GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

Involuntary manslaughter? So is the defendant going to claim that the kid asked him for something for his toothache, and he gave the kid something he thought would help and it killed him?

Involuntary manslaughter? So is the defendant going to claim that the kid asked him for something for his toothache, and he gave the kid something he thought would help and it killed him?

The prosecutor didn't say much, but he emphasized that the death was "unintentional". He mentioned it more than once, saying Little didn't intend to kill Jonathan when he gave him the fentanyl. What? I'm sure it might be difficult to prove that it was intentional homicide, but we can only assume Matthew Little knew that fentanyl was a very dangerous, powerful drug, especially when given to someone who had never used it before.

The prosecutor also made sure to mention that Jonathan had asked Little for some marijuana and he gave it to him. I'm picking up on a "blame the victim" slant to this prosecution. You know, it wasn't the killer's fault that he gave the 14 yo boy fentanyl and he died. o_O

Notice the only property that was subject to legal forfeiture was the vehicle owned by the killer used to transport Jonathan's body to the place where he was buried. IIRC, the home where the drug offense occurred also used to be subject to forfeiture. There have been many stories in the news over the years of parents losing their homes to forfeiture when kids were caught smoking or selling MJ from their home.

They also keep mentioning that Jonathan was a "friend of the family". At least this time they didn't try to make it sound like Jonathan and the 30 yo perp were good friends. What they're not saying is that Jonathan was there as a paid worker, employed by this family to work on the dairy farm. JMO, they are at least liable under civil law and should be subject to fines or other sanctions for operating an unsafe workplace for underage children. Who owns the farm where Jonathan died?

JMO

That's a possibility.... .

Listening to the presser, it was very clear that they did not believe Jonathan's death was premeditated or intentional.

I only heard that defendant allegedly gave JM marijuana. I don't recall prosecutor alleging defendant gave JM fentanyl but that he found him deceased and did nothing to help and/or report his death.

Prosecutor reported there was a very small amount of heroin located during the search, and I got the feeling they were leaning more towards defendant endangering a child and permitting drug abuse (in Little's position of trust).

With several third degree and lesser charges, I believe Prosecutor charging what they think they can prove, and not necessarily what may have been actual truth.

Hopefully the stacking of the charges will result in a meaningful penalty sentence for the tragic loss of Jonathan.

MOO

Last edited:
How can you involuntarily manslaughter the same person 4 times? I’m more confused than ever.

Aggravators of a crime such as causing death of minor child, while also in a position of trust will often each count as a single charge (manslaughter).

I'm waiting for the actual indictment to be posted to confirm.

MOO

That's a possibility.... .

Listening to the presser, it was very clear that they did not believe Jonathan's death was premeditated or intentional.

I only heard that defendant allegedly gave JM marijuana. I don't recall prosecutor alleging defendant gave JM fentanyl but that he found him deceased and did nothing to help and/or report his death.

Prosecutor reported there was a very small amount of heroin located during the search, and I got the feeling they were leaning more towards defendant endangering a child and permitting drug abuse (in Little's position of trust).

With several third degree and greater charges, I believe Prosecutor charging what they think they can prove, and not necessarily what may have been actual truth.

Hopefully the stacking of the charges will result in a meaningful penalty sentence for the tragic loss of Jonathan.

MOO

The prosecutor does state that Little is charged with "corrupting another with drugs" which led to the overdose. He says Jonathan's death occurred as a result of being furnished a fentanyl related compound by Little. Listen beginning around 3:14. That's as close as it gets, but it could be clearer, I agree. It sounds like Little is accused of giving the fentanyl compound to Jonathan. Of course, Little will probably say that Jonathan asked for the drug, which seems unlikely. Jonathan isn't around to tell his side of the story.

The prosecutor didn't say much, but he emphasized that the death was "unintentional". He mentioned it more than once, saying Little didn't intend to kill Jonathan when he gave him the fentanyl. What? I'm sure it might be difficult to prove that it was intentional homicide, but we can only assume Matthew Little knew that fentanyl was a very dangerous, powerful drug, especially when given to someone who had never used it before.

The prosecutor also made sure to mention that Jonathan had asked Little for some marijuana and he gave it to him. I'm picking up on a "blame the victim" slant to this prosecution. You know, it wasn't the killer's fault that he gave the 14 yo boy fentanyl and he died. o_O

Notice the only property that was subject to legal forfeiture was the vehicle owned by the killer used to transport Jonathan's body to the place where he was buried. IIRC, the home where the drug offense occurred also used to be subject to forfeiture. There have been many stories in the news over the years of parents losing their homes to forfeiture when kids were caught smoking or selling MJ from their home.

They also keep mentioning that Jonathan was a "friend of the family". At least this time they didn't try to make it sound like Jonathan and the 30 yo perp were good friends. What they're not saying is that Jonathan was there as a paid worker, employed by this family to work on the dairy farm. JMO, they are at least liable under civil law and should be subject to fines or other sanctions for operating an unsafe workplace for underage children. Who owns the farm where Jonathan died?

JMO

As both the address of the defendant and the farm appear to be the same, and the farm is owned by an Ohio privately held Corporation identified as "Ernest Little"-- a single location business.

Categorized under Dairies. Manta records show it was established in 1970 and incorporated in Ohio. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 97000 and employs a staff of approximately 1.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm745hc/ernest-little

This is hardly a big farm operation but a small family farm -- one that would likely hire family friends to work weekends. I question if it was the defendant that was tired of working on the family property, and he who hired Jonathan to lighten his own work load.

More evidence the farm was small operation as it received farm subsidies beginning 1995 to at least 2012.

EWG's Farm Subsidy Database

From JM's obituary posted earlier:

Jonathan was currently a 7th grade student at the Bell-Herron Middle School in Carrollton. ...

He had also been working on a farm for several years where he assisted in feeding, milking, and caring for the cattle, as well as other necessary dairy farm chores. ....

.... It was his nature to help people whenever needed, and he enjoyed the companionship of animals. bbm

As both the address of the defendant and the farm appear to be the same, and the farm is owned by an Ohio privately held Corporation identified as "Ernest Little"-- a single location business.

Categorized under Dairies. Manta records show it was established in 1970 and incorporated in Ohio. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 97000 and employs a staff of approximately 1.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm745hc/ernest-little

This is hardly a big farm operation but a small family farm -- one that would likely hire family friends to work weekends. I question if it was the defendant that was tired of working on the family property, and he who hired Jonathan to lighten his own work load.

More evidence the farm was small operation as it received farm subsidies beginning 1995 to at least 2012.

From JM's obituary posted earlier:

Jonathan was currently a 7th grade student at the Bell-Herron Middle School in Carrollton. ...

He had also been working on a farm for several years where he assisted in feeding, milking, and caring for the cattle, as well as other necessary dairy farm chores. ....

.... It was his nature to help people whenever needed, and he enjoyed the companionship of animals. bbm

It's a little confusing right now, but from what was reported today, the Mobile Rd. farm, where Little was arrested today, is the location where JM was buried. He was killed at another farm, likely also owned by the Little family.

Hopefully this will be cleared up when the indictments become available in the coming days.

Re EL, assume that is a relative. It still seems unusual that location where JM died has not been made public.

ETA: This article in the Canton Repository today gives a different address.

UPDATE: 15-count indictment filed over Jonathan Minard's death

Matthew H. Little, 30, of Arrow Road NW, was working about 3 p.m. at the same Washington Township farm where Jonathan Minard’s body was found in a shallow grave April 19, five days after the boy was reported missing.

Here's another farm in this county likely owned by the family. Is this the location where JM was killed?

Last edited:
I have thought from the beginning that there was a reason for the delay in an arrest - and now these weak charges ? I’m hoping his family goes after a civil action for wrongful death - I think there is way more going on here IMO

Carroll County man charged in death of Jonathan Minard

CARROLLTON A Carroll County man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 14-year-old boy whose body was found in a shallow grave on a Washington Township farm in April.

Matthew Little was arrested Wednesday afternoon after a grand jury indicted him on 15 criminal charges stemming from the death of Jonathan E. Minard, of Dellroy.

Carroll County man charged in death of Jonathan Minard

Yaaay !!! Finally.
I feared this case was going to be hushed up.
So happy to be wrong.
Now nail the creep !

I want him to answer for Jonathan's death and why he thought it was fine to bury him and let his family suffer.

Eta : Hope there's not more disappointments coming. Agreed with above poster who said the family should launch a civil lawsuit.

Last edited:
It's a little confusing right now, but from what was reported today, the Mobile Rd. farm, where Little was arrested today, is the location where JM was buried. He was killed at another farm, likely also owned by the Little family.

Hopefully this will be cleared up when the indictments become available in the coming days.

Re EL, assume that is a relative. It still seems unusual that location where JM died has not been made public.

ETA: This article in the Canton Repository today gives a different address.

Here's another farm in this county likely owned by the family. Is this the location where JM was killed?

Probably best to wait on booking info for current info.

Arrow Rd is defendant's "past address" per mylife.

Recent Address
2276 Mobile Rd Ne
Carrollton, OH

Matthew Little (Herbert), 30 - Carrollton, OH Has Court or Arrest Records at MyLife.com™

Sept 4, 2019

CARROLLTON When authorities arrested a Carroll County man Tuesday afternoon on a 15-count secret indictment in connection with the April death of a 14-year-old boy, the suspect “didn’t seem concerned,” said Sheriff Dale R. Williams.

Matthew H. Little, 30, of Arrow Road NW, was working about 3 p.m. at the same Washington Township farm where Jonathan Minard’s body was found in a shallow grave April 19, five days after the boy was reported missing.

[...]

Little was booked into the Carroll County Jail pending a bond hearing scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday, Carroll County Prosecutor Steve Barnett announced in a press conference Wednesday evening.

Barnett said the grand jury heard two hours of testimony, including testimony from two detectives.

The panel returned indictments, charging Little with three counts of involuntary manslaughter with three counts of underlying accompanying felonies that include corrupting another with drugs, permitting drug abuse and endangering children.

The indictments allege Little gave Minard a fentanyl-related compound, permitted the property to be used for the drug offense and, while in charge of the teen, “created a risk of serious physical harm to the child resulting in his death,” he said.

Little is also charged with heroin possession, involuntary manslaughter by permitting drug abuse resulting in the child’s death, reckless homicide, corrupting another with drugs, furnishing marijuana, evidence tampering and gross abuse of a corpse. And is he charged with two misdemeanors: falsification and failure to report knowledge of a death.

Two of the involuntary manslaughter charges are first-degree felonies, each carrying a potential prison term of up 11 years. The other felonies could add more prison time if Little is convicted.

Barnett said his office will not comment on details or specifics of the evidence. The case has not yet gone to trial.

@Niner

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back