Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brandywine Valley SPCA branch in Delaware has been a central point for the rescue operations: On Wednesday, it received 122 animals from Jasper County, South Carolina, and 45 animals from the Outer Banks, North Carolina, via land transport from Best Friends Animal Society.

Brandywine Valley SPCA

The Humane Society of the United States has also coordinated several large animal evacuations. The organization airlifted about 80 cats and dogs out of three animal shelters in Florida and transported about 150 cats and dogs from two shelters in South Carolina, according to public information officer Kirsten Peek.
Hundreds of dogs and cats are being rescued from Hurricane Dorian. Here's how to help

I Hope Everyone In Contact With This Site And Over In Those Areas In General Are All Okay This Is Such Upsetting News But So Much Worse For All Of You. Update As Much As Possible We All Want You Guys To Stay Safe!! I Would Personally Be Listening To Music And Hiding If It Were Me, Music Soothes The Soul.
Much Love From This Oregonian And Many Other Sleuthers!!

WakeMed
Residents can use the code “storm19” through September 8, in the WakeMed Virtual Urgent Care app to get care for free. All you need is an internet connection to be seen by local providers who staff North Carolina ERs.

Additionally, WakeMed and RelyMD will provide free telemedicine services to state-operated shelters who in turn are caring for coastal evacuees. You can learn more about the service here on their website.

Duke Health
Duke Health says they will waive virtual urgent care fees for people living in counties directly impacted by Dorian. Anyone in need of non-emergency medical care during the storm can connect via Duke Health Anywhere. Once you connect, you can follow directions to access the coupon code.
Free, virtual urgent care offered during Hurricane Dorian

***UNC Health Care will offer free access to its online primary care service to people in North Carolina affected by Hurricane Dorian. Through this service, you can access board-certified primary care physicians online using your phone, tablet or computer. It offers simple, around-the-clock care from anywhere in North Carolina for non-emergency medical issues. Appropriate conditions include allergies, coughs, fever, headaches, nausea, insect bites, pink eye, sore throat, rash, vomiting and more.
UNC Provides Free Online Access to Primary Care During Dorian

***The Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, a niche Palm Beach-based cruise line, is mounting a relief mission to hurricane-ravaged Grand Bahama and is offering to take charities and relief workers free of charge.

The company’s ship, Grand Celebration, is expecting to leave the Port of Palm Beach sometime later Thursday afternoon, after stocking up on relief supplies and boarding U.S.-based Bahamians who want to check on their families, CEO Oneil Khosa said.

“We want more and more people to benefit from this,” Khosa said. “This is going to be one of the only viable links to transporting goods and people to Freeport.”
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article234739352.html

***“At VCA, pet health is our top priority at all times, especially during crisis situations like Hurricane Dorian, which is displacing thousands of residents and their pets,” said Dr. Bob Doak, senior vice president of VCA Animal Hospitals. “VCA hospitals located outside the hurricane area -- in Florida, Georgia, Virginia and other states -- are extending free pet boarding, so impacted families can focus on the emergency situation, knowing their pets are in a safe and caring environment.”

Click here to find VCA hospital locations in your area. We recommend contacting the hospital -- in advance of arrival -- to confirm boarding space and availability.
VCA Animal Hospitals Offers Free Boarding for Pets Evacuating Hurricane Dorian

***Verizon’s unlimited calling, texts and data offer has been expanded to include customers in North Carolina in Hurricane Dorian’s path.

Wednesday through Monday, customers who live in the following counties qualify for the free service:

North Carolina: Beaufort County, Brunswick County, Carteret County, Craven County, Currituck County, Dare County, Duplin County, Jones County, New Hanover County, Onslow County, Pamlico County, Pender County, Perquimans County, Sampson County, Tyrrell County, Washington County

South Carolina: Beaufort County, Berkeley County, Charleston County, Colleton County, Dorchester County, Georgetown County, Horry County, Jasper County
NC customers in path of Dorian eligible for free unlimited data, texts, calls

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.1N 78.5W
ABOUT 45 MI...75 KM SSE OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 85 MI...140 KM SSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 35 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...960 MB...28.35 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Tropical Storm Watch from Woods Hole to Sagamore Beach,
Massachusetts, and for Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket has been
changed to a Tropical Storm Warning.

The Hurricane Warning from Savannah River to south of Edisto Beach,
South Carolina has been changed to a Tropical Storm Warning.

The Storm Surge Warning has been discontinued south of Little River
Inlet.

O/T: This site has been a beast! to load and hang up and refresh all day long. I noticed someone else posted they were noticing problems also. I finally gave up for a while.

Back on-topic: I hope everyone affected is safe and can check in when possible and that the damage will be as minimal as possible.

Thankfully, my neighborhood isn't included in the outages. I do have a ton of trees in my backyard though.

It’s been a nightmare for a couple of days now when posting and replying and refreshing but tonight in particular in the UK , WS is lagging soooo much and it’s so frustrating especially when worrying about our WS friends across the pond in the eye of storm Doria and hoping they are ok

O/T: This site has been a beast! to load and hang up and refresh all day long. I noticed someone else posted they were noticing problems also. I finally gave up for a while.

Back on-topic: I hope everyone affected is safe and can check in when possible and that the damage will be as minimal as possible.

It’s been a nightmare for a couple of days now when posting and replying and refreshing but tonight in particular in the UK , WS is lagging soooo much and it’s so frustrating especially when worrying about our WS friends across the pond in the eye of storm Doria and hoping they are ok

North Carolina is in for a "long night ahead," Gov. Roy Cooper warned Thursday, urging residents to stay inside and "hunker down" until the storm passes.

"Hurricane Dorian is ready to unleash its fury on our state," Cooper said.

Dorian may make landfall in North Carolina between Wilmington and the Outer Banks as it skims the coastline overnight.

"This won’t be a brush-by," Cooper added. "Whether it comes ashore or not, the eye of the storm will be close enough to cause extensive damage."
Hurricane Dorian 'ready to unleash its fury' on North Carolina

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

Corrected to add Tropical Storm Warning from Edisto Beach to South
Santee River

...EYEWALL OF DORIAN VERY NEAR CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...33.4N 78.0W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM S OF CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM KM S OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...964 MB...28.47 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Storm Surge Warning has been discontinued west of Cape Fear.

The Hurricane Warning from Edisto Beach SC to the South Santee
River has been changed to Tropical Storm Warning.

The Tropical Storm Warning south of Edisto Beach has been
discontinued.

I hope everyone here in Dorian’s path is holding up well.

I’m approximately here in Nova Scotia right on the Bay of Fundy/Atlantic:

7146154E-E2C9-4E1A-920A-BBA90AEE14E7.jpeg

They’re now asking us to brace for a hurricane, not a cyclone:

39CF516F-F1BC-44F0-8F50-3E9F3C3D36E6.png

We recently had a cyclone, and it wasn’t too bad.

Odd thing is: no sign of birds today, and normally there are pheasants, hummingbirds etc. around all day.

Complete silence.

Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

SUMMARY OF 900 PM EDT...0100 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...33.5N 77.8W
ABOUT 55 MI...85 KM S OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 110 MI...175 KM SW OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

Everyone stay safe. HUGS!

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, just about 100 miles from Bahamas. Many of us go back and forth b/t Florida and the Bahamas so we have nodding acquaintances with many islanders. Suffice to say that Dorian obliterated some of those islands.

In SFL, we just spent a long Labor Day weekend locked in our homes with our lawn furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong