Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryer's dad's lawyer said she was pretty certain there would be one and she seems to have more experience and expertise with the Canadian legal system than anyone here, as far as I know. She must have a good reason for thinking that.

Link please? I’m unable to locate that comment.

The first I noticed it mentioned was here on WS, members speculation pertaining to the B.C. Coroner’s Office not yet having determined LD’s cause of death. But we don’t know if that’s factual either.

Yes, and of course we have no idea what other videos he may have viewed or enjoyed.
It's still a very odd thing to do. Imo

On the contrary, I thought it was a pretty standard "socially awkward teenager trying to be edgy and troll people" joke. Honestly I think it was very basic and lacking in creativity as far as "edgy" humor goes. I've heard way more "offensive" jokes than that from people I know who have no criminal history.

My guess is because his lawyer who is based in Vancouver was to be present it was more cost effective to have AS travel then for her. It is unfortunate that people with limited means would be required to endure extra costs of travel, loss of work etc for something such as this. He may have been able to view closer to home... assuming all the family members were extended a courtesy of a closer to home arrangement.

Good point. He would have to be in Vancouver to talk with his Vancouver lawyer anyway, so Surrey RCMP headquarters would make sense.

---

I wonder if Ms. Leamon is doing this pro bono. She's a downtown lawyer that has got to bill at around $400/hr. I really wonder how they got connected.

See post #347, the tweet by the G&M reporter attributing the source to AS.

How do you see post number on mobile? Anyone know?

Link please? I’m unable to locate that comment.

The first I noticed it mentioned was here on WS, members speculation pertaining to the B.C. Coroner’s Office not yet having determined LD’s cause of death. But we don’t know if that’s factual either.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5272080?__vfz=medium=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

"Leamon said that RCMP wanted a non-disclosure agreement because they are continuing to investigate the case. She said police may release portions of the video to the public at a future date, at which point Al Schmegelsky would be able to talk about the contents.

She said she expects that a public inquiry into the case will occur in the future and that her client would participate."

It has been reported that BS used Snapchat.

Western Canada: Nationwide manhunt for B.C. murder suspects stretches on

Another online gamer recalled Mr. Schmegelsky making jokes on SnapChat about cutting people’s heads off. When the friend jokingly told him “Don’t start killing people,” Mr. Schmegelsky replied: “I would never do that.”

The man who posed with KM's photo in a newspaper also used Snapchat.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/photo-spreading-online-is-not-b-c-fugitive-kam-mcleod-rcmp/

This is the tweet people are claiming credits AS as the source, but I don't think that's true as all. It is a two sentence summary with 2 different bits of info--Alan watched the video; there are more videos.

The father of #BryerSchmegelsky has now seen the video clip his son recorded before he and #KamMcLeod killed themselves in the wilds of Manitoba.
@globeandmail
has now confirmed the murder suspects took a handful of other videos whilst on the run:

Mike Hager (@MikePHager) | Twitter

This is the reporter that broke the story about more than 1 video. He's not going to out his anonymous source in a tweet. This reporter also was the one earlier this week who was talking about Mounties on vacation. Dude obviously has LE contacts.

MOO

I believe he intended the Hitler thing as a joke. But as for their motives, your guess is as good as mine.

But just the fact that he thinks that's funny is immensely disturbing. To me there were plenty of signs that this was a deeply troubled young man. I mean just that one statement to his former classmate (where he said he wanted to kill her and then himself) reveals violent fantasies and suicidal ideation, if taken seriously.

How do you see post number on mobile? Anyone know?

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5272080?__vfz=medium=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

"Leamon said that RCMP wanted a non-disclosure agreement because they are continuing to investigate the case. She said police may release portions of the video to the public at a future date, at which point Al Schmegelsky would be able to talk about the contents.

She said she expects that a public inquiry into the case will occur in the future and that her client would participate."

Why is she even encouraging this train of thought, that he "will be able to talk" about the video contents in the future? The media needs to stop this, and he he needs to stop responding to their requests. Just because he has the right to talk, doesn't mean it's the moral thing to do. I'd appreciate hearing from someone in AS's situation after some time has passed and the victims' famlies have had a respectful amount of time to grieve.

This is the tweet people are claiming credits AS as the source, but I don't think that's true as all. It is a two sentence summary with 2 different bits of info--Alan watched the video; there are more videos.

The father of #BryerSchmegelsky has now seen the video clip his son recorded before he and #KamMcLeod killed themselves in the wilds of Manitoba.
@globeandmail
has now confirmed the murder suspects took a handful of other videos whilst on the run:

Mike Hager (@MikePHager) | Twitter

This is the reporter that broke the story about more than 1 video. He's not going to out his anonymous source in a tweet. This reporter also was the only earlier this week who was talking about Mounties on vacation. Dude obviously has LE contacts.

MOO

Yeah that doesn't sound to me at all like they were saying he was the source. Why would they divulge a confidential source? And why would the RCMP have told him?

But just the fact that he thinks that's funny is immensely disturbing. To me there were plenty of signs that this was a deeply troubled young man. I mean just that one statement to his former classmate (where he said he wanted to kill her and then himself) reveals violent fantasies and suicidal ideation, if taken seriously.

I disagree. If you heard some of the jokes my husband and friends and I tell each other, I guess you'd think we were about to go out and murder a bunch of people too. As I said, my main reaction to reading about the Hitler joke was "Meh. That's basic." I mean, even certain beloved and long-running TV shows tell way more offensive jokes than that on a weekly basis.

TBH people used to say stuff like that all the time when I was in middle school. Now a lot of those kids were messed up in the head, but as far as I know they never murdered people. Even his classmate seemed to think it was a joke until he actually killed people.

I think a lot of his behavior being disturbing was more in retrospect, but especially in the context of gamer and Airsoft subcultures, it would have seemed weird but not alarming. We're kind of Captain Hindsight-ing the whole thing.

The gun in mouth picture is the only thing that still stands out to me as an obvious red flag.

I disagree. If you heard some of the jokes my husband and friends and I tell each other, I guess you'd think we were about to go out and murder a bunch of people too. As I said, my main reaction to reading about the Hitler joke was "Meh. That's basic." I mean, even certain beloved and long-running TV shows tell way more offensive jokes than that on a weekly basis.

Do you have any examples of long-running TV shows telling more offensive jokes?

Frankly, if you find masturbating to a picture of Hitler funny, they you are not somebody I would want to spend any time with, let's put it that way. Just... wow.

TBH people used to say stuff like that all the time when I was in middle school. Now a lot of those kids were messed up in the head, but as far as I know they never murdered people. Even his classmate seemed to think it was a joke until he actually killed people.

Never heard anything like that at my middle school. Nothing. No Hitler jokes. No Nazi armbands. Again... wow.

Clearly we have very different life experiences and view of what constitutes normal behavior.

I'm not sure where you're from, but I think those emotional appeals on TV are more of an American thing. IMO there is a difference, Canadians are more reserved and private, and reluctant to 'make a spectacle' of themselves, especially on TV, but even in print.

I feel very sorry for AS, because by speaking on TV as he did, he's revealed that he's personally deeply troubled and has no one else to support him. IMO more stable people don't want to emulate him.

Jennifer O’Brien’s very emotional appeal comes to mind.

About police are standing beside the family members, I think AS just escaped everybody's lasso and no one could rein him in for his own good. I am very grateful that Ms. Leamon has stepped up to speak for him, and that the RCMP was able to put a non-disclosure agreement into place.

I think coming into this, AS had a lot of distrust for the police, lawyers, social workers, mental health care workers and so forth because of what he's been through. He did trust the media because he felt those were the only people that were telling him anything. He trusted them with his book. He trusted them to be around when he learned of his son's death. He thought they would be protective and on his side, but instead they put him on a spit and roasted him.

It's interesting to me that BS's mom gave a hand-written note to the Daily Mail of all papers. Why not a Canadian paper? Was it just because that was the reporter that was around that day? Or was it planned: the Daily Mail gets 74M unique visitors while The Globe and Mail (with the largest digital circulation in Canada) only has has 4M unique visitors per week.

Rankings
Globe readership grows, most read in Canada

I wonder if BS's mom understood how wide a reach the Daily Mail has, or if she understood she was adding gasoline to the media fire at all?

KM's parents were "lucky" to have a house set back in some trees, so they were able to barricade at home, but BS's mom had to leave town.

When the RCMP release their report, it will create another media frenzy. What's the best thing the RCMP could do to protect the families? Probably give them some time to brace themselves and then give them the report in advance of the public release, with some time to digest it.

Do you have any examples of long-running TV shows telling more offensive jokes?

South Park and Family Guy come to mind. I will not cite specific examples so as not to get banned LOL.

Frankly, if you find masturbating to a picture of Hitler funny, they you are not somebody I would want to spend any time with, let's put it that way. Just... wow.

I don't find it funny. I find it basic and lacking in creativity.

Never heard anything like that at my middle school. Nothing. No Hitler jokes. No Nazi armbands. Again... wow.

Clearly we have very different life experiences and view of what constitutes normal behavior.

I guess we do...but I will say a lot of those "disturbed" people I know telling offensive and "abnormal" jokes have degrees from Tier 1 colleges, professional jobs, etc.

Bryer's dad's lawyer said she was pretty certain there would be one and she seems to have more experience and expertise with the Canadian legal system than anyone here, as far as I know. She must have a good reason for thinking that.
But she doesn't know what's on the other videos. KM and BS could admit to things, could have taken crime scene photos, basically could made it clear that they were behind the three murders...and then what would there be to inquire about?

I think an inquiry is only necessary when there are unanswered questions, and the phone videos could answer the question of who murdered LD, LF and CD. Are they going to do a public inquiry into BS and why he became the person he is, and put his family on trial in the report? I think not. I don't think Leamon would view that as a positive outcome either.

SBM

It's interesting to me that BS's mom gave a hand-written note to the Daily Mail of all papers. Why not a Canadian paper? Was it just because that was the reporter that was around that day? Or was it planned: the Daily Mail gets 74M unique visitors while The Globe and Mail (with the largest digital circulation in Canada) only has has 4M unique visitors per week.

My guess is that it's because the Daily Mail was the first to pick up AS's book in which he gaslighted her, blamed her for his problems, and accused "fictionally" accused her of being a bad mother.

About police are standing beside the family members, I think AS just escaped everybody's lasso and no one could rein him in for his own good. I am very grateful that Ms. Leamon has stepped up to speak for him, and that the RCMP was able to put a non-disclosure agreement into place.

I think coming into this, AS had a lot of distrust for the police, lawyers, social workers, mental health care workers and so forth because of what he's been through. He did trust the media because he felt those were the only people that were telling him anything. He trusted them with his book. He trusted them to be around when he learned of his son's death. He thought they would be protective and on his side, but instead they put him on a spit and roasted him.

Rankings
Globe readership grows, most read in Canada

I wonder if BS's mom understood how wide a reach the Daily Mail has, or if she understood she was adding gasoline to the media fire at all?

KM's parents were "lucky" to have a house set back in some trees, so they were able to barricade at home, but BS's mom had to leave town.

When the RCMP release their report, it will create another media frenzy. What's the best thing the RCMP could do to protect the families? Probably give them some time to brace themselves and then give them the report in advance of the public release, with some time to digest it.

Point of clarification.

In Canada, families do make emotional appeals on TV to their loved ones, with police standing by their side. That did not happen in this case. No family members made a direct public appeal to BS or KM on TV or otherwise. Therefore, no police stood by their side on TV, because no such appeal was made.

I hope that this will not be misconstrued.

Good point. He would have to be in Vancouver to talk with his Vancouver lawyer anyway, so Surrey RCMP headquarters would make sense.

---

I wonder if Ms. Leamon is doing this pro bono. She's a downtown lawyer that has got to bill at around $400/hr. I really wonder how they got connected.

I’m guessing pro bono. This is giving her major publicity. Strategic lawyer she is. IMO.

It has been reported that BS used Snapchat.

Western Canada: Nationwide manhunt for B.C. murder suspects stretches on

Another online gamer recalled Mr. Schmegelsky making jokes on SnapChat about cutting people’s heads off. When the friend jokingly told him “Don’t start killing people,” Mr. Schmegelsky replied: “I would never do that.”

The man who posed with KM's photo in a newspaper also used Snapchat.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/photo-spreading-online-is-not-b-c-fugitive-kam-mcleod-rcmp/

I would really like to know how the KM newspaper photo was confirmed to be an impersonator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998