Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several of the large black/yellow totes from Home Depot.

I put these items in them:
Photo albums/family pictures
Laptop/hard drive/backup hard drive
Grandmothers quilt/gun/grandfathers pipe

And I leave with these totes. I have people that depend on me, I make the decision to get out. I’ve done it both ways and neither is easy.

Just back from my supply run. The shelves are getting to be very bare in the grocery stores. The boat in/out of Prince Edward Island is shutting down for tomorrow, and possibly Sunday as well...and I guess the Confederation Bridge may also be restricted due to the wind. So I'm hunkered down here in Eastern PEI and hoping this is all over very soon! Be safe everyone!

Just back from my supply run. The shelves are getting to be very bare in the grocery stores. The boat in/out of Prince Edward Island is shutting down for tomorrow, and possibly Sunday as well...and I guess the Confederation Bridge may also be restricted due to the wind. So I'm hunkered down here in Eastern PEI and hoping this is all over very soon! Be safe everyone!
I'm thinking of you and sending good wishes your way!

You be safe too. I visited PEI when my children were little. We camped near the beach and toured all over the island. There was no bridge then, only ferries. I do remember it as a charmingly lovely place. Hoping for the best.

"A bunch of majestic horses that spend their days frolicking on the beach in North Carolina's Outer Banks will not be evacuated.
With Hurricane Dorian quickly approaching, the colonial Spanish mustangs will huddle together and ride out the storm using a trick horses have used for centuries.
They will move to higher ground and gather under sturdy oak trees to shelter from the storm, said the Corolla Wild Horse Fund, which manages the herd and sends a similar reminder during major hurricanes due to the outpouring of concern for the horses. "They'll likely ride out winds and rain as their ancestors did before them — in huddles, butts to the wind," it added.
And unlike human beings living in the Outer Banks, the wild horses are better equipped to handle a hurricane. They're already sensing a change in air pressure and are grouping up together.
"Remember, they've been doing this for 500 years!" the fund said."
Wild horses of the Outer Banks have a special trick to survive hurricanes - CNN

After witnessing what the storm just did to the Bahamas? I'd be out of there without being asked. With my kids and my pets and elderly parents and anyone else who would be my responsibility to keep safe.

And most poor souls in the Bahamas had no place to evacuate to. In the US, one can drive a couple hours in the opposite direction of the storm track to reach safety. Yet, so many in their stubborn, ignorant choices put others in danger. That includes everything one is responsible for.

"A bunch of majestic horses that spend their days frolicking on the beach in North Carolina's Outer Banks will not be evacuated.
With Hurricane Dorian quickly approaching, the colonial Spanish mustangs will huddle together and ride out the storm using a trick horses have used for centuries.
They will move to higher ground and gather under sturdy oak trees to shelter from the storm, said the Corolla Wild Horse Fund, which manages the herd and sends a similar reminder during major hurricanes due to the outpouring of concern for the horses. "They'll likely ride out winds and rain as their ancestors did before them — in huddles, butts to the wind," it added.
And unlike human beings living in the Outer Banks, the wild horses are better equipped to handle a hurricane. They're already sensing a change in air pressure and are grouping up together.

We have wild horses on Sable Island off the south shore of Nova Scotia that may be affected by Dorian.

Happy to hear they know what to do! (And it explains where almost all of the birds went in my yard-change in air pressure).

Checking in, as requested. Definitely less damage than Matthew and Michael. Evacuated, as it was mandatory. Enjoyed the family evacu- cation. Others didn't fare (or listen) unfortunately. There were plenty of free and non full shelters around

Last edited:
I have a nephew in Buxton, NC on Hatteras Island. He says the whole island is under water, he chose to stay even though they have only lived there a few years :( I hope they don't regret it, as I'm sure it'll be a few days before all water recedes. They say they're fine as of this afternoon.

Good that he was able to reach you with news.

I’m hoping they have supplies and can hold on until help arrives, and that happens soon <3

That was so interesting CharlstonGal! Thank you for sharing!

Hurricane John is the longest lasting and traveled the greatest distance of any hurricane in history. It formed in the Pacific Ocean on August 11, 1994 and traveled 7165 miles before dying out on September 10, 1994. It did not make landfall and only affected the Hawaiian Islands and Johnson Atoll with heavy rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998