Votes: 11 57.9%
  • I Am On The Fence - Uncertain

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • She Deserves A New Trial At Least

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a new member and this is my first post

All I can say in my first post is I have no doubts and never have that Darlie Routier slaughtered her children

One simple fact that is incontestable, which is small but relevant, is the dog did not bark once while a “murderous stranger” broke in killing two children.

But when the good guys LE were in the house investigating the murders, the vocal barking dog had to wrangled by a neighbour Karen to be kept quiet and behaved

At the hospital when Detectives mentioned the dog(small type, vocal barking) Darlie told the Detectives the dog does that with people that are strangers. If I recall correctly did the dog not try to nip at the Detective at the murder scene

But the stranger would murder two kids,
play housekeeper,(knowing where towels and cleaning supplies were kept)break wine glasses and over turn the vacuum and then escape through the garage window leaving no trace of blood, leaving no prints no disturbance in the window sill dust or the mulch(mud) below the window he escaped from. Like a phantom....

Wow I guess dogs don’t bark at phantoms or people that that already live in the house

The year is 2019 the boys would have been in their late 20 if Darlie did not slaughter them.

Darlie is where she belongs. The Innocence Project may get things wrong occasionally. I still have some doubts as to why they would be interested in this case

IMO Darlie murder her precious sons, but I have never been able to understand why. What did she hope to gain by murdering them? The motive has always escaped me and I am not saying that I would understand her reasoning or ever find it justifiable, but with Susan Smith we knew it was to get the attention of a man she loved and with Susan Downs almost same motive. What was Darlie's warped motive?

Unfortunately we will never know the exact reason(s)why the boys were slaughtered. People who do this are beyond my knowledge and understanding

But we can speculate...money, resentment of her responsibilities towards the boys, need for control, clean freak OCD, life easier with one baby instead of two active boys who made messes (as kids will)

That may be one of the reasons why she demanded the boys be outside from 9 am to 9 pm. It they were not around inside she did not have to parent them and be responsible for them, easier on Darlie on a day to day basis just to send them outside without any supervision and the inside of the house would be kept all neat and clean without kids making a mess

After the murders Darlie and Darin had announced to family and friends at a solemn gathering directly after the funeral that they had plans in place to travel to Europe. While travelling they hoped to conceive another baby preferably a girl

They solved their money problems by collecting on the boys insurance to the tune of 10k

Went from not being able to pay bills, turned down for a 5k loan, to plans are in place to travel to Europe

So I feel it is probably a combination of several things as to why she slaughtered her kids, but only Darlie knows

I really do think Darlie fully expected to continue with her life, shopping, vacation, having a baby girl and never anticipated that her intruder story would not be believed and the evidence contradicted her story.

She wanted empathy and sympathy for the murder of her boys and her injury. Poor me look what happened to me...feel sorry for me

Kind of like Scott Peterson....he thought his story would be believed and not contradicted by evidence also.

Both are exactly where they belong after presentation of facts at trial and a determination of those facts supporting the guilt of the defendant

One thing I found interesting is that a neighbour who lives directly behind Darlie was surprise that her two dogs were quiet during the slaughter of the boys as was Darlie vocal dog also

The entire neighbourhood was quiet while two boys were slaughtered as they slept, not a sound of any dog sensing danger afoot in the neighbourhood , all the while a stranger slaughtered two children in their own home without leaving any evidence that he was there at all

This is why I have grave difficulty when others make a determination that Darlie is innocent without looking at the entire totality of evidence and not cherry pick one or two things that they feel is supportive of her innocence like that darn silly string video

But ignore the fact that the intruder did not steal valuable jewellery in plain sight including a Rolex watch but went right to murdering two sleeping boys who were not in plain sight in a darkened living room

Does not make sense in reality and fact

BJax there is so much of what you have said I agree with. The first book I read on this case presented Darlie as innocent (sorry I cannot remember the title or author), giving reasonable doubt with evidence of the sock, bloody fingerprint, etc., and to be honest I wanted her to be innocent. The horror of a mother hacking to death her own children was beyond my comprehension, she had to be innocent, no mother would do this. However, after reading the trial transcript of her testimony and every time she is ask a critical questions she "doesn't remember", the true brutality of her son's injuries compared to hers, and that the killer had a knife to cut the window screen to enter the home BUT used a knife from the family kitchen have convinced me Darlie is a monster.

Thank you for bringing up the neighbors and family dog(s) being quiet during this crime, that is a really good point I had not taken into consideration. Plus the jewelry being in plan sight and untouched.

I also read that Darlie was extremely upset and disappointed the baby was another boy and not the girl she wanted to name Darlie after her mother and herself. I believe you are right that this was a combination of reasons and to Darlie a solution to her true sociopathic self. People and things were replaceable to Darlie as long as she got what she wanted in the end.

Is someone able to explain Darlie's wounds to me?
From what I recall, aside from the neck and arm wound, she also had a very large bruise and wounds on her hands.
Thank you!

Is someone able to explain Darlie's wounds to me?
From what I recall, aside from the neck and arm wound, she also had a very large bruise and wounds on her hands.
Thank you!
Regarding Darlie's bruising on her arm, I'm not an expert on this case but the bruises were interesting enough for me to delve into the timing and severity. What I found was that the bruises didn't show up during the 2 1/2 days she was in the hospital and none of the medical personnel noted bruising in their charts.

That tells me that it's highly likely Darlie did something to cause bruises *after* she was released from the hospital. Not only was it suspicious that they showed up so late, remember Darlie was fair skinned and any bruising should have/ would have shown up within 24 hours.

I couldn't come up with an alternative explanation nothwithstanding what Darlie's supporters say.
Statement #3 – Darlie Routier Fact and Fiction
From the link:
Dr. Dillawn examined Darlie’s arm every day, including the day of discharge, and saw no evidence of blunt trauma.

Shook: And is that something you look for in your examination of her?
Dillawn: Yes. If I saw that on somebody’s arm, I would probably want to x-ray their arm.
Shook: Any time on the 6th, did you see any evidence of that type of injury to her right arm?
Dillawn: None at all.
Shook: The 7th?
Dillawn: No
Shook: The 8th?
Dillawn: No.
Shook: Now, if that blunt trauma had occurred on June 6th, about 2:30 in the morning, 1996, would you have seen evidence of that injury on her right arm, Doctor?
Dillawn: In my opinion, yes. This is a lot of blood, yes.
(Patrick Dillawn, Sec. 869)

Dr. Santos: To get that type of bruising, you usually see evidence of it within 24 hours. I would say that injury is 24-48 hours old.
(Alejandro Santos, Sec. 768, 770)

Christopher Wielgosz (nurse): There was no bruising or swelling that would be consistent with blunt trauma. Even a few hours later, I would have seen the beginning of it. There would have been a large amount of localized swelling at the site that the trauma took place, and it would have then taken 24 or 48 hours for it to become apparent.
(Christopher Wielgosz, Sec. 931, 936, 961)

So did the doctors and nurses lie or did Darlie?

Unfortunately we will never know the exact reason(s)why the boys were slaughtered. People who do this are beyond my knowledge and understanding

But we can speculate...money, resentment of her responsibilities towards the boys, need for control, clean freak OCD, life easier with one baby instead of two active boys who made messes (as kids will)

That may be one of the reasons why she demanded the boys be outside from 9 am to 9 pm. It they were not around inside she did not have to parent them and be responsible for them, easier on Darlie on a day to day basis just to send them outside without any supervision and the inside of the house would be kept all neat and clean without kids making a mess

After the murders Darlie and Darin had announced to family and friends at a solemn gathering directly after the funeral that they had plans in place to travel to Europe. While travelling they hoped to conceive another baby preferably a girl

They solved their money problems by collecting on the boys insurance to the tune of 10k

Went from not being able to pay bills, turned down for a 5k loan, to plans are in place to travel to Europe

So I feel it is probably a combination of several things as to why she slaughtered her kids, but only Darlie knows

I really do think Darlie fully expected to continue with her life, shopping, vacation, having a baby girl and never anticipated that her intruder story would not be believed and the evidence contradicted her story.

She wanted empathy and sympathy for the murder of her boys and her injury. Poor me look what happened to me...feel sorry for me

Kind of like Scott Peterson....he thought his story would be believed and not contradicted by evidence also.

Both are exactly where they belong after presentation of facts at trial and a determination of those facts supporting the guilt of the defendant

One thing I found interesting is that a neighbour who lives directly behind Darlie was surprise that her two dogs were quiet during the slaughter of the boys as was Darlie vocal dog also

The entire neighbourhood was quiet while two boys were slaughtered as they slept, not a sound of any dog sensing danger afoot in the neighbourhood , all the while a stranger slaughtered two children in their own home without leaving any evidence that he was there at all

This is why I have grave difficulty when others make a determination that Darlie is innocent without looking at the entire totality of evidence and not cherry pick one or two things that they feel is supportive of her innocence like that darn silly string video

But ignore the fact that the intruder did not steal valuable jewellery in plain sight including a Rolex watch but went right to murdering two sleeping boys who were not in plain sight in a darkened living room

Does not make sense in reality and fact

But they spent more than 10,000 on their funeral and burial. A trip to Europe, even in 1996, would’ve taken up most of that 10,000 (depending on how they did it) that was already spent on the funeral.

Darlie, being all about show (according to prosecutors), certainly would’ve had to have surgery to repair her scars...but while we’re on that subject, I wonder why she would’ve chosen to cut where she did. No amount of surgery could’ve completely repaired that back to normal.

And for being a clean freak OCD (OCD is an actual diagnosis BTW. Liking a clean house doesn’t make a person OCD. Seeing pics of her house both after the murders and before in home videos , if she had OCD it had NOTHING to do with cleaning her house) she certainly made a mess.

I don’t believe for a moment that she made the boys stay outside from 9 am to 9 pm every day. Where exactly would they get food, other than a popsicle out of a freezer in the garage? I know my kids were ALWAYS outside growing up. We mostly lived in southern states, but all year long they wanted to be outside. They’d come in to eat but other than that they were outside playing with friends in our neighborhood. Sometimes they’d all be in our yard, sometimes down the street, sometimes a couple of streets over. Our neighborhoods were always set up like the one where the Routier’s lived. I suppose there were a few in the neighborhood that thought we were neglectful because we didn’t constantly have our eyes on our own children. What those people didn’t know was that we were constantly communicating with the other parents as to when all the kids would arrive and leave as they’d make their way around the neighborhood. When they were seven we bought them long range walkie talkies so we could talk back and forth with them. It gave our kids the same sense of freedom that we had in our childhoods while protecting them from the dangers.

I’ve read the trial transcripts, I’ve actually studied them. I’ve researched the case for about two decades. I understand mother’s kill their children. I believe Darlie is innocent.

It is official, Vanessa Potkin has taken the Darlie Routier murder case. For those of you who do not know who she is, Vanessa is with the Innocence Project and has been onboard there for over 17 years. This is the same Innocence Project of the famous Barry C. Scheck as well as Peter Neufeld, the originators of the original Innocence Project.

Her position with them is that of Director of Post-Conviction Litigation. She has helped pioneer the model of post-conviction DNA litigation used nationwide to exonerate wrongfully convicted persons. She has represented and exonerated over 30 innocent individuals, from Louisiana to Nevada, who collectively served over 500 years of wrongful imprisonment, five of whom were originally prosecuted for capital murder and has been onboard since 2000.

What does this mean exactly? Since the Innocence Project does not take a case if they do not believe in it, this means that they believe in Darlie's innocence and that the state of Texas got this one wrong.

When you stop to consider that the Innocence Project normally will not take cases when the defendant has legal counsel, this, of course, becomes much more significant since Darlie is represented by Mr. Cooper as well. Apparently, this points to the fact that they believe the state of Texas got this one so wrong they are stepping in to help.

While I am very well aware that there a several of you in this forum who ultimately believe in her guilt, living in Texas myself and not too far from where these murders occurred, I have always had serious doubts about this case.

My background: I have been a legal professional for much of my adult life starting at the age of 16, I have been involved in most aspects of the law and understand how the "Texas" system works and shall we say does not work. I am fully apprised of the fact that Texas votes all of their high powered attorneys into office and how political this absolutely is. Further, I am ultimately aware of just how difficult it is in Texas to get any conviction either overturned or getting a new trial for those unfortunate enough to be seeking a new trial. While criminal law is certainly not my forte, I have known and still do know many of the old big players in the Dallas area especially during this era.

Looking forward to your viewpoints on this case and the fact that the Innocence Project has jumped into the fray despite her having legal representation.

Im based in the UK and a member of the general public, I’ve long since seen the documentaries on Darlies case and wanted to know if anyone had looked at her case as sexually motivated? Robert Howard Bruce is a convicted burglar, rapist and he attempted to murder a policeman his wife and child. He is also known as the ‘Ether’ rapist, some of the signature in his case is apparent in Darlies.

I know her case was investigated as an intruder/burglary;however I think she was the target, and a victim of sexual assault (which would explain also why nothing was stolen, jewellery etc). I think she was smothered with Ether (accounts for the soreness in her mouth, why she didn’t awake during any of the assaults, her dizziness, and memory loss). Two cases that he was convicted for one woman awoke from being asleep in her bed to being in her garden in just her t-shirt no pants (I understand Darlie has no idea where her panties were as she had fell asleep in them) Robert is also known for taking items of clothing with him. Another of his victims awoke to him attempting to put a sock on her foot.

Darlie said she thinks her son may have woken her up by calling her, I believe Devon woke to see his mother being molested by Robert, I believe he then attacked Devon, and Damon woke to see Devon being attacked, called his mother and tried to go toward her when Robert then attacked him, when he thought both children were dead he then attempted to kill Darlie. Does anyone know if a rape kit was performed when Darlie was taken to hospital?

Robert is known to flee on foot, Eagle Drive is so close to Route 66. Robert operated between 1985 and 2006 and regularly flew into Dallas and then drove to Oklahoma to carry out attacks, he also attacked women in Lubbock, Austin, Colorado and New Mexico, he regularly stalked women for up to a year, had dark shoulder length hair and is tall. He also shopped in Dallas regularly.

Detective Jim Parks of the Norman Police Dept has investigated cold cases with regard to Robert Howard Bruce. I have tried to contact him but to no avail.

Finally, I know a lot of emphasis is on the fibres from the bread knife, was those fibreglass fibres ever compared to the fibreglass used in the printed circuit boards at Darliesworkplace? Their dinner that night was soup and rolls, if Darin cut a roll and just as a habit wiped the knife on his workshirt and put it back in the knife block?

Now I will tsay IF she did actually do it ( which I cant explain why I don't think she did ) But we cant seem to come up with a solid motive except she wanted a girl? has anyone thought she might have had serious post postpartum ( I mean come on she was obviously a little mental, I'm bi polar and I defiantly recognize some sort of mental there just from watching the videos) my point being If she snapped and murdered them does she really belong on death row? its a legitimate illness just ask anyone who has suffered , shes easy to hate but I just find something really off with her being guilty , it doesn't ring of a Susan Smith just to get them out of the way , and then what life goes back to normal? I don't know what it is with me and this case. I know I know I'm sure Cami wants to choke me every time I post because I just cant be reasoned with on this one ( Cami you know I love you )

Im based in the UK and a member of the general public, I’ve long since seen the documentaries on Darlies case and wanted to know if anyone had looked at her case as sexually motivated? Robert Howard Bruce is a convicted burglar, rapist and he attempted to murder a policeman his wife and child. He is also known as the ‘Ether’ rapist, some of the signature in his case is apparent in Darlies.

I know her case was investigated as an intruder/burglary;however I think she was the target, and a victim of sexual assault (which would explain also why nothing was stolen, jewellery etc). I think she was smothered with Ether (accounts for the soreness in her mouth, why she didn’t awake during any of the assaults, her dizziness, and memory loss). Two cases that he was convicted for one woman awoke from being asleep in her bed to being in her garden in just her t-shirt no pants (I understand Darlie has no idea where her panties were as she had fell asleep in them) Robert is also known for taking items of clothing with him. Another of his victims awoke to him attempting to put a sock on her foot.

Darlie said she thinks her son may have woken her up by calling her, I believe Devon woke to see his mother being molested by Robert, I believe he then attacked Devon, and Damon woke to see Devon being attacked, called his mother and tried to go toward her when Robert then attacked him, when he thought both children were dead he then attempted to kill Darlie. Does anyone know if a rape kit was performed when Darlie was taken to hospital?

Robert is known to flee on foot, Eagle Drive is so close to Route 66. Robert operated between 1985 and 2006 and regularly flew into Dallas and then drove to Oklahoma to carry out attacks, he also attacked women in Lubbock, Austin, Colorado and New Mexico, he regularly stalked women for up to a year, had dark shoulder length hair and is tall. He also shopped in Dallas regularly.

Detective Jim Parks of the Norman Police Dept has investigated cold cases with regard to Robert Howard Bruce. I have tried to contact him but to no avail.

Finally, I know a lot of emphasis is on the fibres from the bread knife, was those fibreglass fibres ever compared to the fibreglass used in the printed circuit boards at Darliesworkplace? Their dinner that night was soup and rolls, if Darin cut a roll and just as a habit wiped the knife on his workshirt and put it back in the knife block?
WOW good find ! Off to check this guy out !

All I can say in my first post is I have no doubts and never have that Darlie Routier slaughtered her children

One simple fact that is incontestable, which is small but relevant, is the dog did not bark once while a “murderous stranger” broke in killing two children.

But when the good guys LE were in the house investigating the murders, the vocal barking dog had to wrangled by a neighbour Karen to be kept quiet and behaved

At the hospital when Detectives mentioned the dog(small type, vocal barking) Darlie told the Detectives the dog does that with people that are strangers. If I recall correctly did the dog not try to nip at the Detective at the murder scene

play housekeeper,(knowing where towels and cleaning supplies were kept)break wine glasses and over turn the vacuum and then escape through the garage window leaving no trace of blood, leaving no prints no disturbance in the window sill dust or the mulch(mud) below the window he escaped from. Like a phantom....

Wow I guess dogs don’t bark at phantoms or people that that already live in the house

The year is 2019 the boys would have been in their late 20 if Darlie did not slaughter them.

Darlie is where she belongs. The Innocence Project may get things wrong occasionally. I still have some doubts as to why they would be interested in this case

Now I will tsay IF she did actually do it ( which I cant explain why I don't think she did ) But we cant seem to come up with a solid motive except she wanted a girl? has anyone thought she might have had serious post postpartum ( I mean come on she was obviously a little mental, I'm bi polar and I defiantly recognize some sort of mental there just from watching the videos) my point being If she snapped and murdered them does she really belong on death row? its a legitimate illness just ask anyone who has suffered , shes easy to hate but I just find something really off with her being guilty , it doesn't ring of a Susan Smith just to get them out of the way , and then what life goes back to normal? I don't know what it is with me and this case. I know I know I'm sure Cami wants to choke me every time I post because I just cant be reasoned with on this one ( Cami you know I love you )

I love you too girly, LOL.

The thing is with post partum depression and I am quite sure she did have some, Drake was 8 mos old and she attacked the two older boys. Isn't it the baby you want to get rid of when you have PPD? I believe Darlie was depressed at the time of the murders because her life was falling apart. The business was failing, there was no more money. Their house was going to be foreclosed on. The IRS was after Darin for $10,000. They couldn't borrow the $5000 so she could go on vacation to Cancun with her girlfriends and destress. Her marriage was falling apart. She was depressed no doubt. But that isn't any reason to give her the out. Unless you believe she tried to kill herself that night and chickened out. (I don't).

But Darlie would not allow any kind of mental health testimony, nor would she agree to take psychological tests or agree to counselling.

You know I believe Darin told her to pack her bags and get out that night after the big fight. She was so proud of that home. She had decorated their bedrooms, etc. the home was clean and tidy. I don't think the motive had anything to do with her wanting a girl. Darin had been supporting her since she was 18, she had no employment skills.What is she going to do, go back to Mama D with three kids in tow? When these sorts of crimes occur the motive always lies in the family dynamics. Like MacDonald, Powell, Peterson, Stuart. These murders were rage killings, not planned for any length of time. Darlie was in a rage that night and the rage was at Darin. I believe the motive is Spousal Revenge Filicide

Does she belong on DR? Absolutely, she is a danger to society because she can manipulate without blinking an eye and she's cold as ice. She will not confess or take responsibility for the crime and she shows no remorse. She was also eligible for parole so I believe that's why the jury gave her the DP. Don't forget they got to see her and judge her veracity for themselves. She convicted herself when she got up and testified. The jury knew she was lying her head off.

Some on this forum appear to be overly desperate to defend this conviction, which makes me all the more believe that it is going to crumble!
If you mean me, not going to happen. Yes I defend those two innocent little boys who were brutally murdered and by their own mother. Her conviction is solid and will not crumble.

I believe it's because the IP wants the DP abolished regardless of the guilt or innocence of the convicted person. Why would they suddenly take up Darlie's case after turning her down twice, once by Texas and once by New York? Nor has her case ever been noted on their website. I believe Potkin did consult and they certainly did consult on the partial print that was run through AFIS. That appears to be the extent of their help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back