GUILTY GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, maybe not.

Google search=
In the state of Ohio, aggravated murder can be defined as: An intentional, preplanned, and premeditated act that is designed to cause the death of another person, or the termination of another person's pregnancy

Did she pre-plan? I don’t think we have had any evidence of that.

Did she intentionally cause the baby to die? Perhaps, but I do not see enough evidence to support that.

Premeditated? I don’t think she thought ahead of whatever the current day was. She felt she had enough time to decide what to do, how to handle telling parents, etc

A guilty verdict has to come by way of enough supporting evidence or facts, not just from a gut feeling or desire on the part of jurors.
I can’t help but think of the Casey Anthony case and she was acquitted of all degrees of murder - I think the summations and jury instructions will decide this trial IMO

Here is a question: Do 15, 16 17 & 18 year old high school kids know this??? I think Safe Haven information should be posted or mentioned in every health class. Unwed teen mothers will be having babies forever. Maybe it can help reduce the risk of neonatacide & give the next Skyler or her friend the knowledge needed to encourage this choice. This is a fairly new law it isnt something most young teen girls are focused on.

Absolutely - BSR case alone should provide for this as a Public Service Announcement (PSA).

Ironically, birth parent protection per Safe Haven regulation is often posted at Planned Parenthood -- the organization with poor quality doctors per KR.

* Fear of her mother
* Fear of rejection
* Fear of confrontation and conflict
* Fear of not being good enough

These fitted me and all my friends growing up. Isn't that kinda normal or not?
Yes I lived that way and was a very shy person. Also I could have been considered having anorexia with my weight and height.

I think you misunderstood my point. To make it more clear:

1. I'm convinced it was a major, perhaps fatal strategic error by the defense to have put that psych expert on the stand.

2. He was essentially tasked with convincing the jury that Skylar made a false confession, and why she would have done so.

3. IMO he was prevented from presenting ANY diagnosis he made in full context, because to do so would necessitate providing ammunition to the State: that Skylar's pathological submission to authority stemmed from her enmeshed relationship with Kim, which would make it more likely she would have done anything to stay Kim's wrath, including killing her baby.

4. Absent the presentation of any other context, yes, I think the diagnosis he presented will seem very vague to the jury, and worse case, as an absurd rationale for how she responded in the second interrogation.

That isn't a dismissal or minimalization of the disorder itself, much less of mental illness as a whole.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I definitely misinterpreted your post, so my apologies! :) And as I said, the latter part wasn’t really directed at your words. It just seemed like a good time to mention it, as we do have such a varied audience of participants and lurkers here.

I actually agree with much of what you’re saying here - having only read the summaries of his testimony so far. It will be interesting to see what the jury took from it all.

The defense claims police were overzealous in questioning Richardson because they believed at the time she burned her baby.

Brooke Richardson trial: Defense rests after Day 7

Overzealous?

The coroner's forensic pathologist had just told LE that the baby’s remains were charred --- initiating police to request BSR come back to police station for 2nd interview.

I don't know that I could sit face to face very long with BSR if I had scientific information before me indicating BSR had char-burned her newborn. :eek:

However, after there were in-fact no charred bones recovered, I do think prosecutor failed to rethink questions posed to the testifying detectives.

MOO

Witness Bassman: Says that Skylar shared with him that she was abused sexually by a boy "she admired" and "looked up to."

Molly Reed on Twitter
Would this be what the Dad was alluding to yesterday in testimony when he said “there was an uncomfortable relationship with a boy and some bullying “? ****Not sure how to share the video!**
Also,Bassman said this abuse happened when she was 12 and then defense atty asks him to confirm it was 8th grade. Wouldn’t she be 14 or 15 in 8th grade? Not trying to split hairs here, abuse is horrible no matter what age and the younger the victim, the more heinous. Just find it interesting that they keep focusing on age 12/13 like they are trying to drill into the jury and make them view the 18 yr old adult defendant as a helpless 12 yr old child.

Just working through all these threads because the case fascinates me. While I believe the baby was doomed, I think there's also a believable chance that the baby was mortally injured during the birth, causing the head injury. Skylar was alone and deep in denial, so she was definitely not in tune with what was happening to her body as she laboured. Even an experienced labouring mother has a last minute urge to sit on the toilet, and midwives will warn you that you do NOT want to do this. Fight that instinct and stay on the bed/ floor, wherever. Babies can be injured falling into the toilet, and Skylar did not have anyone there to monitor the baby's position.

Evan Millward‏Verified account @EvanMillward
RICHARDSON: Dr. LeVaughn tells the jury that, based on what is recovered of the baby, it is not possible to tell if death was by suicide, accidental, homicide, or natural causes. Is therefore "undetermined." @WCPO

10:23 AM - 11 Sep 2019

Yeah but he's not the coroner. And the coroner bases a determination of manner of death on the totality of the circumstances.

So while COD is undetermined manner of death can still be determined and it was officially here.

The defense often try to fool the jury as to what is meant by "homicidal violence". If a parent peacefully euthanized an infant like one does a pet, that would be homicidal violence. Because it's an intentional and illegal killing.

Just working through all these threads because the case fascinates me. While I believe the baby was doomed, I think there's also a believable chance that the baby was mortally injured during the birth, causing the head injury. Skylar was alone and deep in denial, so she was definitely not in tune with what was happening to her body as she laboured. Even an experienced labouring mother has a last minute urge to sit on the toilet, and midwives will warn you that you do NOT want to do this. Fight that instinct and stay on the bed/ floor, wherever. Babies can be injured falling into the toilet, and Skylar did not have anyone there to monitor the baby's position.

I think that's where the child endangerment charges come in. If she purposefully failed to seek care for the birth or the baby and that led to its death, or injury, that could suffice I believe.

Would this be what the Dad was alluding to yesterday in testimony when he said “there was an uncomfortable relationship with a boy and some bullying “? ****Not sure how to share the video!**
Also,Bassman said this abuse happened when she was 12 and then defense atty asks him to confirm it was 8th grade. Wouldn’t she be 14 or 15 in 8th grade? Not trying to split hairs here, abuse is horrible no matter what age and the younger the victim, the more heinous. Just find it interesting that they keep focusing on age 12/13 like they are trying to drill into the jury and make them view the 18 yr old adult defendant as a helpless 12 yr old child.
I'm interested in this detail too. Based on her age at graduation (she turned 18 during the March just before she graduated), BSR would have been 13/14 in 8th grade. Not sure if this means the abuse incident was separate from the later bullying/relationship issues, or if it started at 12 and then continued into 8th grade, or some other scenario.

* Fear of her mother
* Fear of rejection

Sure, I think most (maybe all) adolescents struggle with these fears (maybe not fear of mother; I'd say true fear is different than just knowing your mother will enforce consequences). What's different about BSR in my opinion based on what we've seen is how she reacted to these fears and how they affected her behavior and choices to a more pathological level than I assume your fears affected you and your friends.

Again, I don't believe this is an EXCUSE for killing her baby (if she did), causing the baby's death (if she did), burying it in the backyard, or not asking for help. I do find the perfect storm of nature/nurture/pathology to be some of the most interesting information in a case like this, though.

* Fear of her mother
* Fear of rejection

There is a vast difference between normal teenage shyness and fears, and psychological disorder. “Oh everyone feels like that!” type statements belittle the significant impact these very real disorders have on people’s lives.

It is normal to feel down sometimes, but it doesn’t mean you have depression. Most people feel anxiety sometimes, but if it’s not out of control and all the time, it’s probably not an anxiety disorder.
It’s normal for teenagers to want to please, and to worry about disappointing their parents, but if it becomes pathological and distorts their thinking and self worth, then that’s something else.

It’s like seeing someone with asthma and saying “well I get out of breath when I run too.” It’s not the same, and it creates stigma because people with very real illnesses are not taken seriously.

Yes I lived that way and was a very shy person. Also I could have been considered having anorexia with my weight and height.

Anorexia isn’t just being underweight, though. It’s a persistent absence of eating- and in the case of anorexia nervosa, it’s a pervasive psychological disorder with very marked and well documented symptoms. You wouldn’t have been considered to have anorexia without these signs, or based on your weight and height alone.

Yeah but he's not the coroner. And the coroner bases a determination of manner of death on the totality of the circumstances.

So while COD is undetermined manner of death can still be determined and it was officially here.

The defense often try to fool the jury as to what is meant by "homicidal violence". If a parent peacefully euthanized an infant like one does a pet, that would be homicidal violence. Because it's an intentional and illegal killing.

@gitana1 I am so glad you are on this case. So you can help with some of legal explanations. Much appreciated!

Even the State's witnesses conceded the "head injury" occured post-mortem.

I was watching Dr Stewart Bassman’s testimony again from today and during redirect, Mr Rittgers mentioned that Dr Wong found a search on BSR phone/computer by BSR on “Babypedia” regarding baby clothes?

I searched the keywords “Babypedia”, “Babypedia” and “Babiepedia” and couldn’t come up with anything other than an Amazon book by the name of Babypedia and an Instagram user with the name of Babipedia.

I couldn’t find any baby clothing sites or any other baby informational sites with that name.

Amazon book - ‘Babypedia’ - https://www.amazon.com/Babypedia/dp/344217564X

IG - ’Babipedia’ - Babipedia (@babipedia) • Instagram photos and videos

And no matches that I could find of a domain name with the spelling of ‘Babiepedia’

JMO

Even the State's witnesses conceded the "head injury" occured post-mortem.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what they conceded was that they couldn't say with certainty that any skull fractures occurred before the baby died or caused the baby's death. I don't think anybody can say with certainty at this point how the baby died, so there still could have been a head injury during or shortly after birth (even possibly without a skull fracture), and there also could NOT have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong