GUILTY NM - Renezmae Calzada, 5, found deceased, Rio Arriba County, 8 Sept 2019 *Arrest*

I’d like to sincerely thank everyone for your kind words about my loss. They mean a lot to me. My son in law is a Lt. Firefighter & Paramedic with our local station. He responded to Mama’s 911 call night before last and found Daddy dead. Cardiac arrest. He cried with Mama holding her up the entire time until the Coroner came. I have the utmost respect for our Firefighters.

I'm so sorry. *Hugs* You and your Mom & family will be in my prayers

Perhaps there are people involved who are very afraid of a particular person of interest and who are therefore changing up the story a bit. Just MOO

Possibly.

I just want all the truth to come forth, and I'm sure LE will be able to cut through any falsehoods, and will find the truth backed up with facts in evidence.

Little RC deserves no less than the truth, and nothing but the truth to be known.

Jmho

I’d like to sincerely thank everyone for your kind words about my loss. They mean a lot to me. My son in law is a Lt. Firefighter & Paramedic with our local station. He responded to Mama’s 911 call night before last and found Daddy dead. Cardiac arrest. He cried with Mama holding her up the entire time until the Coroner came. I have the utmost respect for our Firefighters.

You are quite welcome, and all of you will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Firefighters have my utmost respect as well.

On Aug. 7, Maestas filed a petition against Torres over custody, online court records indicate.

A child support hearing had been scheduled for Nov. 7. Also, records show that a Family Court Services “consultation continuation appointment” was scheduled for Wednesday – the day Renezmae’s body was found.

Sheriff: Body of missing Española girl, 5, is found
I am behind, but someone may have noted that this is a bit misleading. The FCS consultation was scheduled for 9/3/2019. The notice to Mom and to him were both returned. Neither showed up on 9/3/2019. Then the consultation was then continued to 9/11/2019 because of that.

hmmmmm.....

"Online blogs and postings about the girl’s disappearance, including Facebook updates, say Maestas was at work all day Sunday and left her daughter in the care of her mother, who did not tell her daughter about the girl’s disappearance until Maestas returned from work."

Española girl’s body found in Rio Grande

After further reading, and newer articles, I am not believing this^^^ recent version of events.

I do not believe that she left her child with her Mother, who failed to report the child missing.

In earlier reports, they gave the source for their belief she was with the 'stepfather':

"Calzada was reported missing in a 911 call placed by her mother Victoria Maestas at 7:39 p.m. Sunday, the local paper reports.

“The father called her (and) said she has been missing since 9:30 a.m. this morning,” the dispatchers wrote in the call records. “Father hasn’t reported the child missing and thought the (mother’s) family picked her up.” "

Missing New Mexico 5-Year-Old’s Body Is Discovered In The Rio Grande

So the 911 caller, who was reportedly Rene's mother, said that the father was the one that called her to say she was missing, but he never reported it . And he apparently said he thought her family picked the child up.

So I am not sure how it got changed to this new version, that the maternal grandmother was babysitting and neglected to report her missing....?

Why would bf call mom and tell her RC was missing in the first place? He thought a family member had picked her up, so why would he think she was missing at all?

Good question. I could see her calling him to say what time she was picking up her daughter or her 2 kids----but why would he call and say she was missing if he didn't think she was missing?

Speculating=maybe she called him when she was leaving work, to say she was coming to pick up her daughter and he called her back to say 'what?'

Good question. I could see her calling him to say what time she was picking up her daughter or her 2 kids----but why would he call and say she was missing if he didn't think she was missing?

Speculating=maybe she called him when she was leaving work, to say she was coming to pick up her daughter and he called her back to say 'what?'
Probably something like that. We are going to need to see the actual affidavits to untangle the timeline and who the players are. LE has not released any kind of coherent statement and I suspect they are not going to. That leaves MSM having to request affidavits and such.

We have a right to know how an innocent 5 y/o child ended up dead in the river and who is responsible.

Does anyone know the distance between the house she was last seen in and the location in the Rio Grande that she was found floating? :(

• Which brings up further questions. Wouldnt she only be found floating if she had very recently gone into the water OR it had been quite awhile? That part doesn't make sense either. JMO

Does anyone know the distance between the house she was last seen in and the location in the Rio Grande that she was found floating? :(

• Which brings up further questions. Wouldnt she only be found floating if she had very recently gone into the water OR it had been quite awhile? That part doesn't make sense either. JMO
As the body slowly begins to swell and rot, that newly formed gas develops the same penchant for buoyancy as oxygen, which eventually raises the corpse back to the surface of your favorite swimming hole. The volume of the body will notably increase, but the person’s weight will not, thus making it easier for the body to float. After initially sinking, the body will return to the surface within a few hours, or it could take days – even weeks!

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-do-corpses-float.html

Well, even if the body sinks the current will move it. To be floating again would require decomposition to have enough time to produce enough gases. There is no way, short of the autopsy results to know just how long she was in the water.

The shortest distance to the Rio Grande from where she was allegedly last seen is about 1.7 miles. But given that she was floating and the Rio Grande flows south there isn't a reasonable way to know where she entered the river but it would have to be north of where she was found - wherever that was.

I kind of read the "changing of focus" to possibly mean from a search for a missing little girl to a murder investigation. ????

Hmmm, you could be right, LaborDayRN! I think I need to listen to the PC again. That might be why I didn’t pick it up the first time! Thank you!

PC:

Original full quote from article without snip:

Investigators from both the FBI and the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office gave few details about her death during a news conference Wednesday afternoon, other than to say she was found in the river in Española. They also declined to take questions about her disappearance and cause of death, saying they wanted to give her family time to grieve.

But FBI Special Agent James Langenberg indicated a suspect might be at large, telling the assembly: “The investigation has not stopped. We will continue to work until we can identify the responsible party.”

Maj. Randy Sanches, spokesman for the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office, echoed that thought. In an email after the news conference, he said, “It is fair to say we are now changing the focus of our ongoing investigation to find the person or persons responsible in this tragedy.”

Rio Arriba County Sheriff James Lujan previously had said investigators do not believe the girl’s disappearance involved her parents. A man who has a relationship with Renezmae’s mother, Victoria Maestas, has been identified as a person of interest in the case.

Española girl’s body found in Rio Grande

BBM:

“Maj. Randy Sanches, spokesman for the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office, echoed that thought. In an email after the news conference, he said, “It is fair to say we are now changing the focus of our ongoing investigation to find the person or persons responsible in this tragedy.”

Well no wonder I missed it. It was a private email. I was like huh, “changed the focus?”...my ears must be clogged...””.

I think you may be right, Labor Day. Thank you! :) My bad on that also for speed reading and being too quick to snip, very poor oversight on my part, embarrassed...I even snipped the first clause of the sentence. :facepalm:

Noting use of the word “find” (again, but last time it was “identify”).

Last edited:
Well, even if the body sinks the current will move it. To be floating again would require decomposition to have enough time to produce enough gases. There is no way, short of the autopsy results to know just how long she was in the water.

The shortest distance to the Rio Grande from where she was allegedly last seen is about 1.7 miles. But given that she was floating and the Rio Grande flows south there isn't a reasonable way to know where she entered the river but it would have to be north of where she was found - wherever that was.

As the body slowly begins to swell and rot, that newly formed gas develops the same penchant for buoyancy as oxygen, which eventually raises the corpse back to the surface of your favorite swimming hole. The volume of the body will notably increase, but the person’s weight will not, thus making it easier for the body to float. After initially sinking, the body will return to the surface within a few hours, or it could take days – even weeks!

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-do-corpses-float.html

Ugh, thank you both. sad.

So she would have had to walk for about 2 miles to get to the River bank. Would she know how to do that?

Is that someplace she had walked or been driven previously?

Ugh, thank you both. sad.

So she would have had to walk for about 2 miles to get to the River bank. Would she know how to do that?

Is that someplace she had walked or been driven previously?
Don't know how she would make it across two busy roads (especially Riverside Dr (NM-68)) without someone noticing her alone but that could be possible.

Don't know how she would make it across two busy roads (especially Riverside Dr (NM-68)) without someone noticing her alone but that could be possible.

Right, sounds unlikely. She would have to be pretty determined to get there, in such a busy urban setting.

I'm feeling more like she was dumped there, and possibly she was gone before she even hit the water?

That seemed to be what local @AbbeyBabbey said, iirc, that anyone that would’ve seen her would’ve helped immediately...
(Your community sounds amazing, btw AbbeyBabbey.)

Last edited:
Right, sounds unlikely. She would have to be pretty determined to get there, in such a busy urban setting.

I'm feeling more like she was dumped there, and possibly she was gone before she even hit the water?
I think even if she started out trying to get to the river, she would have become lost and very distressed in short order. It was broad daylight; surely someone would have noticed a child in distress.

I think her body was placed in the river with the hope that the current would carry her far, far away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back