GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

Proposed Change of Plea Hearing is set for 11/21/2019 at 1:00 PM
CM/ECF District of Alaska Version 6.1 LIVE DB
U.S. District Court
District of Alaska (Juneau)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:17-cr-00010-TMB All Defendants

Case title: USA v. Manzanares
Magistrate judge case number: 1:17-mj-00023-LCL

Date Filed: 08/17/2017
Defendant (1)
Kenneth Manzanares

Date Filed # Docket Text
08/27/2019 108 TMB TEXT ORDER SETTING HEARING as to Kenneth Manzanares. In light of 107 Notice of Intent to Change Plea, the Proposed Change of Plea Hearing is set for 11/21/2019 at 1:00 PM in Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. The Final Pretrial Conference and Trial by Jury set for 9/9/2019 at 8:30/9:00 AM in Juneau are VACATED. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 08/27/2019)
09/03/2019 109 MOTION for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Schmidt, Jack) (Entered: 09/03/2019)

U.S. District Court

09/03/2019

MOTION for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Schmidt, Jack) (Entered: 09/03/2019)

09/16/2019
# 110
TMB TEXT ORDER GRANTING 109 Motion for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares (1). The victim's parents are directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time of 1:00 PM AKT on November 21, 2019. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 09/16/2019)

ETA:
I'm wondering why it would be necessary for KM's parents to appear (telephonic or otherwise) for his change of plea hearing on 11/21/19? (Motion was granted).

U.S. District Court

09/03/2019

MOTION for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Schmidt, Jack) (Entered: 09/03/2019)

09/16/2019
# 110
TMB TEXT ORDER GRANTING 109 Motion for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares (1). The victim's parents are directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time of 1:00 PM AKT on November 21, 2019. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 09/16/2019)

ETA:
I'm wondering why it would be necessary for KM's parents to appear (telephonic or otherwise) for his change of plea hearing on 11/21/19? (Motion was granted).

As to why the parents want to do it by telephone versus traveling, Would Victim Impact statements be presented for sentencing consideration when the Plea is given, and they don't want to travel to Alaska to do it orally?

If somebody could actually get in to see the order, it may explain and give justification why the request that was made for the motion?

(Can anyone sign up to view Pacer, or is that only for legal folks. When I click on the links it says I have to sign in to view but it appears it's just for legal folks)

U.S. District Court

09/03/2019

09/16/2019
# 110

ETA:
Thank you SEATTLE1 for keeping up on the latest! The level of violence & rage is haunting.
Hopefully Kristy's parents will be able to tell the judge how much they miss their beautiful daughter? Maybe just to tell the judge their heart breaks when their granddaughters cry at the thought of ever having to face the monster who killed their Mother? At the very least, ask he be kept in a Federal prison, thousands of miles away! Of course these are just my thoughts as I think he will always be a dangerous man. No matter who the female is in his life, I think /feel he is an abuser with escalating violent tendencies. Hmmm, maybe they know more about his history than has been made public?? I don't know....just speculating out loud.

As to why the parents want to do it by telephone versus traveling, Would Victim Impact statements be presented for sentencing consideration when the Plea is given, and they don't want to travel to Alaska to do it orally?

If somebody could actually get in to see the order, it may explain and give justification why the request that was made for the motion?

(Can anyone sign up to view Pacer, or is that only for legal folks. When I click on the links it says I have to sign in to view but it appears it's just for legal folks)

I have access to Pacer, and where the post information you responded to comes from. Also read the motion, and it doesn't provide much more than I posted-- other than to identify KM's parents by their initials.

The motion to grant telephone appearance is for November change of plea hearing. Typically, victim impact statements are heard at sentencing hearing.
I believe sentencing will likely be 30 +- days later. I'm also told this can be a lengthy hearing.

AS KM is changing his plea from not guilty to guilty, this plea agreement has to be put into writing, and the Court has to enter the plea agreement on the record.

The Court has to go through the plea agreement with KM to make sure he understands it. Judge has to affirm 3 things:

• The defendant who is entering the plea agreement knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily. The Court will go over the plea agreement with the defendant and will ask them a series of questions. The court will tell a defendant what they're agreeing to plead guilty to, what the normal range of sentence is and what charges, if any, the US District Court is dropping or dismissing and what sentence they'll be facing if they enter the plea agreement.
  • The Court will also make sure the defendant is intelligently entering the plea agreement; advise a defendant of what rights they are giving up by entering the plea agreement; explain the defendant is giving up the right to remain silent; giving up the right to be represented by an attorney at trial; defendant gives up the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, or gives up their right to a jury trial in a felony case. The Judge wants to make sure that the defendant understands that they're giving up those rights.
  • The Judge will also ask the defendant if anybody has made any threats or promises to them that are not in the plea agreement. So, the Judge needs to determine if the plea agreement is voluntarily made.
Since there were some question about KM's mental state, maybe his parents are witnesses to KM understanding what he's giving up, and his plea is voluntary. Or maybe they simply want to hear the proceeding, and this is the only option for them. (Maybe they can't afford 2 trips to Alaska and instead want to be there for sentencing).

I have to keep reminding myself this is US District Court and not State Court.

Felony Change of Plea | The Law Offices of Shawn B. Hamp

Anyone can sign up for a PACER account. They require a credit card. Charges are minimal, per page viewed. Invoice is generated quarterly, and total charges per quarter under $15 are waived. This is a recent email invoice that I received:
Balance Due: $0.00
Usage for this account was less than $15 for this quarterly billing cycle. In accordance with the Electronic Public Access fee schedule, the fees for this quarter have been waived.

Viewing the Manzanares docket report today generated a charge of $.80:

PACER Service Center
Transaction Receipt
09/25/2019 06:03:32
PACER Login: *advertiser censored* Client Code:
Description: Docket Report Search Criteria: 1:17-cr-00010-TMB
Billable Pages: 8 Cost: 0.80

Since there were some question about KM's mental state, maybe his parents are witnesses to KM understanding what he's giving up, and his plea is voluntary. Or maybe they simply want to hear the proceeding, and this is the only option for them. (Maybe they can't afford 2 trips to Alaska and instead want to be there for sentencing).
Motion and order are regarding victim's parents (not defendant's parents):
Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares
My guess is that they have the right to be 'present' at all hearings.

CM/ECF District of Alaska Version 6.1 LIVE DB
09/03/2019 109 MOTION for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Schmidt, Jack) (Entered: 09/03/2019)
09/16/2019 110 TMB TEXT ORDER GRANTING 109 Motion for Leave to Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares (1). The victim's parents are directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time of 1:00 PM AKT on November 21, 2019. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 09/16/2019)

upload_2019-9-25_10-20-8.png
upload_2019-9-25_10-21-13.png

Motion and order are regarding victim's parents (not defendant's parents):
Appear Telephonic for Victim's Parents by USA as to Kenneth Manzanares
My guess is that they have the right to be 'present' at all hearings.
^^SBM

@SeesSeas - thanks for correction that telephonic appearance is for Kristy's parents. And both KM and Kristy's parents are victims.

Yes - nobody is barred from attending US District Court hearings. I also believe KM's parents will be present as they are said to visit him often. I'm usually in AK last weeks of Nov for Thanksgiving-- but headed to sunshine this year.

Last edited:
BOP: Federal Inmate

Name: KENNETH RAY MANZANARES
Register Number: 20022-006
Race: White
Sex: Male
Released On: 11/28/2018

Inmate Manzanares was returned to ADOC

KENNETH MANZANARES

Custody Record
Age41
GenderMale

Ethnicity Hispanic
ID Number739811
Custody Status Date Nov 28, 2018 03:57 PM AKST
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail Alaska Department of Corrections

VINELink

No change in custody -- Defendant is a year older and still in ADOC - Juneau.

KENNETH MANZANARES

Custody Record
Age42
GenderMale
RaceUnknown

Ethnicity Hispanic
ID Number739811
Custody Status Date Nov 28, 2018 03:57 PM AKST
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail Lemon Creek Correctional Center

LOCATION**
Lemon Creek Correctional Center
2000 Lemon Creek Rd
Juneau, AK 99801

VINELink

** There are no federal prisons located in the state of Alaska. Federal prisoners awaiting trial or sentencing are typically held in state facilities. Prisoners who have been sentenced are usually sent to FCI Sheridan, located in Sheridan, Oregon, to serve their sentences.

At the very least, ask he be kept in a Federal prison, thousands of miles away! Of course these are just my thoughts as I think he will always be a dangerous man. No matter who the female is in his life, I think /feel he is an abuser with escalating violent tendencies.
^^SBM

I agree that his daughters probably lived in fear that their dad would fatally injure their mom. Reportedly, the couple had known each other most of their lives, and I'm believe Kristy must have accepted the devil she knew, than break away. :(

If KM is approved for medium security, he will likely be sent to federal prison located in northwestern Oregon in Sheridan -- about 1,000 miles from his daughters. It's a relatively new for a FCI - and probably better than KM deserves.

MOO

^^SBM

I agree that his daughters probably lived in fear that their dad would fatally injure their mom. Reportedly, the couple had known each other most of their lives, and I'm believe Kristy must have accepted the devil she knew, than break away. :(

If KM is approved for medium security, he will likely be sent to federal prison located in northwestern Oregon in Sheridan -- about 1,000 miles from his daughters. It's a relatively new for a FCI - and probably better than KM deserves.

ddb

Last edited:
^^SBM

MOO
SEATTLE1 I think you are spot on. Your post answered a lot of questions (although not the outcome I had hoped.) I wasn't aware there was no Federal facility in Alaska. Plea change gets him 2000 miles closer to home in beautiful state of Oregon? (Juxtaposed to being convicted of a crime in tropical Hawaii and having to serve your time at Saguaro Prison in Eloy, Arizona. A desert 3000 miles away!) Go figure.
I realize close family members are extremely sympathetic to the plight of their convicted family member.....but how do they justify the act of a vicious, heinous, agonizing murder of a beautiful young Mother, screaming for her life, while her young child was in the adjoining room? That poor child....the last memory of her Mother will always be the screams she heard that night. Kristy's Father and Brother will never be able to erase the images of what they saw.....
Hmmm...minimum security? shaking my head.........

Hmmm...minimum security? shaking my head.........

^^SBM

Medium security -- just as bad.

The only murderer that comes to mind that I know was sent to Sheridan was one of the Highway of Tears murderer (Hwy 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert), British Columbia Hwy. There was a documentary out not too long ago.

Why there are no federal prisons in Alaska? I didn't know that and that's very surprising to me.
I mean, there's a federal prison in Puerto Rico (and Puerto Rico is not even a state, we can say it's a colony or something like that...) but not a single one in Alaska that became a state in 1959??? o_O

Why there are no federal prisons in Alaska? I didn't know that and that's very surprising to me.
I mean, there's a federal prison in Puerto Rico (and Puerto Rico is not even a state, we can say it's a colony or something like that...) but not a single one in Alaska that became a state in 1959??? o_O

The statistics always surprise me.

There are more than 1700 state prisons, and only 102 federal prisons, and about 47 are medium security.

There's a good map at the link below that clearly depicts the states that don't want a federal corrections institute in their backyard!

BOP: Map of our Locations

The statistics always surprise me.

There are more than 1700 state prisons, and only 102 federal prisons, and about 47 are medium security.

There's a good map at the link below that clearly depicts the states that don't want a federal corrections institute in their backyard!

BOP: Map of our Locations
So...no federal prisons in Montana, Alaska, North Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska and Utah. :confused:
What the hell...one of the most ridiculous map I've ever seen... o_O

^^SBM

MOO
I was reading old articles, came across this one. Interesting or irritatingly (?) KenMan "sobbed" through out the hearing....but I don't think he was crying for murdered wife. I think he was crying because he has to face the consequences of his actions and embrace the fact everyone knows what he did. Your family, your community and everyone sitting in that courtroom...
humiliation is a bear.
"When he appeared in court for arraignment, Kenneth Manzanares sobbed throughout the hearing.
At the time of the woman's death, one of her daughters was reportedly heard saying: "I knew my dad would do this. I knew he would do this."
Wow, I got the chills reading that. Poor daughters probably saw violence in the past, too.
Husband of Woman Murdered on Cruise Ship Weeps in Court as He's Charged With Murder

I was reading old articles, came across this one. Interesting or irritatingly (?) KenMan "sobbed" through out the hearing....but I don't think he was crying for murdered wife. I think he was crying because he has to face the consequences of his actions and embrace the fact everyone knows what he did. Your family, your community and everyone sitting in that courtroom...
humiliation is a bear.
"When he appeared in court for arraignment, Kenneth Manzanares sobbed throughout the hearing.
At the time of the woman's death, one of her daughters was reportedly heard saying: "I knew my dad would do this. I knew he would do this."
Wow, I got the chills reading that. Poor daughters probably saw violence in the past, too.
Husband of Woman Murdered on Cruise Ship Weeps in Court as He's Charged With Murder
I haven't been following this much (just starting to read) but the thought that the daughter said she knew he would do it is quite chilling IMO. To think that, there must have been prior threats or violence or something? Why would one think their dad could kill their mother one day otherwise? very troubling and so glad to read that the other relative stopped him from throwing her overboard. JMO
and thank you @Seattle1 for the court updates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back