Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The digital age with cell phones and personal computers, etc., was barely in its infancy. It was still a year or two before I got my first desktop computer at the office or home (386SX, 2 Meg memory, 20 Meg HD, $3,000) and I was all in with IT then. Would be extremely surprised if anything is uncovered that has been repeatedly carried forward all these years. Journals, diaries, etc. more likely but judging by his demeanor it is doubtful. DNA IMO is the key. Fingers crossed.

Maybe not carried forward but years later, he could have started searching for information on certain old cases he was involved/interested in that could give LE a jumping off point for more victims. Google maps could be of interest. Cell phones could provide info on where he was at certain times.
Sure glad they have him behind locked doors.

Maybe not carried forward but years later, he could have started searching for information on certain old cases he was involved/interested in that could give LE a jumping off point for more victims. Google maps could be of interest. Cell phones could provide info on where he was at certain times.
Sure glad they have him behind locked doors.
BBM
Is he arrested? I've been searching and haven't come across this - but interesting info here IMO
Update: Greeley police: A lot of inconsistencies to Pankey's statement to Idaho media about Jonelle Matthews case | Greeley Tribune
snipped
“There’s a lot of inconsistencies in his statement to the Idaho media,” Smith said. “If we had probable cause (he killed Jonelle Matthews) we’d be arresting him. He’s just a person of interest.”

BBM
Is he arrested? I've been searching and haven't come across this - but interesting info here IMO
Update: Greeley police: A lot of inconsistencies to Pankey's statement to Idaho media about Jonelle Matthews case | Greeley Tribune
snipped
“There’s a lot of inconsistencies in his statement to the Idaho media,” Smith said. “If we had probable cause (he killed Jonelle Matthews) we’d be arresting him. He’s just a person of interest.”

Yes, that is interesting!

Thanks for sharing that.

In post #6 there is mention of DNA. The link provided at the time (many years ago) from The Denver Channel no longer works. However, I snipped a paragraph from that post. No DNA at the scene but I am also very curious to know if any was preserved on her clothing.

Goldschmidt said Jonelle's DNA is on the national database now, in case something turns up, but they had no DNA from a suspect at the scene of her abduction. Her photo -- and an "age progressed" photo of what she would look like at 37 years old can be found on the Web site for The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

@PayrollNerd
Here's a link to an archived copy of The Denver Channel article:
25 Years After Greeley Girl Vanished, No Clues - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Just watched this interview. I don’t like this guys demeanor, I don’t like his facial expression, and how he tries to make light of Jonelle’s murder by basically saying she’s just one victim out of many and then comparing it to the loss of his son. Ugh

One other thing, the first 20 seconds or so he blinks only once during when he’s talking about losing is son. When he starts claiming he didn’t know she existed or that she was missing he blinks more frequently, then not so much after he gets through that part.

Of course I’m not by no means an expert on detecting deception, not even close. But he sure makes my hinky meter go up! JMO.

I see now why he’s on LEs radar.

The Greeley address for SP on True people search says he resided there from Feb 1985 to 1995. So is there a different residence for 1984? Interesting that he moved in Feb not long after the abduction/murder.

Greeley police chief speaks out about Jonelle Matthews homicide investigation (with clip)

SEPTEMBER 16, 2019

"GREELEY, Colo. -- The chief of the Greeley Police Department said the decades-old homicide investigation into the death of Jonelle Matthews is personal for him. He had been an officer for about nine months when the girl went missing.

“It’s my town. It’s my community, and it’s personal from the standpoint of obviously law enforcement wants to do everything they can to solve every case of this nature,” said Chief Mark Jones. “This one rises obviously to the top just because it has been so long, and we’ve been working on it off and on for so long.”..."

Greeley police chief speaks out about Jonelle Matthews homicide investigation

According to a video upstream, they may have attended the same church. If this is true, then how would he have not heard of her gone missing? In the video above he claims to not have known or heard of the family. I would imagine everyone in the church and community would’ve known.

Keeping a close eye here.

Last edited:
Thinking more about this POI, I highly doubt he would be publicly named unless they had serious reason to suspect him.

With him being 68 now (iirc), this would indicate to me IMO that very likely this wouldn’t have been his only crime IF he is Jonelle’s killer.

I wonder if there are any similar cases in other areas where he has lived. I’ve posted upstream other potentially similar cases in Northern Colorado during that time.

Last edited:
The Greeley address for SP on True people search says he resided there from Feb 1985 to 1995. So is there a different residence for 1984? Interesting that he moved in Feb not long after the abduction/murder.
I have found the address dates to be slightly inaccurate on that site. I looked myself up and it’s kinda close, but not perfect by any means.

According to a video upstream, they may have attended the same church. If this is true, then how would he have not heard of her gone missing? I would imagine everyone in the church and community would’ve known.

Keeping a close eye here.

BBM. Not only that-- he claims he didn't know her at all. He claims his family went out of town to visit his parents the day after Jonelle disappeared and that he only heard about Jonelle's existence, and that she had gone missing on Dec 26th, the day they returned to Greeley. Dec 26, 1984 was a Wednesday. I find it oddly specific that he says he remembers the exact day he first heard about Jonelle and her being missing. If he had nothing to do with it and didn't know her family why would he recall the date when he first heard the news? IMHO most people who are unconnected to a missing child cold case would not recall the specific day they heard on the news that the child was missing (when asked about it decades later). I could have more easily bought it if he had been vague about the date and said he didn't hear until sometime after he came back from a Christmas vacation-- but why would he recall the exact day he returned from that trip in 1984? I also wonder how large their church was in 1984 that he wouldn't have any connection to Jonelle or Jonelle's family. It's possible in a really large church but seems unlikely that he never saw her before. Church or his son's school is probably the connection. Her father was principle of an Elementary School. I wonder if SP's 5-year old son went to the same school where Jonelle's father worked?

MOO.

Last edited:
BBM. Not only that-- he claims he didn't know her at all. He claims his family went out of town to visit his parents the day after Jonelle disappeared and that he only heard about Jonelle's existence, and that she had gone missing on Dec 26th, the day they returned to Greeley. Dec 26, 1984 was a Wednesday. I find it oddly specific that he says he remembers the exact day he first heard about Jonelle and her being missing. If he had nothing to do with it and didn't know her family why would he recall the date when he first heard the news? IMHO most people who are unconnected to a missing child cold case would not recall the specific day they heard on the news that the child was missing when asked about it decades later. I could have more easily bought it if he had been vague about the date and said he didn't hear until sometime after he came back from a Christmas vacation-- but why would he recall the exact day he returned from that trip in 1984? I also wonder how large their church was in 1984 that he wouldn't have any connection to Jonelle or Jonelle's family. It's possible in a really large church but seems unlikely that he never saw her before. Church or his son's school is probably the connection. Her father was principle of an Elementary School. I wonder if SP's 5-year old son went to the same school where Jonelle's father worked?

MOO.

Indeed, G. See my eta above, I actually added a few minutes ago that in the video above he claims to not have known or heard of the family.

Great thoughts btw.

I wonder if they were able to determine shoe size from the foot prints.
And re: the property where her remains were found, is there any way to find out who owned it back in 1984?

I took a closer look at that intersection. From one of the articles linked above, there are several farm houses close to that intersection, and LE are looking at occupants in 1984.

I'll see if I can find the upstream article where it states the above. However, I've exhausted my free-article limit to the Greeley Tribune, so I may not be able to link it.

ETA: Bringing forward this post by @FragileSugar : Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

Police are scanning historical records to try to determine who might have owned the land where Matthews’ remains were found since she went missing more than three decades ago. Police also are trying to determine if anyone had farming or ranching leases there over the years, as well as who has resided in a bank of farm houses on Weld 34 1/2.

Was it ever known exactly which coworker called the house and left a message for her dad? Was that person ever verified? Could it have been this new poi using a fake name or even someone’s name he knew of to find out if she was alone? MOO

Was it ever known exactly which coworker called the house and left a message for her dad? Was that person ever verified? Could it have been this new poi using a fake name or even someone’s name he knew of to find out if she was alone? MOO

Apparently, the caller was a woman, and Jonelle took the message when she was home.

Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert

A teacher from Jim Matthews’ school called. The woman asked Jonelle to tell her father that she couldn’t make it to school the next day and needed her father to get a substitute teacher.

Has anyone found any photos of SP from 1984? I wonder if he volunteered to assist with the search for Jonelle? In the video below they show historic footage of volunteers traipsing across a snow covered field (about 1:05). Although the video is blurry, there's a man that seems to smile when he sees the cameras filming him. Could that be SP? I wonder if he had to admit to finding out about Jonelle on Dec 26th because he signed in at a search and police kept tabs on those names? There is also historic video of the Matthews family in church and a wide view of the congregation is shown. Could SP be among those shown in the church?

MOO

Has anyone found any photos of SP from 1984? I wonder if he volunteered to assist with the search for Jonelle? In the video below they show historic footage of volunteers traipsing across a snow covered field (about 1:05). Although the video is blurry, there's a man that seems to smile when he sees the cameras filming him. Could that be SP? I wonder if he had to admit to finding out about Jonelle on Dec 26th because he signed in at a search and police kept tabs on those names? There is also historic video of the Matthews family in church and a wide view of the congregation is shown. Could SP be among those shown in the church?

MOO

The guy with a blue pullover that has beige stripes across it? He does wear glasses, like SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow