TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
“There are a couple of reasons why this case has captured the public’s attention. The first one is obvious. An unarmed black man was killed by a white police officer. It’s a story that is familiar.

“And I think there is a second reason. An innocent man was shot and killed in his own home. I think that taps into a fear that all of us have. Home is supposed to be where we are safe, where we are content, where we can let our guard down.”
Amber Guyger Murder Trial May Not Fit Convenient Journalistic Categories

I think her rendition is questionable. I am attempting to keep an open mind until facts come out at trial, but it isn’t easy.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Yeah I remember the discussion about the marijuana smell last year. IIRC There were some complaints to management office about possible smells on level 4. Then posters wondered if AG was acting as security officer at the block. She might go up there on purpose to check it out.

I guess it was easy enough to check with witnesses, if that was the case. And then it may be disclosed at the trial. Or not, if it was found to be irrevelant.

As for AG's declarations to 911 that she thought it was her apartment.... I don't know. I do know a handful of people in my life, who can change what they are saying in a split second, to deny all responsibility when they get into trouble. What kind of character is she? Let's hope next week is when we'll find out.

Yeah I remember the discussion about the marijuana smell last year. IIRC There were some complaints to management office about possible smells on level 4. Then posters wondered if AG was acting as security officer at the block. She might go up there on purpose to check it out.

I guess it was easy enough to check with witnesses, if that was the case. And then it may be disclosed at the trial. Or not, if it was found to be irrevelant.

As for AG's declarations to 911 that she thought it was her apartment.... I don't know. I do know a handful of people in my life, who can change what they are saying in a split second, to deny all responsibility when they get into trouble. What kind of character is she? Let's hope next week is when we'll find out.
Even if she was investigating complaints about the smell of an illegal substance on that floor, I would think she would start by knocking on doors to question tenants informally; then, if there was probable cause, would she not need a search warrant to actually enter and search an individual apartment? There is just no excuse for use of force in this situation, and extreme force at that.

Even if she was investigating complaints about the smell of an illegal substance on that floor, I would think she would start by knocking on doors to question tenants informally; then, if there was probable cause, would she not need a search warrant to actually enter and search an individual apartment? There is just no excuse for use of force in this situation, and extreme force at that.
Exactly. Not to mention, she was . off . duty.

Seriously guys. She had her backpack with work files, her lunch box, and was carrying (not wearing) her ballistics vest. I will bet they have ccv of her going from her car directly to his apartment. We don't know yet if her judgment was clouded from stress and fatigue or from something else in her system but it seems pretty clear to me she was not at his door on purpose.
I'd really like to hear more discussion on her actions once the door opened from a legal standpoint. From the article linked at the bottom of this post:
"State law allows Texans to use deadly force to defend themselves. And at nighttime, they can use deadly force to defend their property. There is no duty to retreat, said Wilson, who once headed the conviction integrity unit at the Dallas County district attorney’s office."
Does this mean that the judge will have to instruct the jury that if the defense has successfully shown she went to his apartment in error and had no drugs or alcohol in her system, that they can not technically find her guilty of a lesser charge like criminally negligent homicide? (Provided the DA offers that option) Or is there room for the jury to decide her actions were still reckless?
How will Amber Guyger's attorneys defend her in murder trial for killing Botham Jean?

The jury foreman will be interesting. I believe that the foreman in CA case is primarily the reason why she is free.

If I was on this jury, I would be able to listen to the evidence with an open mind, and apply the facts to the law. While the "law" may state AG could stand her ground, I still believe that a reasonable and prudent person would have called for backup. She didn't seem to be in any risk of imminent danger.

Darn! We don't get CourtTv here! I watched every minute of the OJ trial, and Casey Anthony. I will never forget Nancy Grace, when "TotMom" was found "Not Guilty". That was a moment. Nancy Grace was speechless!

I guess I can follow Vinnie on Twitter. Is he on CourtTv?

You can watch the trial coverage on CourtTV.com. Law and Crime also streams live trials but I’m not positive they will steam this one. I do prefer Law and Crime as there are no commercial interruptions.

Darn! We don't get CourtTv here! I watched every minute of the OJ trial, and Casey Anthony. I will never forget Nancy Grace, when "TotMom" was found "Not Guilty". That was a moment. Nancy Grace was speechless!

I guess I can follow Vinnie on Twitter. Is he on CourtTv?

I think we can watch it via their website. Maybe in the livestream page https://www.courttv.com/title/court-tv-live-stream-web/

Or just go to CourtRV.com:
https://www.courttv.com/where-to-watch/
The Court TV team is working to make Court TV available everywhere. You’ll find Court TV on cable, over-the-air, and streaming LIVE right here on CourtTV.com and the Court TV app on iOS and Android. Court TV is also streaming live on Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, and will be available soon on select smart TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong