Volusia County - Daytona Beach (Ridgwood Ave corridor)

From your link *thank you*:

“Absolutely,” said Sheriff Mike Chitwood, when asked Wednesday if the DNA result and Hayes being the suspect surprised him.

“When they got the profile back months before, I got a heads up from the detective who told me ‘there is where we are going and by the way the guy is a black guy I am like they told us it was a white guy!’ ” Chitwood said.

“I think it’s a shame because that blinded a lot of people, including the police, to be looking at a certain person that was not there,” said Aneesah Farris, the niece of Iwana Patton. “That detail (the profiled suspect’s race) put people off the track.”

“It was more bothersome and shocking to me to find out that he was a young college student than him being black or white and that he was from my alma mater,” Farris said.

“At the end of the day for me, a killer is a killer,” Farris said. “They found the killer regardless of his race.”

“My aunt would never date a kid,” Farris said. “He must have done something, maybe like dress in a way, to get my aunt’s attention.”

“My aunt was not a prostitute. She was a caregiver — a nurse assistant and medical technician,” Farris said of Patton. “She devoted her life to care giving and her family. Our family has been through so much and we’d like her to be remembered for who she truly was and it was not a prostitute.”

“They had him in hand at one time and I can’t tell you anything about what interviews transpired,” Chitwood said. “I can tell you it’s an absolute legitimate question that that profile factored into the questioning of somebody and he was automatically written off because he was a black male.”

“When he goes down to South Florida, it is interesting to note that there is no DNA from having sex,” Chitwood said. “He changed his modus operandi. He got rid of the firearm, he went to strangling victims.”

“To really get down and dirty to strangle somebody there it takes 12-20 minutes to start to strangle somebody completely to death,” Chitwood said. “So imagine, the force, the rage, the anger that’s in there, the closeness with that when you are strangling somebody as opposed to just pulling gun and shooting them.”

“Oh yeah, even I believed (it was white killer),” Chitwood said.

“I don’t think profiles normally are on target,” Chitwood said, saying profiles are an investigative tool. “I think when you go back and when you look at the BTK killer, and you look at the other killers where they used profiles, they were an assist but I think when you went down and checked out the boxes I don’t think they were right 50% of the time.”

“It’s not uncommon to not get everything right,” she said. “It’s more of a tool to help with suspect prioritization.”

Hoffacker stressed: “You should never discount a suspect because he doesn’t fit into one of the demographics.”
Error in Daytona serial killer profiling? Arrest of black man surprises

Thank you because I could not read it myself and it sounded interesting.

THE DAYTONA BEACH SERIAL KILLER

SEPTEMBER 23, 2019

"...Following the recent trend of newly-solved cold cases, genetic genealogy allowed for Hayes to be labeled as Bey’s killer. Via the technique of linking suspects through voluntarily submitted DNA samples to commercial genealogy sites by their relatives, many cases have been solved, including the case of Robert Hayes, who is believed to be the Daytona Beach Serial Killer.
Upon identifying Hayes as a potential suspect through genetic genealogy, police collected a sample of his DNA from a discarded cigarette butt. The DNA they found matched not only the DNA found in Bey’s case but three other Daytona Beach murders: Laquetta Gunther’s 2005 murder Julie Green and Iwana Patton’s killings in 2006.

“Killers like Robert Tyrone Hayes are the reason genetic genealogy is so important to public safety,” Troy Walker, Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman, said. “Without genetic genealogy, predators like Mr. Hayes will continue to live in our neighborhoods, visit our parks, our libraries, restaurants, and go to our nightlife and entertainment districts to continue to hunt for victims.” Authorities discovered that while the victims were randomly chosen, all four murders were similar. Each victim held a history of prostitution and was found naked with their clothing nearby. The prime difference discovered has been that while Bey was found deceased as a result of strangulation, Gunther, Green, and Patton were found shot in the head by a .40-caliber gun.

Hayes is also a suspect for the 2008 murder of Stacey Gage; however, there is currently no physical evidence which links him to the crime.

As of writing this, Hayes has yet to be charged for the Daytona Beach murders..."

http://theavion.com/the-daytona-beach-serial-killer/

Here is a report about Serial Killers who have operated in Daytona Beach. Not a great tourism advert:

Daytona serial killings from Aileen Wuornos to Gary Ray Bowles: Why have murderers for decades chosen this area?

Here is a report about Daytona Beach and this serial killer case:

Serial-killer coverage doesn't help Volusia County | LETTERS

Here is a report focusing on one of the victims and their relative in this case:

Niece seeks justice, respect for murder victim – Daytona Times

Here is another report about Serial Killers in Daytona Beach. I suppose although I do not know Long Island might be similar but a bit colder:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-killers-that-targeted-the-daytona-beach-area

Here is part of the above article:

"If you're a serial killer, the playing field is ripe for people on the fringes of society," said Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood, who served as Daytona's police chief for 10 years before being elected sheriff in 2016. "Those who have been discarded by society find their way here. Who better for a serial killer to prey upon than someone who isn't going to be missed after they're gone?"

It looks like RH's next 2 court dates have been cancelled. Next scheduled date is 7 November.

09/16/2019 09:00 AM FAP - FIRST APPEARANCE GB #1 (Gun Club)

10/15/2019 10:30 AM CANCELLED - 30 - 30 DAY RETURN GB #1 (Gun Club)

10/24/2019 08:30 AM CANCELLED - AI - ARRAIGNMENT ON INDICTMENT MB 11F (Main Branch)

11/07/2019 08:31 AM ICC - INITIAL CASE CONFERENCE MB 11F (Main Branch)

eCaseView

DELAND, Fla. - On Thursday, Volusia County officials are expected to announce an update in a 14-year-old serial killer case.

State Attorney R.J. Larizza is hosting a news conference at 11:30 a.m. along with Daytona Beach Police Chief Craig Capri and Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood. Officials said the news conference will be about the state’s case against suspected serial killer Robert Hayes.

Florida deputies to provide update on 14-year-old Daytona Beach serial killer case

Suspected Daytona Beach serial killer indicted in 3 cases as surviving victim comes forward

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. —

A man suspected of killing multiple women in Daytona Beach between 2005 and 2007 has been indicted by a Volusia County grand jury in three murders.

State Attorney RJ Larizza announced the indictments of Robert Hayes on Thursday and also said a woman who survived an attack came forward after seeing media coverage of his arrest in September.

Suspected serial killer Robert Hayes indicted in 3 cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back