The Cars lead singer Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan apartment

anonypotomous

Reaction score
Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the rock band The Cars, died Sunday in New York at age 75.

Police said they received a call around 4 p.m. for an unconscious male at a townhouse on East 19th Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Law enforcement sources confirmed the deceased was Ocasek.

> Ric Ocasek, Lead Singer of The Cars, Dead in NY at 75

I've finally come to grips with the fact that many of the rock and roll icons I love will be shuffling off this mortal coil, much sooner than later.. The bands from the 60's and 70s that I especially love - those guys are mostly in their 60s/70s. Mick Jagger and Roger Daltry are both 75, Stevie Nicks is 70 (!!), Steve Perry is 70, Paul McCartney is 77, Bob Dylan is 78..

I didn't know he had six sons. He wrote some great and timeless songs. He sure did a whole lot in his years here on Earth.

Ric Ocasek, The Cars Frontman, Dies at 75

"Ocasek was married three times and left his second wife, Suzanne, after meeting Porizkova in 1984. He is also survived by six sons, two of whom he had with Porizkova; in 2018 she confirmed that the two had separated the previous year after 28 years of marriage."

One of my favorite bands that always brings back some of my best memories from the 80’s , the good ole days, party time! LOL
Gosh, He had such a phenomenal voice.

Earlier today 80’s on 8 Syrius XM radio was replaying an interview done with him. Sounded like such a cool guy. He would go down in the basement and write music, stay there writing until he had 30 or so new songs. Said he usually wrote his music a couple of times a year, and always in the basement. Mega talented guy.

RIP Ric, your music forever lives on.

Ric Ocasek’s cause of death, sweet final drawing revealed

“Ric was at home recuperating very well after surgery. Our two sons, Jonathan and Oliver, and I were making sure he was comfortable, ordering food and watching TV together,” Porizkova wrote. “I found him still asleep when bringing him his Sunday morning coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night he had peacefully passed on. We appreciate the great outpouring of love. We, his family and friends, are completely and utterly devastated by his untimely and unexpected death and would appreciate the privacy to mourn in private.”

Jonathan and Oliver also tweeted, via the Cars’ official account, the final drawing by their father, a gifted mixed-media artist who regularly showcased his drawings, photo collages, and paintings. “Our dad was a prolific doodler. His passing was sudden, unexpected, and beyond heartbreaking. Yesterday, we found this last doodle on his armchair. He couldn’t have known what it would end up meaning to us. We love him so much.” Ocasek’s charming pen-and-paper sketch reads, “Keep on laughin’. It is what it is.”

upload_2019-9-16_17-26-53.jpeg

From what I can see, he and Paulina remained very close and neither one of them were seeing anyone else after their 2018 divorce. They even continued to go out together, and Paulina cared for him after his surgery. I wonder if they divorced on paper for financial reasons but were still married in their hearts and minds.

From what I can see, he and Paulina remained very close and neither one of them were seeing anyone else after their 2018 divorce. They even continued to go out together, and Paulina cared for him after his surgery. I wonder if they divorced on paper for financial reasons but were still married in their hearts and minds.
I didn’t think of that, makes sense to me.

I wondered the same, but it doesn’t say.

I read somewhere that it was heart surgery, but that may be a rumor. His wife isn't saying. She says his sons were supposed to be caring for him. He already was ill from heart disease and pulmonary problems.

Cars front man Ric Ocasek died while recovering from surgery: family

Ric Ocasek’s Family Issues Statement, Reveals Singer Was Recovering From Surgery

His wife said they were ordering food to be delivered to him and his sons would come over to watch TV sometimes with him, but my general impression is that he was home alone much of the time. He was left alone while sleeping the night he died.

His wife said she came by the next morning to bring him coffee. Did anyone call to check on him? Police weren't called until 3 pm. Maybe he was a late riser?

My impression when I read these articles was to feel sorry for him. No one was really taking care of him after his surgery and he was in frail health. I don't know what to believe about his relationship with his wife after they had split up, but it appears they weren't living together any longer. She doesn't seem to have a career, nor do their children, so he must have been paying all their bills. He's not around to explain the situation.

RIP. He sounded like a nice guy, a great artist.

Hmm, guess they were definitely split up. Lovely that they stayed close as a family. Wish more couples could do that for their kids.

-

“Our family always has been — and still is — a well-built car,” Porizkova wrote in an Instagram post at the time. “When the four of us are together, we can go wherever the road takes us. But as a bicycle, my husband and I no longer pedal in unison. So we’re ditching the bicycle.”

The Czech-born actress also revealed that the couple had already been split for quite some time, adding, “Ric and I have been peacefully separated for the past year. The photos of our happy family are, in fact, happy family photos; we are just no longer a couple.”

Though separated, they were not legally divorced prior to his death.

Inside The Cars' Frontman Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova's Decades-Long Relationship

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.48.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.48.05 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
Ok, I'll take your word for it.
Don’t feel bad, I honestly had never heard of her and didn’t recognize her when I saw her pic.
Funny thing to me is when I did see her photo and then the photo of his previous wife, I couldn’t tell them apart..... I thought I was looking at the same person, I mean they could be sisters, LOL ! IMO

OH....I love their music. Especially "Drive". RIP, have a good drive.

Who's gonna tell you when
It's too late?
Who's gonna tell you things
Aren't so great?

You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong
Who's gonna drive you home
Tonight?

Who's gonna pick you up
When you fall?
Who's gonna hang it up
When you call?