AMBER ALERT NJ - Dulce Mariá Alavez, 5, abducted at Bridgeton City Park, Cumberland County, 16 Sept 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in WV and TN for a little while, and I remember missing child cases there being on the local and national news rotation constantly until they were resolved. An older girl vanished in Clayton a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure Greta Van Sustern and Nancy Grace were all over it. It was resolved in a few days (she was murdered by teenagers).

This should be in heavy rotation all over the news, and it's not.

I've lived here most of my life and can't remember a stranger abduction case in Cumberland County. The only one I've heard of happened n the late 70s when I was a toddler. My young parents were haunted by it and referenced it often.

We have more than our share of crime, but what people don't understand is that even though we're in New Jersey and Bridgeton is a "city" ... things are very much behind the times down here. We are poor. We have the least educated, poorest population in NJ. Among the highest drop out rates and unemployment, some of the poorest schools, etc. BUT - we're very rural. It's more like Alabama here than Philly.

Our local LE and officials are good people who do good work, but they certainly lack experience in cases that would get nationwide attention. The only national/controversial stories I can recall are controversial police-involved shootings in Bridgeton/Vineland/Millville that make national news. There are drive by shootings pretty frequently ... they barely make Philly news.

I think what your seeing is a lot of second-guessing and butt-covering going on locally due to inexperience and lack of information. Unfortunately, I don't think they are withholding anything from us and editing information to help the investigation. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me that they have no leads. That's just my own opinion.

When this story first broke my first thoughts were "I don't think Bridgeton police can handle a stranger abduction." I believe a lot of time was wasted thinking it was the family or that she was lost. But I know that's always the first thought of LE.

I lived in WV and TN for a little while, and I remember missing child cases there being on the local and national news rotation constantly until they were resolved. An older girl vanished in Clayton a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure Greta Van Sustern and Nancy Grace were all over it. It was resolved in a few days (she was murdered by teenagers).

It wasn't (and still isn't) in heavy rotation in all of New Jersey. I live on the coast and commute north towards New York City every day. Other than the alert on my phone last Tuesday night, I have not seen or heard much on the news and did not see ANY electronic board alerts on my route up the Parkway from the LBI area to the Turnpike towards New York City.

It seems the news is concentrated in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area.

Yes this was another fear of mine. She wouldn't get the media attention she deserves because she's from a poor area and she's Mexican. She has a young mother who isn't very educated. I truly believe this played into her abductors plan. He probably didn't even think she would get this much local media attention due to the circumstances. Add in language barriers and immigration status issues and it's perfect storm.

I remember the girl from Clayton. Murdered for her bike. I knew of the boys who killed her due to my job. Very very sad.

It's not really detailed. We don't even have an age range. No description of hair or eye color, etc. We only have a description of this person having acne. So if there is any accuracy to this witness at all, presumably the person has bad acne if they were noticed and not much else about the facial characteristics.
I don't mean to be argumentative but if someone was close enough to see acne/facial sores and no facial hair, not even a tiny goatee, how come they cannot describe to a police artist, the shape of his face, oval, broad etc or if he had high cheekbones or wide set eyes or was wearing a baseball cap backwards.
Police artists are very skilled at interviewing and producing sketches.
Unless, the description is not from a live witness and therefore cannot be interviewed, but is in fact from a camera or LE doesn't have confidence in the accuracy or truth of the description.

It wasn't even heavy in rotation in all of New Jersey. I live on the coast and commute north towards New York City. Other than the alert on my phone last Tuesday, I have not seen or heard much on the news and did not see ANY electronic board alerts.

I'm on the boarder of Camden and Burlington Counties and it's headline news every morning. I'm about 45 minutes from Bridgeton.

I don't mean to be argumentative but if someone was close enough to see acne/facial sores and no facial hair, not even a tiny goatee, how come they cannot describe to a police artist, the shape of his face, oval, broad etc or if he had high cheekbones or wide set eyes or was wearing a baseball cap backwards.
Unless, the description is from a live witness and therefore cannot be interviewed, but is in fact from a camera or LE doesn't have confidence in the acruracy or truth of the description.

I'm wondering if there is more to this video that hasn't been released and maybe the video picked up a shot of the suspect and that's where the description is coming from??

Unless, the description is from a live witness and therefore cannot be interviewed, but is in fact from a camera or LE doesn't have confidence in the acruracy or truth of the description.
Can you describe every person you see for a short time? Not sure what you mean description of suspect could have come from video on camera. If abduction was on camera, I am pretty sure LE would have said so, and wouldn't waste so much time searching the park area.

Last edited:
Still, it's irresponsible and potentially harmful to the investigation to release a video of a vehicle and claim it belongs to the suspect without any verification from LE.

Imo

I ageee. It doesn’t even resemble the vehicle the eyewitnesses described. Until LE clarifies and states that is the car, we shouldn’t claim it is.

The very odd thing is that NO ONE, to include the mom, LE, the Cumberland County Prosecutor (her name escapes me now -Mcrea?) or news outlets have confirmed or denied the presence of other children/parents on the playground at the same time as Dulce and her brother. Only the 2 dozen basketball players have ever been discussed.
There were 3 other witnesses interviewed on Saturday, including a child.

We haven't heard of any new information they provided, though.

The video is apparently from security camera of someone who lives close to the park area. I don't think there is any chance it picked up the description of the person driving it.

When this story first broke my first thoughts were "I don't think Bridgeton police can handle a stranger abduction." I believe a lot of time was wasted thinking it was the family or that she was lost. But I know that's always the first thought of LE.

When I saw city park, before the amber alert, I thought she was lost in the woods, and I feared she fell into the water, but I was hopeful she had huddled up under a tree somewhere. I even thought maybe she tried to walk home - families are always walking around Bridgeton. I was a city kid in Vineland. It's not necessarily neglectful or unsafe to have kids running through the blocks, even today. Kids still walk to school some places, and walk from the bus stops unattended. Moms have neighbors looking - there are always people around to help. She might have felt safe trying to walk.

When the amber alert came through I thought ... omg we lost her, and my heart ached for Bridgeton because I realized they had no idea what happened to her.

In the video that has since been deleted the reporter started that the home owner gave the video to LE on tuesday evening and than the Amber Alert was issued later on that night. IMO the only way the media would take it down is if there is reason to believe that video could harm LE chances of finding Dulce. JMO

Hmmm... this implies that the AA was based on that vehicle, but clearly the video and the car description in the AA don’t match. Why would cops release bad info? This is so confusing!

It wasn't (and still isn't) in heavy rotation in all of New Jersey. I live on the coast and commute north towards New York City every day. Other than the alert on my phone last Tuesday night, I have not seen or heard much on the news and did not see ANY electronic board alerts on my route up the Parkway from the LBI area to the Turnpike towards New York City.

I Also love on the coast and commute north - there were amber alerts posted on both gsp and njtp last week bit are no longer up
It just said amber alert red van call 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member