CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what looks like the mom trying to control her out of control son. Sad all the way around.

I was trained in how to de escalate situations, without weapons. I think that police officers now, don't get that training. They resort to full tactical gear response, when maybe, some calm chill could have changed everything.

I wasn't there, nor was I on the Grand Jury. But I sure don't feel safe in my community if police officers can fire at will at Costco.

I feel very sad for Mr. and Mrs. French, makes my heart break. However, I also feel bad for the police offer, Sanchez. He was minding his own business, holding his young son then out of no where gets knocked to the ground, appears it did happen very fast. I would be in shock, and angry had I been knocked to the ground for no reason. It's hard to view all the video, and I wasn't there as a witness to really make a fair judgement call. From my understanding, some of the witnesses didn't want to give a statement and I wonder why. Had I witnessed something like that, I would want to give my statement.

I feel very sad for Mr. and Mrs. French, makes my heart break. However, I also feel bad for the police offer, Sanchez. He was minding his own business, holding his young son then out of no where gets knocked to the ground, appears it did happen very fast. I would be in shock, and angry had I been knocked to the ground for no reason. It's hard to view all the video, and I wasn't there as a witness to really make a fair judgement call. From my understanding, some of the witnesses didn't want to give a statement and I wonder why. Had I witnessed something like that, I would want to give my statement.
Maybe these witnesses don't want to get on the bad side of the LAPD.

I feel very sad for Mr. and Mrs. French, makes my heart break. However, I also feel bad for the police offer, Sanchez. He was minding his own business, holding his young son then out of no where gets knocked to the ground, appears it did happen very fast.
He's a disgusting human being IMO and a disgrace to his profession. But he has plenty of company and is enabled by the public apparently. I would smile if the same ever happened to him.

Last edited:
Is it at all clear how this started? Seriously, Mr. French just knocked him down? On purpose? For no reason? No interaction prior to knocking him down? Not implying any reason would be okay. Just wondering what the heck happened.

I was trained in how to de escalate situations, without weapons. I think that police officers now, don't get that training. They resort to full tactical gear response, when maybe, some calm chill could have changed everything.

I wasn't there, nor was I on the Grand Jury. But I sure don't feel safe in my community if police officers can fire at will at Costco.

I don't have any words that are appropriate, only a lot of tears. I'm crushed.

I will have to very seriously rethink taking my daughter out in public.
What if she has a seizure and falls on someone and they think they've been shot and they shoot our whole family?
What if Kenneth had a seizure and fell into Sanchez?
Would that have even mattered at all?
Of course not because all that matters is Sanchez and what he thought.

Sanchez can't tell the difference between a disabled man and his elderly parents and an active shooter. Yet he's still going to carry a badge and a gun?

That's utterly horrifying. It's should be horrifying to anyone.
I'm going to be sick. :mad:

Sanchez can't tell the difference between a disabled man and his elderly parents and an active shooter. Yet he's still going to carry a badge and a gun?

Yes, and that's IF you believe him. I personally don't. But if LAPD did, then why on Earth let him carry a gun and authority? The individuals are almost never held truly accountable. So it's the institutions that must change. I hope that lawsuit digs in deep.
ETA sorry about the weird attachments - I didn't attach anything. They showed up.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 7
  • image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 7
He's a disgusting human being IMO and a disgrace to his profession. But he has plenty of company and is enabled by the public apparently. I would smile if the same ever happened to him.

I'm just seeing this decision. Unconscionable. Now I better understand your comments on the AG case

Perhaps the family can bring a federal civil rights case against the officer and dept.

This. The problem is that the training officers have now, is a mind set of "criminal" and "shoot to kill". Kill or be killed.

Okay, most police officers are not actually working in literal combat zones, and don't need this type of response drilled into them. That is the problem. We have completely ignored common sense, and deescalation techniques.

This doesn't bode well for society, we have more people who are mentally ill in community settings, and many refugees, people who are immigrants who don't speak English. The "Shoot first" mentality is getting people killed.

This. The problem is that the training officers have now, is a mind set of "criminal" and "shoot to kill". Kill or be killed.

Okay, most police officers are not actually working in literal combat zones, and don't need this type of response drilled into them. That is the problem. We have completely ignored common sense, and deescalation techniques.

This doesn't bode well for society, we have more people who are mentally ill in community settings, and many refugees, people who are immigrants who don't speak English. The "Shoot first" mentality is getting people killed.
You mention that we have more mentally ill people in our community's.

Are you talking about mentally ill people who are violent and can attack innocent people without provocation? Or are you talking about the mentally ill in general? Most mentally ill people don't attack people who are out in public doing everyday activities. But unfortunately some do.

I've personally never been in a situation where I feared for my safety when in the presence of police officers but I have been very scared when confronted by mentally ill people on the street.

In this case we have a person who was assaulted with an apparently severe blow to the head. That's not a minor "bump" or "falling " on someone.

Was this enough to justify firing his weapon 10 times? I'm not sure. But a Grand Jury that looked at the evidence decided that it wasn't enough to indict him.

Should this officer be fired from LAPD? That's a good question that I'll think about. I also hope that we can better help the mentally ill so that they don't attack innocent people like what precipitated this shooting. JMO

Last edited:

I could not agree more! The local police department where I live has partnered with the community mental health agency and committed to having 100% of their officers trained in mental health first aid and crisis prevention training. I think this is great but don't think this is the case everywhere.

A lot of officers are former military and have served in war zones and can't seem to separate that from civilian policing. My ex boyfriend served in the middle east right after 9/11 and after he got out came back a different scary person and became a cop in a different city. It terrifies me that he is a cop because he has PTSD and flashbacks and can be very aggressive, he is also obsessed with guns. I would not be the least bit suprised if he is in an officer involved shooting at some point cause I know his PTSD and love of guns would make him quick to shoot.

Here's a good article on some of the issues with veterans being civilian cops. I'm not saying it's always a bad thing, just an issue that needs discussed when talking about some of the issues with officers who are in charge of the public's safety and the public includes all members of society, mentally ill developmentally disabled ect.

When veterans become cops, some bring war home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member