DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

I have posted about this scientific conference before but it is interesting and there are a few speeches and presentations about the use of investigative genetic genealogy their which seems to have been adopted by the scientific community now as irrefutable science:

https://www.ishinews.com/events/unraveling-the-twisted-case-of-angie-dodge/:

https://www.ishinews.com/

Additional combing through public records eventually revealed that there was another, unacknowledged descendant of that ancestral couple, Brian Leigh Dripps. His phenotypes matched the predictions, and further research by Idaho Falls detectives revealed that he had lived across the street from Angie Dodge in 1996. Detectives collected a surreptitious DNA sample from Dripps, and STR analysis directly matched it to the crime scene sample. After decades of searching, Dripps was arrested, and he is currently awaiting trial.

The Angie Dodge case is an interesting one where the use of genetic genealogy has a longer history than some others:

The man spent 20 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. He was acquitted thanks to genealogical sites and DNA – USA Today

Idaho man, 53, is arrested for the 1996 rape and murder of an 18-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

Forensics gone wrong: When DNA snares the innocent | Science | AAAS

DNA test jailed innocent man for murder

Man became suspect in murder case after his DNA was seized by police from Ancestry.com | Daily Mail Online

Another presentation from the forensic convention:

https://www.ishinews.com/events/can-you-solve-your-case-using-genetic-genealogy/

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. As I cannot view that one here is another one about the same case:

DNA links dead man with no criminal record to 1987 killing - ABC Columbia

Here is another report about the case:

DNA links dead man with no criminal record to 1987 killing

And just to finish off here is a video report:

I just want to make the point it appears the Sheriff who used genetic genealogy to identify this deceased man in the above murder is the same Sheriff that got Todd Kolhepp to confess to the South Carolina Superbike Murders after his prayers in a field were answered:

Sheriff: Serial murderer granted 3 requests before Superbike confession

Group prays with Sheriff Wright on Kohlhepp property

Kohlhepp confesses to 2003 Superbike Motorsports murders, sheriff says

Sheriff Chuck Wright said the closure... - Fox Carolina News

Here is a link to the Websleuths thread about the Superbike Murders cases which Sheriff Chuck Wright got a confession from Todd Kolhepp:

Todd Kohlhepp - Breaking News / Latest Developments #2

I just want to make the point it appears the Sheriff who used genetic genealogy to identify this deceased man in the above murder is the same Sheriff that got Todd Kolhepp to confess to the South Carolina Superbike Murders after his prayers in a field were answered:

Sheriff: Serial murderer granted 3 requests before Superbike confession

Group prays with Sheriff Wright on Kohlhepp property

Kohlhepp confesses to 2003 Superbike Motorsports murders, sheriff says

Sheriff Chuck Wright said the closure... - Fox Carolina News

Here is a link to the Websleuths thread about the Superbike Murders cases which Sheriff Chuck Wright got a confession from Todd Kolhepp:

Todd Kohlhepp - Breaking News / Latest Developments #2

Wow!
Since he seems to be on a roll now, I hope Sheriff Wright continues on to solve other cold cases.

Here is an interesting report about the use of investigative genetic genealogy in Colorado:

Ex-Denver DA Using Familial DNA to Heat Up Cold Murder Cases

Here is part of the above report:

But that's only one of the services United Data Connect provides. "We also develop databases for local agencies that aren't on the national database," he points out. "These databases have regular search capacity, but they also have familial search capacity and genetic genealogy, which is relatively new. That's what they used to catch the Golden State Killer. We have a genealogist and we utilize a lab to do the testing. We're working right now primarily with Colorado folks. We've advised three or four different local law enforcement agencies, because we want to work on Colorado cold cases. But we've gotten inquiries from law enforcement in Florida and a lot of other places."

I have posted about this scientific conference before but it is interesting and there are a few speeches and presentations about the use of investigative genetic genealogy their which seems to have been adopted by the scientific community now as irrefutable science:

https://www.ishinews.com/events/unraveling-the-twisted-case-of-angie-dodge/:

https://www.ishinews.com/

Additional combing through public records eventually revealed that there was another, unacknowledged descendant of that ancestral couple, Brian Leigh Dripps. His phenotypes matched the predictions, and further research by Idaho Falls detectives revealed that he had lived across the street from Angie Dodge in 1996. Detectives collected a surreptitious DNA sample from Dripps, and STR analysis directly matched it to the crime scene sample. After decades of searching, Dripps was arrested, and he is currently awaiting trial.

The Angie Dodge case is an interesting one where the use of genetic genealogy has a longer history than some others:

The man spent 20 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. He was acquitted thanks to genealogical sites and DNA – USA Today

Idaho man, 53, is arrested for the 1996 rape and murder of an 18-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

Forensics gone wrong: When DNA snares the innocent | Science | AAAS

DNA test jailed innocent man for murder

Man became suspect in murder case after his DNA was seized by police from Ancestry.com | Daily Mail Online

Another presentation from the forensic convention:

https://www.ishinews.com/events/can-you-solve-your-case-using-genetic-genealogy/

Here is a report from the Forensic Science Conference mentioned above. I want to claim this post under the US First Amendment. In my opinion based on years of research Joseph DeAngelo is not the Golden State Killer and that man was Ralph Leon Jackson from Virginia who served in the military for ten years. He is a Serial Killer and the FBI know this and as of today have still not identified him. So I ask any privacy groups and lawyers to read this post and to take this into account with the use of genetic genealogy. It's science is flawed and it has been used to wrongly accuse people of crimes they did not commit and in this respect the debate about it use has not even started because it has been allowed to be presented that its use has always lead to the right offender being identified. I ask the innocent groups to look at the Washington State case because it is my belief that this man is also innocent and the FBI failed to disclose this information at the time of his trial:

DOJ Announces Forensic Genealogy Guidelines at Palm Springs Conference

Here is a report from the Forensic Science Conference mentioned above. I want to claim this post under the US First Amendment. In my opinion based on years of research Joseph DeAngelo is not the Golden State Killer and that man was Ralph Leon Jackson from Virginia who served in the military for ten years. He is a Serial Killer and the FBI know this and as of today have still not identified him. So I ask any privacy groups and lawyers to read this post and to take this into account with the use of genetic genealogy. It's science is flawed and it has been used to wrongly accuse people of crimes they did not commit and in this respect the debate about it use has not even started because it has been allowed to be presented that its use has always lead to the right offender being identified. I ask the innocent groups to look at the Washington State case because it is my belief that this man is also innocent and the FBI failed to disclose this information at the time of his trial:

At the moment the US public are not being given the full facts about the fact genetic genealogy has accused innocent people of crimes they did not commit which has destroyed their and their families lives. The FBI have has nearly ten years to identify Ralph Leon Jackson in his crimes and have failed in their responsibility as a public organisation to do so. It is now over a year since Joseph DeAngelo who I believe is an innocent US War Veteran was wrongly accused of crimes through the use of genetic genealogy and no action has been taken to state his innocent and stop his suffering which is costing him his life. I again ask lawyers and civil liberties groups in the US to read my posts. Do not think this is some crazy guy because crazy as it sounds it is the truth. The Department Of Justice genetic genealogy guidelines in the light of what I have said are simple not good enough and made by people who do no understand the mistakes of genetic genealogy and its scientific flaws. They mention an opt out if an investigation is compromised and that opt out might be the one that wrongly accuses another innocent person:

The ISHI conference hosted a number of renowned investigators from around the world, including Holes. Tuesday morning, the Department of Justice released its newly-crafted guidelines for forensic genealogy.

“In an industry like forensic science, change has always been very slow and steady but the development and use of forensic genealogy has been rather fast and furious,” Ted Hunt, Senior Advisor to the Attorney General on Forensic Science, DOJ, said at the conference.

U.S. Department of Justice

At the moment the US public are not being given the full facts about the fact genetic genealogy has accused innocent people of crimes they did not commit which has destroyed their and their families lives. The FBI have has nearly ten years to identify Ralph Leon Jackson in his crimes and have failed in their responsibility as a public organisation to do so. It is now over a year since Joseph DeAngelo who I believe is an innocent US War Veteran was wrongly accused of crimes through the use of genetic genealogy and no action has been taken to state his innocent and stop his suffering which is costing him his life. I again ask lawyers and civil liberties groups in the US to read my posts. Do not think this is some crazy guy because crazy as it sounds it is the truth. The Department Of Justice genetic genealogy guidelines in the light of what I have said are simple not good enough and made by people who do no understand the mistakes of genetic genealogy and its scientific flaws. They mention an opt out if an investigation is compromised and that opt out might be the one that wrongly accuses another innocent person:

The ISHI conference hosted a number of renowned investigators from around the world, including Holes. Tuesday morning, the Department of Justice released its newly-crafted guidelines for forensic genealogy.

“In an industry like forensic science, change has always been very slow and steady but the development and use of forensic genealogy has been rather fast and furious,” Ted Hunt, Senior Advisor to the Attorney General on Forensic Science, DOJ, said at the conference.

U.S. Department of Justice

Here if people are interested is a link to the new guidelines issued by the US Department Of Justice about the use of investigative genetic genealogy. I am in favour of LE protecting people and criminals being caught because it could be myself or my relative but I want the use of genetic genealogy being debated with the US Public being given all the facts and these facts include that it may not always be scientifically fool proof and innocent people may wrongly be accused of crimes they did not commit:

https://www.justice.gov/olp/page/file/1204386/download

Of course these debate has relevance for other countries and the very future of the US as a country. I sometimes think of people like Quincy ME who I used to watch I TV who stood up for what was right and just and he would have fought tooth and nail for an innocent person. This is what America and my country like to stand for and this is what is right and what is wrong and a sense of what is fair. Given all the relevant information I would trust the US public and their representatives will make decisions that are in the best interests of their country.

Last edited:
Here if people are interested is a link to the new guidelines issued by the US Department Of Justice about the use of investigative genetic genealogy. I am in favour of LE protecting people and criminals being caught because it could be myself or my relative but I want the use of genetic genealogy being debated with the US Public being given all the facts and these facts include that it may not always be scientifically fool proof and innocent people may wrongly be accused of crimes they did not commit:

Of course these debate has relevance for other countries and the very future of the US as a country. I sometimes think of people like Quincy MD who I used to watch I TV who stood up for what was right and just and he would have fought tooth and nail for an innocent person. This is what America and my country like to stand for and this is what is right and what is wrong and a sense of what is fair. Given all the relevant information I would trust the US public and their representatives will make decisions that are in the best interests of their country.
From the link:

A suspect shall not be arrested based solely on a genetic association generated by a GG service. If a suspect is identified after a genetic association has occurred, STR DNA typing must be performed, and the suspect’s STR DNA profile must be directly compared to the forensic profile previously uploaded to CODIS.14 This comparison is necessary to confirm that the forensic sample could have originated from the suspect.

From the link:

A suspect shall not be arrested based solely on a genetic association generated by a GG service. If a suspect is identified after a genetic association has occurred, STR DNA typing must be performed, and the suspect’s STR DNA profile must be directly compared to the forensic profile previously uploaded to CODIS.14 This comparison is necessary to confirm that the forensic sample could have originated from the suspect.

As I say always interesting to read your posts and have your friendliness around. However I do not think it works quite like that in our flawed world where EAR/ONS and other murderers cause so much harm to good people. Anyway I understand why my posts might provoke debate but I feel they are my moral duty to make. As I say I am not going to argue:)

Of course these debate has relevance for other countries and the very future of the US as a country. I sometimes think of people like Quincy ME who I used to watch I TV who stood up for what was right and just and he would have fought tooth and nail for an innocent person. This is what America and my country like to stand for and this is what is right and what is wrong and a sense of what is fair. Given all the relevant information I would trust the US public and their representatives will make decisions that are in the best interests of their country.

Here is another report about the new guidelines brought in by the Department Of Justice about the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

Justice Department sets rules for using genealogy sites to solve crimes

Here is part of the report posted above:

There's more even after meeting these rules. FBI lab officials have to evaluate the suitability of a sample and suggest "reasonable" alternatives to genealogy sites when possible. The investigators must then agree with prosecutors that genealogy is a suitable option. If they get the go-ahead, they have to explicitly identify themselves as law enforcement to these sites, use only sites that make clear the police have access, keep data as private as possible and obtain consent from third parties before collecting any reference samples. Any analysis on a covertly-obtained sample will require a search warrant, and samples have to be limited to the identification purposes necessary for the case.

Here is another report about the new guidelines brought in by the Department Of Justice about these of investigative genetic genealogy:

Justice Department sets rules for using genealogy sites to solve crimes

Here is part of the report posted above:

There's more even after meeting these rules. FBI lab officials have to evaluate the suitability of a sample and suggest "reasonable" alternatives to genealogy sites when possible. The investigators must then agree with prosecutors that genealogy is a suitable option. If they get the go-ahead, they have to explicitly identify themselves as law enforcement to these sites, use only sites that make clear the police have access, keep data as private as possible and obtain consent from third parties before collecting any reference samples. Any analysis on a covertly-obtained sample will require a search warrant, and samples have to be limited to the identification purposes necessary for the case.

Here is another report about the new guidelines about the use of investigative genetic genealogy. As someone commented there is an image of JJD or Joseph DeAngelo above the article and of course he was the man identified as the Golden State Killer case. In this image he is in a wheelchair but of course the former LE Officer Paul Holes who lead the genetic genealogy investigation that identified Mr DeAngelo has stated this was an act as was any suicide attempt and made this clear in his book confirming he was the offender Evil Has A Name:

New federal rules limit police searches of family tree DNA databases

Here is part of the above article:

Legal and ethics experts welcome the new rules, although some don’t feel they go far enough. “This policy is a big step forward in addressing some of the most pressing privacy concerns in this area,” says law professor Natalie Ram of the University of Maryland School of Law in Baltimore. At the same time, Ram thinks police should need a search warrant or other oversight from a judge to conduct a genetic genealogy search.

This is one of those reports I cannot view but it looks to be a report about another case where investigative genetic genealogy has been used to identify a suspect:

We'll be back

Here is another report:

DNA tests lead to arrest of suspected serial rapist from Ogden | Gephardt Daily

Here is another one that I cannot view but hopefully other people can:

'Serial rapist' arrested for crimes dating back to 1991, Clearfield police say
With the help of a DNA database, the Clearfield Police Department arrested a man Wednesday they believe committed multiple aggravated sexual assaults in Utah and Wyoming between 1991 and 2001.

Mark Douglas Burns, 69, of Ogden, has been charged with eight counts of aggravated sexual assault, six counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated burglary and one count of aggravated robbery — and police believe this is not the full extent of his offenses.

[...]

But police credit their real breakthrough to advancements in DNA technology and the work of a genetic genealogist Barbara Rae-Venter, who was able to discover a potential familial relationship of the suspect’s using previously gathered evidence. As a result of that work, officers were eventually able to identify and interview Burns, culminating in his arrest Wednesday after two decades of investigation.

Police say he committed each rape in a similar fashion — breaking into homes, blindfolding the victim with duct tape or ripped clothing, and then brutally raping the victim repeatedly — often while other people were in the home. He allegedly targeted women in apartments with sliding glass doors, and would take money and panties with him when he left.

His victims ranged in age from an 11-year-old girl to a 52-year-old woman. They lived in Clearfield, Ogden, Layton and Riverdale.

Clearfield police arrest alleged serial rapist with the use of a DNA database

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice is coming
Back