GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

definitely not random there was much time spent planning this to be random. I don't buy that SS didn't find dna or finger prints it's almost impossible to not leave any evidence so i'd say he didn't look thoroughly. If SS did find hairs or fibers and say he had them tested my guess is it came back to someone related

Seems I struck a nerve with the administrator as a comment was deleted because she said I stated it as fact. How a link can be a fact is beyond me but i'm tired of the crap so i'm done with this forum. Wish you all the best of luck and hope the killers get caught and soon. I'll join another forum with better moderators.

Hi Dancin' I live in Atlanta so I am not new to the headlines on this case from way back - though I didn't seek out Web Sleuths at the time. This case still bothers me.

So, let's look at the illogical, makes-no-sense, random side-of-the-coin for a minute here with the Dermond case. I am reminded of a horrifically awful triple murder at Faria Beach in 2009. The link is in the last sentence, but I will summarize here.
  • Well-liked, upper-middle-class family is watching American Idol in the Faria Beach oceanfront home (the mother is visibly pregnant)
  • Intruder appears at sliding glass door dressed in all black and motorcycle helmet and demands money
  • 9 year-old offers $1000 from mom & dad's wallets
  • Intruder refuses the money, takes parents into the back bedroom. Assaults the mother and viciously stabs (30x times) all three (including unborn) with a knife retrieved from their own butcher block
  • Intruder exits without money
  • Senseless, Barbaric, Illogical, Evil
  • Much speculation that it was a disgruntled ex-employee or business partner, and a personal attack due to the overkill. But... Why murder if robbery? Why murder if no weapon brought to house?
  • Similarities to Dermond Case: Unlikely victims, Upscale neighborhood, no clear motive, vicious M.O.
  • Differences: DNA was left at the scene (but initially no match), unorganized.
  • A subsequent robbery eventually led to a DNA match a year later. To this day, the murderer in the Husted case has offered no motive for the escalation of the crime
Is it possible (not probable) that the Dermond case is equally as illogical (though more organized) and, truly random, therefore the puzzle pieces just won't fit together??

Welcome Esvk!

I remember this crime well, as I was traveling to the area at the time. It was chilling, in that the victims were just relaxing in their home, in an upscale area, watching TV. I was elated when an arrest was made, but still wonder about his motive.

You bring up an interesting point. Yes, it is a possibility the Dermond crime was one of those entirely random occurrences. The odds, however, are against it. The longer it drags on, the more likely it might be. I like your thinking, so glad you are here!

IMHO

Seems I struck a nerve with the administrator as a comment was deleted because she said I stated it as fact. How a link can be a fact is beyond me but i'm tired of the crap so i'm done with this forum. Wish you all the best of luck and hope the killers get caught and soon. I'll join another forum with better moderators.

No, hockey, you can’t leave us!

I don't want to but if this is the way this person wants to run the forum then I will just move on. This also happened awhile back when I mentioned the pastor of the Dermonds church might be involved. but either way I don't need that stress in my life.

C'mon hockeyguy... I understand your frustration with rules and regs here. But, there are so few people who know this case so well and have followed since the murders occurred. Your voice is very valuable - even if there's an occasional censor - it just demonstrates you consistently strive to discuss possible solutions to this case within the limitations we have here.

Do what ya gotta do but I felt compelled to encourage you to stay.

I watched a Netflix series this weekend and episode 2 is about this couple who were 85 years old that got killed by two brothers over $8500.

They ran a Christmas Tree farm that brought in transient labor and the case went cold for 22 years until a witness came forward.

Probably not related, but interesting cases to add to the list of elderly couples.
All in east coast states. All unsolved. Three years apart -

MA 2011 - Magee
GA 2014 - Dermonds
FL 2018 - Swan

FL – David, 88, & Mina Swan, 80, Double Murder, Clearwater, 29 SEP 2018

MA - MA - John, 69, & Geraldine Magee, 67, Andover, 14 Dec 2011

1985 Cold-Case Homicide Solved

The grandkids and children were both suspects for a long time.

I watched a Netflix series this weekend and episode 2 is about this couple who were 85 years old that got killed by two brothers over $8500.

They ran a Christmas Tree farm that brought in transient labor and the case went cold for 22 years until a witness came forward.

I noted many differences in this case last week when watching these

1985 Cold-Case Homicide Solved

Mansfield said the Riffe brothers were their primary suspects from the beginning of their investigation, but they did not have evidence of probable cause "until much later on."

They worked on the farm, took them to the bank to withdraw funds

Probably not related, but interesting cases to add to the list of elderly couples.
All in east coast states. All unsolved. Three years apart -

MA 2011 - Magee
GA 2014 - Dermonds
FL 2018 - Swan

FL – David, 88, & Mina Swan, 80, Double Murder, Clearwater, 29 SEP 2018

MA - MA - John, 69, & Geraldine Magee, 67, Andover, 14 Dec 2011

I have been following all three of these double murders and it's terrible that none of them have been solved (yet.) My personal opinion is that all three couples were targeted, but for different reasons. The Magees were shot execution style and I believe it was a professional hit related to business dealings/money/power. I don't believe it was personal. IMO, the Swans were murdered because of a grudge/payback of some kind. David was most likely the target and poor Mina was unfortunately home at the time. The Dermonds - well, the most curious case of all but my gut tells me it's about $$$$$, plain and simple. I think the Swan murders will eventually be solved, but I don't think the Magees will ever be solved. Totally a professional hit. The Dermonds...well, I personally am not holding out much hope after all this time. This is all just my personal opinion.

THis shows the docks, Maples on the right I think and the cove neighbor in front of the house

Great views of the Dermond's lakeside yard from either property,

Maples was out of the country

Attachments

• dermond house and docks.jpg
    dermond house and docks.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 15
The house in the above picture is the same house I’ve been saying the neighbor would’ve been able to see something. It’s the only vantage point. While I’ve never looked to see who lives in that house it’s the one that the pontoon pulled out of in my video.

THis shows the docks, Maples on the right I think and the cove neighbor in front of the house

Great views of the Dermond's lakeside yard from either property,

Maples was out of the country

Dermonds dock is first on left. That house is angled where you could see a man on the lawn but the trees are to thick on Dermonds lawn to see a face.

Attachments

• D2CE5154-C0C6-4ABF-9690-7D2DBA5B43E6.jpeg
    D2CE5154-C0C6-4ABF-9690-7D2DBA5B43E6.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 15
The house in the above picture is the same house I’ve been saying the neighbor would’ve been able to see something. It’s the only vantage point. While I’ve never looked to see who lives in that house it’s the one that the pontoon pulled out of in my video.

Could there have been someone there... house-sitting?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back