GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my 1st post on this case but I live locally & have followed the news & the trial to date. IMHO Guyger had other options. If she truly felt scared & threatened she could have tased Jean or ran out or whatever. I think too many of our police are trigger happy. And I know the Prosecution tried to get some texts of Guyger's admitted but the Judge would not allow, that were in direct conflict with Guyger's persona of "wanting to help people," <modsnip> (The Judge said they would be too prejudicial.) <modsnip> The outcome was doomed from the start. And I'm disappointed in how the Prosecution in this case seems to lack any passion. It's like they're just going thru the motions. I have no doubt that she'll be found not guilty or acquitted. And I think it's a damn shame.

Your opinion is interesting, when I heard the prosecutions opening statement I would have agreed with you but when I heard the cross-examination of Amber Guyger I changed my mind completely. Did you see that?

I am sorry that happened. Your response was so appropriate and helpful to him. My response with my son still bothers me and it has been 19 years. I have had a lot of training since then and think I would do differently now but I do not know. If you had asked me then, any mother who did not render aid was worthless. Then, it happened to me. That is why your experience on training helps me understand what an officer in shock might do.

If it makes you feel any better, I also lost a child and when I found her dead my instinct was not CPR and I knew how to do it. My instinct was to call 911. I was alone and had to make that decision and when I returned her grandpa walked in and was doing it. I did not take over because at that point I couldn't think straight, the whole situation was absolutely surreal but then again that's probably mostly due to the fact that I loved her and I was in shock. She was my child. A couple of minutes later the first responders took over. I can tell you I see it as very comforting that others who could handle it did do it because I know she got their true effort since I am not sure how well I would have done it given the circumstances.

What I understand now is why other people like to say that something would never happen to them, or they would've done something differently. It is self-preservation. If you come to the realization that "there but for the Grace of God, go I", then you would live your life in fear of everything like I do now having realized it could be me because it was once me.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I also lost a child and when I found her dead my instinct was not CPR and I knew how to do it. My instinct was to call 911. I was alone and had to make that decision and when I returned her grandpa walked in and was doing it. I did not take over because at that point I couldn't think straight, the whole situation was absolutely surreal but then again that's probably mostly due to the fact that I loved her and I was in shock. She was my child. A couple of minutes later the first responders took over. I can tell you I see it as very comforting that others who could handle it did do it because I know she got their true effort since I am not sure how well I would have done it given the circumstances.

What I understand now is why other people like to say that something would never happen to them, or they would've done something differently. It is self-preservation. If you come to the realization that "there but for the Grace of God, go I", then you would live your life in fear of everything like I do now having realized it could be me because it was once me.
Thank you for sharing your story @ReadyorNot . I am very sorry for your loss.

Certainly one can have a th
The one big difference: She was a trained and, for all intents and purposes, a veteran officer. 4 years in, you're past being a rookie and you've learned to deal with the adrenaline spike and shock of an encounter. Sure, she hadn't shot someone before, but I'm sure she's dealt with a shooting victim in the prior 4 years with Dallas.

One of the things that is drilled in at the Academy is that if you are ever on-trial . . . "I was trained," "It was my training," or "In training, we" . . . . statements I have not heard from AG throughout. I realize the FOP isn't providing her attorney, but it's so odd not to have her rely on her training and instead answer on the stand as if she's an untrained civilian who has never been exposed to blood. It's mind-boggling.
Anyone else see on the search warrant that was executed for his apartment mentions that he opened the door for her? Very interesting to say the least.

warrant
" an unknown male inside the apartment confronted the officer at the door"

well, there was a big fat lie that she told regarding this shooting- that he confronted her at the door----

Certainly one can have a th

" an unknown male inside the apartment confronted the officer at the door"

well, there was a big fat lie that she told regarding this shooting- that he confronted her at the door----
She had to re-think that lie, didn't she, since his body was found in the living room by the sofa and her shell casings were found in the kitchen area. Oops.

I think the prosecution's best chance of getting a conviction in this case is to show what a liar AG is: I wish they could use that warrant (they probably can't) to show what her story was initially: he confronted her at the door- i guess her attorney told her that won't fly so she came up with another story: I think the medical examiner's testimony that the bullet was in a downward trajectory which would mean Botham Jean could not have been standing up coming at her, is huge: Does the defense have an opposing pathologist to counter that testimony? Once the jury believes a defendant is lying, they are more likely to convict- they won't believe anything she testified to.

I don’t know if it was ever publicly confirmed:

Did Amber Guyger Go On A Caribbean Cruise After Killing Botham Jean?

... court records revealed that Guyger may have gone on a Caribbean cruise after killing Jean.
3/19/2019

Aside from learning the trial date, “[t]he state also subpoenaed the cruise ship company Royal Caribbean to submit records ‘pertaining to all cruises taken by Guyger’ between Sept. 23, 2018, and March 4, 2019; beginning two weeks after Jean’s death,” NBC News reported.

Beginning in November 2018, the judge stated Guyger was to surrender her passport to her attorney and was not to travel outside Texas without the court’s approval,” NBC reminded.

I am sorry for your loss. You captured my conflict exactly. You think you will react a certain way but then, it happens to you, and you are shocked that you do not. It opens your mind to what can happen in those circumstances. I am grateful to know that you had someone to take over so you know all was done that could be done. It is a very helpless feeling to realize you could not act when you would have wanted to do anything possible.

I'm not finding any coverage. Does anyone have a link? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member