GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moments ago, that hope was just realized when Amber Guyger was found guilty for the murder of Botham Jean, who was killed by Guyger, a Dallas police officer at the time, when she entered his apartment and shot him dead; they were neighbors and Guyger claimed she thought she had gone into her own apartment and that Jean was an intruder. No verdict balances the scales of what Jean’s family has suffered and lost, but this semblance of justice is both rare and necessary. It took not only a skilled team of organizers and activists, but a world class legal team, a committed district attorney, a fair judge, and a racially diverse jury to get what so few families impacted by such violence ever do.
Guilty Verdict Against Amber Guyger Gives the Family of Botham Jean the Justice They Deserve

Guyger’s defense returned repeatedly to her exhaustion, as she had just wrapped up a lengthy shift at work. The prosecution showed that she had been exchanging sexually explicit text messages with her partner earlier that day and argued that she may have been distracted by the texts.

According to Guyger, she entered the apartment directly above hers because she had accidentally parked on the wrong level of the building’s parking structure. The lead investigator for the case argued that this was a common mistake in the building.

It became apparent before the trial that Guyger received favorable treatment from other officers after the accident. Police left her alone at the crime scene, a member of a police union was allowed to speak to her before her arrest, and Texas Ranger David Armstrong, the lead investigator for the case, told the court (though not the jury) that he did not believe she had committed a crime. In a move that outraged critics even more, police searched Jean’s apartment for drugs, found marijuana, and made that information available to news media. The family described the move as an attempted smear against the victim. This and other actions by law enforcement caused critics to point to race as a factor—a line of argument Kemp banned in her courtroom.
Dallas Police Officer Convicted of Murder in Fatal Shooting of a Black Man in His Own Apartment

Relief is among the reactions as Dallas leaders hear the Amber Guyger 'guilty' verdict
don't forget Bunny's Video and her harassment by LE

Doesn't the polling generally come after sentencing? Or...maybe I have that backwards?

Polling is usually after the verdict and I’m surprised defense did not poll also. The jury did not know the definition of “unanimous” in the Jessica Chambers trial. They were sent back by Judge Gerald Chatham twice and ended up hanging. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I have had to be in and out all day, so can someone tell me if I understand this correctly.... the sentencing will be today?

Former officer convicted of murder in wrong-apartment killing of innocent man

The 31-year-old Guyger, who was fired from the Dallas Police Department days after the shooting, faces a prison sentence of five to 99 years. The sentencing phase of the trial is scheduled to begin later Tuesday and the jury is expected to hear from Jean's family members before rendering punishment.

05BF9264-C064-4DCC-BA01-98016974C3FA.jpeg

Fired Dallas police officer Amber Guyger leaves the courtroom after a jury found her guilty of murder, Oct. 1, 2019, in Dallas.

Jobin Panicker‏Verified account @jobinpnews 1m1 minute ago
#NEW Now in punishment phase of trial for Amber Guyger. State trying to include her applications to be officer. She allegedly was denied by Fort Worth PD, failed polygraph in first test w/ DPD, and admitted to smoking marijuana. Defense says it's prejudicial. Judge deciding @wfaa

EF0ET6bWkAEcD7q.jpg

I have had to be in and out all day, so can someone tell me if I understand this correctly.... the sentencing will be today?

Former officer convicted of murder in wrong-apartment killing of innocent man

The 31-year-old Guyger, who was fired from the Dallas Police Department days after the shooting, faces a prison sentence of five to 99 years. The sentencing phase of the trial is scheduled to begin later Tuesday and the jury is expected to hear from Jean's family members before rendering punishment.

View attachment 207170

Fired Dallas police officer Amber Guyger leaves the courtroom after a jury found her guilty of murder, Oct. 1, 2019, in Dallas.

yes- sentencing today- going on right now:

Court TV (@CourtTV) | Twitter

Mohamed Noor?

Sorry but I cannot recall which case it was. I only remembered it because I was wondering too if they put former LE officers in with general population. In the particular case I was following I recalled that they were definitely going to keep him apart from general population at least in the beginning.

Sorry but I dont remember what case I was following when that was discussed.

But, the judge wouldn't let that testimony in!

First: poll all the officers to see how many worked similar OT shifts over the past decade? And then: How many of them mistakenly entered a wrong home and shot and killed the innocent home owner? How many refused aid? How many lied about it? How many were too busy sexting?

Also: let’s see the work load of that shift. How much of it was spent working vs sexting?

Yes, IMO. But the words would be different, more personal and less group oriented. We can’t ignore the racially based injustices in the history of our system, so this case means more to several groups of people than just the individual incident. JMO.
I personally think the greatest bias and injustices in our system is based on one color: green (okay and maybe a hint of blue)

And I completely support and appreciate the thin blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy