GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>I will agree that going to the wrong apartment was an accident.

But, we should be clear that the jury found that her entering the home and shooting to kill Mr. Jean was not an accident. As an officer, Ms. Guyger should have exited the apartment and ask for departmental aid-- if she had she would have recognized that she was at the wrong apartment. As an officer, Ms. Guyger was supposed to render aid and did not. It was not an accident that her 911 call showed she cared more about her and her job loss rather than saving this man's life after she realized her mistake. It was not an accident that the president of the DPA turned off recordings that would have given a further insight into her state of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much!
Did she exit her” private way” she always goes ...or hand cuffed?
Hand-cuffed. The judge cleared the courtroom so media would not see that. According to WFAA, this is standard practice to treat suspects with dignity, and also not to show prejudice until all sentencing is completed.

Here's what we know about the case:
  • The verdict: The jury deliberated less than 24 hours. The jury had two questions for the court this morning before they reached the verdict, according to attorneys for the Jean family. They asked for the definition of manslaughter and for additional information on the so-called castle doctrine — the legal notion that your home is your castle, and you have the right to use lethal force to defend your home and not retreat.
  • "Huge victory": Outside court, S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family, called the rare murder conviction against a police officer a "huge victory" not only for the victim's family but also "for black people in America."
  • Sentencing hearing: The jury heard from Jean's mother, who described the day she learned her son had been fatally shot. "My life has not been the same," she said today in court. "It's just been like a roller coaster."
  • Possible sentence: With the murder conviction, Guyger, 31, faces up to life in prison.
Allisa Charles-Findley, Botham Jean’s sister, testified during Amber Guyger's sentencing this afternoon.

“I want my brother back,” she said as she watched a video of Botham singing at church.

She put her head in her hands when the prosecutor played two videos of him singing, and she said it’s his voice that makes her miss him.
We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

I will agree that going to the wrong apartment was an accident.

But, we should be clear that the jury found that her entering the home and shooting to kill Mr. Jean was not an accident. As an officer, Ms. Guyger should have exited the apartment and ask for departmental aid-- if she had she would have recognized that she was at the wrong apartment. As an officer, Ms. Guyger was supposed to render aid and did not. It was not an accident that her 911 call showed she cared more about her and her job loss rather than saving this man's life after she realized her mistake. It was not an accident that the president of the DPA turned off recordings that would have given a further insight into her state of mind.
I believe she was in a state of shock after the shooting!

I'm going to disagree with you on this. For me the moral compass is interesting here. I have never stolen a thing, or taken illegal drugs, or posted anything remotely racist (or offensive). And it's not my job to uphold law and order either.

What direction her moral compass pointed in was conclusively answered by the fact she chose to kill rather than to retreat, and that she cared more about how killing a man would affect her job than about doing her job -and moral duty- to at least stay with that man so he didn't die alone.

Bringing in a stolen pencil and brownie and the 3 times she smoked pot was not only absurd, imo, but also trivialized the first degree murder verdict just reached.

As far as her SM posts. "Casual racism" is exactly the kind of racism that leads to "good" people making "bad decisions," especially in exigent situations. A few of her posts were obviously "casually" racist; the kind of casual where it never occurred to her the recipient would be offended, because she knew he wouldn't be, same with the casually racist messages sent to her.

That said. Her pinned quotes mean zippo nada, imo. Dark humor goes with the territory in every high stress occupation, and being a 5'3 woman in an uber- alpha male SWAT team environment and trying to match the macho isn't surprising or evidence of being trigger happy.

When the state uses a charge not supported by the evidence, the accused is forced to defend against an inappropriate charge.

In short, part of Due Process could be say, not having to defend oneself against inappropriate charges. Or, an accused person having an implied Constitutional guarantee that charges brought by the State will fit the circumstances of the crime.

As to whether the above is actually true or not, I have no idea. It is just a guess by me and is not even an informed opinion.

The grand jury decided the charge was supported by evidence. The jury at trial heard the evidence and decided AG is guilty of murder. I don't see how it has anything to do with due process.

JMO

The only young people who think that is "cute" are young people with a damaged moral compass.

31 is not "young."

We have extended adolescence in this country. We also have tv, internet shows, and movies, and comedians who do exactly those kinds of jokes, and people who are young or immature or both will mimic them.

I'm not an apologist. But I am a realist and a human, and I also know that I can't go casting stones because of "outrageous" things I have said in the past, and probably just this morning, too.

My outrage is about her proud aggression, which is an unfortunate part of police culture these days, like those Punisher decals. The rest is just icky cake.

I believe she was in a state of shock after the shooting!

There are plenty of people who have accidents that kill other people (IMO, this was not an accidental killing) and are interviewed by LEO and no one says, "Oh, gosh. They are in shock so let's not interview them. They are just too upset we won't get good information." They interview them. They also get their blood drawn to see if the presence of alcohol or drugs. Ms. Guyger's blood was not drawn until at least 3+ hours after Mr. Jean was declared dead or 2+ hours after his mother and sister were notified of his death. If she was in shock and needed medical care for it rather than be able to provide a statement, she should have been taken to the hospital where she could have been treated AND had her blood drawn. I might even go for shock if we had the audio from the police car but, oh right, they stopped recording her based on the union boss's demand.

Last edited:
What direction her moral compass pointed in was conclusively answered by the fact she chose to kill rather than to retreat, and that she cared more about how killing a man would affect her job than about doing her job -and moral duty- to at least stay with that man so he didn't die alone.

Bringing in a stolen pencil and brownie and the 3 times she smoked pot was not only absurd, imo, but also trivialized the first degree murder verdict just reached.

As far as her SM posts. "Casual racism" is exactly the kind of racism that leads to "good" people making "bad decisions," especially in exigent situations. A few of her posts were obviously "casually" racist; the kind of casual where it never occurred to her the recipient would be offended, because she knew he wouldn't be, same with the casually racist messages sent to her.

That said. Her pinned quotes mean zippo nada, imo. Dark humor goes with the territory in every high stress occupation, and being a 5'3 woman in an uber- alpha male SWAT team environment and trying to match the macho isn't surprising or evidence of being trigger happy.
Yes of course, murdering somebody would rather point to a compass malfunction. However, guess the legal eagles see relevance in bringing the other details forward otherwise they wouldn't have done so.

“I can’t take his picture out of my face,” says Chuck Hicks, who is an assistant music professor at Harding. “He’s on my desk, he’s in my hallway, he’s on this wall right here.”

“We worked our way through an awful lot of the challenges of humanity with him at my right side,” says Hicks.

On this planet we don’t really get justice,” says Hicks. “What we get is something that will make us feel just a little bit better about being human.”

Hicks says he’s sad for Botham’s family but he’s also sad for Guyger’s family. “She didn’t choose it on purpose. She didn’t choose to ruin her life and I’m really sad for that.”

That sentiment echoed by Harding University president Bruce McLarty.

“There are no winners in a situation like this,” says McLarty. “We know there is no verdict that will take away the pain for this family and the sense of loss that we all have for an incredible young man who held such tremendous promise.”
Harding University reacts to Amber Guyger murder conviction

The jury unanimously voted that Amber Guyger is guilty of murder. Was justice served? Is there grounds for appeal? Did race play a part in the jury’s verdict? Attorney Chris Lewis joins Rick in the Court of Public Opinion and analyzes the jury’s verdict…
Direct link to broadcast:
https://21393.mc.tritondigital.com/...erdict.mp3?t=1569966639&dl=1&utm_source=Embed

Rick Roberts Show: Attorney Chris Lewis Analyzes The Amber Guyger Guilty Verdict

The were multiple races on this jury. Which race are they speaking of?

The grand jury decided the charge was supported by evidence. The jury at trial heard the evidence and decided AG is guilty of murder.
Just because a Grand Jury does "X" and a jury does "Y" and a judge does "Z" does not automatically mean that "X", "Y" and "Z" are constitutional.
I don't see how it has anything to do with due process.
Due Process could mean that if the State proscecutes me on charges that don't fit the circumstances of the criminal act, they have violated my due process.

Also, keep in mind that due process has been rather broadly defined by some Courts on the progressive side of the house.

Last edited:
Guyger Wrote Jokes About a Martin Luther King Jr. Parade & Said She Wanted a Racist Dog, Prosecutors Say
guyger2.png

Amber Guyger: Texts on MLK Jr. Day, Black Officers | Heavy.com

OMG! I am watching this taped now. AG is too stupid. <modsnip>

"Not racist" whatever! She is beyond.

And Bo's Mother is so beautiful and classy. (Edited, thought that was his sister). She is so amazing and strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
GUILTY OF MURDER
I watched her testimony, and I was thinking she would get a negligent homicide or manslaughter charge. I don't know state law, but I question whether or not she had intent. This definitely didn't seem like a hate crime to me, as she was bawling her eyes out from grief. The police force (especially in Texas) may have looked at her as a trouble-maker if she had asked for help before entering what she thought was her apartment, and her equipment may have blocked her view of the rug. I could have gotten confused myself, but this is a reason I don't own a gun. I haven't seen all the evidence, but as of now I just don't see her as being deserving of the death penalty. This case will go a long way to assist in tighter gun control laws, and I am a proponent for tighter gun control. I hate that it was her though to have this happen. Why not someone who didn't have their whole life ahead of them? Is there any evidence that makes anyone feel differently about this case? Like, had she already shown herself to be racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆