GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can totally understand what you’re saying, I just think the atmosphere in our country is no longer as willing to accept the off-color humor or minimizing/numb responses to violent situations. We see first responders and ER surgeons etc. who still care and have empathy for every patient they treat.

It’s exactly those attitudes of many PDs around the country that need to change IMO.
The officers who go into any department and attempt to be different will be forced out. A change like this won't happen in our lifetimes.

I think if she had been on duty a settlement would happen more quickly and quietly. But since she wasn’t I think DPD will claim “she was acting outside the scope of her duties, and we even have a uniform policy to prevent this from happening! It’s not our fault she looked like she was on duty!” JMO and I hope I’m wrong. I wish the Jean family only ever had to return to Dallas by their own choice, I hate that the lawsuits keep re-traumatizing them.

I will look into any possible immunity clause soon. I hope none will apply here too JMO.
I saw a quote somewhere that the department had stated this was considered an “officer involved shooting”...which, if that’s an accurate report of the statement, DPD is going to regret saying.

Editing this because I may be confusing this case with the cop in Costco who is getting away with murdering that young schizophrenic man.

Last edited:
1. August of 2018
Botham Jean moves into South Side Flats apartment complex in Dallas, Texas. He is deeply involved in his church and works for the accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.

2. September 6, 2018
Around 10 p.m., Botham Jean is in his home. While the details are unclear because only Guyger can tell the story, the 26-year-old is gunned down by the Dallas police officer. Guyger’s defense is that she went to the wrong apartment and killed him because she thought he was a burglar.
upload_2019-10-2_10-3-42.jpeg

Pertula Redd

3. September 9, 2018
After 72 hours, Guyger finally turns herself in. She is charged with manslaughter and released on bond.

4. September 10, 2018
In an affidavit released on Monday, September 10, Guyger claims Botham Jean “ignored” her commands, blaming the victim for his own death. Also, her story changes, the door went from being locked to unlocked. Also, witness come forward saying they heard a woman’s voice saying, “Let me in!” And a man’s voice saying, “Oh, my God. Why did you do that?” right after the sound of a bullet.

5. September 11, 2018
By Tuesday, September 11, it was reported that Guyger now claimed Jean’s door was ajar. A resident proved it was impossible for the doors at the complex to be a jar.

6. September 12, 2018
Protesters shut down a city council meetingm chanting “No justice, no peace.” Mayor Mike Rawlings abruptly ended the meeting.

7. September 13, 2018
On the day of Botham Jean’s funeral, the Dallas police disgustingly released an affidavit saying the there were small traces of marijuana found in his apartment. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean’s family, said, “I think it’s unfortunate that law enforcement begin to immediately criminalize the victim — in this case, someone who was clearly was the victim that has absolutely no bearing on the fact that he was shot in his home.”

8. September 14, 2018
In a powerful press conference, Allison Jean, Botham’s mother, rips into the Dallas police department for releasing details that they found marijuana in his home. She said, “The information received yesterday is, to me, worse than the call that I got on the morning of Friday, Sept. 7. To have my son smeared in such a way, I think shows that the persons who are really nasty, who are really dirty and are going to cover up for the devil, Amber Guyger.” She also added, “Give me justice for my son because he does not deserve what he got. I will not sit back and see that justice does not prevail.”

9. September 18, 2018
15174085777436.jpg

Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall is being slammed by the Jean family and activists for not firing Amber Guyger. However, she says she is “prohibited” from firing her due to “civil service laws” — but she failed to cite the law. Dallas attorney Peter Schulte told ABC 8, “When I read Chief Hall’s statement today, it just doesn’t make much sense to me. I don’t know if it’s ignorance or being naive, but it doesn’t make any sense legally.”

10. September 21, 2018
St. Lucia’s Prime Minister Allen Chastanet slams the Dallas police for the handling of the Botham Jean case, saying, “Some people want to go further, that this was home invasion and therefore is subject to capital punishment. Now again, all these things are starting to play out because capital punishment is what the whole world has been trying to convey to us that we should not practice, yet here is a state in America that still practices it.”

He continued, “This is the inconsistency or hypocrisy, if you want to call it that, that exists in the global context that we have to deal with.”

11. September 24, 2018
Guyger is finally fired, when only days before Police Chief Hall said she couldn’t fire her. Nonetheless, Jean family is still asking for justice, they are demanding her charges be changed from manslaughter to murder.

12. September 26, 2018
The family sued the city of Dallas for civil rights violations. According to Fox 4 in Dallas, “The attorneys say the lawsuit will argue that Jean’s civil rights were violated when off-duty Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger mistakenly went to his apartment and shot and killed him, thinking she was encountering an intruder in her apartment.”

13. September 29, 2018
September 29 was Botham Jean’s birthday. He would have been 27. See the video of Rep. Marc Veasey honoring Jean,

14. October 5, 2018
Dallas DA Faith Johnson accused of mishandling the case. She continuously defends herself, telling people to “trust” her. She is also accused of being more focus on reelection rather than charging Guyger with murder.

16. October 17, 2018
In an interview with Jordan Chariton, Jean’s family attorney. Lee Merritt, says there are social media posts with Amber Guyger bragging about being violent. He said, “She bragged about being violent, being short tempered. She bragged about use of force and she spoke out adamantly against things like kneeling [during the anthem] and said the NFL died of ‘Colin’ cancer.” That is an obvious reference to Colin Kaepernick. See one of the posts above.

17. October 19, 2018
Botham Jean’s mother says she has not heard from Trump administration. She says, “What we would like to see is great attention to this case by top government officials in the United States. We have heard nothing from Washington, D.C., and it really gives a feeling that some people just don’t care about lives.”

18. October 22, 2018
Details of the family lawsuit against the city of Dallas revealed. “Jean’s parents say they want their lawsuit to not just focus on how their son died, but to change how police officers are trained about when to fire their weapons,” the Dallas Morning News reported. In addition, “The Jeans also fault [Dallas Police Chief U. Reneé] Hall for turning over the case to the Rangers and say Dallas police should have kept investigating. Hall has said she turned over the case in an effort to be more transparent.” After the backlash, Hall has not commented on the Botham Jean case in weeks.

19. October 22, 2018
Details of the family lawsuit against the city of Dallas revealed. “Jean’s parents say they want their lawsuit to not just focus on how their son died, but to change how police officers are trained about when to fire their weapons,” the Dallas Morning News reported. In addition, “The Jeans also fault [Dallas Police Chief U. Reneé] Hall for turning over the case to the Rangers and say Dallas police should have kept investigating. Hall has said she turned over the case in an effort to be more transparent.” After the backlash, Hall has not commented on the Botham Jean case in weeks.

20. October 29, 2018
On October, 29, Kimberly Williams-De Leon, 42, was shot and killed in her St. Lucia. Allison Jean, Botham’s mother, spoke out in support of her, saying, “He or she must be caught and caught soon. Now. Immediately… The comfort that one gets from first of all knowing that this person who pulled that trigger is in custody – that’s number one comfort. Number two comfort – that the person who did this is held accountable for their actions and that means that they are given a murder charge.” She also said she will fight for a murder charge for Amber Guyger

21. November 6, 2018
On the 2 month anniversary of Botham Jean’s death, Justice for Botham Team committee called on the public to wear red. Committee member Nicole ‘Nikki’ David said, “Amber will never be the same again in her life… Amber knows she did something wrong… Justice will be served.”

23. November 26, 2018

15417749731538.jpg

A grand jury began hearing the case. Activists said they would protest if she is not charged with murder.

24. November 30, 2018
A grand jury returned an indictment to charge former police officer Amber Guyger with murder for killing Botham Jean. The panel reportedly decided there was enough evidence to show the manslaughter charges Guyger was initially facing were not strong enough.

25. December 28, 2018
15385037746485.jpg

DallasNews.com reports Officer Jared Waddle used pepper-ball against protesters. According to department records, the officer “technically shouldn’t have been able to use a PepperBall gun.” However, officials found, in their preliminary report, that the cop “used the gun in a way that was ‘consistent’ with the department’s general orders.”

26. December 30, 2018
FoxNews4.com reported, Dallas released an “extremely small portion of the Botham Jean incident report after an open records request from FOX4.” Incident reports are usually detailed, however, “in this case, all but the first four sentences, which contain basic information, are blacked out.” Outside of the offense being listed as manslaughter, the majority of the other details were blacked out, including if Guyger was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. A trial is scheduled for Aug. 12.
A Disturbing Timeline Of Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Killing Botham Jean In His Own Home

She can never own a gun again.
Even after time served..,right?
IF her conviction isn't overturned on appeal. The TX state law restoring gun rights after 5 years of residence post-release (parole or end of sentence) is still in contradiction to Federal Law which still prohibits felons from owning guns.

My opinion on sentencing hasn’t changed because the new info at sentencing did not surprise me. But this is just how the US handles sentencing, character comes in for the defendant AND victim. It is a good and bad thing, and she has the full ability to present witnesses as to her good character and positive qualities, her remorse, her ability to be rehabilitated, etc.

Many people see criminal convictions and sentences as JUST punishment for the defendant. US law actually has criminal sentencing for four main reasons: punishment, rehabilitation, deterrence, and retribution.

The sentence has to account for all 4. The defendant must be punished for their actions, the sentence also must consider the ability to rehabilitate the criminal (will they do it again or not? Are they a threat to society?), there has to be consideration of the deterrence effect of a sentence (other people should see the punishments issued and attribute a higher risk in their decision of whether or not to commit crimes), and there also must be retribution to the victims and their loved ones.

I echo your thoughts almost exactly. I was also dismayed by the stuff that came out about her but in reality it has not affected my feelings about a possibly appropriate sentencing range.

Wait a minute so her family was in court for the first time on Monday?? Well that does make me feel kinda sorry for her. But she did have her brothers in blue so.....but still. I wonder what her upbringing was like, her family situation etc.

ETA: Someone pointed out that no one reached out to touch her when the guilty verdict was read. Not even her attorneys. I didn’t think about it or notice it then; I was busy balling my eyes out. But that’s quite telling to me. In the sense that everyone on her side had to put up a show of support but in their hearts perhaps they don’t have any sympathy for her either. Perhaps they dislike her as well. And I wonder if her fellow officers were giving her false hope and making her feel justified in what she did. I think a person who shows true remorse would be much easier to support in this situation but we know that’s not her.
It’s possible those officers who were “supporting” her were more just showing up thinking “there but for the Grace of God go I” and hoping they’re banking some karma.

I saw a quote somewhere that the department had stated this was considered an “officer involved shooting”...which, if that’s an accurate report of the statement, DPD is going to regret saying.
Civil cases cannot target the police department and instead must be against the city. Whether DPD considered this an officer-involved-shooting or not (it was. Off-duty is still an officer), a civil suit will still target the city of Dallas.

While I've never gone to the wrong apartment, I've mistaken other vehicles for my own. Had I opened the mistaken car door, I believe I would know before sitting down that it's not my vehicle.

Just the same, I can certainly understand going to the wrong apartment, and even attempting to unlock the wrong door -- but once the door is open (pushed door open in this case), how do you not recognize this is not your home? It's not like this was a hotel room with identical furnishings.

MOO
This is precisely why I have issue with the whole situation. Unless she was impaired by drugs, alcohol, or some type of head injury, it’s not reasonable to believe she didn’t know it was not her apartment.

And even if I chose to believe that she really thought it was her apartment, the fact that someone was there should have made her immediately question if she had the wrong apartment rather than immediately assuming there was an intruder in her apartment and killing him.

She’s a police officer, trained to be observant, yet she missed clue after clue that she was entering the wrong apartment? Not believable to me.

Last edited:
IF her conviction isn't overturned on appeal. The TX state law restoring gun rights after 5 years of residence post-release (parole or end of sentence) is still in contradiction to Federal Law which still prohibits felons from owning guns.

It would be interesting to know if any convicted felons have ever used this law and were able to possess a weapon again in Texas? Maybe the Fed doesn't enforce that law like the legal marijuana states?

I'm sorry, I just kind of jumped in. After reading the excellent timeline, I'm confused how she got into that apartment. Was the door locked or unlocked?

@CourthouseNews
https://mobile.twitter.com/CNSDallas

@LaVendrickS

Jury looking at a supportive text message Botham sent Stossel while she was making a life-changing decision to move to East Texas.
"This could be the best decision of your life. You'll never know if you never attempt it," part of the message says.

@CNSDallas

Alexis Stossel, best friend of #BothamJean from Harding U, cries as she testifies at sentencing "you felt welcome by his presence," that he often officiated weddings of classmates. Large images of him smiling with a bride and groom displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong