GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve yet to even see the back of her head on camera today, unlike the rest of the trial. So yeah she is keeping a low profile today. Court TV said the defense asked if AG could be allowed to come in without being shackled and the judge allowed it.

ETA I thought I was replying to @dog.gone.cute about AG being in the courtroom today. Lol. I need more coffee y’all.

Last edited:
They couldn't find a single person who could testify that she did something selfless for someone else? That she helped someone in a sweet, giving way? That she gave back to her community through volunteering, donating, anything. Nothing at all? Not a single sole? They didn't have pictures, video, nothing. It's crazy. Did she really never do anything for another human?

And I don't consider that last witness to be anything close to it.

what is the point of saying Amber has changed...of course she has...she murdered a man in cold blood. I don't get this testimony. I don't think jury is going to be impacted by this at all with the exception of her mother.
It goes to the rehabilitation and retribution factors in sentencing, IMO. If she changed and shows remorse then she is less likely to re-offend or be considered a danger to the public, and if she has genuine remorse that can be seen as some retribution to the Jean family. JMO on the purpose of this testimony, not on its credibility.

In the interest of fairness, I will say that many of us would probably pale in comparison to Botham in terms of selflessness, faith, leadership qualities, and just genuine goodness. I think his qualities are rare and hard to measure up to. I guess that’s why defense is pounding the fact that she always wanted to be a cop. However, not everyone considers cops as being beacons of selfless service to the community. And no matter where you stand on that, being a cop comes with tremendous power and responsibility. Her testimony demonstrates that she wanted all the power and none of the responsibility.

In the interest of fairness, I will say that many of us would probably pale in comparison to Botham in terms of selflessness, faith, leadership qualities, and just genuine goodness. I think his qualities are rare and hard to measure up to. I guess that’s why defense is pounding the fact that she always wanted to be a cop. However, not everyone considers cops as being beacons of selfless service to the community. And no matter where you stand on that, being a cop comes with tremendous power and responsibility. Her testimony demonstrates that she wanted all the power and none of the responsibility.

Very true. I wouldn't expect her to be as good as him. I think he was truly a rare human. (Which makes this so much more awful.) I didn't expect them to even come close. But they didn't even make her seem very good. I guess they were really working with that little.

I’m sorry for my opinion on this but the Prosecution is being slimy in their tactics now. “Always means all the time” and then picks one message that can be seen as less respectful than another one. Many people talk about their bosses, I’m sure not in the best light, that doesn’t mean she should get more years added onto her sentence.

I’m sorry for my opinion on this but the Prosecution is being slimy in their tactics now. “Always means all the time” and then picks one message that can be seen as less respectful than another one. Many people talk about their bosses, I’m sure not in the best light, that doesn’t mean she should get more years added onto her sentence.

It won't. At least, IMO...I don't believe that moment will matter. They did their job, they have to challenge it. If the defense found something like that on the victim, they would do the same thing. It's their job. They have to establish inconsistency with what people are saying. Both sides try to do this. For the defense, they didn't have anything like that to work with. If they did, you better believe they would be right there.

She is a normal person. That is not a crime.

I don't think it's a crime, at all. I don't expect everyone to be more than normal. (I would also never want someone to be punished for being normal.) I'm just amazed at how flat it fell. Maybe the defense didn't lead them down the right path of questions. Maybe they prepared them too much and it influenced their demeanor. It just didn't feel impactful. They seemed bored. Or VERY coached and insincere. I fully expected to feel very sorry for these people and for AG to have sympathetic testimony. This is a horrible thing and her family and friends are victims, as well. They are losing a daughter, friend, sister, etc. to a murder conviction and prison. None of them felt like they were seriously sad. I will blame the defense, because they should have elicited more than that.

The jury didn’t see that. They were excused.

But I don’t think it was slimy. It’s relevant bc she’s a cop who has shown an incredible lack of judgment and failed to follow her training in the senseless killing of another. Her ability to follow orders is absolutely relevant. And if she’s disrespectful of her supervisors it could show a level of contempt for authority. In any case, Judge didn’t allow that line of questioning.

Is it normal in Texas for a pre-sentencing hearing to be so involved? I mean, I really thought that the court would do some victim impact statements, and then on to actual sentencing.

The one I sat in on only had 2 witnesses for the defense and 1 for the defendant. It was quick. What it did though was reaffirm our decision and the actual deliberation for his sentence didn't take long at all.

I was surprised that Ms. Guyger's mother and sister did not mention that they were sorry for the loss of Mr. Jean to the court and his family. I felt the friend who said that Amber was sorry was actually on point. Ms. Guyger is not a monster. I tend to believe that she is an average person who never had horrible intentions. I don't see her parading around spouting awful things out loud about others. However, she did say and think awful things about the people she served and served with. The idea that she and her peers had the hubris to write these things in a private chat is beyond disgusting to me.

I thought the only persons who were important to hear from was the woman who had been impacted by Ms. Guyger and her mother. Each of these witnesses gave a sense of the "best" Amber that was inside this body. Unfortunately, Ms. Guyger didn't bring that person to the forefront everyday. She didn't follow procedure that night. She didn't back away (and her friends testified that she used to go to the safe place in high school) and she didn't think before she acted ---and at his door before it opened she did have time. She didn't bring her best self to helping a man who lay dying and now we see that she was capable of caring and kindness, so where was it that night? The "Amber" they describe was only there when she cared for the person personally or had a soft spot for those in need. She seems to not be caring to those who are not vulnerable in her eyes. I am sure the woman in the crack house reminded her of her fragile mom who has been ill (not implying mom had a drug problem but that she and this woman were fragile, maternal, and wounded).

I believe it is unfair to compare these two people. Mr. Jean was a stellar person with an impact that most would pale to in comparison.

Last edited:
AG is being described as a typical teen/high school student. She had goals and ambition. She met her closest girl friends in orchestra.

Unfortunately, I believe becoming a police officer changed AG -- hardened her, diminished her empathy, left her cold.

I don't think the person being described by her early friends is the person she was in Sept 2018.

AG testified she found the door to apartment ajar, and heard shuffling sounds inside.

She did not have to open the door, within 5 minutes she could have had back up at the apartment door and perhaps by that time she would have realized she was at the wrong door.

I think AG was angry when she reached that apartment door, and drew her weapon in anger. I believe anger overruled her judgement that evening.

MOO

BBM for emphasis:

Right, this was a fourth floor apartment and this wasn’t a Mission: Impossible movie or Ocean’s 11 heist.

There was no danger of the “burglar” making some daring escape via rappel or helicopter. There was just one point of entry.

She could have (and should have) called for backup. Waited for him to do what exactly? Stroll out with her stuff while eating ice cream? That’s worth killing for? There was no immediate danger.

Every decision she made defied reasonable action or good common sense.

All moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member