VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaejae

Former Member
Reaction score
This is my thread about the crimes of an individual I know to be a Serial Killer that has yet to be identified as one after almost a decade to the victims he so terrorised.

It is my opinion that the campaign to encourage people to OPT IN to sites like GEDMATCH and other genealogical websites is unethical as it should be the decision of an individual and not a campaign. Here is a page advocating other people to OPT IN with their DNA:

Public Education – How you can help forensic genealogists

Of course the US Department Of Justice has recently issued new guidelines about the use of genetic genealogy in criminal cases:

Department of Justice Announces Interim Policy on Emerging Method to Generate Leads for Unsolved Violent Crimes

Last edited:
It is my opinion that the campaign to encourage people to OPT IN to sites like GEDMATCH and other genealogical websites is unethical as it should be the decision of an individual and not a campaign. Here is a page advocating other people to OPT IN with their DNA:

Public Education – How you can help forensic genealogists

Of course the US Department Of Justice has recently issued new guidelines about the use of genetic genealogy in criminal cases:

Department of Justice Announces Interim Policy on Emerging Method to Generate Leads for Unsolved Violent Crimes

Just want to make the point that DNA by definition is unique to an individual hence it should be an individuals decision. For instance how do you know the people advocating that other people enter their DNA into a database have done so with theirs.

Just want to make the point that DNA by definition is unique to an individual hence it should be an individuals decision. For instance how do you know the people advocating that other people enter their DNA into a database have done so with theirs.

I agree. Laws to protect the privacy of an individual's genetic information are not very good. People don't realize that sharing their DNA information with private companies can subject them (and their families) to unfair discrimination in so many areas from jobs, to insurance to credit and lending, etc. This information is often shared without the person's knowledge and there's no real penalty to people who share it or companies who use it to discriminate. There are some terrible stories about what has happened to people when their employer or mortgage holder, etc. get access to that kind of information.

These are uncharted waters, when it comes to using DNA in the area of law enforcement. It's a fantastic tool to help LE and they should be able to use it, but not until there are better protections for innocent people, relatives, etc.

I agree. Laws to protect the privacy of an individual's genetic information are not very good. People don't realize that sharing their DNA information with private companies can subject them (and their families) to unfair discrimination in so many areas from jobs, to insurance to credit and lending, etc. This information is often shared without the person's knowledge and there's no real penalty to people who share it or companies who use it to discriminate. There are some terrible stories about what has happened to people when their employer or mortgage holder, etc. get access to that kind of information.

These are uncharted waters, when it comes to using DNA in the area of law enforcement. It's a fantastic tool to help LE and they should be able to use it, but not until there are better protections for innocent people, relatives, etc.

Good and interesting post on my thread:)

I am in favour of criminals being caught and victims families getting justice and have tried for years to get answers for some. From what I have seen I happen to believe LE can make some mistakes because they are only human and these mistakes have included with genetic genealogy. From what I know and see I just think it is unethical for people to encourage other people to enter their DNA into databases when as you say above there could be negative consequences and the people encouraging other people to do so do not know all the facts or what will happen. It appears DA's have been advocating members enter their DNA into databases for them to use and to me this is unethical and for example how do you know the DA's have done it and how do you know how they will use it or that they as an individual are honest. However that is not really the point is to me it is unethical for them to encourage people with no criminal records to do so particularly as they may only be hearing of the benefits of genetic genealogy second hand. Also I think LE and former LE have a responsibility not to try and influence younger more impressionable people in these matters. I do not believe it was there primary motive but it needs to be said ParaBon Labs are a private company whose profit depends on their use of genetic genealogy. Others are part of the genealogy scene and therefore have their biases and this is why I am saying it us an individuals decision:

Last week the Association of Deputy District Attorneys sought to simultaneously bring attention to the nonprofit Institute for DNA Justice while also calling on citizens to become so called “genetic witnesses” by submitting their DNA information for use by the police.

Becoming a Genetic Witness | VOICE

Last edited:

I am in favour of criminals being caught and victims families getting justice and have tried for years to get answers for some. From what I have seen I happen to believe LE can make some mistakes because they are only human and these mistakes have included with genetic genealogy. From what I know and see I just think it is unethical for people to encourage other people to enter their DNA into databases when as you say above there could be negative consequences and the people encouraging other people to do so do not know all the facts or what will happen. It appears DA's have been advocating members enter their DNA into databases for them to use and to me this in unethical and for example how do you know the DA's have done it. However that is not really the point is to me it is unethical for them to encourage people with no criminal records to do so particularly as they may only be hearing of the benefits of genetic genealogy second hand. Also I think LE and former LE have a responsibility not to try and influence younger more impressionable people in these matters:

Last week the Association of Deputy District Attorneys sought to simultaneously bring attention to the nonprofit Institute for DNA Justice while also calling on citizens to become so called “genetic witnesses” by submitting their DNA information for use by the police.

If I had lost my relative to a violent crime I am sure I would think differently with the way the facts about genetic genealogy are presented at the moment but this is not an impartial viewpoint. Of course the victims of crime have a very important voice but in the ethical debate other voices have to be heard.

I am in favour of criminals being caught and victims families getting justice and have tried for years to get answers for some. From what I have seen I happen to believe LE can make some mistakes because they are only human and these mistakes have included with genetic genealogy. From what I know and see I just think it is unethical for people to encourage other people to enter their DNA into databases when as you say above there could be negative consequences and the people encouraging other people to do so do not know all the facts or what will happen. It appears DA's have been advocating members enter their DNA into databases for them to use and to me this is unethical and for example how do you know the DA's have done it and how do you know how they will use it or that they as an individual are honest. However that is not really the point is to me it is unethical for them to encourage people with no criminal records to do so particularly as they may only be hearing of the benefits of genetic genealogy second hand. Also I think LE and former LE have a responsibility not to try and influence younger more impressionable people in these matters. I do not believe it was there primary motive but it needs to be said ParaBon Labs are a private company whose profit depends on their use of genetic genealogy. Others are part of the genealogy scene and therefore have their biases and this is why I am saying it us an individuals decision:

For instance although I am sure the vast majority are basically honest and want to serve the public but DA's are people and have their flaws. They have ambitions and your DNA could be used in their ambition and this is a subjectivity.

Here is an interview with CeCe Moore who is the chief scientist at ParaBon Labs investigative genetic genealogy department:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It is a re-airing but I think there is some additional information as well.

Here is the synopsis of the Podcast:

This week on Decrypted, we're re-airing our story about CeCe Moore, who helps law enforcement track down killers by combing through databases of consumer DNA test results. At the end of the episode, host Aki Ito catches up with reporter Kristen V. Brown to see what's new in this emerging field.

There is a Homicide Detectives conference later this year and genetic genealogy will be a subject of discussion there:

CeCe Moore - National Homicide Investigators Association

The chief genetic genealogy scientist CeCe Moore will be there:

Genetic Genealogy Services for Law Enforcement, Media Consultant, Public Speaker Specialties:Genetic Genealogy, Forensic Genealogy, Cold Case investigations, Unknown Parentage Investigations

CeCe is an investigative genetic genealogist and media consultant. She has worked as the genetic genealogist for the PBS Television documentary series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. continually since 2013 and as a producer in Season 5 (2019). She is a sought after media consultant and the founder of The DNA Detectives, which boasts an online following of over 100,000 people. CeCe also recently joined forces with Parabon Nanolabs to lead their new Genetic Genealogy Services for law enforcement unit, with thirty successful identifications to date.

CeCe is an ABC News Consultant and collaborates regularly with 20/20, showcasing her cutting-edge work reuniting individuals of unknown parentage with biological relatives through genetic genealogy, and helping law enforcement to resolve cold cases. She has appeared frequently as a genetic genealogy expert on TV shows including 60 Minutes, The Dr. Oz Show, The Today Show, Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, Nightline, CBS This Morning, Fox News, Smerconish,The Doctors, Crime Watch Daily, Nancy Grace, and Finding Your Roots. Her research was also been featured on PBS’ Genealogy Roadshow in all three seasons.

Learn More

Last edited:
There is a Homicide Detectives conference latter this year and genetic genealogy will be a subject of discussion there:

CeCe Moore - National Homicide Investigators Association

The chief genetic genealogy scientist CeCe Moore will be there:

Genetic Genealogy Services for Law Enforcement, Media Consultant, Public Speaker Specialties:Genetic Genealogy, Forensic Genealogy, Cold Case investigations, Unknown Parentage Investigations

CeCe is an investigative genetic genealogist and media consultant. She has worked as the genetic genealogist for the PBS Television documentary series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. continually since 2013 and as a producer in Season 5 (2019). She is a sought after media consultant and the founder of The DNA Detectives, which boasts an online following of over 100,000 people. CeCe also recently joined forces with Parabon Nanolabs to lead their new Genetic Genealogy Services for law enforcement unit, with thirty successful identifications to date.

CeCe is an ABC News Consultant and collaborates regularly with 20/20, showcasing her cutting-edge work reuniting individuals of unknown parentage with biological relatives through genetic genealogy, and helping law enforcement to resolve cold cases. She has appeared frequently as a genetic genealogy expert on TV shows including 60 Minutes, The Dr. Oz Show, The Today Show, Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, Nightline, CBS This Morning, Fox News, Smerconish,The Doctors, Crime Watch Daily, Nancy Grace, and Finding Your Roots. Her research was also been featured on PBS’ Genealogy Roadshow in all three seasons.

Learn More

Of course the April Tinsley case was also solved through the use of genetic genealogy:

NHIA Conference Topics and Speakers - National Homicide Investigators Association

Murder of April Tinsley - Wikipedia

As people may know I believe Ralph Leon Jackson was actually the East Area Rapist and that Joseph DeAngelo was identified through scientifically flawed investigative genetic genealogy. I also believe because he crimes were stopped in 2010 who was also the NorCal Rapist. People can be fooled because he was finally captured in his home state not far from his home he did not travel about but this was not the case. Here is a report about he NorCal Rapist case:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article235723477.html

As people may know I believe Ralph Leon Jackson was actually the East Area Rapist and that Joseph DeAngelo was identified through scientifically flawed investigative genetic genealogy. I also believe because he crimes were stopped in 2010 who was also the NorCal Rapist. People can be fooled because he was finally captured in his home state not far from his home he did not travel about but this was not the case. Here is a report about he NorCal Rapist case:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article235723477.html

In my opinion it is outrageous that the Sacramento DA's Office should try and withhold information about how they concluded Mr Waller was the offender. Of course Ralph Jackson's identity as the offender in my view has been known since 2010:

“It does us no good if we can’t go and look at that work,” veteran DNA counsel Guy Leighton told Judge Laurie Earl.

But prosecutors from Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert’s office, where the innovative technique was born during the decades-long hunt for a Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist suspect, argue that their techniques – which they have dubbed “investigative genetic genealogy,” or IGG – have solved numerous crimes and that there is no obligation to hand over such material.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article235723477.html#storylink=cpy

Here is a report about flaws in some DNA testing. Of course DNA has been very good evidence convicting many terrible criminals and juries can follow the logic that each person is unique as you are yourself and if you keep cats no two cats are the same for instance even is they look similar. However DNA does not exist in a vacuum and it is subject to the processes of human being who are subjective and sometimes flawed. Also DNA evidence has to exist in an environment and can be effected or contaminated:

The False Promise of DNA Testing

Hey jaejae, i've seen you mention this guy in several threads. Just curious what is it that originally made you hung up on him? Is there any evidence circumstantial or not to think he carried out any of these crimes and if so what is it? Has he been mentioned as a suspect or poi or just at all in any cases he wasn't convicted of?

Hey jaejae, i've seen you mention this guy in several threads. Just curious what is it that originally made you hung up on him? Is there any evidence circumstantial or not to think he carried out any of these crimes and if so what is it? Has he been mentioned as a suspect or poi or just at all in any cases he wasn't convicted of?

It is my opinion Jackson is the worst Serial Killer in US history and I regard this as a great sleight. This is because bottom line I regard Jackson as English and I am totally ashamed someone with such a nice and honest sounding name would behave it that way. Cheers

It is my opinion Jackson is the worst Serial Killer in US history and I regard this as a great sleight. This is because bottom line I regard Jackson as English and I am totally ashamed someone with such a nice and honest sounding name would behave it that way. Cheers

As I have said I am totally ashamed that any one with my DNA would behave in that way but life moves on but not for the victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998