Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have one more question about this, tgy.

Is it usual for the post office to arrange a post person's delivery as starting from the post office and going outwards, or starting at the town's outskirts and moving inwards? Or neither?

The route could be a huge loop that leads you back to the depot and there are a few larger bush properties around that area but a postie always returns to the post office to drop the undelivered items for pickup, you know when you get a card to pick up? It’s illegal for items to remain in a van overnight, it happens I know but illegal.
It’s usually a tried and true route which can be changed, it’s up to the postie. The only time I changed it was when I had several huge boxes that I was happy to get rid of, maybe like Chapman’s plants that might have been in my way.
There were times I delivered bees. Ah yes bees, buzzing in tubes in the back was unnerving or plants but I still usually stayed on route because then it makes for a late day. Like Chapman’s plants I would’ve put the air conditioner on. Sometimes I was found by people who needed their items & that was fine.

I guess he could have been mistaken thou??

Yes, maybe. Only because there are too many off things about his actions, so I am concerned about his credibility.

The wait to officially speak of his sighting I find completely absurd. When the whole town was searching high and low, and the media were full of William's disappearance. And when Spedding was being looked at with such intensity.

Even if he didn't like FGM, he still hung another person out to dry ... if he thought a blond woman took little William.

Maybe but I really don't think so........
I'm not saying I really think so but I'd like to see it put to him. He might be able to say that his visitors arrived or left at such-and-such a time and that's how he knows he isn't an hour out, that sort of thing. Or he might say, yes, at one point I did think the time then was 9:50-ish, but I must have read it wrong because . . . etc. Or if he said, well I really think the clock said 10:45 and the two hands are quite distinct, but what you're saying is not impossible . . . to me that sounds like a credible witness.

Edit: thanks for your notes, DrSleuth. I post and then find I'm half a page behind.

I'm not saying I really think so but I'd like to see it put to him. He might be able to say that his visitors arrived or left at such-and-such a time and that's how he knows he isn't an hour out, that sort of thing. Or he might say, yes, at one point I did think the time then was 9:50-ish, but I must have read it wrong because . . . etc. Or if he said, well I really think the clock said 10:45 and the two hands are quite distinct, but what you're saying is not impossible . . . to me that sounds like a credible witness.

Edit: thanks for your notes, DrSleuth. I post and then find I'm half a page behind.
If only we in the general public got to ask our own follow up questions to the witnesses :D How good would that be, so many times you sit there waiting for a follow up question that never bloody comes..........very frustrating!

I’ve been watching The Mind... Explained on Netflix and one expert mentioned that the research shows around 50% of a memory changes within the first year, even though the person is usually 100% sure their memory is correct. That fact has certainly dampened my belief in witness statements to a certain degree. Especially in regards to PS and RC.

I’ve been watching The Mind... Explained on Netflix and one expert mentioned that the research shows around 50% of a memory changes within the first year, even though the person is usually 100% sure their memory is correct. That fact has certainly dampened my belief in witness statements to a certain degree. Especially in regards to PS and RC.

Yes, I have read similar. That the mind builds on or slightly alters a memory on each remembering. So a person can end up with quite an altered recall of an event over time.

Mr Chapman did come off as very confident / certain in what he saw............it's hard to explain when you are not there to see & hear the witnesses. I heard when one of the detectives asked how he was before he gave evidence & he replied that he was good, & that he had purposefully not been watching the news etc about WT until he had given his evidence.............

I just wish he went to the cops initially!!

This is what I have written down for Mr Chapman re clock/time

Craddock : So you were waiting on a delivery of plant cuttings, expected to be delivered to your door.

Mr Chapman: No, postman would leave a card & I would than collect from post office.

Mr Craddock : Did you drive at that time?

Mr Chapman : Yes I had a car.

Mr Craddock : So waiting for the postie , did you hear a noise?

Mr Chapman : What I thought was postie at mailbox. I got up from sunroom where I was sitting out the back of the house.

Mr Craddock: You got up hearing a noise & head towards door as noise indicated postman had come. Noise gratting sound like mailbox closed. Mailbox made of tin?

Mr Chapman : Yes, as I walked thru the kitchen to the loungeroom I looked at the clock on the wall & noted the time of 10:45 am, I am quite sure of that.

Thats intriguing that the items did not leave the PO.
Different routines I guess.
No, postman would leave a card & I would than collect from post office.

This is what I have written down for Mr Chapman re clock/time

Craddock : So you were waiting on a delivery of plant cuttings, expected to be delivered to your door.

Mr Chapman: No, postman would leave a card & I would than collect from post office.

Mr Craddock : Did you drive at that time?

Mr Chapman : Yes I had a car.

Mr Craddock : So waiting for the postie , did you hear a noise?

Mr Chapman : What I thought was postie at mailbox. I got up from sunroom where I was sitting out the back of the house.

Mr Craddock: You got up hearing a noise & head towards door as noise indicated postman had come. Noise gratting sound like mailbox closed. Mailbox made of tin?

Mr Chapman : Yes, as I walked thru the kitchen to the loungeroom I looked at the clock on the wall & noted the time of 10:45 am, I am quite sure of that.
I wonder what's with the question "Did you drive at that time?" I guess from it that he no longer drives, but still I don't see the point of the question.

I wonder what's with the question "Did you drive at that time?" I guess from it that he no longer drives, but still I don't see the point of the question.
JLZ there are so many random questions like that that MR Craddock seems to just throw in...............for what ever reason or no reason at all!

A funny moment was when Mr Craddock asked Mr Chapman if he had an interest in "breeding" plants & the corner straight away told him " I think you mean propagating"

JLZ there are so many random questions like that that MR Craddock seems to just throw in...............for what ever reason or no reason at all!

A funny moment was when Mr Craddock asked Mr Chapman if he had an interest in "breeding" plants & the corner straight away told him " I think you mean propagating"
And yet surely the topics are carefully planned. They don't just put up the witness, make small talk, and hope something useful comes out.

And yet surely the topics are carefully planned. They don't just put up the witness, make small talk, and hope something useful comes out.

There is probably a certain amount of making the witness feel comfortable or uncomfortable - depending who the witness is - in order to achieve the best result from them. imo

BBM: Wasn't there some mention here that the disagreement between FGM and Mr Chapman was about propagating plants?

Last edited:
Found the link. Yes the disagreement was about plant propagation .... maybe there was a method in Craddock's unusual line of questioning, after all.
Maybe he was alluding to the fact that they knew about the argument, and possibly why Mr Chapman did not tell about his sighting?

Mr Chapman said he knew William’s foster grandmother, who was at the house on Benaroon Drive when William went missing, “but I didn’t get on very well with her”.
The Australian understands they had an argument many years ago about the correct propagation of flowers, but that wasn’t why Mr Chapman didn’t approach police.

NoCookies | The Australian
Shock Tyrrell evidence: ‘I saw William in car’
August 29, 2019

Last edited:
I think that the above ^^^ info may have came from Mr Chapman's police statement, because he also said this (from a different article) ....

The statement also reveals an acrimonious relationship between Mr Chapman and William’s foster nana, with whom he was staying when he went missing, with Mr Chapman describing her as a “boss cocky” in the village, and her husband as “henpecked.”

William Tyrrell disappearance: Ronald Chapman waited for a knock on the door
September 13, 2019

Last edited:
I think that the above ^^^ info may have came from Mr Chapman's police statement, because he also said this (from a different article) ....

The statement also reveals an acrimonious relationship between Mr Chapman and William’s foster nana, with whom he was staying when he went missing, with Mr Chapman describing her as a “boss cocky” in the village, and her husband as “henpecked.”

September 13, 2019
Surely, surely, surely that wouldn’t make him surly enough to not report a missing little boy. If so, he should be ashamed, but hopefully that wasn’t the case. IMO.

Surely, surely, surely that wouldn’t make him surly enough to not report a missing little boy. If so, he should be ashamed, but hopefully that wasn’t the case. IMO.

Who knows what was going on in his mind. But it sounds, by the questions asked, they were trying to flush that out.
And what it means to me is that any early opportunity to track down this vehicle and child was lost - since it was March 2015 before a 3rd party reported it to police, and it was January before Mr Chapman told the officer's SIL.

Detective Sergeant Beacroft asked him about the delay in coming forward with information about William, saying: “You heard on the news that police were going to talk to everyone within a one kilometre radius, and you thought you’d wait?”

“I was waiting for a knock on the door,” he replied.
“And was it always your intention to let the police know what you had seen?”
“Yes.”

He said he decided after several weeks or months — he couldn’t quite remember — to approach Kendall’s local police officer, Wendy Hudson, because he’s known her for decades, and “because the investigation sort of wasn’t going anywhere and I thought I might have seen something.” He left a message with her sister-in-law at the local club but it apparently wasn’t passed on.

Mr Chapman said he had never been in trouble with police.
“I’ve been driving for fifty-seven years, I think. From 1960, what’s that? Fifty-seven years? And I haven’t had a ticket. I haven’t lost a point,” he said.

September 13, 2019

The sad thing is that he told 12 different people about it, but not one of them went to the police. Maybe he has a strong personality and told them not to? I just can't figure it out.
It took a 3rd party who had heard it through the grapevine to go to the police.

The message somehow wasn’t passed on, but The Australian understands Mr Chapman told 12 other people, including his five sisters, what he had seen, and word did eventually make its way to police, who talked to him in 2015 and 2016 before taking a formal statement in April 2017.

August 29, 2019

The sad thing is that he told 12 different people about it, but not one of them went to the police. Maybe he has a strong personality and told them not to? I just can't figure it out.
It took a 3rd party who had heard it through the grapevine to go to the police.

The message somehow wasn’t passed on, but The Australian understands Mr Chapman told 12 other people, including his five sisters, what he had seen, and word did eventually make its way to police, who talked to him in 2015 and 2016 before taking a formal statement in April 2017.

August 29, 2019
Yes there’s something seriously wrong with the chain of communication there, SA. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts