Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are gold DOC.

This reminds me of my parents’ routine. Dad would sit with a cuppa or dither around with the radio loud enough to hear through the house while mum would fluff around while she got ready for church etc and both were deaf enough not to hear anything outside.

Maybe mum was happy to get out as dad would listen to the radio and then decide to turn on the tv to watch the morning news all at once. Maybe that’s what PS meant by she adapted. o_O

Makes me wonder how he heard a knock at the door.
Though Anne Maree Sharpley said she couldn't remember hearing a radio, so maybe he turned it off for the xray phone call and hadn't turned it back on.

In a sign of the level of detail the inquest is seeking, Mr Craddock asked Ms Sharpley if she recalled if he 'had the radio on playing loud' that day. She couldn't.
William Tyrrell: Widower Paul Savage attracts questions at coronial inquest | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Also from walkthru video interview with Det Beecroft

LB: Now from the time you came home from walk..........starts on roadway.........

LB: Did you see children?

PS: No

LB: Did you hear the children?

LB: As you walked along Benaroon drive , any cars not familiar to you ?

PS : No

LS: You said could see your front door open when you arrived home , did you see or hear anyone?

LB: Do you remember where H was when you got back?

LB: Indicated nothing planned that day

Than from Craddock...........

C: You didn't know that BIL was coming??

C: And H didn't know?

Back to video....

LB: Usually come inside & turn on radio ( Ray Hadley 2GB ) .

( ME : Radio is turned on at this stage & left playing thru out rest of interview, it is quite loud but you could easily hear questions asked by LB. Radio is in kitchen. You could also hear it when they went outside ( front & back ) but was faint in the background.)
PS spoke about H being on phone when he got back? & LB told him : I'll let you know now that there was no phone call between Lisa ( daughter ) & H. PS replied " Something H told me ".

LB: Knock on front door, was radio on?

PS: Yes, I think so

LB: Door was locked, opened door, AMS at door, told WT lost.......

LB: PS left front door open, screen door locked . Left via kitchen door, left radio on, house unlocked except for screen door.

PS went searching............

LB: Back home 11:30-11:45

I just can't understand how he heard nothing that morning, he was outside many times ( going for walk, having tea & toast, seeing H off ) he says never heard nothin' :rolleyes::rolleyes: no children playing, no one calling frantically for WT ..............I find it all VERY hard to believe ;)

Last edited:
Also from walkthru video interview with Det Beecroft

LB: Now from the time you came home from walk..........starts on roadway.........

LB: Did you see children?

LB: Did you hear the children?

LB: As you walked along Benaroon drive , any cars not familiar to you ?

LS: You said could see your front door open when you arrived home , did you see or hear anyone?

LB: Do you remember where H was when you got back?

LB: Indicated nothing planned that day

Than from Craddock...........

C: You didn't know that BIL was coming??

C: And H didn't know?

Back to video....

LB: Usually come inside & turn on radio ( Ray Hadley 2GB ) .

( ME : Radio is turned on at this stage & left playing thru out rest of interview, it is quite loud but you could easily hear questions asked by LB. Radio is in kitchen. You could also hear it when they went outside ( front & back ) but was faint in the background.)
PS spoke about H being on phone when he got back? & LB told him : I'll let you know now that there was no phone call between Lisa ( daughter ) & H. PS replied " Something H told me ".

LB: Knock on front door, was radio on?

PS: Yes, I think so

LB: Door was locked, opened door, AMS at door, told WT lost.......

LB: PS left front door open, screen door locked . Left via kitchen door, left radio on, house unlocked except for screen door.

PS went searching............

LB: Back home 11:30-11:45

Presumably the kitchen door is the door onto the back/side patio. With the front door being on the driveway side of the house.
Have been looking for a floor plan, but can't find one.
Though, I guess the kitchen could be at the back of the house. In more recent satellite pics there is some kind of structure that has been built off the back of the house. The house may have three external doors. imo

Sounds as if he talked to AMS at the front door, walked back through the house to the kitchen door and left that way.
I thought that when AMS said previously that she knocked at the door and he 'came out' that he left via the front door.
There evidently was some pause in between answering the door to AMS and leaving to search by himself.

Last edited:
I just can't understand how he heard nothing that morning, he was outside many times ( going for walk, having tea & toast, seeing H off ) he says never heard nothin' :rolleyes::rolleyes: no children playing, no one calling frantically for WT ..............I find it all VERY hard to believe ;)

It does seem highly unusual for a person who has seemed to have the pulse on what is going on in the neighbourhood.

A person who stalked postie, and who knew what cars were where at different times, knew the 'odd' person next door likely couldn't 'take the heat' of the investigation so he moved, noticed that William followed FD around, popped into FGM's via her back patio to find out what happened that morning ....

Last edited:
I wonder in what manner Savage stalked postie.

Stalking implies there was a fair degree of inappropriate/scary contact. Did he wait around outside for her, hence them having to pick up their mail from the post office? And how did he find out things she hadn't told him - did he ask around about her, drive past her house frequently, follow her on her postal route?

I wonder in what manner Savage stalked postie.

Stalking implies there was a fair degree of inappropriate/scary contact. Did he wait around outside for her, hence them having to pick up their mail from the post office? And how did he find out things she hadn't told him - did he ask around about her, drive past her house frequently, follow her on her postal route?
Perhaps he knew her from somewhere else, not just as the postie. Darts maybe? It's a small town so reasonable to assume the postie was a local and probably frequented some of the local social areas like clubs? And small towns love a bit of gossip so he could have picked up some interesting tidbit about her and confronted her about it.

Perhaps he knew her from somewhere else, not just as the postie. Darts maybe? It's a small town so reasonable to assume the postie was a local and probably frequented some of the local social areas like clubs? And small towns love a bit of gossip so he could have picked up some interesting tidbit about her and confronted her about it.
Or took a liking to her. Perhaps. IMO.

William Tyrrell neighbour spent hours on walk-through with police

Mr Craddock pointed out there was a discrepancy of about 75 minutes between Mr Savage’s recollection of what he did after searching the bush and returning home.

His brother-in-law, Greg Newton, had stated he had arrived in the street between 1.15pm and 1.30pm, whereas Mr Craddock timed Mr Savage’s sighting of Mr Newton at around midday.

Did he have his tea and toast before or after or in between his two phone calls to his brother Laurie? What did he talk to Laurie about? What did have on his toast?

The answers were that Mr Savage wasn’t sure, that he “had a yack … about ‘how are you goin’, goin’ alright … I’ll be up there at such and such a time’,” and “jam”.

On the morning in question, Mr Savage told the women detectives he was “pretty sure … I’d say she would be”, that his late wife Heather had sat outside with him and they heard children playing, but he could not say absolutely.

Pausing the video frequently during Thursday’s hearings, Counsel Assisting Gerard Craddock, QC, asked Mr Savage yet again if Heather had been outside with him during the tea and toast session.

“I can’t say. I don’t remember,” Mr Savage said.

And the thing is, if William is ever found relatively close by in the bush or in a dam, I wonder if it can ever be conclusively determined if he wandered there himself or if he was taken there. So much time has now passed.
It has occurred to me that it is possible William did wander and had an accident, say, drowned in someone's pool, discovered by the owners who did not have adequate fencing or had left the gate open - at fault in some way, anyway, and they panicked and covered up for it. It seems unlikely but there are so many unlikely scenarios and people who have not behaved how you think they would or should.

William Tyrrell neighbour spent hours on walk-through with police

Mr Craddock pointed out there was a discrepancy of about 75 minutes between Mr Savage’s recollection of what he did after searching the bush and returning home.

His brother-in-law, Greg Newton, had stated he had arrived in the street between 1.15pm and 1.30pm, whereas Mr Craddock timed Mr Savage’s sighting of Mr Newton at around midday.

Did he have his tea and toast before or after or in between his two phone calls to his brother Laurie? What did he talk to Laurie about? What did have on his toast?

The answers were that Mr Savage wasn’t sure, that he “had a yack … about ‘how are you goin’, goin’ alright … I’ll be up there at such and such a time’,” and “jam”.

On the morning in question, Mr Savage told the women detectives he was “pretty sure … I’d say she would be”, that his late wife Heather had sat outside with him and they heard children playing, but he could not say absolutely.

Pausing the video frequently during Thursday’s hearings, Counsel Assisting Gerard Craddock, QC, asked Mr Savage yet again if Heather had been outside with him during the tea and toast session.

“I can’t say. I don’t remember,” Mr Savage said.

BBM And yet he also told the inquest that she was inside getting dressed. IMO.

Can't believe a word he says. IMO.

There's an old saying that to be a good liar you have to have a good memory. Perhaps selective memory is a way around that. IMO.

Last edited:
Than the next day in PS's evidence in summing up the evidence from previous day

C: At 10:37 or 10:38 H left for bingo

PS: Approx yes

C: You were outside , you went to see her off

C: at 10:41 you made another call according to phone records, to a diagnostic x-ray place. Do you re-call that?

C: It was just a short call.

C: At 10:50 AMS comes to the door, tells you a little boy was missing

PS : Yes

C: You than went up to see FGM?

PS: Yes

C: You said you went to back verandah. Did you hear anything a making your way.....

PS: Not that I remember

C: Anyone calling out WT name?

PS: Not that I remember

C: Evidence we heard back in March this year, MFC got back @ 10:35, he was told WT was missing & took off searching, yelling out "William" & other witnesses saw hm running & calling out in a really frantic way, so you are saying you didn't hear any of that?

C: So you were out the back near little verandah ( at FGM house ) while you were there spoke to FFC you say & you didn't hear anybody calling out for William?

PS : No I didn't

C: When you left your house before you went to FGM's did you turn the radio off, lock house?

PS : No I went straight up, didn't lock house as BIL was arriving
Thank you, drsleuth!!

Just in terms of the radio: I'm really happy to see that the radio was usually tuned to the Ray Hadley show. (For people not familiar with it, it's a talk-back radio program from a Sydney station relayed to many other stations across the country - presumably live, so I imagine it would be easy enough for police to fix times from it if PS or his wife remembered hearing any part of the show in particular.)

drsleuth, would you be kind enough to check two things in post #356 please? BBM:

- "C: At 10:50 AMS comes to the door, tells you a little boy was missing"
Is "10:50" correct? It would mean that AMS called on PS six minutes before FFC called police.

- "C: So you were out the back near little verandah ( at FGM house ) while you were there spoke to FFC you say & you didn't hear anybody calling out for William?"
Did PS talk to William's foster mother or foster grandmother?

Thanks again for your posts, it's great to have so much new information!

The postie was about 40 years of age. It is a small town. Wonder if she may have been an ex family member.

Hey JLZ, I've not heard of this previously . What was going on between FGM & Willam at that time ?

possibly from this comment by fm...

At the end of day one, the foster mother came off the stand and was embraced by the foster father in court, but continued her testimony into day two.

She told the court Nanna had thought William too “hyperactive, boisterous” in his play immediately before he vanished.

Inside the William Tyrrell inquest
Inside the divided inquest into the three-year-old’s disappearance

Thank you, drsleuth!!

Just in terms of the radio: I'm really happy to see that the radio was usually tuned to the Ray Hadley show. (For people not familiar with it, it's a talk-back radio program from a Sydney station relayed to many other stations across the country - presumably live, so I imagine it would be easy enough for police to fix times from it if PS or his wife remembered hearing any part of the show in particular.)

drsleuth, would you be kind enough to check two things in post #356 please? BBM:

- "C: At 10:50 AMS comes to the door, tells you a little boy was missing"
Is "10:50" correct? It would mean that AMS called on PS six minutes before FFC called police.

- "C: So you were out the back near little verandah ( at FGM house ) while you were there spoke to FFC you say & you didn't hear anybody calling out for William?"
Did PS talk to William's foster mother or foster grandmother?

Thanks again for your posts, it's great to have so much new information!

Yes 10:50 for AMS knocking on door.

Sorry should have been spoke to FGM, thanks for picking that up!

possibly from this comment by fm...

At the end of day one, the foster mother came off the stand and was embraced by the foster father in court, but continued her testimony into day two.

She told the court Nanna had thought William too “hyperactive, boisterous” in his play immediately before he vanished.

Inside the William Tyrrell inquest
Inside the divided inquest into the three-year-old’s disappearance
Thank you, yes, I believe I've read a few little comments like that, nothing to the effect that she openly told him off, but I had the impression that FFC was working quite hard to manage the children's energies and her mother's nerves. And when FFC couldn't find William, didn't FGM say something like "oh, the little bugger"--as though of course William had run off through naughtiness.

Thanks also for mentioning MFC's support for FFC at the inquest. I was wondering about that.

To Warshawski: I'm sorry, I know I failed to answer something about a car you and also I think Deugirtni asked in the last thread. I read it in the early morning and then I had to go out and it was in some ways a disastrous day, took me a few days to come back and then we were on the next thread and I let it go.

Hi all, the Mama Mia podcast has an episode on William Tyrrell, was released 6th October. Just thought I would let you know if you are interested in listening (if it hasn't been mentioned on this thread already). It is an interview with a Journalist named Carloline Overington who has been investigating the disappearance.

I’m with you on these thoughts and yes I followed the disappearance of toddler Aisling Symes.

Police decided to dig up the drain after their investigations into the supposed abduction led them nowhere and local residents reported a drainage blockage.
Toddler's body lay in drain for a week while police searched
The similarities are chilling, initially police thought she had drowned and then decided abduction.
According to her mother this is how quickly she disappeared

Mrs Symes, who had been cleaning the house to prepare it for sale, said Aisling disappeared while she was inspecting the washing machine.

"I turned off the hot tap, looked behind me and there she was, watching what Caty and I were up to," a tearful Mrs Symes said.
"I turned off the cold tap, looked behind me, and she was gone -- that fast.

Hi all, the Mama Mia podcast has an episode on William Tyrrell, was released 6th October. Just thought I would let you know if you are interested in listening (if it hasn't been mentioned on this thread already). It is an interview with a Journalist named Carloline Overington who has been investigating the disappearance.

Thanks Ariona.

Here is the link for anyone who hasn't listened

https://www..au/podcasts/no-filter/

This is a good podcast ( I hadn't listened to it till now ) .

CO does a good job of describing Mr Chapmans situation & why people think he is credible despite not going to the police :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288