Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

GordianKnot

Former Member
Reaction score
Search continues for missing UP student Owen Klinger
owen-klinger-missing-university-of-portland-student-10082019.jpg

SABBM:
The 18-year-old lives on campus but his roommates called his parents on Monday to say he hadn’t returned after leaving around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

“His roommates called to let us know he was missing from the dorm and they alerted the hall director and Campus Safety office Monday morning,” his father, Dustin Klinger, said.

Earlier that day he stopped at a campus ATM and told his roommates he was headed to a lacrosse club team meeting.

'All we want is for Owen to come home': University of Portland student has been missing since Sunday
659dfc7f-6e39-4fd6-995c-6712a91f967a_750x422.jpg

SABBM:

"We had exchanges on Saturday night," said Mary Klinger. "Everything seemed fine with him."

Those who know Owen say it is unusual for him to go 24 hours without contacting anyone. Mary said Owen's phone has been off since Sunday evening.

"One of the things he said he was going to do Sunday night that he didn’t do – was go to lacrosse practice," said Mary. "He was a little evasive when he was talking to his roommates – that he was going to practice, but he didn’t have his gear, and they asked him about that and he said, 'Well it’s a lacrosse meeting.' And then he didn’t go to that."

This hits very close to home as one of my cousins is currently a student at UP and two others have attended. It honestly seems planned given the evasiveness with roommates and friends IMO.

Agreed, and I'm wondering about what he had in his backpack.

Extremely concerned for this young man's wellbeing.

Freshman year of college, especially when moving away from home, can be an extremely stressful time.

He's at a vulnerable age and life stage.

JMO.

Video of the KGW-TV Interview with OK's mom is on their station's FB page.

Missing student's mother seeks help in finding son

SABBM:
Klinger’s roommates were surprised when he did not return to the dorm Sunday.

“Usually if he’s out this late, he would tell us where he’s going,” Justin Tong, one of Klinger’s roommates in Christie said.

Austen Pellicano, Klinger’s other roommate, added that Klinger is usually back in their dorm room around 10 or 11 each night.

Tong said he saw and spoke with Klinger Sunday night near Dundon-Berchtold Hall. Tong said Klinger told him he needed to stop at the ATM by the bookstore. They walked towards the bookstore together before Tong went to Beauchamp.

Last edited:
Agreed, and I'm wondering about what he had in his backpack.

Extremely concerned for this young man's wellbeing.

Freshman year of college, especially when moving away from home, can be an extremely stressful time.

He's at a vulnerable age and life stage.

JMO.
I’m not super familiar with UP’s academic calendar but I do know many West Coast schools (Stanford, UCLA, UW etc) just started their school year two weeks ago. This makes me even more concerned.

My daughter is a UP grad. It's a beautiful campus. Freshman year can be really hard. He's from Portland so I wonder if any of his roommates are friends from high school. I hope he's just getting away to think things over.

Realize he reportedly didn't show up, but out of curiosity, was it ever confirmed if there was infact a Lacrosse meeting vs a practice?

I've been wondering the same thing, there have been a couple mentions of it, but nothing particularly "official"

I'll link what I found below.

Quote 1:

Owen reportedly told his roommates he was going to a lacrosse meeting, but never showed up at the event

Owen Klinger Disappears in Oregon

Quote 2:

Owen told his dorm roommates he was leaving for a lacrosse team meeting around 7:30 p.m. Sunday night, but Owen never showed up at the gathering.

Police, Family Search for missing student

Updated 4 hours ago:

Family, friends expand search for missing University of Portland student

They [family and friends] are still concentrating their search in north Portland, but handing out flyers elsewhere too.

"Out on the west side by the transit center at Sunset. Friends that are going out to Troutdale at the truck stops and maybe out to the Bridge of the Gods," said Mary.

Anyone who sees Owen or know where he may be, is asked to call 911 immediately. The family has also set up a special email to help them in the search: findowenk@gmail.com.

I just read in the Portland Tribune that his mother said he was seen by the Tri Met bus stop but didn’t get on the bus. I’m sure the Police have checked neighbors security cameras in the area. If someone was picking someone up in a car, the Tri Met stop would be an easy place to meet up.

I hope it's a case of someone purposefully hiding - we had that Houston-area student a few years ago who was later discovered in California. I'd much rather that than someone being a victim or a suicide. Without life experience, some students who fail a midterm or are homesick do rash things, unable to put their "failure" in perspective. I truly wish campuses would put popups with counselors waiting all over campus when midterms and finals are happening.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back