IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
upload_2019-10-9_0-17-36.jpeg
A 9-year-old child accused of causing a mobile home fire that killed three children and two adults in central Illinois has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder.

The juvenile also was charged with two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, the (Peoria) Journal Star reported.

The April 6 fire killed a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman at the Timberline Mobile Home Park near the village of Goodfield, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.

No child as young as this one has been accused in a mass killing since at least 2006, according to the AP/USATODAY/Northeastern University mass murder database. It tracks all U.S. homicides since then in which four or more people were killed (not including the offender) over a short period of time (24 hours), regardless of weapon, location, victim-offender relationship or motive.

<modsnip: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule>

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-9_0-13-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-9_0-13-20.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

Well, this part:

"Nine-year-olds don't know that Santa Claus doesn't exist. They don't know people die and don't come back to life," he said.

Is nonsense IMO. By 9 most kids are very aware Santa doesn't exist and most know people don't comeback from the dead, at that age. Except the infellectually disabled.

But the charges might be the only way to ensure the kid gets intensive care. I don't know. They said he can only be sentenced to probation? Nothing more?

He needs to be placed a hospital and stay there for several years, IMO. To get where he did means he's got some deep issues.

I don't think kids that age typically kill parents unless there's some heavy abuse happening.

Well, this part:

"Nine-year-olds don't know that Santa Claus doesn't exist. They don't know people die and don't come back to life," he said.

Is nonsense IMO. By 9 most kids are very aware Santa doesn't exist and most know people don't comeback from the dead, at that age. Except the infellectually disabled.

But the charges might be the only way to ensure the kid gets intensive care. I don't know. They said he can only be sentenced to probation? Nothing more?

He needs to be placed a hospital and stay there for several years, IMO. To get where he did means he's got some deep issues.

I don't think kids that age typically kill parents unless there's some heavy abuse happening.

I agree with you about that Santa statement---I don't know any 9 yr olds who believe Santa is real. Most 5 and 6y yr olds begin to figure it out, when they begin asking 'h0w does that work that he goes to every kid's house in one night?' :rolleyes:

And most 9 yr olds know that people die and it is final, in whatever way they can process it.

I do believe, that if this 9 yr old set that trailer home on fire, knowing those people were inside, he knew they were going to burn up. JMO

As to the abuse question, that might be true. But why kill the 2 toddlers and the 1 yr old?

“Probation, given the age, is about the only outcome that could happen here,” he said.

The suspect will be appointed an attorney and will be tried before a judge. Under Illinois law, a suspect younger than 10 cannot be detained. And a minor is not given a public jury trial and not entitled to one unless the minor is charged as an adult.

I agree with you about that Santa statement---I don't know any 9 yr olds who believe Santa is real. Most 5 and 6y yr olds begin to figure it out, when they begin asking 'h0w does that work that he goes to every kid's house in one night?' :rolleyes:

And most 9 yr olds know that people die and it is final, in whatever way they can process it.

I do believe, that if this 9 yr old set that trailer home on fire, knowing those people were inside, he knew they were going to burn up. JMO

As to the abuse question, that might be true. But why kill the 2 toddlers and the 1 yr old?
If it were an arson, it doesn't discriminate who it kills. If toddlers couldn't escaped or be rescued, they ended up dead.

How was this fire started? Does anyone know the details of it? It might even be posted somewhere and with the horror of the details I might have over looked them. Just to give an understanding of how a 9 year old thinks... I was molested for years by my own grandfather. When I turned 10 I started blackmailing him in to leaving me alone. I told him if he touched me again I would tell. That's all I'll say about that but from that I thought it was finished with and things would be alright. My thinking as that 10 year old was not even as an adult but as a child who didn't realize the had just increased 100 fold.

This child does not have the ability to think like an adult. I have a real hard time believing he even has the capability to think like a 14 year old yet.

These are just my own opinions.

How was this fire started? Does anyone know the details of it? It might even be posted somewhere and with the horror of the details I might have over looked them. Just to give an understanding of how a 9 year old thinks... I was molested for years by my own grandfather. When I turned 10 I started blackmailing him in to leaving me alone. I told him if he touched me again I would tell. That's all I'll say about that but from that I thought it was finished with and things would be alright. My thinking as that 10 year old was not even as an adult but as a child who didn't realize the had just increased 100 fold.

This child does not have the ability to think like an adult. I have a real hard time believing he even has the capability to think like a 14 year old yet.

I am not going to cry over him. Sounds like nothing serious can happen to him because if his tender age anyway. Even with the charges.

He needs help. Serious help for years more than likely. My next thoughts are were there signs? If he purposely killed 5 people how could teachers and family members not seen signs of something? It a horror all the way around.
In his state all they can do is parole?

Woodford County Coroner Tim Ruestman said Sunday morning that first responders were notified of the fire at 11:19 p.m. Saturday at 14 Cypress Court in the Timberline Trailer Court just north of Goodfield.

Pronounced dead at the scene at 11:55 p.m. were Kathryn Murray, 69, Jason Wall, 34, Rose Alwood, 2, Damien Wall, 2, and 1-year-old Ariel Wall.

Two other residents, Katrina Alwood and her 9-year-old son, Kyle, were treated and released at a Peoria hospital. Katrina Alwood is Jason Wall’s fiance. Ariel Wall and Damien Wall were Katrina Alwood and Jason Wall’s children, according to Ruestman.

“We were asleep and my son heard the explosions and came and woke us up as he was calling 911,” said a neighbor, Anna Marie Siebert. “My husband and son shot over to see if they could get anyone out. I came over to try and help keep the family back up and away and that’s hard to do because they don’t want to leave.”

“He looked outside and saw the flames coming out. His first response was to call 911 and get us up,” she said. “It was just a fireball when we got over here. Flames were shooting out from the center of the home and from this end and there was quite a bit of screaming and crying.

“I got a call about the fire and that I needed to get over here,” he said. “I didn’t realize the extent until I came around the corner and saw the flames coming out. The living room area was fully engulfed. When I ran around to the back side, it was even worse. At least three-quarters of the trailer was on fire and I could feel the heat.”

He said a family member of the residents in the trailer lived nearby and was trying to get inside to save them, but was unable to because of the intense heat.

“He was extremely upset and his face was really smokey,” said Johnson.
More@'Bless their hearts:' 3 children, 2 adults killed in Goodfield mobile home fire

“He’s going to need some way to cope with that,” she said. “I don’t think he understands what he’s really done.”

“You know what I mean?” Could you imagine a child doing that? He’s gonna need it for a long time and I think that he should be followed well into his 30s or 40s you know? He should be on probation for a long time for this. It shouldn’t just be until he’s 18.”

Just weeks after the fire, Woodford County Coroner Tim Ruestman issued his findings, which ruled the deaths as homicides. The official cause of death the coroner reported was homicide by smoke inhalation.

At about 11:15 a.m. Saturday, April 6, residents could see flames coming from the engulfed trailer. At 11:55 p.m., Coroner Ruestman pronounced the five inside dead.

The suspect, if convicted, could be put on probation for at least five years, but not beyond the age of 21, according to the state’s attorney. Prison time is not an option.
9 year old to be charged with murder in Goodfield fire that left five dead

“It just went up so fast,” she said. “It was total chaos.

“It was absolutely heart-wrenching, because you could hear the screams, and then, you didn’t hear all the screams anymore.”

“The preliminary causes of death have been determined,” Ruestman said. “But we are not going to release that information at this time. The investigation is continuing.”

Asked to confirm the causes of death were all fire-related, Ruestman did say “yes, all fire-related.”

Katrina Alwood and Kyle Alwood were transported to OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria and were treated and released. Their ages weren’t available.

Katrina Alwood is Kyle Alwood’s mother, Ruestman said during an interview. Jason Wall was Katrina Alwood’s fiance.

Ariel Wall and Damien Wall were Katrina Alwood and Jason Wall’s children, according to Ruestman. Rose Alwood was a niece. Murray was Katrina Alwood’s grandmother.

Mobile home 'inferno' kills five, including three children

Last edited:

❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members