GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is on Team Wendi, as is Jason Solomon. I am very skeptical of their arguments, but they are no dummies generally. Lat's Twitter today is very complimentary of KM's testimony in terms of her demeanor, deference, etc. He seems to think that the play (ploy?) here is to gin up sympathy with the jury by making her seem like a demure Filipina who could never have done something this terrible. And to be clear about Lat's POV, he is Filipino-American and a former federal prosecutor, so he has a reasonable amount of insight on such things. Again, I'm not convinced of his view and I'd have to see the testimony in person to have a strong opinion about it.

As for KM's testimony, I do think that having her take the stand and firmly state her innocence may have a positive effect on the jury. Her problem is all the other evidence to the contrary. In their rebuttal case and closing statements, the state will need to very very carefully lay out for the jury how her gauzy story of innocence is contradicted by the factual record. In fact, that might be a good roadmap for the summation. State could say, "KM said X, but here's facts 1, 2, and 3 contradicting that. KM also said Y, but here's facts 4, 5, and 6 contradicting that...." To make sure the jury is not swayed by KM's professions of innocence.
She's in a win win situation. Acquittal or a deal if she is found guilty. She's rolling the dice on an acquittal or mistrial. The problem with a deal is that she has to give up the high hanging fruit and she already knows what degree of retribution and venom resides in their twisted minds. SG/LR didn't happen to take a hike to Tallahassee and basically affirm every motion WA's Attorneys submitted to the Court during her divorce proceedings and coincidentally have $35,000 each fall into their pockets when they arrived back in the Miami area. If she is acquitted. The statement: "The only law is the law that there is no law." is alive and well. The Feds can always charge her on money laundering charges or failure to disclose to the IRS if she gets sprung and then deport her back to the Philippines where she and her devious thinking originated. IMO.

Last edited:
Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 1h1 hour ago
Magbanua testified for more than four hours, defense has just rested its case @WCTV

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 9m9 minutes ago
The state has called its final rebuttal witness. Looks like testimony is a wrap @WCTV

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 8m8 minutes ago
The state has concluded their rebuttal. Judge Hankinson says he now has to meet with the attorneys before closing arguments. That'll be first thing in the morning. Hankinson tells the jurors to pack a bag for overnight stay. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 7m7 minutes ago
Closing arguments in the Dan Markel murder case will begin Thursday morning, jury deliberations to follow later in the day @WCTV

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 6m6 minutes ago
One juror asked about if they should pack expect to still be deliberating into the weekend. Judge Hankinson says he doesn't believe it'll take the that long if they start deliberating tomorrow afternoon. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 2m2 minutes ago
That’s it for testimony in the trial of two people charged with Dan Markel’s murder. We’ll have closing arguments and deliberations beginning tomorrow

judge answering that unlikely they would need to deliberate that long, feels to me he is thinking "couldn't you tell these two are guilty beyond reasonable doubt already from all you heard"?!

Judge is like 'why do we need to even have a trial on this case?' lol

Zengeneh is just hovering over KM's attorneys. Why doesn't he have his own copy of the instructions? Judge told him he can get him a copy and he denied it. He strikes me as one of those restless types of people. lol

What about the “innocent until proven guilty” assumption? Most comments seem to assume that Katherine Magbanua were already convicted!

I am sorry for the victim and the Markel family and friends but Katherine Magbanua is a courageous woman. She makes mistake asking GC questions. However, her being in the witness stand draws a totally different picture! She has some “acknowledgement” of her lack of education; and, combined with her gentle attitude, it may spruce up her stake with the Tallahassee people.

Albeit remote, there is a possibility for Katherine Magbanua walking free because she is “innocent until proven guilty”! If the assumed conduit between the commanditaires and the executors walks free, the entire case might fall apart. As bad as it may seem, armchair lawyers and prosecutor wannabes, be thou ware that Katherine Magbanua may come free. That is my take thus far into her testimony.

She has a college degree, from UCF which she stated earlier in her testimony. She certainly does not seem that educated. What a shame she never found any decent job to support her and or her family.

The Feds can always charge her on money laundering charges or failure to disclose to the IRS if she gets sprung and then deport her back to the Philippines where she and her devious thinking originated. IMO.

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that KM was not born in the U.S. or a naturalized citizen. If she is a citizen, she cannot be deported. If she is eligible for deportation, then that would be her motive for refusing to flip. Her children are U.S. citizens, and she would not want to be separated from them.

Given that her attorneys begged her to take the plea, she is almost certainly not subject to deportation. They would need to advise her of that consequence if she were.

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that KM was not born in the U.S. or a naturalized citizen. If she is a citizen, she cannot be deported. If she is eligible for deportation, then that would be her motive for refusing to flip. Her children are U.S. citizens, and she would not want to be separated from them.

Given that her attorneys begged her to take the plea, she is almost certainly not subject to deportation. They would need to advise her of that consequence if she were.

What's your theory as to why she's not flipping? If you feel up to sharing.

She stated today her mom brought her here when she was 7, but that's all the details we have.

I think KM is a criminal (even before the conspiring to murder charge). She’s already proven that by not filing taxes and being paid under the table (both illegal). She also tried to commit insurance fraud. I think she thinks she can work the system and beat the system. I think that’s why she’s not flipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2