IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing she never explained how a seventeen year old could fake being five. Anyone who's spent time around both of those ages would know how impossible that is.

I only got about 20 minutes into the mom's video but she was pretty damn convincing. She said a detective approached them about Natalia and that he had evidence that she wasn't who she was claiming to be, that he was in contact with Homeland Security. He took measurements of Natalia's face and that further medical testing was done that proved she was older.

She also claimed that the aging up was instigated and carried out by Natialia's social workers/health team, not her. Mom gave very specific details about how she tried to help Natalia, but because she was now an adult, she could refuse treatment.

Obviously all one sided, but it was compelling.

I only got about 20 minutes into the mom's video but she was pretty damn convincing. She said a detective approached them about Natalia and that he had evidence that she wasn't who she was claiming to be, that he was in contact with Homeland Security. He took measurements of Natalia's face and that further medical testing was done that proved she was older.

She also claimed that the aging up was instigated and carried out by Natialia's social workers/health team, not her. Mom gave very specific details about how she tried to help Natalia, but because she was now an adult, she could refuse treatment.

I agree, Filled in many gaps & answered lots of timeline questions

I saw the video. I was shocked her attorney would allow her to do a live like that. I think it will be very interesting to see how this plays out in court. I think Kristine truly believed ng was an adult.

Adoptive mother also made a point of calling out the “new family” and their knowledge & motivations.

I felt they were collectors of disrupted adoptions - neither parent works - they collect the government benefits

THe Mann’s were told to not have contact with Natalia

They’ve had the child since 2013. So is Natalia the scammer using them or are they the scammers using her for whatever small amount of disability she may receive?

I don’t think it can be both.

Also, how do you know they don’t work, collect government benefits for failed adoptions or were told not to have contact with Natalia. And by who?

Can you link to that info? Or is it just rumor?

A child coming here at age five would learn English and easily lose any accent within months. Watching various gotcha videos shows me that. Experience with kids who immigrated here also shows that, unless they remain immersed in a culture that maintains their language of origin.

You mean, like wholly unaccented and perfectly colloquial Mila Kunis, who emigrated from the Ukraine at age 7 (BBM)?

https://www.biography.com/actor/mila-kunis

Despite all of her success, Kunis, who didn't know a word of English when she first arrived in the United States, says she hasn't forgotten her roots. She lives in Los Angeles, not far from her parents, and when she visits, often speaks Russian with them.

If Natalia had had Russian speakers to practice with in the U.S. also, she might not have forgotten her Russian. Nothing that I've read so far indicated that she did get that chance.

She said a detective approached them about Natalia and that he had evidence that she wasn't who she was claiming to be, that he was in contact with Homeland Security.

BBM, what's convincing about this alleged detective's invoking the government? That all sounds rather silly to me. Homeland Security is allegedly worried about a girl who's been in the United States for a dozen years, has no money to go anywhere or do anything - are we supposed to believe "Homeland Security" is on her trail because it thinks Natalia is, what, a spy?

Willing to admit I'm no student of government, thus happy to be corrected on the purpose of DHS in this country; but still, I don't find any of that rings true. It rather more sounds to me like Kristine should switch to writing novels; and in the interest of practicality, we know she wouldn't be the first "nonfiction" writer to get called out for embroidery, embellishing, or just plain making things up (James Frey, Augusten Burroughs, Rigoberta Menchu, others linked below)?

Five Big Fat Literary Fakes

IMO, MOO, but I find the inclusion of the DHS in KB's story to be laughable. Aim lower than a shadowy conspiracy topped off with invocation of the federal government, lady! SMH...

She’s told very compelling stories previous to this. How she single-handedly cured her son of autism through her tireless devotion, never sleeping while providing her severely disabled son with constant intervention/therapy/care, keeping vigil on her younger son who she claimed had some life threatening illness, opening some sort of center for boys with autism and running an in-home daycare.

She sounds like a liar to me. But she was so compelling with her heroic tale of curing her boy genius she was on tv numerous times. Tons of interviews. A book. Etc.

So homeland security is investigating Natalia but in the meantime other LE stupidly decide to charge her parents after investigating for five years?

She’s told very compelling stories previous to this. How she single-handedly cured her son of autism through her tireless devotion, never sleeping while providing her severely disabled son with constant intervention/therapy/care, keeping vigil on her younger son who she claimed had some life threatening illness, opening some sort of center for boys with autism and running an in-home daycare.

She sounds like a liar to me. But she was so compelling with her heroic tale of curing her boy genius she was on tv numerous times. Tons of interviews. A book. Etc.

So homeland security is investigating Natalia but in the meantime other LE stupidly decide to charge her parents after investigating for five years?

Could this investigation ruin Natalia's life?

You are simply mistaken:

"Then, in July 2013, the couple set the girl up in an apartment in Tippecanoe County and moved to Canada with their two sons."

In June 2010, a doctor estimated her age at 8, but an evaluation in June 2012 showed the girl was about 11 years old, court documents said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-is-actually-a-scam-artist-with-dwarfism/amp/

She would have been about 12 in 2013 when they left her. Not 9.

Here's an alternate source for that info if you don't like that link:

Parents accused of abandoning adopted child in apartment; mom says it’s a ‘scam’

They moved to Canada in July, that does not mean that she was set up in the apartment at that time, that almost certainly would have been done well before they left. My guess is that it was done as soon as the court declared her an adult, which was in 2012. If they had her declared an adult, and considered her a threat, they would have removed her from their house as soon as the court order was issued, but with some provision for her immediate needs.

According to the orphanage they received her in October 2003, and according to the woman claiming to be her mother she was born a month before. That makes her 9 at the time she was living by herself in the US. That is assuming these claims are correct. The orphanage showed the reporter an admission document but would not let them photograph it. I wonder why. As to when the girl was born, we don't really know that, only what the mother claimed. For all we know the girl could be her sister, not her daughter. The 90s and early 2000s was a time of economic and social chaos in most of the former soviet union countries, all sorts of things could have happened. Corruption was rampant and laws poorly implemented. Maybe they pulled some sort of a scam to get rid of the girl, dumped her at the orphanage, who then dumped her on some naïve Americans. There seems to be a lot of that going on in her life and you would have to think that there is a reason for that.

Courts don't turn a 9 year old into a 22 year old based on a letter. It would have taken much more than that, certainly the judge would have asked a lot of questions and got social services to get an independent answer, because that is a pretty unusual request. Evidently the judge was satisfied that she was an adult. You have not wondered why?

Could this investigation ruin Natalia's life?

I don’t believe Homeland Security was actually investigating Natalia. I think the mother is a liar. It sounds far fetched. Most of what she has said does.

Most reviews were flowing and effusive in their praise of the mother’s book. Here are some reviews of her book from before this whole thing with Natalia happened that sparked my interest when this story broke and I went digging:

More about the mother than the son
It was hard to get past the feeling that the mother is a major egomaniac. The book felt like it was mostly about her, not her son. Much of it felt impossible. Time frames etc. I really find myself not caring at all after finishing it.

just an interesting story
I was hoping this book would help me with my autistic child, since the author is a mom of an autistic child just like me and not
a psychologist or counselor.
But no, she has very good points like to find out what is you child's passion and to always advocate for him
Basically her autistic child is not like most. He is a genius and she is a super mom with a super husband it was hard to
believe at times all his support. As a book is very interesting but a little unrealistic and like I said if what you are looking for
is a book about support from a parent experiencing what we really go thru with having an autistic kid you won't find it here.

Ughh just ughhhhh
The writing isn’t great but I’m willing to overlook that except she’s so boastful and braggy. I don’t think i can finish the book

Tedious
The always-right mother tells us how to raise our kids while she lauds her son's accomplishments. It was too much for me.

I would love to read the true story
We all love miracle - success stories but this is too much. It would have been very interesting to know the true story. (I read about a third of a book - really not one meltdown of an autistic kid?).

I can't finish this book
I am about 75 pages into this book and I have to stop reading it. I am literally becoming ill from the ridiculous super-woman theme that is ratcheting up further with each subsequent page. Having had a child with Down Syndrome who lived to 14 months of age with a sever seizure disorder (infantile spasms), I know what life is like when days are filled with unfruitful therapy sessions and a child who is in pain and has lost all her emotions. I simply do not believe this mom could have given Jake the type of attention she says she gave him, researched her son's condition to the extent she did, plus cared for her severely ill infant Wesley, plus ran a daycare from her home. The hours do not exist in the day to do what she says she did. What clinched it for me is that she claims she stayed up transcribing a story one of her 8-year-old daycare charges told her that she recorded on her cell phone, took the time to print it out and bind it into a volume, and give it to the child, and then every day found a new picture for the child to create a story from. When could this have happened? She was already not sleeping a wink because she had to stay by Wesley's bedside because of his breathing issues and because she was reading all kinds of textbooks and articles about autism that were strewn about her bedroom. The pace that she claims to have kept up would have resulted in a breakdown of her own health and/or mind. But instead she says she took on creating a "night school" for autistic kids in the community. As another reviewer has said, the fact that her son navigated them through downtown Chicago because he had memorized an atlas of the United States when he was not yet four, but he still wasn't talking--it's not ringing true. I feel a fair amount of license has been taken with this story to make it sound perfect and impressive--and we're never allowed to forget just how brilliant and superior her son is to all those "typical" kids out there. Not only that, she keeps finding ways to throw in how brilliant her family of origin was, with her wealthy inventor grandfather and artistically precocious sister. There is a performance orientation here that I've spent many years trying to break free from, and I am recoiling at the pride and perfectionism I'm picking up from this book. I can't read any more of this.

BBM

Here's the thing
[SNIPPED]

Here's what I didn't like.

There's a lot of problems with the time line in addressing the actual amount of time he "had autism". It sounds like maybe a year total, at most. Her son was diagnosed (informally by the birth to three system) at age two some time. Her turned three before the summer, started special ed preschool in september, then she took him out around age 3.5. So he went to special ed it sounds like for a few months. At 3.5 she says, or just after he stopped preschool, he was using words, not conversationally though, and one example was him directing them through a urban downtown area by looking at a map or something. So words at 3.5. At this point he also knows how to read. Then- before he is four, she tells him about a mars special at an observatory, he "nags and pesters her" until the day comes (which requires language and interaction), then by the time they get to the observatory, again, before he is four, because they mention he is three, he is having lengthy conversation about mass and mars and planets and rotation with the lecturer in complete sentences.

I don't really have a problem with his development, because its interesting and part of his story. I don't love though that she seems to take credit for his recovery and play up her "muchness" paradigm which seemed to have him virtually not autistic in just a few months. I buy that this happened, but I think it probably would have happened with or without her in his case, and I don't love that there is so much hype about her sacrifices and awesome parenting. I practice muchness with my autistic son all the time...and I think it is good for everyone, but I don't think you can attribute a turnaround of that magnitude within 1-5 months as being solely based on play therapy. I don't love the school system either, and may not send my son, but to be fair, he only went for a few months and that results in a lot of special ed bashing in their publicity and in the book. I agree that special ed sucks in this country. But...just saying.

Too- and I know people are going to freak out. It doesn't seem to me like this kid was ever really accurately diagnosed with severe autism. I don't think the book makes the claim that he had severe autism...maybe it does, but I know I heard them claim that in an interview about the book. My son had autism, now PDD NOS and talks and interacts less than this kid seemed to at the same age. It sounds to me like this kid had a speech/developmental delay and some autistic (eccentric?) features.

Then this kid- who has all these talents is doing all these interviews all the time, and it just comes across more as a ploy for book sales than....you know...passion for science all the time always.

Its an interesting story. I dunno. I just felt bull s-worded a little after reading it.

Self serving book -can I get my money back??
This seems to be a very self serving book. Kristine never leaves a chance to brag about her self & some about her child. Her kid was way too high functioning, if at all autistic. I hardly think it was any of her doing that helped the child. I didn't get any inspiration or ideas from this book to help my brilliant yet autistic child. Her situation was totally different from what a general family with an autistic child faces. Sorry, I hate to bash this book up.

Two Stars
Sorry but I just dont believe her, not everything of course but most of it is bulls***!

The reviews like this go on an on. The ones who rave about the book far out number the ones who didn’t. But in light of this story, the bad reviews are quite interesting.

I think Kristine Barrett is a liar and a good actress.

Yeah there is. The state of care for disabled "orphans" in the Ukraine is well documented. It's a national problem.

"Children in institutions in Ukraine are exposed to physical and sexual violence and live in danger of being trafficked for sex, labor, and *advertiser censored*, the report said. The organization’s president, Laurie Ahern, said children with disabilities often are the worst abused and most languish in institutions their entire lives."
Ukraine’s disabled children in dire straits, group says - The Boston Globe

Social services are underfunded and understaffed. In some places abuses happen. That doesn't mean that abuse happens everywhere. You only see the shocking places on TV or in documentaries, because the purpose of those shows specifically is to shock you for the entertainment value. Or to solicit donations from you. They don't show you the places were the staff are doing their job, because that does not produce the effect they want from you.

They moved to Canada in July, that does not mean that she was set up in the apartment at that time, that almost certainly would have been done well before they left. My guess is that it was done as soon as the court declared her an adult, which was in 2012. If they had her declared an adult, and considered her a threat, they would have removed her from their house as soon as the court order was issued, but with some provision for her immediate needs.

According to the orphanage they received her in October 2003, and according to the woman claiming to be her mother she was born a month before. That makes her 9 at the time she was living by herself in the US. That is assuming these claims are correct. The orphanage showed the reporter an admission document but would not let them photograph it. I wonder why. As to when the girl was born, we don't really know that, only what the mother claimed. For all we know the girl could be her sister, not her daughter. The 90s and early 2000s was a time of economic and social chaos in most of the former soviet union countries, all sorts of things could have happened. Corruption was rampant and laws poorly implemented. Maybe they pulled some sort of a scam to get rid of the girl, dumped her at the orphanage, who then dumped her on some naïve Americans. There seems to be a lot of that going on in her life and you would have to think that there is a reason for that.

Courts don't turn a 9 year old into a 22 year old based on a letter. It would have taken much more than that, certainly the judge would have asked a lot of questions and got social services to get an independent answer, because that is a pretty unusual request. Evidently the judge was satisfied that she was an adult. You have not wondered why?

I think some of the paperwork is questionable that was used to make her an adult. This family had resources the mom wrote a book on parenting. I don't see why they wouldn't take her to court or challenge the adoption agency if they thought she was truly scamming them.

I don’t believe Homeland Security was actually investigating Natalia. I think the mother is a liar. It sounds far fetched. Most of what she has said does.

Most reviews were flowing and effusive in their praise of the mother’s book. Here are some reviews of her book from before this whole thing with Natalia happened that sparked my interest when this story broke and I went digging:

More about the mother than the son
It was hard to get past the feeling that the mother is a major egomaniac. The book felt like it was mostly about her, not her son. Much of it felt impossible. Time frames etc. I really find myself not caring at all after finishing it.

just an interesting story
I was hoping this book would help me with my autistic child, since the author is a mom of an autistic child just like me and not
a psychologist or counselor.
But no, she has very good points like to find out what is you child's passion and to always advocate for him
Basically her autistic child is not like most. He is a genius and she is a super mom with a super husband it was hard to
believe at times all his support. As a book is very interesting but a little unrealistic and like I said if what you are looking for
is a book about support from a parent experiencing what we really go thru with having an autistic kid you won't find it here.

Ughh just ughhhhh
The writing isn’t great but I’m willing to overlook that except she’s so boastful and braggy. I don’t think i can finish the book

Tedious
The always-right mother tells us how to raise our kids while she lauds her son's accomplishments. It was too much for me.

I would love to read the true story
We all love miracle - success stories but this is too much. It would have been very interesting to know the true story. (I read about a third of a book - really not one meltdown of an autistic kid?).

I can't finish this book
I am about 75 pages into this book and I have to stop reading it. I am literally becoming ill from the ridiculous super-woman theme that is ratcheting up further with each subsequent page. Having had a child with Down Syndrome who lived to 14 months of age with a sever seizure disorder (infantile spasms), I know what life is like when days are filled with unfruitful therapy sessions and a child who is in pain and has lost all her emotions. I simply do not believe this mom could have given Jake the type of attention she says she gave him, researched her son's condition to the extent she did, plus cared for her severely ill infant Wesley, plus ran a daycare from her home. The hours do not exist in the day to do what she says she did. What clinched it for me is that she claims she stayed up transcribing a story one of her 8-year-old daycare charges told her that she recorded on her cell phone, took the time to print it out and bind it into a volume, and give it to the child, and then every day found a new picture for the child to create a story from. When could this have happened? She was already not sleeping a wink because she had to stay by Wesley's bedside because of his breathing issues and because she was reading all kinds of textbooks and articles about autism that were strewn about her bedroom. The pace that she claims to have kept up would have resulted in a breakdown of her own health and/or mind. But instead she says she took on creating a "night school" for autistic kids in the community. As another reviewer has said, the fact that her son navigated them through downtown Chicago because he had memorized an atlas of the United States when he was not yet four, but he still wasn't talking--it's not ringing true. I feel a fair amount of license has been taken with this story to make it sound perfect and impressive--and we're never allowed to forget just how brilliant and superior her son is to all those "typical" kids out there. Not only that, she keeps finding ways to throw in how brilliant her family of origin was, with her wealthy inventor grandfather and artistically precocious sister. There is a performance orientation here that I've spent many years trying to break free from, and I am recoiling at the pride and perfectionism I'm picking up from this book. I can't read any more of this.

BBM

Here's the thing
[SNIPPED]

Here's what I didn't like.

There's a lot of problems with the time line in addressing the actual amount of time he "had autism". It sounds like maybe a year total, at most. Her son was diagnosed (informally by the birth to three system) at age two some time. Her turned three before the summer, started special ed preschool in september, then she took him out around age 3.5. So he went to special ed it sounds like for a few months. At 3.5 she says, or just after he stopped preschool, he was using words, not conversationally though, and one example was him directing them through a urban downtown area by looking at a map or something. So words at 3.5. At this point he also knows how to read. Then- before he is four, she tells him about a mars special at an observatory, he "nags and pesters her" until the day comes (which requires language and interaction), then by the time they get to the observatory, again, before he is four, because they mention he is three, he is having lengthy conversation about mass and mars and planets and rotation with the lecturer in complete sentences.

I don't really have a problem with his development, because its interesting and part of his story. I don't love though that she seems to take credit for his recovery and play up her "muchness" paradigm which seemed to have him virtually not autistic in just a few months. I buy that this happened, but I think it probably would have happened with or without her in his case, and I don't love that there is so much hype about her sacrifices and awesome parenting. I practice muchness with my autistic son all the time...and I think it is good for everyone, but I don't think you can attribute a turnaround of that magnitude within 1-5 months as being solely based on play therapy. I don't love the school system either, and may not send my son, but to be fair, he only went for a few months and that results in a lot of special ed bashing in their publicity and in the book. I agree that special ed sucks in this country. But...just saying.

Too- and I know people are going to freak out. It doesn't seem to me like this kid was ever really accurately diagnosed with severe autism. I don't think the book makes the claim that he had severe autism...maybe it does, but I know I heard them claim that in an interview about the book. My son had autism, now PDD NOS and talks and interacts less than this kid seemed to at the same age. It sounds to me like this kid had a speech/developmental delay and some autistic (eccentric?) features.

Then this kid- who has all these talents is doing all these interviews all the time, and it just comes across more as a ploy for book sales than....you know...passion for science all the time always.

Its an interesting story. I dunno. I just felt bull s-worded a little after reading it.

Self serving book -can I get my money back??
This seems to be a very self serving book. Kristine never leaves a chance to brag about her self & some about her child. Her kid was way too high functioning, if at all autistic. I hardly think it was any of her doing that helped the child. I didn't get any inspiration or ideas from this book to help my brilliant yet autistic child. Her situation was totally different from what a general family with an autistic child faces. Sorry, I hate to bash this book up.

Two Stars
Sorry but I just dont believe her, not everything of course but most of it is bulls***!

The reviews like this go on an on. The ones who rave about the book far out number the ones who didn’t. But in light of this story, the bad reviews are quite interesting.

I think Kristine Barrett is a liar and a good actress.

Did Natalia not play along with the Kristine Barnett's version of reality?

Can anyone really believe that an adult, even one with dwarfism, could convincingly fake as a five year old? If the changed age is accurate, she would have been sixteen then.

It is probably pretty easy if you have one of the more extreme forms. Dwarfism itself distorts the body, so what we consider normal in a child or adult would look different in them. When they are younger they could pass as a child pretty easily I would think. Most normal women show distinct changes in their early to mid twenties which corresponds to a metabolic slowdown at that time. They start to show clear signs of age as a result even if they are youthful looking. It can vary from more subtle signs to dramatic changes, depending on their body type. There was a neighbor that went to school with me, in the last years of high school she looked young and girlish, but within five years she was huge and looked a LOT older.

If they had psychological issues they may not be acting in the same way a normal child would act as well. Their behavior might appear immature and childish, and if they were in what appeared to be a child's body you would equate that as being a child, even though they may be an adult. So it would be pretty easy for someone to pull that off. Not a scam so much as them being who they are, with other people's expectations and bias filling in the rest. If being a child was this girl's life, then that is what she would be. It would seem quite normal to her, but not to other people, because that would be all she knows.

That’s exactly what the quote says. That they set her up in an apartment in July 2013. I’m not sure how much clearer that can get.

Kids from Eastern European orphanages often have severe behavioral issues. That’s not at all unusual. So it’s not unusual that there would be a failed adoption or failed placements.

Of course I’ve wondered why the judge was convinced she was an adult. A letter like the one provided by the doctor coupled with Kristine’s Barrett’s dogged insistence and stellar acting would likely be enough for some judges. Why would a parent lie about something like that?

But the letter Kristine proudly submitted to “prove” the child was actually an adult - her evidence- is biased, unprofessional and suspect, for the several reasons many of us have explained on here.

The facts are also that:

1. Dad admitted to knowing the child was a minor when they left her there.
3. The Mans have had her since 2013. (And do not believe she’s a 28 year old woman).
4. Two separate bone scans by independent doctors (not friends of the Barrett’s) at hospitals two years apart both indicated approximate ages close to what the supposed birth mom claims.
5. Her form of dwarfism causes small stature but not a youthful facial appearance.
6. She had a totally flat chest in photos when originally with the Barrett’s. She no longer does. She would have been 20 in those early photos if the Barretts were telling the truth about her age. No one magically forward breasts after age 20.
7. After a five year investigation (so not spur of the moment and not haphazard), the Barrett’s we’re charged with abandoning her. Have you ever considered why?

I think some of the paperwork is questionable that was used to make her an adult. This family had resources the mom wrote a book on parenting. I don't see why they wouldn't take her to court or challenge the adoption agency if they thought she was truly scamming them.

Well, they did. And the way you would do that is to have a court find her to be older so you are relieved of your parental duties. That would have to be proven, a judge is not going to just take your say so, otherwise a lot of people would be doing this with problem children.

Well, they did. And the way you would do that is to have a court find her to be older so you are relieved of your parental duties. That would have to be proven, a judge is not going to just take your say so, otherwise a lot of people would be doing this with problem children.

If you think someone is an adult that is a con artist and potentially dangerous that pretends to be a child, you don't rent them an apt and leave the country. At 22 she misses opportunities for education. I think they found a sympathetic judge and because they took her in after she had been abandoned by another family they were given some leeway. An adult with challenges that are mental or physical can be abandoned if they need help to live on their own and aren't given it. The Barnetts didn't act like parents or even responsible people. moo

Social services are underfunded and understaffed. In some places abuses happen. That doesn't mean that abuse happens everywhere. You only see the shocking places on TV or in documentaries, because the purpose of those shows specifically is to shock you for the entertainment value. Or to solicit donations from you. They don't show you the places were the staff are doing their job, because that does not produce the effect they want from you.

What social services? That doesn’t exist in the Ukraine. I’ve cited my sources. I can cite several more. Would you like to read more? This is well known and has been for decades:

Out of sight: the orphanages where disabled children are abandoned

Helping the children in Ukraine

The practice of segregating and neglecting children with disabilities in Eastern Europe comes from the Soviet era theory of “defectology” which holds that disabled people are useless and should be separate from society and cared for by the State. This philosophy coupled with poverty is why there are so many atrocious orphanages for the disabled all across Eastern Europe.

The Unwanted Children of East Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member