Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

Ontario Mom

stay safe ♥ be kind
Reaction score
(Never started a thread on this forum and couldn't find a thread with this info - I hope I did this correctly)

Alaska cops charged an Anchorage man with murder Tuesday after shocking videos found on a mysterious memory card allegedly captured the suspect assaulting and killing a woman whose remains were recently discovered near a highway.

Brian Steven Smith, a 48-year-old reportedly from South Africa, was arrested at Ted Stevens International Airport after investigators linked him to the crime.

Nearly a week prior, on Sept. 30, someone called Anchorage Police claiming to have "an SD card containing a video of a homicide," according to a press release from authorities. The caller told police the memory card was found laying in the middle of the street in the Fairview neighborhood of Anchorage.

More here: Alaska murder mystery twist: Memory card found along road shows man assaulting and killing woman, cops say

(Never started a thread on this forum and couldn't find a thread with this info - I hope I did this correctly)

Alaska cops charged an Anchorage man with murder Tuesday after shocking videos found on a mysterious memory card allegedly captured the suspect assaulting and killing a woman whose remains were recently discovered near a highway.

Brian Steven Smith, a 48-year-old reportedly from South Africa, was arrested at Ted Stevens International Airport after investigators linked him to the crime.

Nearly a week prior, on Sept. 30, someone called Anchorage Police claiming to have "an SD card containing a video of a homicide," according to a press release from authorities. The caller told police the memory card was found laying in the middle of the street in the Fairview neighborhood of Anchorage.

More here: Alaska murder mystery twist: Memory card found along road shows man assaulting and killing woman, cops say

Thankfully he dropped this card and had it labeled...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you imagine what it would have been like for the unfortunate person who popped that SD card in, and watched what was on it? :( I'm really glad they caught this monster, and hope they can ID this poor woman soon.
I was just thinking that and hoping that maybe since it was literally labeled with the word "homicide," the person just gave it directly to the local PD without watching it first. Still would be awful for the cops, but they would have had to watch it one way or another and they have training to process the horrific things they are exposed to. One less traumatized person. God, I hope they just turned it directly in. That would mess you up for life.

I almost wonder if this guy wanted someone to see this, like that Canadian guy who changed his name to something really dramatic and filmed himself killing his boyfriend and desecrating the corpse... name escaping me but it was about a decade ago I think? Anyway labeling a SD card “Homicide at midtown Marriott” and dropping it in the street seems awfully careless.

Here's the heavy.com article. They uncovered some extremely racist social media from the guy as well as some background biographical info. Wonder what the victim's race was?
Brian Steven Smith: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest

The card, which the police say a woman discovered in the Fairview neighborhood and turned over to them on Sept. 30, contained videos and pictures of a man beating and strangling a woman in a midtown hotel room, the authorities said.

Two days later, on Oct. 2, a caller informed the police that human remains had been found outside the city, on Seward Highway near Rainbow Valley Road — about 18 miles from the hotel that was the setting in the videos and pictures found.
---
The police believe that the woman seen in the photos and videos on the memory card is the same woman whose remains were found Oct. 2. On Thursday, the police identified the victim as 30-year-old Kathleen J. Henry.

As police detectives reviewed images on the memory card, they recognized the man seen in them from a previous investigation, Mr. Thim said. The police would not comment on the prior investigation.
---
The police checked with the hotel, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Anchorage Midtown, and learned that the man had been registered to a room there from Sept. 2 to Sept. 4. The carpet seen in the hotel room where the murder took place matches the hotel that the police visited.
---
The memory card, according to the police, contained 39 images and 12 videos, all of graphic nature, which begin on Sept. 4 at 12:59 a.m.

<ADMIN NOTE: TRIGGER ALERT .. GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW>

In the images and videos, a woman is seen being strangled by a man who “had some sort of an English sounding accent when he spoke,” according to the charging document. In one video, the woman is seen fighting back against her attacker, “attempting to scratch at the man’s wrist with her right hand to get him to stop,” as he pressed into her neck with his right hand.

In another video, according to the document, the man said that his hand was “getting tired” before stomping on the woman’s neck with his right foot, cursing and saying that she needed to die. In other videos, the woman is seen struggling to breathe as he “strangled her more and laughed about it.” One video shows the man, at one point, using a wire or cord on the woman.
---
One image taken on Sept. 4 shows the woman on a rolling hotel luggage cart near a black pickup truck, the authorities said. In at least seven images, prosecutors said, the woman is seen “lying face down on what appeared to be a black bed of a truck.” The last date for the images on the card was Sept. 6 at 1:12 a.m.

Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article above ... "The police believe that the woman seen in the photos and videos on the memory card is the same woman whose remains were found Oct. 2. On Thursday, the police identified the victim as 30-year-old Kathleen J. Henry."

I wonder what was the relationship between the suspect and the victim, Kathleen Henry. May she rest in peace and her family be comforted.

The details of this poor woman's death released by the LE certainly creates a visual of what happens to people who are strangled and that there is no such thing as a quick and painless strangulation death.

I wish Kathleen Henry and her family peace and swift justice. It will be important to note the movements of this man as far back as LE can go.

He was recording this for a reason. I doubt it was just for his own future amusement. I suspect he was sharing this type of content with others. Perhaps with other murderers or in an online form.
Hopefully,LE will be able to trace this content based on what they can learn from the metadata that exists on the SD card. IMO

"“I love myself and I like others equally,” wrote Henry in one post. In 2018, she wrote, “I got to fly because I am light as a feather and have fun while I can like enjoy life.” However, authorities say it has all been snatched away – her present, the future she might have created and wanted to create so badly – by the 48-year-old man they have in custody for murder.""

Kathleen Henry: A Tribute to the Murdered Alaska Woman | Heavy.com

What a lovely woman. No one should ever, ever die so cruelly and brutally, but Kathleen seems like an especially beautiful human. Too many indigenous women disappeared and murdered.

JUSTICE FOR KATHLEEN!

He was recording this for a reason. I doubt it was just for his own future amusement. I suspect he was sharing this type of content with others. Perhaps with other murderers or in an online form.
Hopefully,LE will be able to trace this content based on what they can learn from the metadata that exists on the SD card. IMO
Good thinking. That would explain why this was on a memory card labeled with the specifics of the crime documented--which seems like a foolishly big risk to take if the images were just for him.

I also agree with those who've said LE will find he's done this before. Lots of indigenous women missing and murdered in Alaska: Alaska has fourth highest rates of murdered and missing indigenous women

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back