GUILTY MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019 #2

This seems off to me. I feel terrible for Katlyn and her family. She certainly didn't deserve to die. But she was also clearly doing a few things she absolutely shouldn't have been doing. I am sure there are other officers that may be deserving of this award. To me, this seems like an attempt by the SLPD to appease Katlyn's family.
Was she really doing something she shouldn't have been. Or did she stumble upon, or discover some shady goings on? She was going to lift the lid on. Then she got lured into a trap thinking she could trust this guy, but he's in on it. There's a confrontation, trying to get her to go to the dark side. She refused, maybe tried to make an arrest,and he shot her. Then he and his buddies made up the lame Russian Roulette story to try and cover up,and bury an investigation.
MOO

And no mention of her parents being there. You would think they would have accepted the award on her behalf. Or her husband.

I think you nailed it earlier: seems like an attempt by the SLPD to appease Katlyn's family.

Especially as they are likely preparing to sue the reckless officer and his employer.

Given that Katlyn was named Officer of the month for Sept and October 2018 while working the 6th district, seems appropriate for her partner in that district to accept the award on her behalf.

MOO

Was she really doing something she shouldn't have been. Or did she stumble upon, or discover some shady goings on? She was going to lift the lid on. Then she got lured into a trap thinking she could trust this guy, but he's in on it. There's a confrontation, trying to get her to go to the dark side. She refused, maybe tried to make an arrest,and he shot her. Then he and his buddies made up the lame Russian Roulette story to try and cover up,and bury an investigation.
MOO

I don't believe there's any conspiracy here. In fact, I think all three officers are guilty of conduct unbecoming police officers.

The defendant and his partner returned to defendant's home shortly after roll call, and were allegedly drinking there while on duty.

Although the victim was not on duty, she knew her fellow officers were , and was a party to the violation of their oath of honor.

As for the extreme indifference demonstrated to play with a loaded weapon, it's been reported that this "Do you trust me?" or "Russian Roulette" lethal game is not uncommon to soldiers serving in Iraq, and Afghanistan, of which both the defendant and victim served.

The defendant states the night of the shooting, the victim and defendant handed the gun back and forth 3 times-- each taking a turn at firing at each other. Defendant reports the 3rd time he pulled the trigger, the gun discharged and victim was hit in the chest.

I also think it's possible that alcohol and drugs had a part in this incident.

It's not hard to find teens, soldiers and/or cadets-- from Alaska to Orlando that have died playing this lethal game.

These officers knew better, were trained better, but did not do better.

MOO

I don't believe there's any conspiracy here. In fact, I think all three officers are guilty of conduct unbecoming police officers.

The defendant and his partner returned to defendant's home shortly after roll call, and were allegedly drinking there while on duty.

Although the victim was not on duty, she knew her fellow officers were , and was a party to the violation of their oath of honor.

As for the extreme indifference demonstrated to play with a loaded weapon, it's been reported that this "Do you trust me?" or "Russian Roulette" lethal game is not uncommon to soldiers serving in Iraq, and Afghanistan, of which both the defendant and victim served.

The defendant states the night of the shooting, the victim and defendant handed the gun back and forth 3 times-- each taking a turn at firing at each other. Defendant reports the 3rd time he pulled the trigger, the gun discharged and victim was hit in the chest.

I also think it's possible that alcohol and drugs had a part in this incident.

It's not hard to find teens, soldiers and/or cadets-- from Alaska to Orlando that have died playing this lethal game.

MOO
That's insane. I don't understand. It doesn't make sense. SMH.

MOO

Seems to be typical. Yet people still continue to believe that ALL cops are holier than thou. No.....they're just above the law.

You paint with a wide brush. We get it. You hate cops.
I hate cops who violate the law and get away with it. Just like not all cops are good, not all cops are bad. But the double standard where they automatically are given the benefit of doubt EVERY TIME, no matter the circumstances, is extremely disturbing. I have come to accept that is the way life in the U.S. is, that some are above the law, and can pretty much get away with anything, legal or not.

You paint with a wide brush. We get it. You hate cops.

I do think many people are bitter. That is a natural consequence of betrayal of trust in an institution.

I have had experiences with respectful, brave, and dedicated officers who embody "to Protect and Serve". It is exactly this excellence, and this belief in the institution that causes people to have high expectations, and causes great pain when the institution fails to hold the bad apples accountable.

Some jurisdictions may have never inspired this respect, at least for people of certain backgrounds. But I think many very pro-police people are starting to feel aghast by what looks like an increasing lack of accountability for the deaths and mistreatment of civilians. And in this case, it is very concerning how officers behaved with a fellow officer, resulting in her death.

This may actually be a consequence of our age of camera phones and internet. But I think there have also been changes in administrative mindset and police training, not to mention the daily threat from the huge number of guns out there (I'm old enough to remember police in my state being very vocal about controlling this in order to protect LEO.)

So how do we bring back/build mutual respect? I believe institutional changes to enforce rules and promote transparency, and community oversight have to be the starting point. I think we need to expect more from recruits, and I think taxpayers have to be willing to pay officers better salaries.

Last edited:
I do think many people are bitter. That is a natural consequence of betrayal of trust in an institution.

Some jurisdictions may have never inspired this respect, at least for people of certain backgrounds. But I think many very pro-police people are starting to feel aghast by what looks like an increasing lack of accountability for the deaths and mistreatment of civilians. And in this case, it is very concerning how officers behaved with a fellow officer, resulting in her death.

This may actually be a consequence of our age of camera phones and internet. But I think there have also been changes in administrative mindset and police training, not to mention the daily threat from the huge number of guns out there (I'm old enough to remember police in my state being very vocal about controlling this in order to protect LEO.)

So how do we bring back/build mutual respect? I believe institutional changes to enforce rules and promote transparency, and community oversight have to be the starting point. I think we need to expect more from recruits, and I think taxpayers have to be willing to pay officers better salaries.

Nothing is new. It wasn't just yesterday that a group of cops were declared not guilty, even after video showed several of them in a circle beating and kicking Rodney King, claiming that they were "scared for their lives." It just goes on and on, and nothing ever changes. Some Are just above the law.

I think you nailed it earlier: seems like an attempt by the SLPD to appease Katlyn's family.

Especially as they are likely preparing to sue the reckless officer and his employer.

Given that Katlyn was named Officer of the month for Sept and October 2018 while working the 6th district, seems appropriate for her partner in that district to accept the award on her behalf.

MOO
I think this is entirely plausible.

I have had experiences with respectful, brave, and dedicated officers who embody "to Protect and Serve". It is exactly this excellence, and this belief in the institution that causes people to have high expectations, and causes great pain when the institution fails to hold the bad apples accountable.

I also recall when local and national LE organizations were vocal supporters of laws and regulations against things like armour piercing bullets (they put up a huge fight against that), allowing civilians to purchase tactical vests, large capacity magazines, automatic and semi-automatic weapons, universal background checks, etc.

Now they support arming everyone, yet fear for their lives from these same armed people every day of the week. It makes no sense. As average citizens, there's nothing we can do to help them until they begin to help themselves.

It's going to take an entire generation, if not more, to undo the damage and I don't think communities are yet ready to do what is necessary.

ETA: I have family and friends who live in the city of St. Louis. The problems with LE there are pretty bad. A lot of corruption, as we see in this case. Most businesses downtown have to hire private security companies to protect their businesses, staffed by - you guessed it - off duty police.

Private security cars branded with ‘police’ raise questions for some, provide peace of mind for others

MOO
Not sure if I am misunderstanding what you are saying here. Katlyn was named Officer of the YEAR North Patrol 2018.

Lawsuit from Katlyn Alix’s family paints frightening picture of officer conduct and supervision

Oct 110, 2019

ST. LOUIS – A newly filed 45-page civil lawsuit lays out an alarming chain of events that no one has heard about the fatal shooting of Officer Katlyn Alix – until now.

[...]

St. Louis police had no comment. Hendren's attorney, Talmage Newton IV, responded, saying the "suit is rife with inaccuracies and misstatement of fact."

Hendren is back in criminal court on October 24.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back