GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some interesting stuff on the A's if you look each of them up on the Broward County Clerk's website. (Case Search - Public - Broward County Clerk of Courts) Looks like HA and DA retained a lawyer for 20k in 6/2016 for "an ongoing criminal investigation" (what could that be?!) only to back out in the middle of the retainer payments. The lawyer tried to sue them for fraud and breach of contract.

Attachments

• MC_Docket .PDF
    982.5 KB · Views: 30
This is interesting about payments

VERY interesting!! So SG has been declared indigent and Florida tax payers have been paying for his defense. KM was to pay his attorney $75,000, the fee agreed upon, and has only paid $15,000 to date. Magbanua has not been declared indigent. Super interesting and things that make you go hmmmmm?

Last edited:
There's some interesting stuff on the A's if you look each of them up on the Broward County Clerk's website. (Case Search - Public - Broward County Clerk of Courts) Looks like HA and DA retained a lawyer for 20k in 6/2016 for "an ongoing criminal investigation" (what could that be?!) only to back out in the middle of the retainer payments. The lawyer tried to sue them for fraud and breach of contract.
Also interesting. Did they ever pay up?

Thank you ALL for posting updates of this trial!

Question?? 2 different tweets have 2 different times for Monday's sentencing....

YESorNO from tweet said:
Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1m1 minute ago
Sentencing begins Monday at 10 a.m.

YESorNO from tweet said:
Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1m1 minute ago
We'll be back Monday at 1 p.m. to decide sentencing for Garcia

10am or 1pm - ??

TIA! :)

Posting this update - so I can shorten it up for Monday. Updates in red.

Friday, October 11th:
*Trial Continues (Day 11)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder.
*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Total 11 hours.

Court info from 9/23/19 thru 10/10/19 reference post #754 here:
VERDICT WATCH - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

10/11/19 Trial Day 12 (Verdict Watch): Jury Deliberations Day 2: Jurors started deliberations at 8am ET. Jury question: Can you be a principal to premeditation if you don't premeditate it yourself? Judge Hankinson: "I cannot answer hypothetical questions. I can only answer legal questions." Jurors have been deliberating for about 3 hours. And another question: Are there any exceptions or exemptions to being a principal? "I'm not real sure how to respond to the question."- Judge Hankinson after reading it. He asks attorneys for their opinion. "I think it’s pretty that their hang up here is if a crime has to be the crime."- Saam Zangeneh. And another question: Second question: "If we have a hung jury on person can we give a verdict on another? IF we have a hung jury on count can we give a verdict on another count?" Judge says answer to the first portion is yes and doesn't need any other info. answer to second is also yes. After 6 1/2 hours of deliberations today the jurors have another question: They reached a verdict (@ 2:50pm ET) as to all counts for first defendant. Hung on all counts with respect to second defendant. Judge will send them back on second defendant with Allen charge. And to send them back in on the other. Defense agrees. Garcia guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sending jurors back to deliberate on KM's charges. Garcia’s sentencing phase starts Monday, 10/14 at 10am or at 1pm.
Judge asks jury to go back and ask each juror about weakness in each juror’s position. After that, return to courtroom and will declare a mistrial for Magbanua's case. Jury is - Mistrial declared for Magbanua. Jury breakdown on mistrial for Magbanua on charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation of murder was 11-1 to convict (NOT official confirmation-overheard). Magbanua will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the state will try her case again. Case management scheduled for Oct. 22 for Magbanua.

Accomplice:
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100K to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

I still can't get over how guilty she and the adelson family are

snipped
Ms. Magbanua did part-time clerical work at a Miami Beach dental office where she met Mr. Adelson, 42, a periodontist.

Her finances improved considerably after Mr. Markel’s murder. Bank records showed she began receiving regular checks from a different dental practice, owned by Mr. Adelson’s parents in Broward County. The checks were handwritten and signed by Mr. Adelson’s mother, Donna Adelson.

Two assistants who worked at the practice testified that they did not know Ms. Magbanua to be an employee. A few months after the murder, Ms. Magbanua paid a plastic surgeon $4,000 in cash for breast implant surgery.

Ms. Magbanua took the rare step of testifying in her own defense. She said she began receiving the checks from the Adelsons after she asked Charles Adelson to hire her as his assistant — a favor so she could qualify for state health insurance for her children. The money for her surgery, she added, had been saved up from cash tips she made working in nightclubs.

Man Convicted in Murder of Law Professor Locked in Family Feud

Thank you ALL for posting updates of this trial!

Question?? 2 different tweets have 2 different times for Monday's sentencing....
attorneys present at 10. jury to be there by 1

10am or 1pm - ??

TIA! :)

Dan Markel and Wendi Adelson’s marriage falls apart in Florida: Part 1
Video: Dan Markel and Wendi Adelson’s marriage falls apart in Florida: Part 1

September 30th was the last update on the "Over My Dead Body" podcast with Etters. I would hope that he continues with it as far as investigative, versus interviewing another journalist.

Half of the show I had seen before, the other half was interesting that they had the podcaster reading. I bet he's gotten a lot of more downloads due to the publicity.

Do you think that Kawass and DeCoste are in cahoots with Markus? What do you think Kawass and DeCoste advised KM to do with regard to the State's offer of a complete immunity deal? Do you think that they would EVER advise KM to take a deal? Or are they advising the exact opposite? What does this tell us? -

“Additionally, at the time of Defendant Magbanua’s arrest on October 1, 2016, she was allowed to make a phone call to her attorney, Tara Kawass. Approximately twenty minutes after the Defendant placed the phone call to Ms. Kawass, Investigator Craig Isom received a phone call from David Markus, Charles Adelson’s attorney, requesting to be notified if an arrest warrant was signed for his client. Investigator Isom followed up with Ms. Kawass, who confirmed that she had called Mr. Markus and notified him of this Defendant’s arrest.”

MOTION FOR CONFLICT OF INTEREST INQUIRY - Filed February 20, 2017

1. Anyone know when and why CA sold his "practice" back to his dad HA? Just curious about the timing.

(this caught my attention during the wire tap call between CA and Ericka the dental assistant when the FBI was asking for records)

2. Did HA have brain cancer. I recall that being mentioned early on.

ETA: what is Ericka's position at the office? I put Dental Assistant as that is what she is called on the video caption from L&C

Last edited:
This is an article from 2018 about the arrest of KM's SIL. And the hits just keep coming.....

Samantha Chez-Magbanua, who is married to Katherine Magbanua's brother, was arrested in March in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19 million from her employer. She faces charges of grand theft of over $100,000 after her arrest by the Plantation Police Department.

Embezzlement arrest of Magbanua's in-law being investigated for ties to Dan Markel case

This is an article from 2018 about the arrest of KM's SIL. And the hits just keep coming.....

Samantha Chez-Magbanua, who is married to Katherine Magbanua's brother, was arrested in March in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19 million from her employer. She faces charges of grand theft of over $100,000 after her arrest by the Plantation Police Department.

Embezzlement arrest of Magbanua's in-law being investigated for ties to Dan Markel case

perhaps this is the reason KMs attorneys may not be around for trial #2.

1. Anyone know when and why CA sold his "practice" back to his dad HA? Just curious about the timing.

(this caught my attention during the wire tap call between CA and Ericka the dental assistant when the FBI was asking for records)

2. Did HA have brain cancer. I recall that being mentioned early on.

ETA: what is Ericka's position at the office? I put Dental Assistant as that is what she is called on the video caption from L&C

Timing was 10/2/2015 that he was removed as a manager for the corporation according to Secretary of State records for Florida.See attached PDF.

I'm not sure that means he sold it back to his father, just that he no longer was listed as a manager for the Incorporated documents. I would not know where to find if he sold shares back to his father and he was no longer a shareholder in the corporation. I also attached the incorporation original document it listed only Charlie.

Search for Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Limited Partnerships, and Trademarks by Name

ETA
2013 Charlie listed as a manager
2014 Charlie listed as an owner/ manager
2015 Charlie listed as a manager
10/2/2015 change noted above the Charlie was removed and his father was added
2016 HA listed as a manager
2017 HA listed as an owner
2018 HA listed as an owner
2019 HA listed as an owner

Attachments

• ConvertTiffToPDF.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 1