GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall one day going out to lunch with this fairly famous Dallas attorney in the 80's and he was telling me a man walked into their firm with a brown paper bag full of cash. He wanted representation for a huge drug deal he had been busted on. The lawyer said he turned him away cause the money was " dirty" and he could lose it when the state found out he was paid in cash. So I just thought it must be illegal for attorneys to take cash when they know or should have known the money came from criminal means? Is this not true?

Guess it depends on how well it's been laundered.

Rivera was in complete control on that stand. He wasn’t jumpy or nervous like Nobles. He was very still. He handled himself really well. The defense attys were so bad that they made him look good. He didn’t try to be something he’s not. We also have to remember that he’s been repeating these answers over and over. He knows exactly what’s expected and what will be asked.

He was compelling and likable. Idk how to explain it but I’m ashamed for liking him too!
I don't think it is that we like him. It is we can sense he is remorseful and telling the truth. I think the government feels the same way and it is the reason why they are willing to have him return to society in 15-20 years.

Rivera was in complete control on that stand. He wasn’t jumpy or nervous like Nobles. He was very still. He handled himself really well. The defense attys were so bad that they made him look good. He didn’t try to be something he’s not. We also have to remember that he’s been repeating these answers over and over. He knows exactly what’s expected and what will be asked.

He was compelling and likable. Idk how to explain it but I’m ashamed for liking him too!
I’m not ashamed for liking him. He was born into the complete opposite world from Dan Markel and I can’t imagine being in his shoes trying to survive in a harsher world without a lot of life skills, like reading and writing. It’s just the classic story of what could have been...

Rivera was not remorseful imo. He didn’t even remember the victim’s name. He doesn’t care. He did it for the money. He only cooperated to save his behind. He wasn’t about to do life when he didn’t even pull the trigger. This is who he is and I don’t feel like he pretended otherwise. JMO

ETA: I think part of his appeal is also his machismo. He’s charismatic.

I watched the LR hour and a half confession of rambling about the crime. I think it was during this convo where LR tells the group that SG made a call right after the murder and said to KM " Its done" her reply according to him was " I know". Really? She knew that fast when it took 20 minutes for the paramedics to show up how in the world would KM have had this info that fast? I know bad news travels fast but not this fast people.. Noone seems to have questioned this comment. It is LR embellishing his story that KM ordered and knew about this crime. IMO its BS

I need a refresher of what time that call was. If there was time for Wendi to WhatsApp Katie after stopping at the crime scene before Garcia called Katie, it's totally believable. Katie was specifically asked on the stand if Wendi WhatsApped her about the murder after it was done, and Katie said no. (I don't believe that.)

That might be part of it, but I really liked his demeanor. It's hard to explain.

I like him, too. He's chill. That makes him likable. He was not sarcastic, never full of himself, and rarely showed a hint of anger. The only thing that riled him up at all was when talk of the LK came up, and a lot of that was due to his personal safety. I'm a privileged white girl from the suburbs, but I still liked him and could imagine grabbing a beer. It is a bit weird, I agree!

I’m not ashamed for liking him. He was born into the complete opposite world from Dan Markel and I can’t imagine being in his shoes trying to survive in a harsher world without a lot of life skills, like reading and writing. It’s just the classic story of what could have been...

Agree. I believe I posted about this before.....I couldn't help but imagine how his life would have turned out differently had he not been born into the Latin Kings and had the life he did :(.

I don't think it is that we like him. It is we can sense he is remorseful and telling the truth. I think the government feels the same way and it is the reason why they are willing to have him return to society in 15-20 years.
I didn't sense a lot of remorse from him after the murder, which is why I found it odd that I didn't dislike him. It seemed he didn't really want to participate from the beginning -- it was more to help SG. I don't think remorse had anything to do with him flipping. Flipping was a practical solution to his problem. JMO.

I didn't sense a lot of remorse from him after the murder, which is why I found it odd that I didn't dislike him. It seemed he didn't really want to participate from the beginning -- it was more to help SG. I don't think remorse had anything to do with him flipping. Flipping was a practical solution to his problem. JMO.

I agree. I don't think it was remorse.

IMO: He needed his ex-brother-in-law whacked. SG, Solutions, Inc.
SG/KM may have been working together as a team all along and still lying about it. The relationship between CA/KM is all cover in a well planned hit job hatched a year or two in advance. SG didn't make very many mistakes. except for those pesky bus videos and a clear snap shot at the ATM, along with LR pointing the finger at him and also being involved with the bump note. Although I do not believe in the death penalty. I think it should be put on the table by the jury in this case to give these two smart a$$es something to think about for the next 15-20 years or less if they decide to wake up and come clean.
Mine was a rhetorical question. Read the last line in my comment. (Smiley face)

Rivera was not remorseful imo. He didn’t even remember the victim’s name. He doesn’t care. He did it for the money. He only cooperated to save his behind. He wasn’t about to do life when he didn’t even pull the trigger. This is who he is and I don’t feel like he pretended otherwise. JMO

ETA: I think part of his appeal is also his machismo. He’s charismatic.
I get this. I want him to be remorseful and I think that might be part of my appeal.

it just goes to show you, you're only as good as your weakest link(s). no matter how smart you are or think you are - or how rich you are. you're only as good as the subcontractors who ultimately do the job. their sloppy mistakes become your mistakes and ultimately sink you. their stupidity becomes your stupidity. you're putting your entire life and your fate in their hands. when they go down, you go down. it all traces back.

"Any time you try to do the perfect crime, you got fifty ways you can *advertiser censored** up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius." - Teddy Lewis - "Body Heat"
And in the final analysis...approximately 100 swingline staples is going to be CA's waterloo. IMO.

I don’t know. She’s really unattractive when she’s not made up. JMO.

June U. is a beautiful lady and educated too - and I don’t understand what she saw in CA. June was a beauty pageant girl and won a few titles including Miss Teen Broward.

Gypsy and Razz, IMO, you are both correct about Katie’s looks. But CA didn’t care about her appearance, he selected her for her character, or lack thereof. One sociopath recognized another one, and he thought she would be suitable to do his dirty work. BTW, I think there were other unsavory jobs she completed for him.

I just went to L&C youtube and this is the top comment on LR's testimony with 30 likes, lol.

I know it is wrong, but I totally like the guy, his demeanor here on the stand. And he seems to be telling the truth, even by looking at what direction his eyes go when he is answering you can tell that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ81