GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of kids, now another innocent child has been brought into this mess. Charlie had a baby with Wendi’s ex Bf’s nanny. I saw a photo of the girl and her baby last night, and my heart just sank for that precious innocent baby. I can’t imagine bringing a child into this world in the middle of that mess ! And why in the hell are women still sleeping with that fool - and becoming pregnant? I don’t get it!

Yes, so sad about the innocent child. Women will continue to sleep/have babies with him, because they are blinded by the $$$. Each of them thinks they will be the one he asks to marry, or they just like the $$$ he throws at them while together. His looks are definitely not exceptional (receding hairline, sharp nose, etc. etc.)

IMHO

I still cannot believe that when the police did their undercover operation and approached DA, saying he needs more money to keep quiet about the murder, that they were not charged with anything. Minutes after encountering the undercover decoy she called CA and he called KM, saying she better take care of this “problem” guy. I can only hope one day that justice comes knocking on their doors too.

And that at least one member of the jury didn't think she was guilty after this! Unreal.

I know this may be an unpopular idea but to me the most despicable people in all this are DA, first and foremost because that’s her grand babies’s father ffs, and KM! Together they are the conniving and ruthless masterminds. CA and WA are so enmeshed and would do whatever DA told them. Look at the older brother. He gave up the love of his life before he came to his senses. WA was unhappy in Tally no doubt and DA used this to push and push because she wants her children/grandchildren close by and under her thumb. More than likely, the marriage had no chance with DA in WA’s ear. DM was doomed as soon as he got involved with WA. Mom is unhappy so CA being the only son left has to make it all better! And WA and CA hate RA because he made mom unhappy. All their actions lead to DA.

DA met her counterpart in KM. CA was truly dating his mother with KM. KM is similarly conniving and manipulative. And SG is her victim. She wanted a better life for herself by any means necessary. She coveted the Adelsons.

LR is just an opportunist. He got an equal split even though he didn’t do the shooting. In fact SG gave him more after the murder! And both KM and LR threw SG under the bus. Even his own lawyers used him for publicity and basically admitted he was guilty after the verdict came. And engaged in salacious speculation in front of the cameras.

Great post, Weki! Couldn’t have said it better. You’ve got it, right.

The masterminds are the most despicable. SG and LR were just trying to make a living.

IMHO

I've spoken to several criminal defense attorneys we've worked for who handle capital murder cases (one of whom is a regular legal commentator on TV) to get their take on the prospects of a deal being cut by either or both defendants at this point. Almost all agreed that KM's refusal to take a full immunity deal when offered a few years ago is hard to understand given the extensive evidence she was facing and the fact that LR was providing direct testimony implicating her and SG. Nevertheless, one attorney said this: "Defendants sometimes do stupid things for stupid reasons. Some have 'magical thinking' that unrealistically convinces them they have a shot at acquittal so that refusing a deal allows them to avoid facing the reality of having to admit culpability in a heinous crime." Another acknowledged the obvious likelihood the Adelsons were influencing her -- much to her chagrin now. With regard to the situation as it stands today, for whatever reason, SR rolled the dice and finds himself convicted of two counts of first degree murder. Under Florida law there are only two possibilities for him now: 1) Life without parole; or, 2) Death Penalty. Before the jury convicted him he had the opportunity to cut a deal for a lesser charge and lesser sentence. We don't know if there were any negotiations so it is possible his counsel approached the prosecution and were rebuffed just as it is possible he's in the "ride or die" camp. We just won't know unless someone decides to reveal what occurred. However, right now the State has very little leverage over him except for its authority to remove the death penalty from the case and that is very likely not going to be a big motivator for SG now. The more interesting question is what is going on with KM. Her counsel knows that she's damaged her value to the prosecution by taking the stand and denying under oath being aware of any conspiracy with the Adelsons. On the other hand, SG did not take the stand so his testimony would be extremely valuable, should he decide to flip. One prominent attorney told me if he represented KM he would have been on the phone to SG's attorney as soon as he got home. If Katie has had a true change of heart and wants to cut a deal, her best shot would be to enlist SG's cooperation as a package deal. He also said that if KM seriously wished to cut a deal she could line up family and friends who would be willing to testify that she told them about the conspiracy, thus lessening the problem of her testimony at trial. The bottom line is the attorneys doubt there will be any startling developments prior to sentencing because there has been so little time and everybody has been locked into their positions for so long. Nevertheless, several of them told me that they expect intense negotiations will continue after Monday with KM and the impending case management conference for KM later this month will be important for several reasons. We should learn by then whether her attorneys are withdrawing and we'll get a new trial date. Finally, the consensus opinion was that a grand jury indictment of at least CA is almost inevitable because of the public statements of the prosecutor and the weight of public opinion now.

Did your friends discuss the option of her giving substantial assistance, and Garcia in giving substantial assistance after both of their verdicts? That was linked above as an option has to Florida acts and statutes

Hi again everybody. I was very disappointed by the mistrial, I am sure it was just one juror who wouldn't convict a mother no matter what she did. Now that a couple of days have passed a few thoughts:
1. why are the Markels not launching a wrongful death civil action against the Adelsons?
2. KM will surely be retried and this time I am confident she will be convicted unless she cooperates sooner. I wonder if the mistrial is a boost to her ego or a realization she can't beat the system by taking the stand and lying?
3. I am confident the state is about to arrest Charlie - with this kind of national coverage and the entire legal community watching the justice system in Florida; with law professors all watching the murder trial of their fellow law professor, I don't see how the State of Florida can keep on not arresting the person who order a hit. Florida - seriously - for once, get your act together!
4. Wendi Adelson needs to be arrested as well, and of course Donna too. I think they will each try to save themselves and we will get more information. Each needs to be tried separately.
5. KM and Garcia have much more information than we know. If they do start cooperating, they will have very detailed information that will show us much more than we can imagine. Especially KM - she could regain her credibility with a lot of detailed layered explanations on how it all went down, when the planning started, who was involved at what points, what was said, what happened on the days leading to the murder, conversations with Charlie, Donna, Wendi. The way Wendi and Donna talked about the problem of "Danny/Jibbers", the payments, the communication routes. If and when she actually starts talking she could give the full picture. Wendi and Donna are involved - the evidence is there, Lacasse and others have testified on this, the calls support it, but we do need one of the co-conspirators [not the last link in the conspiracy - Luis rivera] to actually fill in the holes of the full picture. Here's to hoping.
6. I hated that 20/20 special showing that awful Tova saying she "worried that Dan was being emotionally abusive to Wendi" because he was more successful in his career. WTF Tova? Are you without any morals? This is a murder case of a wonderful father, friend, scholar.
7. This is all beyond tragic, all the sleuthing sometimes is maybe a distraction from the tragedy. Dan Markel was killed in broad daylight for doing absolutely nothing except loving his kids and being successful in his life. It has been five years for his orphan two beautiful boys being raised by murderers. The Markels sat for two weeks in a courtroom but have not seen their grandchildren/nephews for two years. Murder is cheap, easy, and easy to get away with. Is this our realities? Beyond Tragic.

8. That's why I think the over my dead body are not so competent. They are focused on the sensational, reality tv type details but don't capture the reality reality, of tragedy, crime, sociology and the justice system breakdowns.

good analysis
I know this may be an unpopular idea but to me the most despicable people in all this are DA, first and foremost because that’s her grand babies’s father ffs, and KM! Together they are the conniving and ruthless masterminds. CA and WA are so enmeshed and would do whatever DA told them. Look at the older brother. He gave up the love of his life before he came to his senses. WA was unhappy in Tally no doubt and DA used this to push and push because she wants her children/grandchildren close by and under her thumb. More than likely, the marriage had no chance with DA in WA’s ear. DM was doomed as soon as he got involved with WA. Mom is unhappy so CA being the only son left has to make it all better! And WA and CA hate RA because he made mom unhappy. All their actions lead to DA.

DA met her counterpart in KM. CA was truly dating his mother with KM. KM is similarly conniving and manipulative. And SG is her victim. She wanted a better life for herself by any means necessary. She coveted the Adelsons.

LR is just an opportunist. He got an equal split even though he didn’t do the shooting. In fact SG gave him more after the murder! And both KM and LR threw SG under the bus. Even his own lawyers used him for publicity and basically admitted he was guilty after the verdict came. And engaged in salacious speculation in front of the cameras.

Yes, so sad about the innocent child. Women will continue to sleep/have babies with him, because they are blinded by the $$$. Each of them thinks they will be the one he asks to marry, or they just like the $$$ he throws at them while together. His looks are definitely not exceptional (receding hairline, sharp nose, etc. etc.)

IMHO
Yeah, he fugly. Inside and out. JMO

Agree but add the manipulative Wendi to the list of the despicable top of conspiracy pyramid. She stood the most to gain. she wanted to "win" her divorce.

Hi again everybody. I was very disappointed by the mistrial, I am sure it was just one juror who wouldn't convict a mother no matter what she did. Now that a couple of days have passed a few thoughts:
1. why are the Markels not launching a wrongful death civil action against the Adelsons?
RSBM. I think there is a 2 year statute of limitations for a wrongful death suit in Fla and I think it runs from the date of death.

5. KM and Garcia have much more information than we know. If they do start cooperating, they will have very detailed information that will show us much more than we can imagine. Especially KM - she could regain her credibility with a lot of detailed layered explanations on how it all went down, when the planning started, who was involved at what points, what was said, what happened on the days leading to the murder, conversations with Charlie, Donna, Wendi. The way Wendi and Donna talked about the problem of "Danny/Jibbers", the payments, the communication routes. If and when she actually starts talking she could give the full picture. Wendi and Donna are involved - the evidence is there, Lacasse and others have testified on this, the calls support it, but we do need one of the co-conspirators [not the last link in the conspiracy - Luis rivera] to actually fill in the holes of the full picture. Here's to hoping.

rsbm

I hope Katie is watching her back in prison. The Adelsons have hired hitmen at least once, probably twice, and maybe more, to get people out of their way. I have no doubt they would not hesitate to do it again.

Not sure. Issue may be whether there is sufficient $$$ to pay their fees for a second trial. JMO.

There is plenty of money for KM's next trial defense! In my opinion (based on common sense as well as June's sworn testimony), the alleged masterminds paid/will pay for KM's and SG's attorney fees. The alleged masterminds lose everything including their freedom and lives if their co-conspirators fall and then flip. They must try to save them at any and all costs - which maxes out at their last dollar. There is more than a wink and a nod among all of these sleazy attorneys. Do you really think they will leave KM to a public defender who isn't loyal to the cause??? No way!!!!!!

Last edited:
Still rewatching LR testimony off and on and have a question. What do you guys think about LR saying he saw WA in the neighborhood? It sounds like GC believes him on that point and I don't understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23