Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCT 12, 2019
Court grants second trial delay for the murder suspect of Mollie Tibbetts
[...]

The trial is now set for 9 a.m. on Feb. 4, 2020.

Chad and Jennifer Frese, attorneys of Cristhian Bahena Rivera, filed an application Wednesday to continue the Nov. 12 trial to a later date, citing forensic evidence released earlier this month by the State of Iowa Criminalistics Laboratory as the reason for the desired delay.

"The results of this forensic testing are critical to the defense of Mr. Bahena Rivera," the Freses wrote in the motion, adding that they need additional time to gather and prepare expert witnesses.

[...]

OK, here we go.

Defense is going to want to retest, and use their own witnesses to support their own conclusions.

What's most disappointing to me is this couple representing CR. I'm sure some will argue that they are doing their job but it almost seems to me that they are taking advantage of the defendant. I think he agrees to anything they propose to him.

It's just sleazy how bad they wanted to represent him. :eek:

MOO

Last edited:
OCT 17, 2019
Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts’ Murder Asks Judge to Approve Sleep Deprivation Expert Witness
[...]

Attorneys for Cristhian Rivera filed a motion Wednesday to request the court’s approval to appoint expert witnesses. They are also asking for the state to pay for hiring those experts as well as services already provided by a translator.

[...]

The motion filed Wednesday asks for approval of Dr. Kimberly Fenn of Michigan State University, an expert in the area of sleep deprivation and its effects on the actions and statements of the sleep-deprived, as an expert witness.

The motion states, “Defendant has raised the issue of voluntariness of his statement to law enforcement as well as whether any waiver of a purported advisement of Miranda rights was knowing and voluntary.”

Rivera’s attorneys are also asking that the interpreter who was court-appointed to assist their client be given expert witness status, in order to allow her to be compensated. The motion claims “neither the State Public Defendant nor State Court Administration want to compensate Ms. Gardner for the services she has rendered to date. Citing various bureaucratic reasons, Ms. Gardner is being characterized as simply providing interpreter services and thus cannot be compensated.”

[...]

The motion asks for a $2,500 retainer to be approved for Dr. Fenn, $3,000 be approved for DNA expert Dr. Michael Spence and for the interpreter to be given expert witness status and her previous claims for compensation be approved.

[...]

Three days of hearings are planned for next week, starting Tuesday, on motions to suppress evidence in the case. Rivera’s attorneys want his alleged confession thrown out as well as evidence found during a search of his car excluded because they claim their client wasn’t read his Miranda rights. Investigators say Tibbetts’ blood was found during that search.

[...]

"Three days of hearings are planned for next week, starting Tuesday, on motions to suppress evidence in the case. Rivera’s attorneys want his alleged confession thrown out as well as evidence found during a search of his car excluded because they claim their client wasn’t read his Miranda rights. Investigators say Tibbetts’ blood was found during that search."

Um no...please no

"Three days of hearings are planned for next week, starting Tuesday, on motions to suppress evidence in the case. Rivera’s attorneys want his alleged confession thrown out as well as evidence found during a search of his car excluded because they claim their client wasn’t read his Miranda rights. Investigators say Tibbetts’ blood was found during that search."

Um no...please no

So the one thing his attorneys haven’t said, as far as I know, is that their client is innocent and didn’t commit the crime. Are they trying to help him get away with murder?

So the one thing his attorneys haven’t said, as far as I know, is that their client is innocent and didn’t commit the crime. Are they trying to help him get away with murder?

Exactly. It is a game to win for them. I am really tired of the endless rights of criminals.

He should have the right to bread and water, while crushing rocks. It is more life than his victim had.

I hate to do this, but it’s time to tell you folks I will not be attending this trial and reporting back to you as I had hoped. I’ve had some serious health issues and major setbacks, I’m no longer in any condition make that happen. I’ll be following closely, but not boots on the ground.

I hate to do this, but it’s time to tell you folks I will not be attending this trial and reporting back to you as I had hoped. I’ve had some serious health issues and major setbacks, I’m no longer in any condition make that happen. I’ll be following closely, but not boots on the ground.
Many thanks for your dedication to Mollie's case, SharonNeedles. Your insight as a local has been extremely valuable to us here. The GoPro videos were above and beyond the call of duty and I know you would be at that trial if you could.

My very best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery. MOO

❤️

Get better. And don't worry, by the time this trial starts you will be doing so much better, after all, it could be years from now.

OCT 20, 2019
Botched Miranda warning excludes statements in Tibbetts case
[...]

Prosecutors have agreed to exclude some statements that 25-year-old Cristhian Bahena Rivera reportedly made to police.

Court documents filed Friday by prosecutors acknowledge that the initial Miranda warning given to Rivera around 11:30 p.m. on August 20th, 2018, failed to inform him that anything he said could be used against him in court.

His Miranda rights were accurately read to him a second time at 5:50 a.m. August 21st, as police were in a cornfield where Tibbetts’ body was found.

[...]

OCT 20, 2019
Botched Miranda warning excludes statements in Tibbetts case
[...]

Prosecutors have agreed to exclude some statements that 25-year-old Cristhian Bahena Rivera reportedly made to police.

Court documents filed Friday by prosecutors acknowledge that the initial Miranda warning given to Rivera around 11:30 p.m. on August 20th, 2018, failed to inform him that anything he said could be used against him in court.

His Miranda rights were accurately read to him a second time at 5:50 a.m. August 21st, as police were in a cornfield where Tibbetts’ body was found.

[...]

OMG, there are so many things about this case that piss me off I might have to stop following it. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd