Found Deceased CA - Tushar Atre, 50, tech executive, kidnapped, Santa Cruz County, Oct 2019 *ARRESTS*

There might be the possibility of a receipe for disaster where the environment contributed a lot to the motive.

Start with an aggressive personality. Not good characteristics to have in an honor sub culture. Of course, "honor" in this context does not mean "fair" or "just". Rather, it just means that the sub culture can place also of emphasis on respect / dis respect concepts rather than having a detached "legal" approach.

Then add that the victim could well have not been aware of the social norms in that sub culture and presumed that it operated the same way as his software business. Blend in that the subculture appears to have a disproportionate number of people pre-disposed towards violence, or willing to tolerate it amongst others in the group.

Toss in the possible fact that a changing cannabis market means that a good number of legal, semi legal and illegal growers have cash flow problems and are not on the road to the promised perfect pot paradise. Lastly, fold in the possibility of people in the sub-culture smoking their own harvests and some who might not be inclined to stop with THC in regards to substance use.

There result could well be victim being the wrong person in the wrong place and the wrong time....

Add in that the victim was seemingly fabulously wealthy....

Could still be wrong place wrong time, but when that’s added in I’m inclined to think he was specifically targeted. (With all of your points still being a factor though).

MOO.

There’s a good documentary on Netflix called Murder Mountain that delves into the ramifications of legalization plus the history of pot growing in the Northern California area. (Also talks about various missing people in the area.)

I started watching this last night based on your recommendation- saw first episode. So helpful!! Really educated me as to the marijuana growing culture and the backstory of how the crossover from black market to legal has unfolded.

I started watching this last night based on your recommendation- saw first episode. So helpful!! Really educated me as to the marijuana growing culture and the backstory of how the crossover from black market to legal has unfolded.
I’m glad I mentioned it then. I know it has had mixed reviews but I definitely learned quite a bit about the marijuana culture in NorCal and how it has affected and continues to affect the residents of those counties.

Local coverage of such a sensational kidnapping/murder seems a bit sparse. If LE knows who one or more of the perps are, they haven't asked for the public to be on the lookout for them and to stay clear of them. Or it's possible they know who the perps are and know they fled the country. Or maybe they don't have a clue.

Could still be wrong place wrong time, but when that’s added in I’m inclined to think he was specifically targeted. (With all of your points still being a factor though).
I would agree- in a drug connection scenario, it is likely that he was specifically targeted.

What I meant by wrong place at the wrong time was the totality (abrasive personality, possible industry with a respect / disrespect component, some in industry (legal or illegal) inclined to be violent, possible market stresses, and being outwardly wealthy).

The price of marijuana seems to fluctuate a lot. Some fluctuations might be local, others not so. Might be hard to say whether there is, or is not a glut:

Oregon Marijuana Market Has Too Much Weed, Price Is Dropping

Why Marijuana Prices at Colorado Dispensaries Have Been Falling |...

Have Colorado Weed Prices Stabilized?

Here are articles about smaller farmers in California being forced out by existing market and regulatory conditions.

Central Coast Pot Growers Use Loophole to Skirt Restrictions
How Legalization Is Already Hurting California's Small Pot Farmers

At the end of the day, marijuana might behave like a lot of other farm commodities:

Given modern technology and economy of scale, consolidated suppliers have the potential to quickly out produce demand and create gluts. This places stress on a certain number of producers who can't match the economy of scale.
We arent talking about Colorado or Oregon we are talking about Northern California where this case is taking place. And the article that you did post about California is from June of last year.

We arent talking about Colorado or Oregon we are talking about Northern California where this case is taking place. And the article that you did post about California is from June of last year.
Yes, I am aware of that.

That is why I said that price fluctuation might be local and others not so. I also posted two California related articles about market difficulties as well.

In either case, we have drawn different conclusions from the information. I am happy with mine and you appear to be happy with yours.

Last edited:
Off topic, sorry, but I’m undergoing chemo for breast cancer and I developed a rash on my face. It was on my cheeks, forehead and chin, and felt like how your nose feels when you’ve been blowing it for days and it gets all raw and sore. I have some CBD cream a friend had recommended and on the second day of the rash remembered it, and put it on and it helped so much. It stung the first time I put it on but I held a cold pack to my face to take the sting away, and then by the next application a few hours later it didn’t even sting.

It didn’t completely take the rash away but it made a huge difference I have my 2nd round Friday and I’m going to put the cream on morning and night starting tomorrow and I’m hoping it helps prevent the rash this time or at least minimize it.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers (if that's okay) to you. Glad the CBD cream helps you. And, good luck with your chemo.

This story sucked me in so hard and I’ve not found any updates other than the coroner’s inquest will be completed tomorrow. I’m so shocked his GF hasn’t spoken out, she’s very active on SM. So curious to see how this turns out.

T... So curious to see how this turns out.

Me too. Right now it's hard to make sense of it. LE has said it's a robbery. Daily Mail article says, in reference to his business, "'We don't know if that is connected to this murder quite yet,' Santa Cruz County Office Public Information Officer Ashley Keehn had said."

If they can't determine that any cash or goods was taken from the business, I don't know why they'd kidnap him. His body was found on heavily wooded property that he owns. I suppose he could have had cash buried there somewhere and they took him to locate the hiding place.

Also from the article: "Several neighbors said Atre was involved in questionable activity and illicit behavior." The houses don't seem all that close together there. I wonder what the neighbors thought was going on.

[Of course, the Daily Mail may have gotten some of this wrong.]

my thoughts exactly. and idk if it has been said yet but that is a very affluent hood and would be crawling w cctv all over.
It is and it’s also crawling with tourists at all hours of the day and early evening. I’ve walked past his house a dozen times in the past 5 years. The houses are super close to each other so I can see that the neighbors would know if there was questionable activity going on as mentioned in the DM article posted above. By the way, I had read early on that the GF wasn’t there that night. Was that bad reporting?

It is and it’s also crawling with tourists at all hours of the day and early evening. I’ve walked past his house a dozen times in the past 5 years. The houses are super close to each other so I can see that the neighbors would know if there was questionable activity going on as mentioned in the DM article posted above. By the way, I had read early on that the GF wasn’t there that night. Was that bad reporting?

As I read further I saw that they are saying she was on the east coast. Clear as mud!

I think I read that she was on the East Coast at the time of murder, but I can’t remember where I saw that.

Per Daily Mail article above, girlfriend has been cleared:
“Atre's long-distance girlfriend Rachael Emerlye is also in the cannabis industry with a company called Benevolence Bound, according to her Instagram account. Police said she is not a suspect in his case”

Yeah, I think he ran afoul of whatever the "marijuana mafia" consists of, because if you substitute "Italian" for "marijuana", you get a pretty textbook Hollywood movie type scenario. Brash rogue alpha male exec kidnapped and roughed up to "teach him a lesson about how things are done"; and either outright killed or "hurt badly; succumb later".

Yeah, I think he ran afoul of whatever the "marijuana mafia" consists of, because if you substitute "Italian" for "marijuana", you get a pretty textbook Hollywood movie type scenario. .
I agree that this is a very possible scenario.

The only thing I would change is to sub 'biker scene' for 'mafia'. Mafia implies clear hierarchies and groups whose sole purpose is criminal activity.

Meanwhile, 'bikers' can include one percent groups, riding clubs (some with rough edges, others not), and riders into the scene as individuals.

Like bikers, legal state marijuana scene types seem to be a mixed group. A small number are purely criminal and willing to use violence routinely. A far larger number are fully legal and non violent.

Another number maybe involved in some criminal activity and /or get violent if certain circumstances are met. These circumstances can include being 'dis-respected' too many times, farm is failing due to erratic prices and larger competition, presence of a easy victim who is wealthy etc. .

And..... for added confusion by the victim, marijuana scene members don't wear patches for easy identification of whom to either avoid or be vary cautious around. Rather, new investors might not have any idea of who they are dealing with.

I agree that this is a very possible scenario.

The only thing I would change is to sub 'biker scene' for 'mafia'. Mafia implies clear hierarchies and groups whose sole purpose is criminal activity.

Meanwhile, 'bikers' can include one percent groups, riding clubs (some with rough edges, others not), and riders into the scene as individuals.

Like bikers, legal state marijuana scene types seem to be a mixed group. A small number are purely criminal and willing to use violence routinely. A far larger number are fully legal and non violent.

Another number maybe involved in some criminal activity and /or get violent if certain circumstances are met. These circumstances can include being 'dis-respected' too many times, farm is failing due to erratic prices and larger competition, presence of a easy victim who is wealthy etc. .

And..... for added confusion by the victim, marijuana scene members don't wear patches for easy identification of whom to either avoid or be vary cautious around. Rather, new investors might not have any idea of who they are dealing with.
Your imagination knows no bounds!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back