TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Dean identified as shooter. He's no longer a Fort Worth police officer.
I think that I read that he graduated from the Police Academy in 2018. If that is the case, shouldn't it be policy for every new graduate be with a seasoned officer when going on calls?? Wouldn't the seasoned officer take the lead? Who was the other officer? Where was he or she?

Fort Worth's interim police chief says the department should not have released photos of a handgun found inside the home of a black woman who was killed by a white police officer, noting that many Texas homeowners keep firearms nearby for self-protection.

Atatiana Jefferson was shot to death Saturday by a Fort Worth officer who was responding to a report of an open door. Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said Monday that there's no indication the officers knocked on the front door, and that Jefferson died from a gunshot fired through a window accessible from the fenced-in back yard.
upload_2019-10-14_14-47-8.jpegupload_2019-10-14_14-47-19.jpeg
Kraus said police have previously released images of weapons to illustrate a perceived threat. But, he said, releasing the photos in this instance was "a bad thing to do."
Fort Worth officer resigns after fatal shooting of a black woman in her home

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was gunned down early Saturday by an officer who'd been summoned to her Fort Worth home to conduct a welfare check by a neighbor who reported seeing Jefferson's front door open. Bodycam footage released by police showed two officers canvassing the property before one shouted, "put your hands up, show me your hands," and fired through a window.

"My intent was to meet with him today to terminate his employment with the Fort Worth Police Department. However, the officer tendered his resignation this morning before we met," Kraus told reporters Monday. "Even though he no longer works for the city, we will continue the administrative investigation as if he did. The case will be completed and reviewed by the chain of command.
Fort Worth police officer accused of shooting, killing black woman after firing through her window has resigned, chief says

"Had the officer not resigned, I would have fired him for violations for several policies, including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct," Kraus added.

"This man murdered someone. He should be arrested," Darius Carr, Jefferson's brother, told reporters.

Kraus brought the case to the Texas Rangers, who he said were not inclined to take it up at this point, and to the FBI, which did not immediately say whether it would review it.
Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price said she was "heartbroken" by the killing and said she asked City Manager David Cooke to hire a third-party panel of national experts to review the city's police department — "everything from top to bottom."

"This is a pivotal moment in our city, and we will act swiftly with transparency," she wrote in an open letter to the community.
Fort Worth, Texas, police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson resigns

It's not realistic to say that race is never a factor in police shootings. Here? Who knows? Depends on what they thought - maybe knowing they were going to a neighborhood with many African-American residents predisposed them to "fear". Maybe the split-second he saw her was not enough to stay his hand, whereas seeing a woman who looked more like him may have stopped him.

We tend to oversimplify things, especially when we are outraged. Saying race may have been a factor is not in any way saying that these officers went to the house to kill (or execute) an African-American person. Just like she was definitely not killed for having her doors open or her lights on, as some have claimed in their anger. Reality is always more nuanced than that.

In fact, I think the police really did go there to help. I think they saw reason to worry about a home invasion. But flaws in screening, training, and procedures along with probable bias took us to the loss of Ms. Jefferson and the end of a child's innocence. If we can address those flaws and biases on a large scale, maybe we can prevent the next needless killing.

Last edited:
I know for me my first instinct was no this is not about race, but then I started thinking about other murders of African Americans by white police. So, I thought maybe it is about race. Now I just don’t know any more. All I know for sure is another innocent life is over, and that sweet little nephew has lost his forever best friend. Another thing I don’t understand…. why is Atatiana Jefferson being referred to as “black woman” “African American” Why not call her a young female? It’s when these words are used that I think some people want it to be about race. When that happens the victim is forgotten ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member