TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link contains step by step:
Snip: That’s at 2:32:24, 42 seconds since he checked the front door.

And he has yet to identify himself as police.

At 2:32:48 seconds, the officer opens the gate and walks into the backyard.

You see the air-conditioner unit at the back of the house.

Just eight seconds later, you see the officer walk to the window at the back of the house.

Jefferson is standing on the other side of that window.

You hear the officer yell, “Put your hands up! Let me see your hands.”

He immediately fires the single shot through the window – killing Jefferson.
Body camera reenactment shows Fort Worth officer's path to Atatiana Jefferson's window

There is evidence that color of the victim (not the officer) plays a role in trigger-finger speed. Better training and frequent assessment could improve the situation.

New Study Says White Police Officers Are Not More Likely To Shoot Minority Suspects

More Police Training Key To Determining Who Is A 'Good Guy' With A Gun

I think that the color of the victim plays little role in an affluent neighborhood with low crime rate. In a poor neighborhood it might play a role, but a white person living in a poor neighborhood has a higher chance to be killed by the police as well.

The neighborhood itself plays a role. The time of the day plays the role. Mostly, the fear plays the role.

@Artis , did you say that in the 70es it did not happen?
Here is an interesting fact. When I Googled “gun ownership by year”, I thought the trend would be up, not down. Here is what I got.

Technically speaking, America is very armed, but disarming. What has changed then that made fear so prevalent?

Attachments

• FE67B51F-C74E-4849-8489-EFD90663A705.jpeg
    FE67B51F-C74E-4849-8489-EFD90663A705.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I looked up life insurance premiums for the policemen
Life Insurance for Law Enforcement Officers, High Risk Doesn't Mean High Rate | CFA Insurance

start with “do you carry a gun?” And read further.

Here is the part that is interesting.

• “What safety measures do you take? Your prospective life insurer may want to know if you take any safety measures, especially when going to the battlefields. Police officers that use bullet-proof vests and other safety attires can enjoy reductions on their premium payments.
  • Do you handle high crime cases? Officers that deal with high crime cases are also at high risk of death. This is because the accused people might plan to take vengeance any time.
  • What is your specialty? Your prospective life insurance provider will inquire about your job specialty. Police officers that deal with crime and country defense are at great risk of death. Traffic police officers may enjoy a cut in the premiums because their duties are not that hazardous.”

They are insured less if they risk their lives more...

And what if the insurance companies determine that the risk was unnecessary? For example, the officer sees a figure in the window, he yells “hands up”, the person shoots him and runs?

Can insurance companies decide that he took unnecessary risk by not shooting first and refuse paying life premiums? Has it ever happened?

Does it factor into the LE’s behavior? Or even their training?

I briefly explained the details to my husband as I know them. I told him that the police officer responded to a welfare check after receiving a call from a concerned neighbor. Tay and her nephew were in her bedroom playing a video game at 2:30 a.m. when Dean approached the window outside and shouted and suddenly shot through the window.

My husband immediately said, "Well, we can assume that the police officer didn't go to the home intending to shoot anyone. When he went to the bedroom window, did he hear sounds (shots) from the video game and thought that someone was shooting at him, which caused him to instinctly react?"

This is what could have caused Dean to react so suddenly. I myself would not have expected anyone to be awake at 2:30 a.m. Perhaps, Dean was doing a walk around the home and did hear what he thought were shots, and it startled him.

I'm not saying that he acted appropriately. I'm just saying that he could have been startled and acted instinctly. It could have been a tragic accident.

Did his partner tell him to walk one way around the house and he would walk the other way? Perhaps, they just didn't expect anyone to be awake at that hour of the morning. His inexperience, coupled with what he thought were gunshots (from the game) were a recipe for disaster.

Just throwing this out there.
Wow. That's a pretty impressive stretch. Except she was in the kitchen

I think that the color of the victim plays little role in an affluent neighborhood with low crime rate. In a poor neighborhood it might play a role, but a white person living in a poor neighborhood has a higher chance to be killed by the police as well.

The neighborhood itself plays a role. The time of the day plays the role. Mostly, the fear plays the role.

@Artis , did you say that in the 70es it did not happen?
Here is an interesting fact. When I Googled “gun ownership by year”, I thought the trend would be up, not down. Here is what I got.

Technically speaking, America is very armed, but disarming. What has changed then that made fear so prevalent?

Regarding where you addressed me:

That should be it's own thread and this forum isn't the place for it. A few things, though:

Social engineering to cause deliberate fracturing through multiculturalism instead of E Pluribus Unum, reinforced through all forms of media

The infiltration of Marxism and the tactical agitation that goes with it

The creation of a permanent underclass through the creation of a welfare/nanny state that actually required the destruction of black families (fathers cannot live in the home)

Socially engineered mass immigration (rather than a more organic variety)

Identity politics (more fracturing for divide and conquer)

A complete loss of spiritual foundation with a resulting moral decay

A population ignorant of history

Drugs

Globalization

The further back you go in American history, the more common it was to own firearms yet it wasn't a problem, other than in hard core inner cities. Yet, it was far more civil with a higher degree of trust.

Big topic.

Isn't a "well check" supposed to be, knock on the front door and see if the family inside is okay? Has there been a history of extreme domestic violence calls or something that made the officer so defensive?

Geez, I am afraid to ever call the police Department now, for a "well check" on anyone.

What is sort of sad, is that neighbors don't check up on folks. They call the police now. I wonder if there has been any drama around there. I know my neighbors well enough to have their phone numbers, and their kids, or Mama. Wonder why folks there didn't just call?

Isn't a "well check" supposed to be, knock on the front door and see if the family inside is okay? Has there been a history of extreme domestic violence calls or something that made the officer so defensive?

Geez, I am afraid to ever call the police Department now, for a "well check" on anyone.

What is sort of sad, is that neighbors don't check up on folks. They call the police now. I wonder if there has been any drama around there. I know my neighbors well enough to have their phone numbers, and their kids, or Mama. Wonder why folks there didn't just call?

I think in the future, if I need to check on someone where I can't do so myself, I'll send them a Dominoes Pizza with a nice tip for the pizza guy to convey my message of concern and report back to me.

I'm not kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member