IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I’m the US a child with disabilities can receive payment from the government. BUT, the government takes in consideration the parents income. If you make more than $X your child will not qualify (despite disability) for payment until they turn 18. I’m not sure of this family’s income to know if they would have qualified or not.

Understanding SSI - SSI for Children
From what I have read here and in MSM, it doesn't sound like they have any income other than aid for dependent children (or whatever it is called in Illinois), etc. Possibly the boyfriend/dad may have gotten retirement from the Armed Services, but I doubt he was old enuff to have been retired 20 yrs or whatever. Maybe he was receiving disability of some kind.
They did have debts, I would assume: trailer and lot rent, electricity, gas/propane, clothing/shoes, some groceries not covered by WIC or food stamps (assuming they had those benefits), drug prescriptions, & whatever else.

I don't think all of the signs are subtle. If a 2 yr old loudly protests anytime a family member tries to hold or touch them, resists physical contact, refuses to engage, and prefers to sit alone, looking at the ceiling fan for hours, that is more than subtle.
Yes, absolutely, but how about the caregiver? Does/did she take the time or have the time to notice the symptoms? Mom said K was autistic, so seems like she would have had help with him from professionals -- did she? K seemed affectionate with others in the few times we saw him -- seemed to speak on a par with his age -- socialized well, etc., etc. Maybe he was in a high-performing group. I'm still dubious, but we certainly did not see enuff of him IMO to be sure one way or the other.

I'm very confused that with the windows all around, if the 2 littlest were in a bedroom, couldn't someone have gone thru the window to get them? If they saw them after and no fire, just died of smoke inhalation, that means fire didn't get to them..... ugh, just horrible. Grandma was the one that suffered it sounds. and WHY wouldn't they have pulled Rosie out when Mom was ushered out by JW. She had to have been RIGHT there.

From what I have read here and in MSM, it doesn't sound like they have any income other than aid for dependent children (or whatever it is called in Illinois), etc. Possibly the boyfriend/dad may have gotten retirement from the Armed Services, but I doubt he was old enuff to have been retired 20 yrs or whatever. Maybe he was receiving disability of some kind.
They did have debts, I would assume: trailer and lot rent, electricity, gas/propane, clothing/shoes, some groceries not covered by WIC or food stamps (assuming they had those benefits), drug prescriptions, & whatever else.

He supposedly received veteran’s disability benefits which are usually pretty decent.

I'm very confused that with the windows all around, if the 2 littlest were in a bedroom, couldn't someone have gone thru the window to get them? If they saw them after and no fire, just died of smoke inhalation, that means fire didn't get to them..... ugh, just horrible. Grandma was the one that suffered it sounds. and WHY wouldn't they have pulled Rosie out when Mom was ushered out by JW. She had to have been RIGHT there.

In the first story she acted like she was blown to the ground and separated from Rose due to the explosion. Then her husband found her and ushered her out.

In the first story she acted like she was blown to the ground and separated from Rose due to the explosion. Then her husband found her and ushered her out.

Yes, and if there was an explosion, why nothing showing on her as burns, bruises, scratches? Was Rose thown FAR away? just truly doesn't add up to me. I guess i just am one that would be getting the kids out before the parents. Kyle was said to have crawled out a window, right? And ran to his grandparents. I don't know, i guess we may never know the truth completely. If he was getting decent benefits, why was the van not legal? I do think KA thought she'd get survivor benefits... i think she may be wrong about that. I know, i'm not being very victim friendly, but the kids are victims IMO moreso. I'll go stand in the corner.

The dysfunction...the horror of this case...the tragedy. I'm not even sure where to start with this.

The fact that LE has charged this boy with murder 6 months after the fire leads me to believe that they have to have evidence and a strong belief that he was responsible and that the set it with intent, right? One logical conclusion to me would be that the boy confessed to setting it. I could go either way on this one - either he has been pushed to take the fall for someone else, or he is seriously disturbed due to the lack of parenting and abuse and neglect that he was surrounded by.

The less said about the "mother", the better.

Just heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time, all around.
^^^ Excellent post, @Kittybunny !

Have been struggling myself to try to find some compassion for this woman.
Watching those videos made me cringe.
Just seeing her sit there and not lift a finger for her baby after he hit the little one. Why ?
How could she ?

Then I thought-- this is all she knows , how she was raised, and she doesn't see anything wrong with children being abused.
Some people just live like that ; and it doesn't matter how poor they are, or if they're physically or mentally disabled , or whatever their circumstances.
This is normal for them.
Who are we to judge ??

Except there are people living in meager circumstances who are good to their children, keep a neat and tidy household free from squalor and filth, and who do not abuse the welfare system.
So perhaps -- neither KA nor the late JW had any excuse ?
Imo.

Yes, and if there was an explosion, why nothing showing on her as burns, bruises, scratches? Was Rose thown FAR away? just truly doesn't add up to me. I guess i just am one that would be getting the kids out before the parents. Kyle was said to have crawled out a window, right? And ran to his grandparents. I don't know, i guess we may never know the truth completely. If he was getting decent benefits, why was the van not legal? I do think KA thought she'd get survivor benefits... i think she may be wrong about that. I know, i'm not being very victim friendly, but the kids are victims IMO moreso. I'll go stand in the corner.

I agree with you. The whole evolving tale is strange. I don’t think anything that woman says can be believed.

The boy likes to takes videos of whatever he is doing. I wonder what was recovered from his cell phone.
Hmmmmmm.....
I don't really want to know anything more than what has been revealed -- but LE would have reason to see what was recorded.
Something tells me he recorded himself starting the fire.
Although I'm not ruling out any suggestions made to Kyle, by another person.
MOO

Last edited:
@gitana1 , could you explain why KA was charged with 3 counts of arson?

One count was ‘aggravated’, and I found this definition: aggravated arson charge is different from arson; in that, the property that was set on fire was occupied by people or the fire caused or created a substantial risk of harm to another person other than the initial offender.

Do the other two charges mean that mean he set fire to two other objects or structures?

Also, if he is found guilty and is put on probation what if he breaks the terms of probation?

I don’t know, but I would hope if he is returned to his mother he would be ordered to have a curfew, no access to items that may start a fire...would his mother be held accountable if he breaks those terms under her watch?

Based on what has been released on MSM - we know the trailer exploded and burned - and yet the children were unburned in the bed still? I'm trying to understand this and I do not - trailer fires are notoriously hot and burn fast - how did the bed not go up in flames too? I guess I need to go back and re-read the MSM reports because this just makes no sense to me. JMO

Yes, absolutely, but how about the caregiver? Does/did she take the time or have the time to notice the symptoms? Mom said K was autistic, so seems like she would have had help with him from professionals -- did she? K seemed affectionate with others in the few times we saw him -- seemed to speak on a par with his age -- socialized well, etc., etc. Maybe he was in a high-performing group. I'm still dubious, but we certainly did not see enuff of him IMO to be sure one way or the other.
This family is confusing, but I thought that it was 2 y/o DA who was autistic, 1 y/o AA has hearing loss in one ear, and 8 y/o at time of fire now 9 y/o KA was "recently" diagnosed as schizophrenic, bipolar and ADHD. I don't remember any disability label for 2 y/o niece Rose.

I continue to be disturbed by the mother's conversational content in the background of the April 10 video. I really do wonder if something happened to one of those toddlers such as sexual or physical abuse even a death, and the fire is a coverup. Mother's story doesn't add up and changes, the truth needs no embellishment.

In one video, does Great Grandma's ankle wound look like a severe burn?

(I really should join you in the corner. ;) )

Based on what has been released on MSM - we know the trailer exploded and burned - and yet the children were unburned in the bed still? I'm trying to understand this and I do not - trailer fires are notoriously hot and burn fast - how did the bed not go up in flames too? I guess I need to go back and re-read the MSM reports because this just makes no sense to me. JMO
Ita.

And from the video, the walls appeared to be mostly intact-- if scorched.
How did the man not make it out ? If KA heard screams --even .f he hadn't time to rescue the toddlers, he could've broken through a window ; imo.
Was he drugged by someone or otherwise incapacitated ?
(Not feeling very sorry for him; if he'd survived-- he could be facing child abuse charges.)

And referencing the post #649 with which I agree ... was a thorough autopsy completed on all of them ?
To check for injuries inconsistent with the fire , like broken arms, legs, bruises from being struck that were in various stages of healing ?

I just hope his charges didn't come from a situation like LE asking him stuff like "so, Kyle, is your stepdad ever mean to you?" "yes" "so, you should be pretty angry at him, right?" "yes" "what about your mom? was she mean to you?" "yes" "that's why you set the fire? you can tell us, it's okay". A kid like Kyle, mostly ignored by everyone, getting a little bit of attention from adults is dangerous. I wouldn't be too surprised if he said "yes sir" to everything because some adults were being nice to him for once in his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23