Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
So interesting about the 911 call which *presumably* happened at the same time this fellow was *reportedly* going in and out of the Shermans' home? Now we are told that H's cellphone was found right there in a powder-room on the main floor. I wonder if there is a reason why Greenspan has said it is not conclusive as to whether the fellow actually entered the home, or if it is the truth? Is it suspected the fellow may have been someone he may be representing?? The neighbour that HAD the video believed the man did go inside, and it was said the man was inside the home for a total of what, 29 minutes? That is a long time to NOT be inside, just standing invisibly at the front door, is it not?? jmo.

On the Thursday morning at 9:45 a.m., a full day before the Sherman bodies were discovered, homeowners down the road from the Shermans answered a knock on their door. The Star has agreed not to identify the homeowners or their exact address. They live roughly 10 houses away on Old Colony.

The man at the door was a uniformed police officer asking if someone in their home had made a 911 call. The homeowners said no. The officer shared few details, but said police believed it came from the homeowners' house, but did not say if the call had come from a cellular phone or a landline. The officer did not say what time the call came in.
The homeowners who had the visit from police checked with Bell and Rogers and was told there was no evidence of a glitch, crossed wires or a 911 call coming from their house.
At the same time police were checking out the 911 call down the street, a four-door car pulled up in front of the Sherman home. It was 9:11 a.m. and the car remained on the street until 10:16 a.m. By this time, it is most likely that the Shermans were dead, according to sources close to the case.
The neighbours have said they believed the man went in and out of the Sherman house but the Sherman private detective team has studied the same video and it is "inconclusive" as to whether the man enters the house or stood in the alcove leading to the front door, according to Brian Greenspan, lawyer for the Sherman family.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s neighbours cite mysterious 911 call, visitor on day before billionaires found dead
Meant to post this link as a followup to the "mystery man", LE have since spoken with him.
March 28 2019
Chief Mark Saunders on Barry and Honey Sherman case: ‘Our officers did not drop the ball’
"Neither Saunders nor a spokesperson would identify the individual, or respond to questions about what the man did in the house, how he got through the locked front door, and whether or not he went into the basement or onto the second floor, or stayed on the main floor. The house was for sale at the time and there was a realtor lockbox on the front door.

A Toronto Star story this week detailed how a man parked in front of the Sherman home on Old Colony Rd. and went in and out of the house three times, spending a total of 29 minutes inside the home. This was on the morning of Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017. The Shermans were last seen alive the previous evening, and their strangled bodies were discovered the day after the mysterious visitor was in the home. Security cameras from another home on the street picked up the activity."

Last edited:
I think there was a comment regarding MS. As far as I am concerned, she became a POI when she reportedly declared she was promised $300 million.
Not sure why someone hoping for an inheritance would kill the Shermans without any certainty that they were in the will.

Oct 15 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman murder probe receives ‘significant contribution’ from Toronto Police intelligence squad, court records reveal | The Star
"The Toronto Police intelligence unit has been called in to the Barry and Honey Sherman murder probe and has recently made a “significant contribution,” according to documents filed in court in the high-profile case.

The details of that contribution were not revealed by the police detective who filed the court document, but in it he outlined that he believes the unit’s contribution will soon lead to more search warrant requests."
..................................................................................................................................
“This case remains a priority to the investigators involved and to the Toronto Police Service as a whole,” Yim stated.

He said a total of 250 people have been interviewed and recently, “several witnesses have provided additional statements to investigators, in addition to their original statements.” New information provided by earlier witnesses led police to obtain another search warrant.

Another revelation in Yim’s affidavit relates to the private investigation led by criminal defence lawyer Brian Greenspan and private detective Tom Klatt. According to Yim, some of the information Greenspan and Klatt’s team have provided is short on details.

“Some of the tips (provided by Greenspan’s team) appear to be incomplete or missing and required further follow up with the private investigators,” Yim says in his affidavit. “It is also my understanding that the private investigators will be providing the Toronto Police Service with further disclosure in the near future. The information received from the private investigators will be reviewed in conjunction with the evidence that the Toronto Police Service has collected in this investigation thus far.”

Oct 15 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman murder probe receives ‘significant contribution’ from Toronto Police intelligence squad, court records reveal | The Star
"The Toronto Police intelligence unit has been called in to the Barry and Honey Sherman murder probe and has recently made a “significant contribution,” according to documents filed in court in the high-profile case.

The details of that contribution were not revealed by the police detective who filed the court document, but in it he outlined that he believes the unit’s contribution will soon lead to more search warrant requests."
..................................................................................................................................
“This case remains a priority to the investigators involved and to the Toronto Police Service as a whole,” Yim stated.

He said a total of 250 people have been interviewed and recently, “several witnesses have provided additional statements to investigators, in addition to their original statements.” New information provided by earlier witnesses led police to obtain another search warrant.

Another revelation in Yim’s affidavit relates to the private investigation led by criminal defence lawyer Brian Greenspan and private detective Tom Klatt. According to Yim, some of the information Greenspan and Klatt’s team have provided is short on details.

“Some of the tips (provided by Greenspan’s team) appear to be incomplete or missing and required further follow up with the private investigators,” Yim says in his affidavit. “It is also my understanding that the private investigators will be providing the Toronto Police Service with further disclosure in the near future. The information received from the private investigators will be reviewed in conjunction with the evidence that the Toronto Police Service has collected in this investigation thus far.”

Six months have passed from when Dennis Yim last appeared in court to file documents on behalf of TPS (info which resulted in a voluminous amount of material). Yim stated that they had a working theory and an idea of what happened.

Six months later and he is still the only investigator working on the case. Greenspan doesn't appear to be sending useful tips or information, per his affidavit. So much for the $10 million reward.

Dennis Yim: “This case remains a priority to the investigators involved and to the Toronto Police Service as a whole". I sincerely wish Yim good luck in solving this high priority case.

Not sure why someone hoping for an inheritance would kill the Shermans without any certainty that they were in the will.

I don't think it has anything to do with the wills. It appears that MS was relying on her sister to keep her afloat financially and it was a current need. It doesn't sound like MS was banking on a promised inheritance after HS died since she is now in the poor house because of her death. She is claiming that HS promised her the money, not that she was necessarily included in HS's will. She would not benefit from HS"s death regardless. Why HS would agree to give her $300 million is another story.

I find it interesting that Donovan has book coming out with supposed new information. You'd think that these things should have been reported in The Star? Are newspapers now withholding news so they can publish books? Seems like it.

I find it interesting that Donovan has book coming out with supposed new information. You'd think that these things should have been reported in The Star? Are newspapers now withholding news so they can publish books? Seems like it.
The info in the book may not necessarily be 'new' info, but rather, perhaps previously unreported info. Considering Donovan has written an entire book on the subject, I would imagine that not *all* of the info and little backstories and storylines may have made it into his newspaper's articles, which are short in comparison to a book. imo.

Read the Toronto Star article this morning written by Kevin Donovan. It appears that the TPS believes it will solve this case. The volume of data they have and the fact the Intelligence Unit is involved points to the complexity of the case.

What I find curious is the fact is the TPS is stating that the info provided by the Greenspan detectives was poor. “Some of the tips (provided by Greenspan’s team) appear to be incomplete or missing and required further follow up with the private investigators,” One would think that the Private investigators, who were retired TPS detectives, would be very complete and through.

Read the Toronto Star article this morning written by Kevin Donovan. It appears that the TPS believes it will solve this case. The volume of data they have and the fact the Intelligence Unit is involved points to the complexity of the case.

What I find curious is the fact is the TPS is stating that the info provided by the Greenspan detectives was poor. “Some of the tips (provided by Greenspan’s team) appear to be incomplete or missing and required further follow up with the private investigators,” One would think that the Private investigators, who were retired TPS detectives, would be very complete and through.
My guess is Greenspan purposely provided TPS with incomplete info as a means to monitor how well TPS was responding to them. If TPS didn't get back to him, he'd know they weren't taking his leads seriously.

Why would TPS make any comment about the Greenspan tips in its court filings? And why wouldn’t they have already followed up on these if there was more info required?
What is TPS doing to solve this case other than looking at 2 year old videos, and trying to prevent disclosure of documents that might make them look bad? And of course waiting for the book to come out- maybe the book will provide them with some clues as to what to investigate.......

deleted very angry blog directed at BS

Last edited:
So this court proceeding really had nothing to do with the case, it was about keeping information out of the hands of the public? So in other words, nothing new to report. What else is new?

Why would TPS make any comment about the Greenspan tips in its court filings? And why wouldn’t they have already followed up on these if there was more info required?
What is TPS doing to solve this case other than looking at 2 year old videos, and trying to prevent disclosure of documents that might make them look bad? And of course waiting for the book to come out- maybe the book will provide them with some clues as to what to investigate.......
Almost like the tricks politicians play.. ie instead of being confident and stating what you are GOING to do, they get in their digs about the other participants running..

Do we know if Honey promised to give her sister $300 million while she was alive?

The way it looks to me is Honey told her sister Barry was going to give her a certain amount of money. In discussion with sister, Honey commented that when Barry gave her this money, she would give her sister a certain amount. Just my feeling, but I don’t think Honey could go to Barry, tell him her sister needed money, and Barry would hand over that amount of money.

We have no idea what the amount discussed was. Does a couple in their mid sixties to seventies really need $300 million to live the rest of their lives on? Hmm, my thought is this is a much higher figure than Honey agreed to.JMO.

Also, with nothing in writing, the amount given will depend on the sister’s relationship with the Sherman children. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam