TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are consequences for being impulsive. Most of the murders I've seen are just that. Impulsive heat of the moment reactions. Does that make them less deadly and not deserving of punishment? Our society says NO. Just as it says ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Just as it says this LEO did not follow procedure and announce himself.
(My emphasis )

So true! Besides it’s a slippery slope: Next thing we know LE will be shoving suspects off roofs and then tasing them.

Oh wait this just happened...

Btw: thanks for your comment!

Defense attorney Jim Lane has not commented on Dean's arrest.

Merritt, the attorney for Jefferson's family, that her funeral will be open to the public. It will take place on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 2 p.m.

A wake will be held for Jefferson on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m.

Both services will be at The Potter's House of Dallas, Merritt said. It is located at 6777 W. Kiest Blvd in Dallas.
Funeral plans announced for Atatiana Jefferson

The nephew of the 28-year-old black woman fatally shot in her home by a white Fort Worth police officer over the weekend said his aunt drew a gun after hearing noises outside her house, according to an arrest warrant affidavit for the officer released Tuesday.

The details in the affidavit add weight to earlier accounts of the shooting from family members and city officials who said Atatiana Jefferson was trying to protect herself and the 8-year-old boy from what she thought was an intruder when she was killed early Saturday. The officer who shot Jefferson, Aaron Dean, resigned and was charged with murder on Monday.

[...]

But investigators did interview an officer who responded to the call with him. The officer, identified as C.A. Darch, told investigators Dean was standing between her and the house at the time of the shooting and that she could “only see Jefferson’s face” through the window when Dean opened fire, according to the affidavit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...w-gun-nephew-told-authorities/?outputType=amp

IMO these are going to be the key factors in a jury trial. There were two witnesses there. The first who was with AJ said they heard noises. He never indicated he or she heard or saw the police. The second who was with AD said she saw AJ’s face but never saw her gun and she herself has yet to indicate she perceived a threat.

I clearly posted "imo". I don't need a link.
U did, I apologize. I thought maybe you had seen or heard opinions from fellow officers which apparently another poster did hear on the radio. I have just been curious how other officers would have handled this call.
On a side note do you have an opinion as to why officer AD commanded AJ to show her hands if he could already see a gun in her hand? Do you think it would then have been reasonable to assume any other officer would have commanded her to drop her weapon?

We don't feel safe," angry crowds yelled to the city council members, including Mayor Betsy Price, just days after another shooting by Fort Worth police this year.

"Stop killing us," one man said."The wild wild West is back and out of control here in Fort Worth. Bad police officers are not going by policy to deescalate the situation. Instead they are notching their belts with killings."

"If you, officers, are afraid, get another profession," the man added.
9 police shootings leave Fort Worth residents feeling unsafe

U did, I apologize. I thought maybe you had seen or heard opinions from fellow officers which apparently another poster did hear on the radio. I have just been curious how other officers would have handled this call.
On a side note do you have an opinion as to why officer AD commanded AJ to show her hands if he could already see a gun in her hand? Do you think it would then have been reasonable to assume any other officer would have commanded her to drop her weapon?
Who knows. I think the proper procedure would have been to yell, Police, drop your weapon. But this guy didn't even identified himself as Police.

D
Who knows. I think the proper procedure would have been to yell, Police, drop your weapon. But this guy didn't even identified himself as Police.
I agree. However, even tho the police chief stated anyone who has seen that video has no doubt the officer responded inappropriately (paraphrase) this poster believes otherwise which means there are others who also disagree. I’m just trying to understand why that is because like it or not he’s still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and that other perspective will be brought up in court. Moo

IMO In answer to your side note, I would file that under "Excited Utterance"

I am really bothered by the idea that this is a justified shooting or a tragic accident. He is a trained police officer. He and the other responding officer broke policy and protocol. It WAS avoidable. The loyalty to the thin blue line is strong indeed. I'm glad the powers that be in FW did the right thing. Maybe if enough officers are held accountable this will stop happening so frequently.
My heart breaks for the victims in this situation. May they receive justice.

To those that dont like Lee Merritt, I submit he is a flawed human but what have you done lately to shine the light on racial injustice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie