Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately i cannot access it either, maybe later it will be available elsewhere, sorry just wanted to get a link out there.
I distinctly remember reading the whole article from the original link here, no paywall. But the Star's paywall is new. However, as originally noted, the only new thing in the piece was TPS getting more search warrants. Maybe the Sherman articles are now paywalled due to the book coming out.

Not really liking the way things are going here in Canada. Courts continually doing more and more to keep information away from the general public, and new organizations only giving news to those willing to pay for it. This isn't how a free society should run.

Not really liking the way things are going here in Canada. Courts continually doing more and more to keep information away from the general public, and new organizations only giving news to those willing to pay for it. This isn't how a free society should run.

were newspapers free in Canada? In the US you had to pay for your physical newspaper

were newspapers free in Canada? In the US you had to pay for your physical newspaper
We did, and we do,.. it used to be a nominal cost, with the newspapers' revenues coming from advertising, rather than token readership dollars. Too bad for them that they all seem to just regurgitate one another's stories, so the public ends up getting to read online at no charge at some point anyway. Maybe if they could consider just printing the facts instead of their opinions in many cases, or if they would publish all sides, rather than oppressing one side or another, people might be more willing to pay?

With newspapers you didn't have to buy a month at a time. You could buy only when there was something that interested you. Not possible under the current model.

The piece says nothing we haven't already read before. I feel as if these articles are just promos for Donovan's book.

Actually, I think this statement is new: "...Barry Sherman’s own will left his entire holdings to the couple’s four children — Lauren, Jonathon, Alexandra and Kaelen — along with instructions that the trustees of his estate could, if they wish, give financial payouts to the couple’s nieces and nephews..."

Notice the mention of nieces and nephews of Honey and Barry, but no reference to brothers or sisters of the couple - which would include MS

Last edited:
Actually, I think this statement is new: "...Barry Sherman’s own will left his entire holdings to the couple’s four children — Lauren, Jonathon, Alexandra and Kaelen — along with instructions that the trustees of his estate could, if they wish, give financial payouts to the couple’s nieces and nephews..."

Notice the mention of nieces and nephews of Honey and Barry, but no reference to brothers or sisters of the couple - which would include MS

And based on the wording of the quote from the article, are we to assume that Barry's will did NOT leave ANYTHING to Honey in the event he predeceased her?

IMO, they did spell it out, very clearly. BS left his money to his children, not to his wife.

This does not necessarily mean that Honey would be penniless. I would expect that Honey had substantial assets in her name alone, that she had access to and would been able to distribute as she saw fit. Most astute wealthy individuals, have substantial assets directly or indirectly in the wife's name as a matter of good financial planning.

With the demise of physical newspaper subscriptions people have gone to the on-line editions. Naturally, the papers have restricted what you can see if you don't pay for a subscription. Sometimes you're limited to so many views per week or month. There are various ways to circumvent that using overlay blockers or just viewing in a private window.

It's possible. It might also be that all their wealth was held jointly. If he died, she would retain it.

I believe that its been established that HS had to get money from BS, that she kept a drawer full of money for easy access and that she did not have her own 'share' of the assets. Perhaps it was given to her as a 'household allowance' or some such. BS was too stingy to let her have a clear run at the bank accounts or she was too flighty with money, one or the other. maybe a bit of both?

I'm not of the impression that it was 'what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine' attitude in their home. MOO

Last edited:
IMO, they did spell it out, very clearly. BS left his money to his children, not to his wife.

If that’s the case, and I’m not questioning it, then I have to infer that honey wasn’t killed to obtain access to barrys fortune, as the kids would have gotten the money upon Barry’s death as set out in the will. Or am I missing something here?

We had previous discussions about the wills. The following quote is from K. Donovan's article Dec. 12, 2018.

"Sources have told the Star that Barry’s will left everything to Honey if he died first; if she predeceased him, it divided the estimated $5-billion estate and control of Apotex between their four children, aged 28 to 43."

Where is Honey Sherman’s will? | The Star

I believe that its been established that HS had to get money from BS, that she kept a drawer full of money for easy access and that she did not have her own 'share' of the assets. Perhaps it was given to her as a 'household allowance' or some such. BS was too stingy to let her have a clear run at the bank accounts or she was too flighty with money, one or the other. maybe a bit of both?

I'm not of the impression that it was 'what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine' attitude in their home. MOO
Well, she was able to surprise him with a Lexus for his birthday, so she had to have access to some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23