Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

Rest in peace, Owen.

If this was suicide, his family, friends, and even his roommate must be beating themselves up, wondering if they missed something, but so often there isn't - everything seems fine, and then they're gone.

Body recovered from Willamette River in NW Portland believed to be missing UP student

So, so sorry to read this update.

Awaiting official confirmation, of course, but it sounds like his parents are resolved to this being OK.

This is one of two scenarios I thought likeliest, given the lack of sightings of him after his disappearance, coupled with his not wanting anyone to know where he was going or what his intentions were that night.

I had some hope when I heard about OK viewing train hopping videos and watching Into The Wild that he chose to seek out "fresh woods and pastures new," to quote Milton.

Unfortunately, it looks like he chose another course.

One which, sadly, is irreversible.

JMO.

Yes..very sad. :( Tears here.

That link..he draws cash out then turns his phone off then. Why?

''Investigators said he had withdrawn $150 from an ATM that night. His phone was also turned off around that time.''

Rest in peace, Owen.

If this was suicide, his family, friends, and even his roommate must be beating themselves up, wondering if they missed something, but so often there isn't - everything seems fine, and then they're gone.
I have been thinking of his roommate. Such an insightful, thoughtful, and caring young man to reach out to the parents when his gut told him something wasn’t right. I hope he isn’t too hard on himself.

Yes..very sad. :( Tears here.

That link..he draws cash out then turns his phone off then. Why?

''Investigators said he had withdrawn $150 from an ATM that night. His phone was also turned off around that time.''

Pure speculation, but my guess re: the phone is that once he had committed to his course of action, he turned his phone off to make sure that nothing/no one interrupted him.

Had he received a call from one of his parents or friends, it may have made him second-guess his decision.

OK had checked out already. He didn't want to look back.
He turned everything off, including his phone.

I do wonder what he did with that money.
He may have had something he wanted to do that night.
Maybe he wanted to go eat at an expensive restaurant, or go to a concert, or really, any number of things....

We'll likely never know the answer to the question of what he did with that money.

Tragic, needless, pointless loss of a young life full of promise.

JMO.

Last edited:
Now I wonder if watching "Into the Wild" and subscribing to the train-hopping YouTube channel was to throw everyone off the scent. There's a chance his body would not have been found, and everyone would have assumed that he'd be off Chris McCandless-style.

I have been thinking of his roommate. Such an insightful, thoughtful, and caring young man to reach out to the parents when his gut told him something wasn’t right. I hope he isn’t too hard on himself.

OK's roommate did absolutely everything right.

He also did everything he could.

My impression is he went way above and beyond in terms of looking out for OK.

There was just nothing he could do, really.

OK's roommate comported himself extremely well in what was also a very stressful and no doubt confusing situation for him, as well.

He showed a lot of maturity.
He's an impressive young man.
I hope the people around him tell him so.

JMO.

This is not the outcome I expected, and I am so very sad at this news.

Like others, I question why Owen took out $150 if he planned to end his life. I look forward to hearing the cause of death.

I know people have been killed for less, so I won’t assume this is a suicide at this point. JMO

RIP Owen.

This is not the outcome I expected, and I am so very sad at this news.

Like others, I question why Owen took out $150 if he planned to end his life. I look forward to hearing the cause of death.

I know people have been killed for less, so I won’t assume this is a suicide at this point. JMO

RIP Owen.

Man, this one really messed me up. I was really hoping for a better outcome. I’m so sorry for all his family and friends and anyone else who he touched in his too short life. Mostly I’m sorry that Owen is gone way too soon.

I’m going to wait for the autopsy report before making any decisions on cause of death. I don’t understand the group text messaging when he was walking down the street and no one coming forward regarding it. Everything I’ve read he seemed like an extremely caring, kind and loving young man.

He gave the money away, is my guess. He was thoughtful, he wouldn't need it, so why not pass it along to someone who would. Initially I thought he might send it to a friend, but am thinking he gave it to one of the many homeless people around St. Johns, or left it someplace for someone to find by accident.

Some are trying to make logical sense out of this, but unless you are suicidal or have been, you won't get it.

Very sad.

We deal with the information we are given, but I think we often don't really get the state of mind of the missing person. Divulging "negative" information on a missing person is not helpful to finding someone. Don't know if that was the case here though.

Rest in peace Owen.

He gave the money away, is my guess. He was thoughtful, he wouldn't need it, so why not pass it along to someone who would. Initially I thought he might send it to a friend, but am thinking he gave it to one of the many homeless people around St. Johns, or left it someplace for someone to find by accident.

Some are trying to make logical sense out of this, but unless you are suicidal or have been, you won't get it.

Great post. I never considered this.

I think you are right.

This is just heartbreaking :( My heart and prayers are with his family. I hope autopsy/tox reports will help to find out if this was intentional or not and if it was suicide. I am thinking IF it was intentional and by his own decision, that it's possible that he withdrew funds to do an act of kindness, help someone or possibly even donate to the church. Perhaps he even talked with a priest at some point - either that night or prior, if he was struggling. I know our priest responds rapidly when needed. I am a bit shaken by this as he looks like such a kind soul and I feel like he had such a bright future :(

I have an odd suspicion it wasn't suicide. I think either someone saw him withdraw the money from the ATM and it was a robbery gone wrong or he withdrew the money to purchase something (possibly drugs) or help someone in a jam and something went wrong. I read the police were asking people in the area of the trimet video if they had cameras to review them but I wonder if they followed cameras from the areas near the ATM. (And have they looked at any cameras near the bridge?).
I also think that may be the reason they still haven't "officially" reported it is him. That could mean the cause of death leads in another direction and they don't want to tip their hand yet. Maybe they needed a little more time to investigate or follow new leads and the family felt bad about everyone searching so they put out the statement about them "believing" it is Owen. They would know by now if it is. So there's a reason they're not saying for certain. Another thing to look at is if he withdrew ALL of the money from his account. If he were getting ready to jump I think he would have and done something good with it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back