Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

I have an odd suspicion it wasn't suicide. I think either someone saw him withdraw the money from the ATM and it was a robbery gone wrong or he withdrew the money to purchase something (possibly drugs) or help someone in a jam and something went wrong. I read the police were asking people in the area of the trimet video if they had cameras to review them but I wonder if they followed cameras from the areas near the ATM. (And have they looked at any cameras near the bridge?).
I also think that may be the reason they still haven't "officially" reported it is him. That could mean the cause of death leads in another direction and they don't want to tip their hand yet. Maybe they needed a little more time to investigate or follow new leads and the family felt bad about everyone searching so they put out the statement about them "believing" it is Owen. They would know by now if it is. So there's a reason they're not saying for certain.
Good point!

Yes..very sad. :( Tears here.

That link..he draws cash out then turns his phone off then. Why?

''Investigators said he had withdrawn $150 from an ATM that night. His phone was also turned off around that time.''

Perhaps he bought materials to aid in the suicide. Perhaps he was considering some other option (besides jumping into the water). It's also possible it wasn't suicide (although I think all signs point to it). The mystery to me is that he apparently left cash at the dorm. Maybe he intended to take it, but forgot. If he was in fact trying to keep his whereabouts and plans a secret, and his plans were suicide, he was really preoccupied.

I am waiting for more news. Apparently the bridge area doesn't have cameras, so we may never know. But are the bluffs high and steep enough for a person to jump directly into the water?

Poor kid. My heart breaks. I hope his parents realize that these situations are so, so complex and hidden. Suicidal persons go out of their way to hide it, even from helpers and therapists.

I have an odd suspicion it wasn't suicide. I think either someone saw him withdraw the money from the ATM and it was a robbery gone wrong or he withdrew the money to purchase something (possibly drugs) or help someone in a jam and something went wrong. I read the police were asking people in the area of the trimet video if they had cameras to review them but I wonder if they followed cameras from the areas near the ATM. (And have they looked at any cameras near the bridge?).
I also think that may be the reason they still haven't "officially" reported it is him. That could mean the cause of death leads in another direction and they don't want to tip their hand yet. Maybe they needed a little more time to investigate or follow new leads and the family felt bad about everyone searching so they put out the statement about them "believing" it is Owen. They would know by now if it is. So there's a reason they're not saying for certain. Another thing to look at is if he withdrew ALL of the money from his account. If he were getting ready to jump I think he would have and done something good with it.
I believe his parents said at one point he had access to larger sums.

Perhaps he bought materials to aid in the suicide. Perhaps he was considering some other option (besides jumping into the water). It's also possible it wasn't suicide (although I think all signs point to it). The mystery to me is that he apparently left cash at the dorm. Maybe he intended to take it, but forgot. If he was in fact trying to keep his whereabouts and plans a secret, and his plans were suicide, he was really preoccupied.

I am waiting for more news. Apparently the bridge area doesn't have cameras, so we may never know. But are the bluffs high and steep enough for a person to jump directly into the water?

Poor kid. My heart breaks. I hope his parents realize that these situations are so, so complex and hidden. Suicidal persons go out of their way to hide it, even from helpers and therapists.
I recall them saying he did NOT have cash left at his dorm?

I also think that may be the reason they still haven't "officially" reported it is him. That could mean the cause of death leads in another direction and they don't want to tip their hand yet. Maybe they needed a little more time to investigate or follow new leads and the family felt bad about everyone searching so they put out the statement about them "believing" it is Owen. They would know by now if it is. So there's a reason they're not saying for certain. Another thing to look at is if he withdrew ALL of the money from his account. If he were getting ready to jump I think he would have and done something good with it.
No disrespect, but are you from St. Johns? If you aren't, you wouldn't know how many people take their lives on that bridge, by their own fruition. Loved, promising, accomplished, highly-educated were some in the last year alone. They should install a barrier to prevent people from jumping, like they did on the Vista Bridge not long ago. It might save lives. Sometimes just interrupting the action is enough.

Yeah so wouldn't you think he would have withdrawn more if he were getting ready to end it?
If someone (esp younger person) was handing out hundreds it’d be enough to tip anyone off. Maybe he wanted to be more discreet.

No disrespect, but are you from St. Johns? If you aren't, you wouldn't know how many people take their lives on that bridge, by their own fruition. Loved, promising, accomplished, highly-educated were some in the last year alone. They should install a barrier to prevent people from jumping, like they did on the Vista Bridge not long ago. It might save lives. Sometimes just interrupting the action is enough.
I totally agree with you. I have several friends who live right beside it and I have spent a lot of time there for the past 20 years. There's just something about this one that feels like it's different. It's horrible either way. But if someone did do this TO him I hope the police do everything they can to catch them!

+1. Where I live we have a similar problem bridge that they won’t add barriers or nets to to stop the suicides. It’s gotten to a point where it’s more than ten per year and there are no helpline signs either. So many people seem to think that this is the answer to their problems, but there is SO much more life left to live and so many things worth living for. If anyone viewing this thread is in need of help or contemplating taking their own life, please call 1-800-273-8255 if you’re in the US; if you need LGBTQ specific help please call 1-866-488-7386.

N

The bluffs aren't tall or sheer enough, but everyone in Portland knows the bridge is lethal, sadly. Owen was from Portland. It makes me so sad people view it as that. Obviously, it makes me saddest that people want to end their lives.

His family seems to have accepted that the body recovered is Owen. They're asking people in Portland to take down his missing posters if they see one.
Find Owen Klinger

BBM After breakfast yesterday downtown, I wanted to see how many flyers were still around, so I drove up Interstate Ave by the Moda Center to Rosa Parks and then out to the UP campus, down to Cathedral Park and then back up to St. Johns. I remember where all the flyers were on the route I took.

I can't get over there until Saturday but if anyone on here that's local can get to them this week, I saw one at Skidmore and Interstate (NE corner), half a dozen or so right by campus along Willamette, one at the entrance to Cathedral Park (by the parking lot under the bridge), one at the Cathedral Park boat ramp , and then several along Smith, between Charleston and N. Columbia Way.

Last edited:
My heart goes out to his family and friends. This is such a loss. His parents raised a fine young man who was a good friend to many. Even strangers like us were touched by him and are grieving for him. May it comfort them to know that we care and wish them peace.

Statement from the University

The University of Portland released a statement about Klinger on Monday night:

“Based upon conversations with family representatives and law enforcement, the University joins the Klinger family in their belief that Owen, their son and our community member, has died. An official statement from the Multnomah County Medical Examiner’s Office confirming Owen’s death is forthcoming. Owen’s family has requested privacy at this time. May we all pray for Owen’s eternal rest, for consolation for his family and friends, and for abiding hope within our University community.”

Parents believe body found in river near St. Johns Bridge is Owen Klinger

Hmm.. I don’t like this. I’m sure the assumption for the most part right now is suicide, and that’s definitely an option, but I have had two friends commit suicide from the St. John’s bridge and both were found within a day... like I get that rivers are unpredictable, but for him to be right there 15 days later and for no one to have seen anything till now seems odd.
What is the attraction to St. John's Bridge for suicide jumpers? Is it high? Is the water shallow? Rocky? IMO I still don't think the facts add up to suicide though.

What is the attraction to St. John's Bridge for suicide jumpers? Is it high? Is the water shallow? Rocky? IMO I still don't think the facts add up to suicide though.

The St Johns bridge is very tall and it has easy pedestrian access and sidewalks. I think the Vista bridge is the same way.

The other super tall bridge in Portland is the Fremont Bridge but it's on a freeway so pedestrian access is much harder to achieve.

ETA I forgot the very tall Marquam Bridge, on I5. Also no easy pedestrian access.

ETA #2 According to wikipedia the St Johns bridge has 205 feet of clearance underneath, making it the tallest of the other three I mentioned.

Last edited:
It's like the Golden Gate bridge, people know it is deadly. It's high. Frankly this feels a bit like gallows discussion. It's heartbreaking for everyone left behind.

It's premature to speculate so much (it hasn't been even officially confirmed that it is Owen that they found) until more info becomes available; there are so many theories flying around. Owen, if that was indeed you, rest in peace, buddy, my heart goes out to your family and friends. My son is a UP classmate. You can tell them to be careful, make wise choices, but bottom line is, we are not there, and the hope is that they have a good circle of people around them, and they make the right choices. Tell them you love and support them, and you're a call or text away if they need or want to talk about something.
I just don't support the suicide theory, and we may never know, but let's wait a bit for more news.

It's premature to speculate so much (it hasn't been even officially confirmed that it is Owen that they found) until more info becomes available; there are so many theories flying around. Owen, if that was indeed you, rest in peace, buddy, my heart goes out to your family and friends. My son is a UP classmate. You can tell them to be careful, make wise choices, but bottom line is, we are not there, and the hope is that they have a good circle of people around them, and they make the right choices. Tell them you love and support them, and you're a call or text away if they need or want to talk about something.
I just don't support the suicide theory, and we may never know, but let's wait a bit for more news.
It's not a "suicide theory". It behooves people to be aware this happens, even in the best of families. Owen's parents would not have made a statement if they weren't sure it was him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back