UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, why would anyone think they could be transported in this?

Usually these trucks are sealed at location pick up. Would be good to know if the seal was on before he opened the doors.

Evil trafficking gangs 'have used same route used by Essex lorry for years'

'Tony Smith, the former head of Border Force, said they will have used safe houses across Europe.

He said: "It’s very unusual on two fronts. Firstly it appears to be a sealed container which is very, very dangerous and very unusual.'

So if it was sealed it's unlikely to have been subject to any checks on route. I guess such as in this instance, it being refrigerated, opening and closing would affect the temperature control and if the food subsequently spoiled there would be a potential claim.

I read that first an ambulance was called and they called the police. I suspect the driver had no idea.

T get a conviction for the driver they're going to have to prove (a) that he knew the victims were in the back and (b) that he did something which caused the deaths, or deliberately didn't do something that would have saved them. I'm not convinced they will be able to. I wonder if the arrest is a move to pressurise him into telling the police info that could lead them to the organisers (who are definitely culpable)?

The arrest of the driver and searching his house is a formality to ensure the police can get as much information as possible. Someone asked him to collect the container and there would be some sort of documentation of this..

I thought he was claiming he's innocent.

He is. But at the same time, someone opened that trailer and called for help basically as soon as he parked. Otherwise, he pulled into a known "smuggling" route, parked in an out of the way area, and jetted out of there, leaving the entire rig behind, and someone else pretty much immediately opened it up.

On that note, I honestly dont know what to think. Protesting innocence is common with criminals, we do know that much.

JMO.

I've veered from "terrible man, lock him up and throw away the key" to "oh my word, poor fella, how horrific finding all those bodies" to "erm... why was he opening the doors?"

Did he know they were in there and was supposed to let them jump out and run off? I'm not sure why else he'd be opening the doors? Was there a bad smell and he got suspicious? Did someone instruct him to open the doors at that time and in that place? Wouldn't an industrial estate have CCTV everywhere?

So many questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members