SPAIN - Daniel, 46, & Liam Poole, 22, British tourists, Estepona, Malaga, 1 Apr 2019

I 100% agree with you Lauryn, I just wonder why a MOTHER would do such a thing. For the people wondering why I follow this case; I actually care, I live just up the road from Marbella and this story struck me. I would be lying if I said that some of the behaviour around the case hadn't piqued my interest. I'm no angel, I'm sure I have gone through times where this could have been me, or something similar, but it was incredibly obvious from the start that these men were not on 'holiday'. I'm also not 100% convinced that I would tell my sister everything that I would tell my mum. Just my opinion but that's what the internet is about.

<modsnip>

Also, I tell my sister a hell of a lot more than I tell my mom and in my opinion most people do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I 100% agree with you Lauryn, I just wonder why a MOTHER would do such a thing. For the people wondering why I follow this case; I actually care, I live just up the road from Marbella and this story struck me. I would be lying if I said that some of the behaviour around the case hadn't piqued my interest. I'm no angel, I'm sure I have gone through times where this could have been me, or something similar, but it was incredibly obvious from the start that these men were not on 'holiday'. I'm also not 100% convinced that I would tell my sister everything that I would tell my mum. Just my opinion but that's what the internet is about.

If you read, I said that my brother didn’t have a viable relationship with my mum, she’s actually dying from her fight with alcohol addiction, with mental health problems also and my brother hadn’t lived with her since he was in his teens.
He definitely didn’t tell her more than he would me, I know that because of the nature of their relationship. He’d seen her for the first time in YEARS in December because she was dying in hospital. He went missing in March. That’s why this speculation can’t even be based on their understanding of Liam as a person! My nan saw him as regularly as a nan would who isn’t local, family occasions that kind of thing. But my mum hadn’t seen him for years, not since their ‘relationship’ began again in December, even then she was deemed as brain damaged with no capacity (at that time).
I’ve not hid that it wasn’t a holiday. I’ve never stated it was a holiday it was just a statement in which was made by police probably to prevent this kind of speculation from the beginning but definitely not a statement from the immediate family.
Exactly! Your comment about why would a mother do that is the exact point!
Us children haven’t been in her care my dad bought us up, I moved out in 2015 when I was still in school, Liam was a few years before and my younger brother was shortly after me, her youngest son isn’t deemed fit to live with her full time.
I say the words moved out, my dad and mother had joint custody, when we moved out we were solely in my dads care.
This is the exact reason for my frustration! The fact that Liams belongings even went to her and my nan was beyond me!

This isn’t to bad mouth anyone this is to give context, it’s from an unreliable source, and above is my justification.

If you read, I said that my brother didn’t have a viable relationship with my mum, she’s actually dying from her fight with alcohol addiction, with mental health problems also and my brother hadn’t lived with her since he was in his teens.
He definitely didn’t tell her more than he would me, I know that because of the nature of their relationship. He’d seen her for the first time in YEARS in December because she was dying in hospital. He went missing in March. That’s why this speculation can’t even be based on their understanding of Liam as a person! My nan saw him as regularly as a nan would who isn’t local, family occasions that kind of thing. But my mum hadn’t seen him for years, not since their ‘relationship’ began again in December, even then she was deemed as brain damaged with no capacity (at that time).
I’ve not hid that it wasn’t a holiday. I’ve never stated it was a holiday it was just a statement in which was made by police probably to prevent this kind of speculation from the beginning but definitely not a statement from the immediate family.
Us children haven’t been in her care my dad bought us up, I moved out in 2015 when I was still in school, Liam was a few years before and my younger brother was shortly after me, her youngest son isn’t deemed fit to live with her full time.
I say the words moved out, my dad and mother had joint custody, when we moved out we were solely in my dads care.
This is the exact reason for my frustration! The fact that Liams belongings even went to her and my nan was beyond me!

This isn’t to bad mouth anyone this is to give context, it’s from an unreliable source, and above is my justification.
Hugs Lauren. If you want to talk about your frustrations online, that's great, but I'd add that you don't owe an explanation to any unkind anonymous posters on the internet. You're not responsible for why they're like that, they're not your problem to fix. If all you do is stay loyal and care about the people who love you, that's more than enough.

Hugs Lauren. If you want to talk about your frustrations online, that's great, but I'd add that you don't owe an explanation to any unkind anonymous posters on the internet. You're not responsible for why they're like that, they're not your problem to fix. If all you do is stay loyal and care about the people who love you, that's more than enough.
I know this :(
Thank you, it’s hard sometimes I just want people to understand my perspective.
I’m just trying my best and I don’t want to be perceived as dishonest when I’m trying my hardest to give people the appropriate information that I can, aswell as preventing damage to the investigation. thank you so much x

There is now a lot more to this story.... it's hard to understand as the family seems torn apart....
I know this :(
Thank you, it’s hard sometimes I just want people to understand my perspective.
I’m just trying my best and I don’t want to be perceived as dishonest when I’m trying my hardest to give people the appropriate information that I can, aswell as preventing damage to the investigation. thank you so much x
Ofcourse your trying hard and being totally honest but when there is an investigation remember you couldn't possibly worry about damaging an investigation because they could be investigating things about their life which you or anyone might not be aware of , (through investigation) you have given what you know so the investigation would be out of your hands.

There is now a lot more to this story.... it's hard to understand as the family seems torn apart....

Ofcourse your trying hard and being totally honest but when there is an investigation remember you couldn't possibly worry about damaging an investigation because they could be investigating things about their life which you or anyone might not be aware of , (through investigation) you have given what you know so the investigation would be out of your hands.
I imagine the police will have advised CLOSE family members regarding what information can and cannot be shared publicly, which could potentially be detrimental to the investigation. It makes absolute sense to me that anyone caring for their wellbeing would follow those instructions.

That's truly awful Lauryn. I'm sorry that you don't seem to have been given a break at all. I'm also gobsmacked by the behavior of his 'other family' I really hope that you manage to find answers, nobody is perfect, and nobody deserves to disappear without a trace.

For the record, I never disbelieved you, it was just difficult to help search for someone when the police etc. were purposefully withholding very important information - but I guess now we all know why.

All my love!

That's truly awful Lauryn. I'm sorry that you don't seem to have been given a break at all. I'm also gobsmacked by the behavior of his 'other family' I really hope that you manage to find answers, nobody is perfect, and nobody deserves to disappear without a trace.

For the record, I never disbelieved you, it was just difficult to help search for someone when the police etc. were purposefully withholding very important information - but I guess now we all know why.

All my love!
Thank you for understanding! Xx

Hopefully any potentially negative perception of the missing father and son, will not cause people to stop looking for and helping to find them. imo, speculation.
HuffPost is now part of Verizon Media
5daecc95210000ad1e34aa97.png

PA
Daniel and Liam Poole went missing in Malaga six months ago
"While in Estepona, Catney visited bars and asked them to display posters featuring photos of the missing men.

She was rebuffed by one business.

“The barman, when I showed him the poster, he said he’d seen them and that they were both ‘wrong ‘uns’, and that just upset me,” she said."

"British and Spanish police continue to investigate the disappearance of the two men.

Members of the public can report information online or by calling 101 quoting Operation Pheasant."

ADMIN NOTE:

Some posts containing insider information have been removed pending receipt of an application for VI status.

Please do not discuss the removed posts. They can be reinstated once verification has been applied for and approved.

Thanks for your understanding.

<modsnip>

I’ve not disagreed with the speculation of drug involvement.
You can not use a persons life from 10 years ago to make statements to why they are missing now when that evidence isn’t relevant to now.
If It was then police would be doing the same thing.
I wasn’t disowned I fought back, and they didn’t like it, it seems you (plural) can understand why, so no need to explain myself here.
I don’t want this thread gone!
Such finer things have happened from this, flyers, building pages, the Lucie Blackman trust and the correct advice I’ve received from solicitors and people through my email has come from here from people with experience. I will not let a few negatives change my experience because you’ve helped more than the negative press release to say the least.

<modsnip>

<modsnip>

I’ve not disagreed with the speculation of drug involvement.
You can not use a persons life from 10 years ago to make statements to why they are missing now when that evidence isn’t relevant to now.
If It was then police would be doing the same thing.
I wasn’t disowned I fought back, and they didn’t like it, it seems you (plural) can understand why, so no need to explain myself here.
I don’t want this thread gone!
Such finer things have happened from this, flyers, building pages, the Lucie Blackman trust and the correct advice I’ve received from solicitors and people through my email has come from here from people with experience. I will not let a few negatives change my experience because you’ve helped more than the negative press release to say the least.

<modsnip>

We got you @Laurynpoole xx

Okay folks ... a few posts have been removed.

The goal here is to help find what has happened to Daniel and Liam. Stick to discussing the facts of the case, not the family dynamics.

Although somewhat interesting, all this airing of family issues is not productive in any way and Websleuths is certainly not the venue for it.

IMO, the only possibly relevant historical info is Daniel's history of criminal activity. This is in no way intended to disparage him, but solely to consider whether it may have a bearing on his and Liam's disappearance.

Let’s update with some new information:

My dad was convicted for drugs, I believe cannabis, in 1996 when Liam was born and that is the last known drug conviction my dad had since.
My dad has a past with drug use/supply and demand up until us children were born.

As for then I am not aware of my dad being on the end of supply and demand for drugs, BUT that’s not to say I just didn’t know, however;

My dad has a paint shop that done well, and still continue to do so as other than my work I’d have no way of being able to afford to look after myself brother and a 3 bedroom rented house.
We went on holiday once a year, had food on the table and a roof over our heads, my dad drove an Audi nothing worth more than £8000 so I’ve been told, and we have nothing here to suggest any worth. No designer clothes, watches/ jewellery, our house is not richly furnished.
In fact very little investment to show we lived any kind of plush drug fuelled existence.

It seems dad had some debt, we have collectors coming to us but nothing in the tens of thousands, so nothing huge in the grand scheme of things, but the point is, debt in which would not resonate with a person who was selling drugs.

For Christmas we didn’t have lots of money. Us children weren’t spoilt at all.

That’s not to say that drugs wasn’t a motivation for their trip/disappearance.
What I am saying is that I’m not aware of this life being Fuelled by drugs at all. We lived a fairly normal life in which I would say was no more fuelled than by profit from his paint works business.

Only other conviction of his in my life time would be GBH and not relevant to the investigation, IF you would even consider his last conviction is relevant to now anyway.

I think we are all in agreement that there is a likely hood for a criminal element/motivation for their trip and disappearance.
However,
We can not sit here and say for sure when we have 0 evidence to show that it was.
We could make up a story based on this theory. But the problem with this puzzle is that there is too many missing pieces.

Police have statements, all to the lead up with more information than what I have said on a PUBLIC forum.
I believe some things should be kept for their safety and my own, some bits I would say are significant but the problem being is there again is no evidence to suggest it is.

I hope that this helps. I’m not justifying, But as an admin had said above, I have added relevant history to be considered.

Thank you for the clear up of this thread and keeping me safe x

Last edited:
I think the fact that the previous commenters didn't get verified, for whatever reason, speaks volumes.

I do try to help. No-one I work with had heard about this. They have now, of course, but it gives you an idea of coverage. I have shared a lot of the initial posts.

Knowing Marbella, the police would have been better of being upfront about the drugs link. This could be a 20 year old ridiculous vendetta but in Marbella it matters, it's not the UK and the police are not all white. Had they been upfront, the RIGHT people might have been looking.

There is, and has been, very little in Spanish about Daniel and Liam. The expat papers rehash, in English, what is released in the UK, often getting it wrong. One messed up who was actually your mum and who was your nan.

I don't mean to come across combative but realise I can.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back