Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the report says "found blood" not "found human blood" - I assume if it was a positive test for human blood, they would have noticed.

I asked this because there are a few reports of bones but they aren't sure what they are from ("human femur?")

It wouldn't be unusual to take food on the trail even if you were only planning to hike for a few hours and were ignoring the ten essentials. Trail mix, a granola bar, etc.

RBBM

You are absolutely correct. And so he should, just in case.

Since he had just had breakfast with his wife and was going to return in a short 2 hours, I meant it was unlikely he packed a lunch or something that needed a cold pack. My comment was in reference to whether the cold pack found on the trail would have been his.

Page 5 of OP 6 shows the black shorts on a map, so they couldn't have been found in February. That's strange that it's labelled like that on the data I received.

From reading documents and looking at the online map, it's apparent that not all of the searchers or teams carried or wore GPS tracking devices.

I did this video last July at the one year mark of Paul’s disappearance as a remembrance. No information really, I wanted to be there at about the time Paul would have been there so I could check out possible sites for Neil’s rock. JTHiker
Your videos are so valuable in helping us figure out where we can pinpoint Paul's location. THANK YOU for keeping Paul in the forefront, and for being such a great person to go out there looking. THANK YOU. One day, we will find him.

RBBM

You are absolutely correct. And so he should, just in case.

Since he had just had breakfast with his wife and was going to return in a short 2 hours, I meant it was unlikely he packed a lunch or something that needed a cold pack. My comment was in reference to whether the cold pack found on the trail would have been his.

I don't remember if he had a Camelbak or other water bladder, then it could have been his. I would guess much of this stuff is just junk that hikers/campers leave behind, unfortunately.

Searched yesterday and added some new tracks to the map. The western area is relatively fast travel, and we reached it quickly after leaving the trail a little below the trail crest. From the highest point, I saw rock formations near Indian Cove but did not see the road. The outsole brand doesn't match Paul Miller's, and it was in an area where search and rescue had passed through last year. The cairn was in the SW area of my track.

Attachments

• 20191006_101834.jpg
    20191006_101834.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20191006_112504_resized.jpg
    20191006_112504_resized.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 136
Searched yesterday and added some new tracks to the map. The western area is relatively fast travel, and we reached it quickly after leaving the trail a little below the trail crest. From the highest point, I saw rock formations near Indian Cove but did not see the road. The outsole brand doesn't match Paul Miller's, and it was in an area where search and rescue had passed through last year. The cairn was in the SW area of my track.
Great work. I have to get my tracks to you.

We've never had corroborating evidence that he actually got to the parking lot in his car to begin the hike. IMO he never drove to the trailhead, and the story is not about going missing in a baking desert.

You comment is not true. There was a witness who saw Paul on the trail. The witness contacted LE and the family, who both believe that his account is accurate.

"There was one witness who told officials he saw a man matching Miller’s description that morning on the trail and Robinson said they were recently able to talk to him as well.

"The witness told the family he was coming off the trail when he passed Miller, who was about halfway in, going the opposite direction of the witness. The witness also told the family that, when in his car leaving, he saw another group of about four people coming in."

'One second at a time': Missing Joshua Tree hiker's wife talks of year without answers, clues

Last edited:
I did another search today and added a track to the map. Do the sticks look natural or placed by a human? This was a very deep zoom, and I held my camera steady on a rock. These sticks were near the bottom of what looked like a crevice or crack I believe. This slope was shaded at the time.

The skull is probably some kind of small animal's. Not sure what the black stuff is. The burrowing owl was a fun surprise. It was still as a statue as I walked by it. The camera had difficulty with the low light.

Attachments

• DSC00275.JPG
    DSC00275.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 20191027_162743.jpg
    20191027_162743.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 20191027_150308.jpg
    20191027_150308.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00278.JPG
    DSC00278.JPG