UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I load refrigerated trailers in my work on a daily basis and we send goods to EU countries.

The seals we use are literally thin strips of plastic that a child could break open. Some drivers dont even bother putting them on for loads they're tipping again in UK. They are chucked all over the floor outside our office.

Paperwork is sometimes put in the back for drivers who will be swapping over at some point to ensure it doesn't go missing.

I'm not an expert here, but set point, i.e. the target temperature can be altered easily on the outside of the trailer. For example, a chilled load is normally set between 0 and 2 degrees. However, product being sent to a freezer maybe -20 degrees. We later the temperatures regularly ourselves. Say on a particularly hot day we may load chilled product at -5 to counteract the warm air when the trailer comes off the bay to have the doors locked.

An engineer can also download the thermal recordings from a truck to show how long and what temperatures the trailer has been running at. It is common practice for my company to request these reading from hauliers if we have had a temperature rejection from a customer as it proves the load was loaded and ran to the customer within their specifications.

I load refrigerated trailers in my work on a daily basis and we send goods to EU countries.

The seals we use are literally thin strips of plastic that a child could break open. Some drivers dont even bother putting them on for loads they're tipping again in UK. They are chucked all over the floor outside our office.

Paperwork is sometimes put in the back for drivers who will be swapping over at some point to ensure it doesn't go missing.

I'm not an expert here, but set point, i.e. the target temperature can be altered easily on the outside of the trailer. For example, a chilled load is normally set between 0 and 2 degrees. However, product being sent to a freezer maybe -20 degrees. We later the temperatures regularly ourselves. Say on a particularly hot day we may load chilled product at -5 to counteract the warm air when the trailer comes off the bay to have the doors locked.

An engineer can also download the thermal recordings from a truck to show how long and what temperatures the trailer has been running at. It is common practice for my company to request these reading from hauliers if we have had a temperature rejection from a customer as it proves the load was loaded and ran to the customer within their specifications.
So glad to have you here! Would it be common for "empty" reefer trailers to be shipped back to you with the refrigeration turned off? Seems like it wouldn't be very economical to send an empty trailer across several countries? I ask because I'm guessing this trailer wasn't turned on for the entire 10 hours it was on the ferry, it would be bad business to freeze your cargo and I suppose they took the most basic precautions to keep them alive (though they failed to consider oxygen...).

Thank you ... I had a feeling I had seen the image before ... do we think Chillbox are at all related?
Refrigeration firm "Chill Box" ...

The freight unit where the bodies were found was rented from a firm called GTR Trailer Rental Solutions and parked between three warehouses, one for a refrigeration firm called Chill Box; the other for GFS Car Parts and the third Southern Drains.

Essex lorry deaths: Police probe suspected Irish people-smuggling ring after 39 migrants found frozen to death

Human smugglers probably lock the door to prevent people from escaping. We know that the victims of this and previous tragedies tried hard to open the door from the inside.

I recall the Aug 2015 Hyza truck door was secured by wrapping wire several times.

So glad to have you here! Would it be common for "empty" reefer trailers to be shipped back to you with the refrigeration turned off? Seems like it wouldn't be very economical to send an empty trailer across several countries? I ask because I'm guessing this trailer wasn't turned on for the entire 10 hours it was on the ferry, it would be bad business to freeze your cargo and I suppose they took the most basic precautions to keep them alive (though they failed to consider oxygen...).

If a trailer is empty the fridge wouldn't be switched on. It has to filled with diesel similar to the cab, so would be a complete waste of money to leave on. The trailer can be run from electric as well by plugging a socket into the trailer. We do this as it's much quieter than running on diesel and we have residential property very close to our site. Most hauliers try to get local business from their drop off points to avoid running back empty. Or maybe do a deal with another haulier who has work going the other way so they can use the same trailer both ways.

Human smugglers probably lock the door to prevent people from escaping. We know that the victims of this and previous tragedies tried hard to open the door from the inside.

I recall the Aug 2015 Hyza truck door was secured by wrapping wire several times.

Once an artic trailer is shut there is no way out. The doors are smooth similar to the insulated sides of the truck and there is heavy plastic seals to stop any air escaping. If a trailer has been running on frozen it is hard to open the back doors. There's like a release of pressure as you do it as the trapped air comes back out. Hope this helps

Once an artic trailer is shut there is no way out. The doors are smooth similar to the insulated sides of the truck and there is heavy plastic seals to stop any air escaping. If a trailer has been running on frozen it is hard to open the back doors. There's like a release of pressure as you do it as the trapped air comes back out. Hope this helps
Thank you for explaining how these refrigerated trailers operate.

Perhaps there could be a manual handle in the future, just in case anyone is trapped inside.

#Breaking #brexit Stands in the way of Britain's biggest murder investigation...Irish #Garda are expected to execute a EAR(European Arrest Warrant)on Wednesday in relation to the discovery of 39 bodies in Essex this week.After 31'Oct it won't apply..

Padraig O'Reilly Photographer on Twitter

Wasn't Brexit just postponed again?

28 October 2019

Maurice “Mo” Robinson, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon in Northern Ireland, is due to appear via videolink at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Lorry driver charged over Essex migrant deaths to appear in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member