Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUMTER MYSTERY COUPLE....WHO ARE THEY?
980021755632381b43ded286eabbc990

Composite courtesy of Carl Koppelman
CLUES:
1. The John Doe was wearing a linde star ring with the initials "JPF" inscribed in it.
2. The John Doe had a pack of matches from "Grant's" truck stop. There are three Grant's truck stops in the US; (York, NE), (Lupton, AZ) and (boise, ID).
3. A mechanic in York, NE stated he thought he had worked on a van with WA or OR plates that matched the couple's description.
4. The Jane Doe has two distinctive moles on her left cheek.
5. The John Doe had a "1975 IMSA( International Motor Sports Association) Camel GT" shirt from the 1975 IMSA Sebring race in Florida. This shirt was only sold at the Florida Sebring race. Some people have speculated that the John Doe might have a connection to IMSA racing. In fact, the weekend the couple was murdered there was an IMSA race at Talladega Motor Speedway. It be might be possible they attended the race and were on their way back home.

Last edited:
Following on from a post on the last thread where someone says "I haven't been able to find an exact match for John Doe's watch", and speculation regarding possible counterfeits, I present the following, which I found in literally 30 seconds after doing a Google image search for "Bulova Accutron 1972": acccutron.jpg

Looks like the same watch (same day/date display, tuning fork logo & "Accutron" on the left hand side of the dial, same raised non-numeric hour markers), apart from being in 10K gold rather than stainless steel; the quality of the image on the NAMUS website is so low it obscures a lot of detail (it's very low resolution with significant compression artifacts and looks like an nth generation copy of something taken with an early digital camera or scanned at a resolution appropriate for dialup connections).

Last edited:
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6
"Danny Burritt, around 23 years old at the time. As it turns out he was quite popular and in 1973 won the race and received, essentially, a trip to Europe as part of his prize. I’ve done a little searching for him to find out if he’s alive, well, missing, and haven’t found much. He was involved in an accident during the first race he participated in upon arriving back from Europe. (74/75 I can’t recall) Other than that I’ve not found much about him. Something else came up and I just haven’t had the time." I think this guy is still alive and can be ruled out according to this article from 2018: https://www.wheels.ca/news/old-racers-share-fond-memories-of-1970s-bulova-series/

I
Following on from a post on the last thread where someone says "I haven't been able to find an exact match for John Doe's watch", and speculation regarding possible counterfeits, I present the following, which I found in literally 30 seconds after doing a Google image search for "Bulova Accutron 1972": View attachment 210345

Looks like the same watch (same day/date display, tuning fork logo & "Accutron" on the left hand side of the dial, same raised non-numeric hour markers), apart from being in 10K gold rather than stainless steel; the quality of the image on the NAMUS website is so low it obscures a lot of detail (it's very low resolution with significant compression artifacts and looks like an nth generation copy of something taken with an early digital camera or scanned at a resolution appropriate for dialup connections).

I have found several like this one that appear to have the same dial but it's always a minor detail that keeps them from being exactly alike. On this one it's the minute hand.
I have noticed that out of all the many Bulova watches you can find its hard to find another exact match for just about any of them.

Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6
"Danny Burritt, around 23 years old at the time.” (SBM) I think this guy is still alive and can be ruled out according to this article from 2018: Old Racers Share Fond Memories of 1970s Bulova Series – WHEELS.ca
Thank you for posting! I found a similar article not long after I mentioned Danny. I didn’t realize a new thread had been made so I wasn’t getting notifications (my mental organization alarm clocks LOL). Maybe the culmination of case details (Bulova, racing, Canada) being tied to the racing series in general will lead to something. ;)

I
I have found several like this one that appear to have the same dial but it's always a minor detail that keeps them from being exactly alike. On this one it's the minute hand.
I have noticed that out of all the many Bulova watches you can find its hard to find another exact match for just about any of them.

You’re right! Even the faces and bands never seemed to be the same. Like the one @CJH posted... I found several with similar faces but they never had the same band. I’m assuming that was a marketing strategy in order to make the brand more appealing. Knowing that no one had a watch like yours.

The listing I found on Ebay of just the face was identical down to the date inside the small “box” near the 3. I considered bidding on it just out of curiosity and on the off chance it was part of the actual watch found on John Doe. If the suspected murder weapon can end up back in the hands of its owner, it doesn’t seem far fetched to think a watch was “misplaced”. :p

It's always interested me how NEITHER one could be identified...not one, but two people with very distinctive faces, but no one has come forward. If we assume they were running drugs, then maybe not so much. This could have been a set up or a hit....to me, it was execution style. If they were just traveling, and never returned home, you would think family, co-workers, and friends would report....

If they were just traveling, and never returned home, you would think family, co-workers, and friends would report....

It's entirely possible that they were reported missing; depending on where they were from the missing persons report may have just been local (if they were from the west coast or Canada? Slim chance of a sheriff's department in South Carolina finding out about it back in the late '70's; inter-jurisdictional information-sharing has always been a problem for policing in the US and it was much more so 40+ years ago before the Internet when things either came in by Teletype or you didn't know about them). And in a lot of cases back then missing persons reports were just ignored or treated as low-priority if the missing persons in question were of age.

It's always interested me how NEITHER one could be identified...not one, but two people with very distinctive faces, but no one has come forward. If we assume they were running drugs, then maybe not so much. This could have been a set up or a hit....to me, it was execution style. If they were just traveling, and never returned home, you would think family, co-workers, and friends would report....

Since they aren't siblings, it means two families, extended families, friends, co-workers etc. In theory in should make identification almost twice as likely. It only takes one tip.

While driving north to Pittsburgh I visited Locklair Road and the cemetery 2 weeks ago. I took videos at both locations and can post them on YouTube, if there is any interest here.

The murder site is even more remote than I realized. It is closer to 3/4 mile than 1/2 mile from the I-95 turnoff. Still remote a dirt road with virtually no traffic. I parked smack in the middle of the road at one point, with zero concern that anyone would enter the road from either direction. At the north edge of Locklair there is a home perhaps 1/4 mile in each direction, along the adjoining road. Otherwise nothing. It would have to be a local to know about Locklair Road.

Just before my trip I asked in the prior thread if anyone knew exactly where the shootings occurred along Locklair Road. Nobody replied. That is sensible, because there haven't been any reference points in 40+ years. I slowly drove the entire 1.2 miles, stopping many times. I only saw 2 potential spots, given the terrain and considering the one photo published after the bodies were discovered. One spot was smack in the middle of Locklair. There are trees on both sides there, like the photo. But I don't think a perpetrator would choose that location. It is closest to I-95. Locklair Road shifts sharply toward the highway in that area. In fact, the vehicle would be visible from I-95 in that spot. I also don't think a drifter -- like the one who reportedly found the bodies -- would be walking midway through Locklair Road, as opposed to seeing the bodies at the north entrance to Locklair. That adjoining road is considerably more traveled, with east/west traffic. I even saw some foot traffic along that road when I departed. I ended up filming the video from the spot I proposed in the prior thread, the one at the edge of Locklair a full 3/4 mile from I-95 exit ramp.

I was pleased by the cemetery. Isolated on a rural corner, perhaps a half hour west of the murder scene. Many buildings. Big parking lot. Obviously still regularly used and well kept. I did not have much trouble finding the gravesites. I thought the Does would be on the perimeter of the property, instead of toward the center alongside local families. After all, the cemetery had reason to believe that identity could be forthcoming and the bodies soon moved. I walked around the edge and found the Does quickly, near a fence. Jock is at left and Jane at right. From the looks of matters I believe they were alone in that area originally but now as space is needed there have been burials not far away to their left.

I took a 360 perspective video from the cemetery, in case anyone wants to get a feel for the location, or quickly find the spot if they visit themselves.

Interestingly, there was a very small square fenced-in cemetery within the other end of Locklair Road, the opposite side of the I-95 exit ramp. I had seen it from Bing Maps but couldn't tell if it was a cemetery. Very old plaques. Must be locals from that specific area. That cemetery also could not have accommodated a service like the one provided to the Does in 1977.

Last edited:
What is the big white block building adjacent to the cemetery? An old school?

I'll post all the pictures I took. The big building is the church itself. I didn't look too closely at the smaller buildings at left in these photos. I could see the cemetery entrance and open gate were right of the church so I parked there and headed there. From memory the other buildings might have been some type of school or day care. I think I remember swings and stuff like that, for young children, in the back yard not far from the cemetery.

BTW, the final photo is from the other area on Locklair Road that looked possible as the murder site. I realize some with favor that area based on comparison to the original newspaper photo. I don't discount the possibility. But it was so close to I-95 the road noise was overbearing. I don't think newspaper accounts would have said 1/2 mile from I-95 if the murder scene itself was perhaps 50-75 yards from freeway traffic:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that they were reported missing; depending on where they were from the missing persons report may have just been local (if they were from the west coast or Canada? Slim chance of a sheriff's department in South Carolina finding out about it back in the late '70's; inter-jurisdictional information-sharing has always been a problem for policing in the US and it was much more so 40+ years ago before the Internet when things either came in by Teletype or you didn't know about them). And in a lot of cases back then missing persons reports were just ignored or treated as low-priority if the missing persons in question were of age.
This.
Marcia Bateman, just recently identified being the I-195 Jane Doe in Michigan, went missing from Oklahoma City May 1988, and her family reported her missing in August same year, yet it was genealogy that cracked the case 31 years later. What happened to her mp report one can only guess, but she didn't seem to have been uploaded to any database, AFAIK.

Both of these cases have been filed in my memory under the category, "long eyelashes" for some time now. I think my subconscious mind must have made a connection between Jane Doe and Tiffany and my conscious mind just now caught up. So I'm going to post this possible match while it's fresh in my thoughts...

-I've attached a 'side-by-side' screenshot that contains *GRAPHIC* post mortem images; the similarities should hopefully speak for themselves (IMO)

Missing Person / NamUs #MP26191
Tiffany Doyle Felkey, Female, White / Caucasian
1964.jpg1965.jpgTiffany Doyle.jpg

Photos: "T. Doyle" - Blackford High School, San Jose, CA., 1964 & 1965; *photo attached to MP reports
Missing Since: November 6 or 8, 1974
Missing From: Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz County, California 95060
Classification: Endangered Missing
Agency Case Number: 14-00135
Investigating Agencies: Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department: (831) 454-2242
Donna Rodoni, Missing Person Investigator: (831) 471-1121
First Name: Tiffany
Middle Name:
Last Name: Doyle
Nickname/Alias: Felkey
Date of Birth: December 29, 1947
Missing Age: 26 years old
Height: 5'6”
Weight: 100 lbs
Hair Color: Unknown/Brown
Eye Color: Unknown/Brown
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A brown nylon jacket and a multicolored stocking cap. She was carrying a green day pack.
Medical Conditions: Doyle has an unspecified medical condition. It is not life-threatening, but she needs her medicine which she doesn't have with her.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Doyle may use the last name Felkey, and some agencies refer to her as Tiffany Felkey.

Details of Disappearance: Doyle was last seen in Santa Cruz, California on November 8, 1974. She may have gone hitchhiking on the day of her disappearance. She has never been heard from again and may have left of her own accord. Few details are available in her case. Doyle was originally reported missing by her sister (in 1974), but the original missing person's report was purged. She was reported missing again in 2014, nearly forty years after she was last seen.

*there are no excluded comparisons listed in Tiffany's NamUs profile

Sources:
NamUs
The Charley Project
California DOJ
Websleuths
Classmates

Attachments

• TDF SCJD side by side.png
    TDF SCJD side by side.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 285
o_O Still trying to find a connection between Tiffany and South Carolina and/or Tiffany and a missing (reported or otherwise) male - nothing yet. I was thinking about the jewelry, specifically John Doe’s ring. This may have already been asked and answered but has there ever been photos of the actual engraved initials? Rather, photos made public.

I just wonder if it’s been determined with absolute certainty that the initials are “J.P.F.”. And if so, were they documented in the order they’re engraved? First, “J”, middle, “P”, and last “F”. They could be in typical monogram form - the “P” representing a surname - or all three letters could be the same size/height - indicating the surname begins with an “F”.

Seemingly irrelevant at this point, I know. But if this is Tiffany and John Doe was a personal acquaintance of hers and not some stranger her killer happened to murder along side her, then it might be helpful to know for sure. IMO. I’ve never stopped to think about ‘what if?’ one was identified but not the other. Or one sooner than the other.

Tiffany’s initials (assuming she had no middle name, which I do not know for certain one way or the other) are “T.D”, “T.F.” or if she used both surnames, “T.D.F.” ... close to “J.P.F.”? I think so if you take into account most monogram engraving is done in cursive font.

Now, there’s Tiffany’s ex-husband. His initials are “J.A.F.” ... also close to “J.P.F.”?? If the ring was engraved to represent their initials as a married couple it would be “J.F.T.” Confused yet? :confused:

I’m not suggesting Tiffany’s “J.A.F.” is John Doe, just trying to come up with possible explanations. Maybe it was his ring and she took it with her when she left and it somehow ended up on someone else’s finger. Maybe she met someone who had similar initials, orrrrr maybe it was stolen and the killer(s) put it on Doe’s finger to drive people like me bonkers. Who knows.

I’ll attach a stock Google image of cursive letters for reference. Hopefully it will help to visualize the similarities of some cursive letters... maybe ;)

ETA- These are all simply my own opinions and theories.

Attachments

• 741F9B36-8AB2-470B-97F7-DA0D0D549970.jpeg
    741F9B36-8AB2-470B-97F7-DA0D0D549970.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 22
Possibly?? (I can’t shake the feeling about Tiffany) I haven’t been able to find any additional details yet...

**Attached are GRAPHIC postmortem images**
Earl Anthony Joggerst – The Charley Project
(Jock?)
  • Missing Since: 08/04/1972
  • Missing From: Arnold, Missouri
  • Classification: Endangered Runaway
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: White
  • Date of Birth: 04/17/1957 (62)
  • Height and Weight: 5'7 - 5'9, 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Earl has a triangular patch of pale skin, like an arrowhead, on the center of his chest. His hair was shoulder-length at the time of his disappearance. His nickname is Jay.
Details of Disappearance
Earl was last seen in Arnold, Missouri on August 4, 1972. He ran away from home with Geraldine Hearst, a friend from his school, and a thirty-year-old male. They were driving a red convertible vehicle. Geraldine was found alive in California, but Earl has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

(RBBM)

Attachments

• 267BEE51-7CFE-4BDA-B5BE-D082046235E9.jpeg
    267BEE51-7CFE-4BDA-B5BE-D082046235E9.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Possibly?? (I can’t shake the feeling about Tiffany) I haven’t been able to find any additional details yet...

**Attached are GRAPHIC postmortem images**
Earl Anthony Joggerst – The Charley Project
(Jock?)
  • Missing Since: 08/04/1972
  • Missing From: Arnold, Missouri
  • Classification: Endangered Runaway
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: White
  • Date of Birth: 04/17/1957 (62)
  • Height and Weight: 5'7 - 5'9, 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Earl has a triangular patch of pale skin, like an arrowhead, on the center of his chest. His hair was shoulder-length at the time of his disappearance. His nickname is Jay.
Details of Disappearance
Earl was last seen in Arnold, Missouri on August 4, 1972. He ran away from home with Geraldine Hearst, a friend from his school, and a thirty-year-old male. They were driving a red convertible vehicle. Geraldine was found alive in California, but Earl has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

(RBBM)

Any idea who the thirty-year-old male was?

Any idea who the thirty-year-old male was?

It doesn’t appear that anyone has been able to find much about him or Geraldine. I did a quick search for Geraldine and didn’t find anything that was related to this. I didn’t spend much time on it, surely there is something about them somewhere. They know her name and his age... I suspect they didn’t release much in the initial stages of the investigation (plus they considered him just a runaway to begin with, not sure how long exactly) for the usual reasons, then as time went by and the case got cold it just all kind of fell to the wayside :( JMO. Hopefully someone is able to find more info...

It doesn’t appear that anyone has been able to find much about him or Geraldine. I did a quick search for Geraldine and didn’t find anything that was related to this. I didn’t spend much time on it, surely there is something about them somewhere. They know her name and his age... I suspect they didn’t release much in the initial stages of the investigation (plus they considered him just a runaway to begin with, not sure how long exactly) for the usual reasons, then as time went by and the case got cold it just all kind of fell to the wayside :( JMO. Hopefully someone is able to find more info...

John Wayne Gacy popped into my mind (30 yo in 1972)... But after a quick search i found out that Joggerst was officially ruled out as a JWG's victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288