IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five seatbelt violations and two speeding tickets plus one mystery criminal misdemeanor since 1996...he wasn’t exactly known for being safety conscious! Most of us would have made sure to wear a seatbelt after the first infraction in 1996. That says a lot about his judgement IMO.

I wonder if he uses car seats/boosters for the kids?
Does his lack of safety in the car extend to the kids?
Even though just not wearing your seatbelt is dangerous to your passengers, I'm talking more directly like not securing the children.

Indeed.

Can we now have the original thread back, please?

We were having a meaningful discussion & it contained lots of useful information, including posts ( if I remember correctly) from a WS member who had voyaged on this same cruise ship.

It would be great to get it back. I wondered why it disappeared, there were no warnings and i didn’t remember any arguments.

I never thought it was an accident. JMOO!!!!
He was charged with negligent homicide, if they thought they would be able to prove he acted with intent they could have charged him with murder. But the entire incident is very odd!

Definitely would be interesting to view the video, to observe him immediately before the incident.

Indeed.

Can we now have the original thread back, please?

We were having a meaningful discussion & it contained lots of useful information, including posts ( if I remember correctly) from a WS member who had voyaged on this same cruise ship.
Really! There was great stuff there.
I just found the video of the deck tour that the WS member had posted.

eta, just noticed there is a link on the prior page for it too. Leaving just in case

Last edited:
Especially a window 150 feet high over concrete.

And when those windows are tilted back...
to bang on it one would have had to lean forward. Then there’s the railing. When has a bar of railing ever been marketed for seating? Especially when that safety railing is at chest height for the average adult.

edit: grammar. Also to add: in the original thread there were original reports with quotes of him saying “he lost his balance and she fell”

It’s so aggravating to lose those original source documents.

Last edited:
Five seatbelt violations and two speeding tickets plus one mystery criminal misdemeanor since 1996...he wasn’t exactly known for being safety conscious! Most of us would have made sure to wear a seatbelt after the first infraction in 1996. That says a lot about his judgement IMO.
For real, because those were just the times he got caught.

it’s been 30 years since I was last pulled over, but not the last time since I exceeded the posted limit. But I’m cautious enough to fall in flow, not weaving in and out.

Anyway, I don’t want to see the video but I sure want to hear which narrative it fits.

Even in the photos you could easily see the difference between one open window and the ones that were closed. Not to mention the ocean breeze that would have made it apparent the window was open.

My opinion has always been that he held her up to an open window, knowing the window was open. Whether the purpose was for her to see outside, or to sit her on the rail, or something else, I believe he knew the window was open.

In the earliest reports about the tragic "accident", a crew member who witnessed the incident said that the grandfather was rocking the child back and forth on the window sill. If true, SA certainly knew that the window was open. I posted the media report on the original thread. On my way out for an appointment this morning but will try to find it later. Sure wish the previous discussion could be resurrected.

IMO the “banging on the glass like at a hockey game” story came out later.

Yes, that story about banging on the glass emerged after the attorney got involved. The original story was that grandfather held her up to the window and “lost his balance.”

It really annoyed me that the attorney misrepresented the location of the windows as if they were right there in the children’s play area. Not true at all.

I've never quite understood this story. Honestly I think he had to have known the window was open? As for the hockey glass...that window looks nothing like that in my opinion?

I think it was negligence, but to charge him with manslaughter...I'm not sure how I feel about that either. When they immediately blamed and sued the cruise ship...well that was creepy and weird too.

I'm all over the place with this one. I'm just not totally sure about any of this?

I've never quite understood this story. Honestly I think he had to have known the window was open? As for the hockey glass...that window looks nothing like that in my opinion?

I think it was negligence, but to charge him with manslaughter...I'm not sure how I feel about that either. When they immediately blamed and sued the cruise ship...well that was creepy and weird too.

I'm all over the place with this one. I'm just not totally sure about any of this?

MOO, they immediately blamed and sued the cruise line to take the blame off of grandpa. And I am sure they don’t want to feel like a family member is responsible for the death of their daughter.

Anyone can sue anyone at any time, that doesn’t mean that they will win. Often companies with deep pockets will just pay something to settle and make it go away.

I work on the safety crew for a major sporting event and you wouldn’t believe the number of people who sue the venue after nearly every event. Someone trips and falls while drunk- then they sue. They let their young kids stand on the wall, or on the back of the stadium seat, then sue when the kid falls and gets injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94