MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

Hi All! Well, no real updates. I did recently talk to Kim and I don't believe she calls Ypsilanti very often. I told her I would be calling them at least once a week, but then again, I can't make her do it. I have not been able to verify that Ypsi did have the DNA entered into CODIS but since the Michigan State Police crime lab was involved, I'd assume it has been entered. Bye for now. Justice for Julia!!! She is in my prayers constantly.
I’m sure it must be very difficult and painful for Julia’s Mom to keep reliving the horrific death of her daughter by talking to LE.

However, imagine the victory she will have by knowing her collaboration with LE, some little nugget of info or detail, was the deciding factor in solving this case!
What an incredible triumph over evil that would be.

Praying for Julia’s mom that she has the strength to keep pressing towards justice, and that she will double down on her efforts with LE.
I’ve seen clips of her speaking on the news, and she looks like a strong woman who will continue to fight for justice!

Justice for Julia!

Amateur opinion and speculation

Hi Everyone - Julia's thread has been so quiet, so I thought I would share some research on serial killers that I found interesting, and thought you might too.

PDF you can download:

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/201801.0010/v1/download

Some highlights:

• Victims were mostly females (75.4%) and their ages ranged from 8 to 91 years.
• All (100%) of the serial killers were males.
• The average educational level for killers was a high school certificate or further education (70.2%).
• "The high education level reflects the intelligence level of these offenders". P.14
• 32.6% of killers were diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder.
• The relationships between the killers and the victims were mostly a customer and client relationship with (41.5%), then comes strangers (31.5%), acquaintances (12.1%), and finally targeted strangers with (11.7%) percentage.
• Number of victims in the scene ranged from 2 to 23 victims with 2 to 4 victims as the largest group with (60.9%), then 5 to 9 victims with (27.2%), and 10 or more with (12%) percentages.
• The motives for the killers were mostly for sex (81.5%)

And yes, this type of depraved and vicious attack could not have been the only time this Perp struck.

Never, never give up hope for Justice for Julia!

Thanks for the link to the research document. Without trying to sound too critical of that paper and its author, it really isn't much of a research paper, and it is so confusing that it's easy for anyone reading it to be misled.

I too was misled when I found some table indicating that 100% of serial killers are male. That simply is far from the truth. The link below offers some more verifiable information about the percentage comparisons. Apparently, about 80% of all serial killers are male, and 20% are female. It's an interesting little article.

Serial Killer Myth #3: They Are All Men

Cheers.

Thanks for the link to the research document. Without trying to sound too critical of that paper and its author, it really isn't much of a research paper, and it is so confusing that it's easy for anyone reading it to be misled.

I too was misled when I found some table indicating that 100% of serial killers are male. That simply is far from the truth. The link below offers some more verifiable information about the percentage comparisons. Apparently, about 80% of all serial killers are male, and 20% are female. It's an interesting little article.

Serial Killer Myth #3: They Are All Men

Cheers.
Max, thanks for the link. What are your thoughts on the Niswender case? Welcome to Websleuths!

Does anyone know if they checked into co-workers or even professors or even neighbors not just from her building I'm getting the feeling she knew him but kept him a secret hence phone in tub and haven't heard anyone say anything about her dating
They can't just look into people at random; that would violate people's constitutional rights. There has to be something pointing in a suspect's direction before the police will investigate that person. I'm sure LE has followed up on whatever leads they have.

They can't just look into people at random; that would violate people's constitutional rights. There has to be something pointing in a suspect's direction before the police will investigate that person. I'm sure LE has followed up on whatever leads they have.
I seem to recall somewhere in Julia's thread that she was described as being very social with a wide array of friends and that she dated a similarly wide array of guys. This would make LE's task doubly difficult IWT. Quite a large pool to sift through. However, the DNA sample, IIRC, did help narrow the scope significantly to race and a male with a vasectomy.

This 2015 United Nations report tells us that 1 in 10 men in the U.S. have a vasectomy. That does help narrow the Suspect focus:
https://www.un.org/en/development/d...f/family/trendsContraceptiveUse2015Report.pdf

I would think that people can look into people at random, as long as they don't harass, search without a warrant etc. I presume police has interviewed many people, including some of the neighbors. But I don't know if they systematically looked into all people who lived in the same building (which is a large number). With my limited resources, I have looked through people living nearby as far as I can track that and looked for connections. I found various connections, but no smoking gun. I believe that the perpetrator lived nearby, but that is just my gut feeling. It does not have to be the case.

IIRC, it said in the search warrant affidavit that one DNA sample was consistent with a male who had a vasectomy, but there are no further details. I presume that means that either the semen did not contain sperm, or that the semen contained mostly dead sperm cells. There could be other reasons for that.
I think we cannot be certain that the perpetrator had a vasectomy.

I don't recall that the DNA pointed toward a particular race, or excluded any race, but I could be wrong.

I would think that people can look into people at random, as long as they don't harass, search without a warrant etc. I presume police has interviewed many people, including some of the neighbors. But I don't know if they systematically looked into all people who lived in the same building (which is a large number). With my limited resources, I have looked through people living nearby as far as I can track that and looked for connections. I found various connections, but no smoking gun. I believe that the perpetrator lived nearby, but that is just my gut feeling. It does not have to be the case.

IIRC, it said in the search warrant affidavit that one DNA sample was consistent with a male who had a vasectomy, but there are no further details. I presume that means that either the semen did not contain sperm, or that the semen contained mostly dead sperm cells. There could be other reasons for that.
I think we cannot be certain that the perpetrator had a vasectomy.

I don't recall that the DNA pointed toward a particular race, or excluded any race, but I could be wrong.
Hi Black Squirrel - long time no "see". Thanks for being a faithful on the thread; it's been a long journey it seems.
Yes, I have also heard that certain diseases or treatments may effect the semen in a manner that would mimic a man with a vasectomy, however I think those are definitely a small percentage, or outlier cases. I would hope that the sophistication of the consulting agencies would be able to rule in, or rule out various factors.

Speculating, I think LE has long had their Perp in site, and needs cooperation and additional information from one individual to bring this matter to closure. Let's hope that individual will do the right thing. I'm sure they'd sleep better at night.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Hi Black Squirrel - long time no "see". Thanks for being a faithful on the thread; it's been a long journey it seems.
Yes, I have also heard that certain diseases or treatments may effect the semen in a manner that would mimic a man with a vasectomy, however I think those are definitely a small percentage, or outlier cases. I would hope that the sophistication of the consulting agencies would be able to rule in, or rule out various factors.

Speculating, I think LE has long had their Perp in site, and needs cooperation and additional information from one individual to bring this matter to closure. Let's hope that individual will do the right thing. I'm sure they'd sleep better at night.

Amateur opinion and speculation only
Do you think that one individual is Julia's mother, yes or no?

Do you think that one individual is Julia's mother, yes or no?
I’m not a verified insider on this case, so anything I post is pure amateur speculation and opinion.
Not appropriate for me to post anyone’s name. I will say I have 100% faith in YPSI LE and the other agencies supporting this case.

I’m not a verified insider on this case, so anything I post is pure amateur speculation and opinion.
Not appropriate for me to post anyone’s name. I will say I have 100% faith in YPSI LE and the other agencies supporting this case.
The entire purpose of the thread is for people to post their opinions...if people are just going to post platitudes here, websleuths might as well close up shop.
Let me put it another way: when you say that LE needs one person's cooperation, do you have a particular person in mind?
Incidentally, Julia's stepfather James Turnquist has been named a person of interest Julia's murder, so his name can be used freely.

Julia Niswender's stepfather named person of interest in her death, police say

The entire purpose of the thread is for people to post their opinions...if people are just going to post platitudes here, websleuths might as well close up shop.
Let me put it another way: when you say that LE needs one person's cooperation, do you have a particular person in mind?
Incidentally, Julia's stepfather James Turnquist has been named a person of interest Julia's murder, so his name can be used freely.

Julia Niswender's stepfather named person of interest in her death, police say

Agreed! This thread is so frustrating. And I will probably get banned for this - but who cares! Why aren’t we hearing more from her mother in the news to find out what happened! Why isn’t her mom here, when her grandfather is, trying to find solutions and get help. Why isn’t her mom
speaking to the press for help! I am
Sure we can speculate. There are so many of us who have been following this situation for years, willing to help. No doubt her mom knows this. The fact that this is not receiving attention or is unsolved is unacceptable. With all the interest in true crime, the fact her mom isn’t talking to every true crime podcast is telling. Join me in getting banned?

Agreed! This thread is so frustrating. And I will probably get banned for this - but who cares! Why aren’t we hearing more from her mother in the news to find out what happened! Why isn’t her mom here, when her grandfather is, trying to find solutions and get help. Why isn’t her mom
speaking to the press for help! I am
Sure we can speculate. There are so many of us who have been following this situation for years, willing to help. No doubt her mom knows this. The fact that this is not receiving attention or is unsolved is unacceptable. With all the interest in true crime, the fact her mom isn’t talking to every true crime podcast is telling. Join me in getting banned?
There's no basis for our being banned. James Turnquist is the only named POI, and Julia's mother is his alibi. I think that she gave him a phony alibi, and I think that's only reason why this case hasn't been solved.

There should be no bans if we all stay within TOS. Good to see new input again.

hello again @Black-squirrel ! Good to see you are still here.

I wish there would be another update from LE, if only to say they are still working on this. :(
I think the next update from LE will be an arrest. November?

amateur opinion and speculation

Short Update on Julia's case......

Kim (Julia's mother) has been sending questions to the Ypsilanti Police. They will only talk to her as they stated in November 2018. Recently I sent Kim some questions for her to send to the Chief of Police. He sent her the answers. One question was who and when was the DNA profile entered into CODIS? The answer was the Michigan State Police (MSP) Crime Lab entered the DNA profile into CODIS in September 2015. I'm glad this was done but unfortunately there have been no matches since then. The MSP have been very helpful by answering some of my "general" questions, but they cannot discuss case specific type of questions. So now, my research will continue and as "old timers" on this thread know that the Ypsi Police have done an extensive investigation of Julia's co-workers, friends and neighbors.

Unfortunately for most of the time on this case, there has been only one detective working it. There have not been many public updates from Ypsi LE concerning this case. I would have thought the more publicity given early on would have been helpful in getting some "leads". Ypsi LE does not seem to like the idea of more publicity even today! They now have two detectives but I'm not sure if both are working this case. We (the family) have been told on numerous occasions and meetings with LE that this is a very solvable case. My comment is: "It's been almost seven years, why not get some "outside" help!" Time moves on. I will be with my family around the 10th of December for our seventh candlelight vigil.

Thanks to all on this thread for your thoughts and ideas. One day (I hope soon!) we will have Justice for Julia.

Thanks for coming by, Trojan. If am trusted by the slowness and what seems a lack of interest, I cannot imagine your frustrations (((hug)))

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back